Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shangri-La Frontier
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 28, 11:34 AM
Aug 2023
While I liked the character's personalities, the humor, and the animation, this entire 25 episode season (+Recap) has been woefully lacking in characterization and story. Both characters and story lack development, depth, and substance. Most of the fights lacked substance, especially earlier on, and potential story and character development points are negligently passed by for more meaningless things that lack significance.

For example, why does Pencilgon have such a soft spot for the ghost at the grave? They could have taken the time to explore that for character development especially after that boss defeat, but nope! One could argue they're hinting at it, and will explore it later; however they've been hinting at it many many times already as subtle hints before the boss fight, after the boss defeat it was the right time to share, but they didn't, they only showed her at the grave again sad. That moment was screaming it was the time to reveal more, but they didn't. It came off instead as a carrot on a stick scam designed to string the audience along.

That's not the only instance, they could have developed the story more after the boss defeat by explaining why the boss was cursed to protect that grave for so long, they did not. Or what's the deal with the ghost and the grave, they did not. Or why the Daddy Vorpal Rabbit guy is connected to them, they did not. For stressing the importance of game lore so much, this show is not very forth coming with developing and revealing the lore. Alright, aside from the game why don't they reveal and develop more of the characters? What's the deal with Pencilgon's brother who she backstabbed? No huh? Well what's the deal with Pencilgon's modeling, how does that connect to how her character is? How about how the MC reacted when he met her IRL? Or with the professional gamer guy? No? Okay how about expanding on the stalker girl, why is her family rich? How did she start playing SLF? What's the deal with her sister who's the leader of a clan? How about anything that doesn't treat stalker girl like a joke or plot driver convenience? No, no, and more no? Alright, how about we talk more with Emul and Bilac, ask them if they're AIs and find out how much they understand about the outside world, they do understand the concept of the MC logging out after all. No? Okay then what's this about NPC deaths being permanent, are they afraid about that now that they're fighting along side the MC? What, that's not a concern to even discuss? Okay since the MC doesn't know how he triggered the unique vorpal event, why not ask Emul and Bilac if they know why, or the reason why the MC was chosen? No, too huh? ...

Like come on, all those avenues of growth, development, and revelations, and not one path followed. I can't see anyone defending this show to say they rather not have any development, growth, or revelation of those things I've listed. At best one could say it's still coming, but given how little that has been dole out in 25 episodes, it's really hard to say those aren't carrots on sticks meant to bait the audience to keep mindlessly following without ever giving enough of a payoff.

I really wish it wasn't so because I do like the character's personalities, the show's humor, and the animation, but I'm starved for characterization and story. I mean the first 4 or 5 episodes I was bored out of the skull because it was just the MC doing tedious uninteresting stuff without substance, he was barely interacting with anyone. Finally he got Emul and started talking with her, Pencilgon, and that pro gamer guy. Thankfully that made the show tolerable at least, but there's been very little advancement in characterization and story since to be worthy to fill 20 episodes.

All in all, this was better than the similar Bofuri, and more tolerable than SAO, both of which I despise. I hope S2 improves, but fear it's going to be more of the same. 6/10. I don't hate VRMMO animes, as it stands Log Horizon is probably the best I've seen so far, although it got a little worse each season, and it doesn't look like anymore are coming.
Apr 30, 10:41 AM

Jan 2014
I wish I could relive those days when I feel that excitement about a mmorpg.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

May 2, 11:58 PM
Oct 2007
Enjoyed the ride through and through! Used to be a hardcore gamer myself!

Season 2 can't come soon enough!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 3:35 AM
Dec 2020
animation goated
May 11, 9:21 AM

Dec 2016
RynoSwagman said:
DURR HURR I'm going to act like I don't understand a meme, reciprocate with a NO U reply and end it with a stupid pointless LMAO. Good god, I'm such a genius

Okay sweetie, now go back to playing in the sandbox with the other special kids.

May 16, 5:00 AM

Jun 2019
My 268th completed series chronologically.

For the record, i extended it a 6/10 rating.

May 17, 3:12 PM
Apr 2024
fantastic Show ..
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 18

91 by Huperchild »»
May 21, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24

60 by KyoyaTempest »»
May 19, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2023

91 by leeyo69 »»
May 17, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 11

156 by Akapilka »»
May 15, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2023

106 by SojuBonk »»
May 13, 10:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.