Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 24, 7:59 PM

Apr 2023
For fans of the Solo Leveling Webtoon: What are your thoughts on this anime? Does it do a good job adapting the manhwa?

I know there's not a good history of anime adapting Webtoons...looking at you God of High School. But hopefully Solo Leveling isn't that way but I haven't read the Webtoon so I can't speak on that.

Though I think it's safe to say the manhwa is better.
If I had to choose between One Piece and a girlfriend...I think I'll go with One Piece
Mar 24, 8:18 PM
Aug 2021
The anime is decent. Solo Leveling wasn't the greatest material ever. The animation is good and that's really all that matters the story is mid anyway.

Also we have had like 3 webtoon adaptations before and one was pretty good so it's hard to say the history is bad
Mar 24, 8:19 PM

Apr 2023
Reply to Ri-iel
The anime is decent. Solo Leveling wasn't the greatest material ever. The animation is good and that's really all that matters the story is mid anyway.

Also we have had like 3 webtoon adaptations before and one was pretty good so it's hard to say the history is bad
@Ri-iel Which one was bad? Was it Tower of God?
If I had to choose between One Piece and a girlfriend...I think I'll go with One Piece
Mar 24, 8:30 PM
Aug 2021
Fukoku said:

I thought Tower of God was a really good adaption
Mar 24, 8:32 PM

Apr 2023
Ri-iel said:
Fukoku said:

I meant to say good lol but if Tower of God is good I’ll give it a shot
Mar 24, 8:32 PM
Sep 2020
Web toon is good tier art and a masterpiece but we have to understand that anime can't always match that cause not all studios have ufotable or mappa budget for the pilot season. I still liked the anime alot abs think they did well.
Mar 24, 10:38 PM
Oct 2021
I will be honest solo leveling manga wasn’t the best, I think it was over hyped, not that it was bad but I would say that the manga was a 7/10 and the anime makes it a 8-9/10
Mar 24, 11:59 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
not perfect but still great! 9/10 from me
Mar 25, 1:32 AM
Jul 2020
As an adaptation A1 have done a great job with it. Solo is a fun read overall. Not anything phenomenal, but overall pretty enjoyable.
Mar 25, 1:46 AM
Dec 2022
nah adaptation was kinda ass. but i didnt expect it to be good either. there was no way it could ever match the manwha quality.
there were so many unnecessary bits about the jeju island which imo doesn't have much reference till later in the series. ig they just wanted to show off the S rank hunters that way.
fight scenes were good tho but i really wished the color schemes would match the manwha.
Mar 25, 1:57 AM
Feb 2020
direction of this is quite boring, too much unnecessary internal monologues on simple things, animation wise it was overshadowed by ninja kamui (thanks to the sungho park's great direction), great ost by sawano, great voice acting, they are not messing around with plot, pacing is good
it's decent but could be better, i mean this is hype power fantasy type of show and it should be carried by animation, igris fight was really cool tho. at least i hope they don't ruin the "arise" in next episode
Mar 25, 2:10 AM
Jul 2021
I think the pacing ist a bit slow but since they obviously wanted to make *that fight* the season finale I'd say It's fine, I think it started of as a 10/10 went down to a 9 there were some 7-8-ish episodes but with the season finale I think it'll eventually be a 10/10 (I haven't seen the most recent episode yet)
Mar 25, 3:52 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to Ri-iel
Fukoku said:

@Ri-iel I hope you're joking, the Tog anime is one of the worst adaptations ever
Mar 25, 3:55 AM
Dec 2017
Not at all satisfied, they only ruined leveling with their terrible rhythm, their flat direction and their fluctuating animations, I don't understand why people say it's good when it's clearly a product below expectations...
Mar 25, 5:03 AM
Jul 2021
ehhhh i’d give web toon an 8 and and the anime a 7.5. Purely because it’s impossible to keep the level of animation similar to how good the web toon was. Also the beginning sequence wasn’t really that good.
Mar 25, 6:30 AM
Jun 2021
animation was fluid but wasn’t insane over the top ufotable

i guess because of the less impressive animation a lot of people got to focus on the plot which is what happened to me

i’ve always known solo leveling had insane art and panels but now that i watch this anime it makes me realize how mediocre the plot is

7/10 - enjoyable but not revolutionary for webtoom adaptations, also not better than the manhwa
Mar 25, 9:35 AM
Oct 2022
Ofc the source material is better, but with that said, I’m loving the anime. The animation in really good (especially for A1 who are usually hit and miss). Some people think the story is generic, and that may be so but I still enjoy it.
Mar 25, 11:43 AM

Jul 2013
The webtoon is maybe a 7-7.5. It's nothing special but it's still a fun power fantasy with (mostly) great art.
The anime is a 5.5-6. It looks much worse than the webtoon and it's too slow. s1 will end when the series starts to get interesting.

I can understand wanting to focus more on some of the side characters and to prepare future plot points but the characters and the plot simply aren't deep enough to warrant these "fillers"/anime original scenes.
Mar 25, 1:44 PM
Mar 2019
it's an awesome adaptation made better it's so good the English dub voice actors don't miss can't wait the demon castle arc, Jeju island arc the fight between jinwoo and the s rank hunter in the construction site and Japan crisis arc.
Mar 25, 3:59 PM
Mar 2020
Ah, the age-old question of manga vs. anime. The manga offers a more detailed and immersive experience with its artwork and pacing which allows you to savor the story at your own pace. On the other hand, the anime adaptation is bringing the story to life with animation, ost, and voice acting, adding a new dimension to the characters and action sequences. The anime is good, i love how they are sticking a lot to the manga but it cannot compare to the excitement and the feelings the manga gives you.
Mar 25, 4:08 PM

Aug 2020
Im really looking forward to Viral Hit next season.
Keep scrolling
Mar 25, 5:03 PM
Jan 2021
Fukoku said:

God of Highschool and Noblese
Mar 25, 5:04 PM

Apr 2023
Blindsilo94 said:
Fukoku said:

God of Highschool and Noblese

Oh yeah God of High School was awful (as a hardcore Webtoon fan)
Mar 26, 1:15 AM
Oct 2021
I'm not a big power fantacy fan but I'm enjoying so far. A1 really doing a great job. This is probably their best looking show yet.
Mar 26, 5:50 AM
Jul 2023
I think that the anime rally does do justice to the webtoon. Many argue that the story is pretty basic, and I won't speak on that, but I think that the anime is pretty enjoyable overall in bringing the webtoon to life.

I also really enjoy the little original scenes that weren't there in the webtoon, it adds more depth to the supporting characters and future arcs imo
Mar 26, 7:25 AM
Oct 2022
@Fukoku
Yes the Manwha was better for me in most of the parts, but gotta say A1 did a decent work. IDC what others may think or hate the anime , IMO I just love it ❤️
Mar 26, 7:31 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I read the novels Yen Press released of this. Can't remember much from the earlier volumes but I enjoy this enough to continue watching. My main issue would be with the voice acting though and the fact that they don't look much Korean or asian at all. But it's anime so...
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Mar 26, 7:49 AM

Jan 2009
they added a lot of bonus content that are not part of the webtoon and i like the additions
Mar 26, 9:51 AM
Nov 2021
I think they did a pretty good job!
Mar 26, 3:59 PM

Jul 2019
Reply to Ri-iel
Fukoku said:

@Ri-iel I'm sorry, but...Tower of God? The one that rushed 78 chapters in 13 episodes, changed the source in ways that ruins later parts of the story as well as dumbing down the dialogue immensely? That Tower of God?
Subarashii
Apr 1, 5:35 PM
Dec 2023
I feel like the anime has been really slow paced. I haven’t read the webtoon, but I saw that the first 5 episodes only cover the first volume. Like the hell kinda pacing is that?
Apr 1, 8:38 PM
Mar 2023
Overall decent. As a fan, it felt underwhelming due to less details and emphasis on the iconic panels and moments. But it is what it is, a solid 7.5-8/10.
Apr 1, 11:38 PM

Jul 2009
If we're talking about adaptation quality, it's very well done. They kept close to the source material, but also added anime original stuff to show more of the side characters than the source material does, which means they're trying to get rid of the biggest flaw the story has: The lack of side character and story development.

The pacing is a bit off due to these scene, but since the original author is even working with the studio to help with the story and all, it's pretty safe to say the story won't get butchered later on.

They improved smaller things like slowing the MC's change in character and making some fights longer and harder than they were in the manhwa.
They also got rid of a few details that may seem like a bad idea to not include, but now that I think back on the manhwa, I think it was a good idea to get rid of it.

And obviously you can't cram every single detail from a novel into an anime episode, so there is cut content, but that's a given and will always happen to every adaptation ever, but imo the things they cut weren't too important most of the time.
May 27, 6:58 PM
Nov 2021
Fantastic adaptation. Lots of fan. As for the webtoon if anyone is interested in it after seeing the anime...Look the story is silly slop, but the art is freaking amazing and incredibly influential and carries hard. Also while it's a generic video game isekai power fantasy, it has some decent pacing, world building, and is unintentionally funny with how cool and edgy they try to make the MC. It is unironically a fun read despite the writing not being that tight
May 28, 5:05 PM
Nov 2016
I loved this anime so damn much that I started reading the webtoon from the beginning and finished it in a week so yeah, the anime is awesome and the webtoon is awesome too, they aren't the best thing out there but goddamn, I enjoyed it.

The story in this franchise is not the best thing but it keeps me entertained so it gets the job done, the real strength of the anime and the webtoon is the art and animation, I say the anime has awesome animation, but not on the level of Demon Slayer or One Punch Man S1 since they are on a league on their own with an 11/10, but I say the animation in this anime is a 9/10 so it's pretty damn good, and the art in the webtoon is obviously a 10/10 and it's in color too which made it even more enjoyable.

Again, the story isn't the real strength in this franchise, it's the art and animation IMHO.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Mar 30

391 by MainAxe9880 »»
Today, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

303 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

167 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 6:24 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 9

228 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 6:02 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 2

280 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 5:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.