Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Sign of Affection
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 24, 2:35 AM

Feb 2020
As an Anime only fan of this show I feel compelled to share my thoughts on Itsuomi's character. While the story beautifully explores various themes and emotions, I can't help but find Itsuomi's character somewhat bland amidst the rich tapestry of personalities.

Itsuomi, introduced as a romantic interest for Yuki, lacks the depth and complexity I've come to expect from characters in this show. He seems to fulfill a stereotypical role without much nuance or development.

Itsuomi's interactions with Yuki often feel superficial. While there's a compelling dynamic between them, it's overshadowed by the lack of meaningful exchanges and genuine emotional connections from Itsuomi's side undermines the believability of their relationship.

Additionally, Itsuomi's personality lacks distinct traits that make him stand out. He doesn't have quirks or defining characteristics that make him memorable relying solely on his handsome looks, further contributing to his blandness

While this maybe because "A Sign of Affection" employs a solo point of view, focusing on Yuki's journey. Anime such as Kaguya-sama uses a dual perspective, alternating between Kaguya and Miyuki. This creates a deep, introspective narrative in "A Sign of Affection" versus a dynamic exploration of character dynamics in Kaguya-sama.

Let's take 'Wotakoi' for example that similarly utilizes a solo point of view, yet it distinguishes itself by excelling in character development, creating a lasting impact on the audience through its introspective narrative.

I share Oushi's skepticism about Itsuomi's character. Despite his presence, the lack of insight into his motives raises doubts. I find myself questioning his true intentions. His feelings for Yuki seem unconvincing, lacking sincere genuineness.

While the recent glimpse into his backstory (his Dream) adds depth, there's still room for the author to explore aspects of his personality that set him apart and make him more compelling to the viewers.

Overall, while "A Sign of Affection" excels in many aspects, Itsuomi's character falls short in terms of depth and complexity. As the story progresses, I hope to see more layers added to his character, allowing viewers to truly connect with him on an emotional level.
Mar 24, 3:17 AM

Jan 2013
He's a little too perfect and laid back, but otherwise, I think you're focusing too much on his looks, there's certainly more depth to him.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 24, 3:51 AM
Mar 2022
Archfiend836 said:
While the recent glimpse into his backstory (his Dream) adds depth, there's still room for the author to explore aspects of his personality that set him apart and make him more compelling to the viewers.

Read the manga you will know more about itsuomi!
Mar 24, 4:31 AM
Jul 2022
I found his actions somewhat questionable before. But when they started dating it didn't feel like that anymore and after that I really enjoyed the show.
Mar 24, 7:12 AM

Mar 2023
You don't see any bad qualities in him? I daresay you are a girl, for a girl from the real world would definitely point out a significant flaw in this character - ignorance of a person's personal boundaries lol. Nagi is perfect, but me, a guy, was pissed off by his habit of putting his hand on the head of a girl he hardly knows, and touching her in general without permission. That's a flaw, though maybe Japanese girls like that element of shoujo.

Read the manga, where Nagi is revealed better than in the anime.
Mar 24, 8:34 AM
Jun 2021
kisaragi_eki said:
Archfiend836 said:

Not OP but could you tell me which chapter to start the manga with? Aka. up to which chapter does the manga adapt
Mar 24, 11:50 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to Reflesh
kisaragi_eki said:
Archfiend836 said:

Not OP but could you tell me which chapter to start the manga with? Aka. up to which chapter does the manga adapt
@Reflesh start from 21. Anime skipped stuff from and rushed the relationship of the other couples
Mar 24, 11:59 AM
Jun 2021
MewZura said:
@Reflesh start from 21. Anime skipped stuff from and rushed the relationship of the other couples

thank you man🙏
Apr 7, 8:18 PM
Oct 2016
itsuomi and yuki are perfect for each other. throughout so much of their lives, they feel as if they're worlds apart from the people they're with. despite their love for humanity and passion for communication, they always felt short of reaching a deeper level with people. they just want to do the right thing and not be in anyones way. hence, the whole premise of the show is crossing into each others distant worlds. the first time itsuomi crossed into yuki's world, he was mouthing when she asked for his contact details. she later realized he motioned obviously so she understands clearly. the first time someone crossed into itsuomi's world, it was when he worked hard on the spot to remember in german how to ask another kid at the park to play soccer with him.

so all the reasons we dont like itsuomi, might as well be the same reason we don't like bland and uninteresting yuki. what does she even do? what does she even like? she has no personality, she just tags along and bumbles through life like a boring person. except, we know she's not. sequestered into her own personal world, we learn all about her thoughts and her feelings and what it's like to be her. so for someone trapped in their own far away world, wouldn't itsuomi feel the same things she feels? i think it would have disrespected my discernment for the author to ostensibly express "hey guys lets look at itsuomi's personal world! he's an off-kilter thought thinker too, just like yuki!".

i think it's a perfect story, and perfectly written, and i think itsuomi is a perfect fit for yuki. the author doesn't have to justify itsuomi's personhood, the artistry of the writing would be betrayed if they did. also i find it very cute that the hook in their relationship is just to obsessively know more about each other, and learn how to communicate as effectively as possible to each other. for each of them, it's what they've wanted most.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10

140 by KandyJar »»
May 21, 9:29 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 3

127 by Phixiately »»
May 18, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

196 by Hachimitsuchan »»
May 14, 1:51 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

126 by Phixiately »»
May 11, 7:24 AM

» About OST

demonaman293 - May 1

1 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
May 1, 4:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.