Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
With everyone gathered at the Imperial Palace, a war is soon breaking out, and Shizuma, like Kyoushirou and his gang, is also heading there via the air balloons to stop the abduction of the emperor.

It's clear who are the enemies, though Shizuma will not sheathe his sword against , who deals with his own fiancée in the line of fire. And despite her wanting to end her own life, Shizuma would not allow her to, with the woman winning out the fight. But it's not to last as she gets shot down by one of Hiramatsu's men, even if Shizuma could kill him with his handy swordmanship.

The mastermind himself on a ship in the darkness, both Kyoushirou, Dario, and surprisingly Shizuma find themselves on that ship, with Kyoushirou facing Hiramatsu and Shizuma facing Gotou, the age of the samurai is truly over with Matsudaira Kotawara's clock. Now all that remains is Shizuma and Kyoushirou's fight to the death, though an interruption slash from Hiramatsu stopped their fight, in light of the latter losing his life, but finally getting the pride he always wanted to achieve.

In the end, El Dorado is no gold, but a secret place in Ezo for outcasts living in freedom, an experimental farm by the joint venture of the Prussians and Shogunate.

What a mess this show is from start to finish, Welp, that's Crunchyroll Originals for you.
Mar 17, 9:18 AM
Dec 2017
First episode gave me some hope, but then...what a mess in terms of a story and logic. Goofy characters came and left, some stuff happened just because production staff needed it to happen, etc. And a sendoff for the Main Villain and his Evil Plan was...yeah.
Revenger/10.
Mar 17, 11:52 AM
Mar 2017
What an absolute trainwreck this episode was.

He lands on the rooftop and mr. guy shows up outta nowhere with a scimitar looking for a fight...
He talks with sumie to the guy and mr. guy shows up outta nowhere again with a gun this time looking for a fight...
Burn guy somehow survives a raging inferno so that he can be another fight
The two dudes fight each other at the end even though they no longer have a reason to because "cool"
Somehow archer kid can shoot better than ever before with only one arm. Makes a lot of sense.
A bunch of doubles that look identical inside of a prison. All of the beards look identical. They getting groomed meticulously in prison or what?

This episode was a disaster. This series was mid af. I regret wasting time watching it.
nestharusMar 17, 11:55 AM
Mar 17, 12:38 PM
Oct 2020
meiji gekken is best anime in this season worth to watch
Mar 17, 1:13 PM

Feb 2018
at least tell me what archer girl(?) did after kyoushirou was dead
Mar 17, 1:19 PM
Aug 2017
Meh, quite predictable ending
Mar 17, 1:41 PM

Feb 2019
Legit have no idea what this show was trying to do after the promising first episode. Easily worst show this season.
Mar 17, 2:24 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah the show had no point. Too many one note characters in a convoluted rushed plot with cliche endings.

A whole lot of meh so 5/10.
Mar 17, 3:02 PM

Jul 2021
Decent ending to the story, but the pacing felt more rushed than ever. I'm impressed they even managed to tie off this many loose ends.

I'm glad I watched this show this season, but it's a real shame it turned out so messy and under-watched.

The anime industry is probably going to learn the wrong lesson here and decide that historical adventure does not sell. Which is double the shame.

Mar 17, 3:57 PM
Aug 2017
Reply to Zudoba
at least tell me what archer girl(?) did after kyoushirou was dead
@DancinMuffin It's a boy and I think (hope) he joined the El Dorado farm and lived in peace for the rest of his life
Mar 17, 4:34 PM
Jul 2022
Bro cried more for Kyoshiro than for his girlfriend 💀
Mar 17, 5:27 PM
Aug 2020
I think that i was expecting more blood and something memorable but at the end, the animation was just good enough instead of giving us great fights etc

For the story, too many predictable scenes, instead of surprising us with something different.

I will give it 6/10 because they try something but without a good budget, it was probably too ambitious for them…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Mar 17, 5:42 PM

Apr 2020
Nice ending and very nice sword fight, similar to the levels of the Like a Dragon games series in terms of dramatic excitement.

The undercover agent discovered that women can win over justice (love over justice.) Such as when the MC rescued his spouse, ignoring his duties.

Throughout the show, the MC has been dealing with the dilemma of whether he is a traitor to Aizu or not. For him, Aizu meant the community he grew up in and tried to protect. That equates to valuing his friend's wish of finding and protecting his would-be spouse. And when he met the former lord of Aizu, he mentioned that rebelling against the new government wouldn't be a good thing because it won't bring back the people that were lost. Although it's a bit cliche, it makes sense for multiple reasons. Primarily because the community is gone, and there is no good reason to continue shrinking what's left of it by fighting the government for the sake of old autonomy. On the other hand, it makes sense why the main villain goes to such extreme measures as rebelling against the government because he wants an independent and autonomous Aizu. To the villain, that equates to the return of the old way of life under the samurai. He doesn't primarily care about the lives that used to live under that system, but the system which shaped those lives and values and traditions and so on.
Despite a lack of clarity and the lankiness of some scenes in this show, overall, most of the cast behaved accordingly to their personalities and beliefs and values. To me, enough of their actions and beliefs made sense to me. There is also a historical basis which further makes their personalities/actions 'accurate,' but not always. I am not sure if Otto Von Bismark would have accepted the deal presented to him. Perhaps he'd humor it (or not since he seemed like a serious man.) But I'm glad that at the end of the show, they explained that Prussia cooperated with the former government (the shogunate) to establish experimental farms in Hokkaido. I'm not sure what benefited the Prussians exactly, but I assume that since western crops can grow successfully in Hokkaido, that meant possible commercial opportunities existed between Hokkaido and Europe/Prussia? I wonder how much of that is true.

Basically, is the plot less character driven but more setting driven compared to most other anime? The main plot is certainly character driven, but the drive behind some of the characters is based on the setting they're in. Instead of, for example, when an Isekai MC wants to live a easy slow life... so he spawns a tavern and becomes the manager of that tavern? In the case of that isekai example, that's wholeheartedly a 'selfish MC driven story.' But in this show, the creators tried to create a dynamic between setting driven vs character driven. I think it worked well enough...

I like how, despite some absurdities, the show is human and is a serious historical adventure/drama/plot.
W3TFTMar 17, 5:46 PM
ow + nw = 90-2000s

Mar 18, 4:28 AM
Sep 2015
It's actually a metaphor. In this anime, it's the foreigner that doesn't want to move on, he want to live in a samurai system. Just like how this anime was made. Nowadays Japan don't make a no-nonsense standalone historical anime anymore. So it's no surprise that the producer is actually a foreigner.
Mar 18, 5:01 AM

Jun 2019
My 258th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.

Mar 18, 2:37 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Really wished this series had at least two more episodes to wrap up some of the existing plot lines with multiple characters instead of giving us a rushed ending. It was a decent historical drama series that takes place during the Meji era after the Boshin wars.

6/10

Preferred Revergers over this.
Mar 28, 5:01 PM

Feb 2012
This anime reconciles them having Saigou Takamori assassinated in 1874 and leading the Satsuma Rebellion in 1877 with the conspiracy theory that he's actually a doppelganger from the Meiji government.
10:00 Shishio lol
In one last act, Sumie helps Shizuma to convince Katamori not to rebel (he'd die in 1893 in real life).
With Sumie shot instead of Katamori (which would've riled up his supporters), Shizuma walks the path of vengeance against her former Buhei like Kyoushirou.
Even in admitting defeat and apologising to Kyoushirou, Buhei wants to play a samurai and perform seppuku. At first, it seems Kyoushiro will be his kaishakunin (beheader), but instead of the neck, he aims for the chonmage (top-knot). Now, Buhei can't even die a Samurai, a worse punishment for him
Might as well take up the gun instead of the katana now, Buhei thinks, and he ends Shizuma and Kyoushuirou's rivalry.
The truth of El Dorado comes out; it was a safe haven for those who've become outcasts under the Meiji government.
Fortress_MaximusMar 29, 2:29 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 31, 12:29 PM

Mar 2019
It was another anime about ancient Japan that no one will remember in a month, just like Onihei, Revenger and Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood.

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Apr 1, 12:59 AM

Oct 2013
Very epic and manly finale, fitting for this really cool series. I had fun while watching all episodes. Overall, it was a solid original anime. 👍
Apr 1, 3:27 AM

Nov 2011
Fujita kicked out again xp no no.
epic scene at the end. Orisawa vs Kyoushirou was very interesting (although had few "Narutoooo Sasukeeeee" moments :p).
i think Kyoushirou's death was one of the most sad there - not like a samurai.
but that made me think that (apart from all romantic surroundigs etc) if creators didnt know how to resolve stalemate situations, they just killed them. happened few times during the show.

Jonas-K said:
It was another anime about ancient Japan that no one will remember in a month, just like Onihei, Revenger and Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood.

thank you for recommendations! i will definitely need some more samurai type anime. <3
i could add Samurai Champloo, Dororo, Nobunaga Concerto and Bakumatsu Rock, but for last two maybe it might be even better to get forgotten. :p
Apr 2, 8:26 AM

May 2009
That was almost mediocre show.
Jonas-K said:

@Jonas-K Meiji isn't ancient. Holy shit, you even have date in the title.
Apr 9, 12:21 PM

Apr 2012
I liked the plot and the idea, but I always had a feeling of discomfort, as if I was watching an edgy show from the 90s with violence for the sake of violence.
May 19, 12:03 PM
Dec 2020
i've gotta say.. this was anticlimactic af
they grand resolution was to kill everybody important off.. how creative

this last two eps were rushed, like they realized they don't have the standard 12 episodes too late. they gave every conflict a solid foundation in the first 6-7 eps but didn't have the time to give everything a proper close, so they went the jjk route - only cheaper

More topics from this board

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 10

9 by AJpurple »»
May 19, 9:34 AM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Mar 3

10 by AJpurple »»
May 19, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 7 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 25

11 by AJpurple »»
May 19, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 18

13 by AJpurple »»
May 19, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 1 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 14

36 by Collins89 »»
Apr 20, 11:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.