Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 28, 3:38 AM
Jul 2021
I'm curious why this isn't popular since it was announced at Jump Festa. This is not a small production either, Masahiro Tokomaru who was the main animator of Vivy is credited as Action Animation Director and legendary animator like Hitomi Hasegawa is doing character designs. Not to mention it's a Mappa animated show. Is this because of lack of publicity?
Jan 28, 3:42 AM
Aug 2011
probably not a lot of publicity yet, I'm hyped though
Jan 28, 4:14 AM
Apr 2023
probably. i personally hope it reaches the haikyuu and blue lock crowd tho, even if the shipping fandoms can get a bit intense, engagement at all is better than a dead fandom imo
Jan 28, 5:18 AM
Jul 2021
PinkHeart19 said:
probably not a lot of publicity yet, I'm hyped though

hmm I get that. Since it was announced at Jump Festa, I thought it would attract a lot of heads . It'll probably blow up after it starts airing. As I said this show has staff on par with Haikyuu s3. Masahiro Tokomaru, who storyboarded and solo animated Vivy vs Kakitani is doing action animation direction, I hope it blows up.
Jan 28, 5:53 AM

Jun 2019
Anime_Skaddiel said:
I'm curious why this isn't popular since it was announced at Jump Festa. This is not a small production either, Masahiro Tokomaru who was the main animator of Vivy is credited as Action Animation Director and legendary animator like Hitomi Hasegawa is doing character designs. Not to mention it's a Mappa animated show. Is this because of lack of publicity?

To answer your question, this manga is very popular in Japan or should I say Jump+. It's digitally one of the most-read J+ sports manga out there. That's one of the reasons why this manga adaptation has such a stacked staff list. The reason why this doesn't have that much popularity outside JP if you're going by the members count on MAL is because the majority of the users on this site are from other countries. There are very few Japanese people on this platform (plus, I'm sure they'll also eventually increase when the show's release date draws near). On Japan's Twitter side of things, this upcoming adaptation is very heavily anticipated by the fans themselves and the new fans who like baseball. Another reason is the sport itself. Not many people are particularly excited about baseball outside of the US or Japan itself. That's where this show's major audience lies. So far... it seems like the show's under the radar of many people but if the anime adaptation does the source material justice, we might see an influx of new fans to this show and the sport itself.

Publicity is not an issue here since that is being handled by Kadokawa itself. They're some of the best when it comes to handling publicity. Plus, we should wait a little to see if the show gains some attention when the Spring season is about to start. And, the new trailers in Feb and March come out. (AnimeJapan). Hope that gave you an answer

Forgot to mention... this is getting a RedStage in AnimeJapan with the other heavy hitter shows. So... that should give you an idea about the companies behind the production having a faith in the show.
Pre_YumJan 28, 5:57 AM
Jan 28, 5:59 PM
Jul 2021
Pre_Yum said:
Anime_Skaddiel said:

To answer your question, this manga is very popular in Japan or should I say Jump+. It's digitally one of the most-read J+ sports manga out there. That's one of the reasons why this manga adaptation has such a stacked staff list. The reason why this doesn't have that much popularity outside JP if you're going by the members count on MAL is because the majority of the users on this site are from other countries. There are very few Japanese people on this platform (plus, I'm sure they'll also eventually increase when the show's release date draws near). On Japan's Twitter side of things, this upcoming adaptation is very heavily anticipated by the fans themselves and the new fans who like baseball. Another reason is the sport itself. Not many people are particularly excited about baseball outside of the US or Japan itself. That's where this show's major audience lies. So far... it seems like the show's under the radar of many people but if the anime adaptation does the source material justice, we might see an influx of new fans to this show and the sport itself.

Publicity is not an issue here since that is being handled by Kadokawa itself. They're some of the best when it comes to handling publicity. Plus, we should wait a little to see if the show gains some attention when the Spring season is about to start. And, the new trailers in Feb and March come out. (AnimeJapan). Hope that gave you an answer

Forgot to mention... this is getting a RedStage in AnimeJapan with the other heavy hitter shows. So... that should give you an idea about the companies behind the production having a faith in the show.

thank you. I feel quite relieved to know that
Jan 28, 6:16 PM

Sep 2018
This is the 1st I ever heard of it here.
From what I seen about it I could guess
-no waifu on the cover
-sports series are usually a niche in anime
-no marketing/no memes
-I see no ecchi

Feb 25, 12:15 PM

Feb 2021
Sadly many sport series are not popular. People like isekai and idols.
Mar 17, 8:18 AM

May 2015
I was surprised to see it so low among the Spring anime, but I saw baseball and instantly got hyped! It's been a long time since we had one of those, and not much sports in general lately. PV looks good, and it's Mappa, but wait, there's more, Miyano Mamoru is here! Like whoa, I was already hyped, but now I'm completely sold.
Mar 17, 8:49 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Ten
I was surprised to see it so low among the Spring anime, but I saw baseball and instantly got hyped! It's been a long time since we had one of those, and not much sports in general lately. PV looks good, and it's Mappa, but wait, there's more, Miyano Mamoru is here! Like whoa, I was already hyped, but now I'm completely sold.
@Ten, I agree, sadly there will be only 12 episodes.
Mar 18, 12:02 PM
Jul 2021
Ten said:

it has 2 action directors. Masahiro Tokomaru, who animated a lot in Vivy and Bubble (movie). Junpei Tatenaka, who was the main animator for Yuri On Ice.
Apr 5, 7:49 AM

Mar 2010
There isn't even a hype thread for this series, instead we get "why is this not popular". Amazing :D
Shows how unknown this series is. And no fan or official translations.. totally flown out of radar series. And manga is actually from 2018 already.. Think i saw a trailer while back and once saw a fan-made youtube video in Japanese.

Personally Looking forward to it. I'm a big fan of sports series in general. Mappa sounds good too.

Perhaps it will gain more popularity while its airing.
I just hope that characters are not too bland. The color scheme of some characters is also bit too weird, The main pitcher guy feels like Furuya from Diamond no Ace, so i hope he's not very boring as there seems to be no rival this time around. Or maybe I'm wrong.. We'll see.
Apr 5, 7:52 AM

Jan 2009
sports anime usually is unpopular afaik
Apr 5, 10:53 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Lylaaz
There isn't even a hype thread for this series, instead we get "why is this not popular". Amazing :D
Shows how unknown this series is. And no fan or official translations.. totally flown out of radar series. And manga is actually from 2018 already.. Think i saw a trailer while back and once saw a fan-made youtube video in Japanese.

Personally Looking forward to it. I'm a big fan of sports series in general. Mappa sounds good too.

Perhaps it will gain more popularity while its airing.
I just hope that characters are not too bland. The color scheme of some characters is also bit too weird, The main pitcher guy feels like Furuya from Diamond no Ace, so i hope he's not very boring as there seems to be no rival this time around. Or maybe I'm wrong.. We'll see.
@Lylaaz, I hope so too! Hope for a second season.
Apr 5, 10:53 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to deg
sports anime usually is unpopular afaik
@deg, yes, sadly.
Apr 6, 7:38 PM

Nov 2015
Is the manga popular?
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Apr 9, 3:43 PM

Jan 2011
to any fans how is this in comparison to ao ashi? i hardly could get into most baseball and soccer animes but that one changed me

tuesdays are looking light so if i need something to watch this and unnamed might be it

Apr 10, 9:17 AM
Jul 2021
katsu044 said:
to any fans how is this in comparison to ao ashi? i hardly could get into most baseball and soccer animes but that one changed me

tuesdays are looking light so if i need something to watch this and unnamed might be it

It's good. The matches in the manga are really underwhelming so they've hired someone as "Match Producer" too. This is fujobait manga, extremely popular in Japan. Nothing at the likes of Haikyuu. But it's really solid watch combined with the amazing art direction and great animation
Apr 10, 3:33 PM

Jan 2011
Reply to Anime_Skaddiel
katsu044 said:

It's good. The matches in the manga are really underwhelming so they've hired someone as "Match Producer" too. This is fujobait manga, extremely popular in Japan. Nothing at the likes of Haikyuu. But it's really solid watch combined with the amazing art direction and great animation
@Anime_Skaddiel
i see i might check it out not many sports anime's out lately
Apr 15, 7:22 AM
Aug 2021
noels-lament said:
probably. i personally hope it reaches the haikyuu and blue lock crowd tho, even if the shipping fandoms can get a bit intense, engagement at all is better than a dead fandom imo

I am fandom of Haikyuu :3
Apr 16, 12:19 PM
Dec 2021
Pre_Yum said:
Anime_Skaddiel said:

Is this really popular? since the manga's sales is low, about 5k/volume
But I like the anime and hope it will boot manga's sales
Apr 16, 2:16 PM

Jun 2019
jennythanh said:
Pre_Yum said:

Is this really popular? since the manga's sales is low, about 5k/volume
But I like the anime and hope it will boot manga's sales

That's why i said digitally. It does good on J+ (Japanese J+), low on the physical volumes. And, yes it is insanely popular. Last week's episode ranked no. 1 on Prime (JP) among all the other shows airing.
Apr 16, 2:32 PM
Nov 2018
I have really seen many bad sports anime....but this is not something that deserves 6.8 or so..... It is solid 7.5 to 8 atleast till episode 2.... It is really fun to watch.... I thought it to be in top 10-15 this season.... Hope more people see this atleast through memes....
MALforanimeApr 16, 2:38 PM
Apr 17, 3:17 PM
Mar 2018
Eager to watch this after Ace of Diamond and Major, no matter what other people say
Apr 17, 3:23 PM

Jan 2013
The dude with amnesia is annoying af that's all I know, these types of characters are way less irritating in manga.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 17, 3:52 PM

Feb 2017
I like sports anime, but the character designs put me off from trying this one. something about the way their eyes/heads are drawn looks really strange to me.
Apr 17, 8:09 PM
Jul 2021
JKKH said:
I like sports anime, but the character designs put me off from trying this one. something about the way their eyes/heads are drawn looks really strange to me.

I get that. They're being faithful to the mangaka's design. But surprisingly it's extremely popular with high school girls
Apr 18, 1:11 PM
Sep 2018
Because kaname is annoying as fuck😭😭😭 i don’t think i can keep watching this because i can’t stand him…
Apr 18, 1:16 PM

Jan 2023
The character designs just look so odd, that’s literally the only reason that puts me off. I’m not too familiar with sports anime but the way they’re drawn is so strange to me.
Apr 28, 1:07 AM

Jun 2019
Because it's Baseball !
Apr 28, 5:45 AM

Jun 2017
Because some children-adults think mainstream shonen like this is good and would do anything to change and boost your meaningless scores and opinions in Mal. Pfft 🤭
FeindeirisApr 28, 6:52 AM
Apr 28, 11:12 AM
Jul 2021
Feindeiris said:
Because some children-adults think mainstream shonen like this is good and would do anything to change and boost your meaningless scores and opinions in Mal. Pfft 🤭

this is mainstream shonen? 🗿
May 1, 11:25 PM
Apr 2016
I also wonder why this is not popular, watching it because i like sports anime, but this is too funny. I don’t think it will be great sports anime, but this is a great comedy anime.
May 3, 11:41 AM

Jul 2014
The start was a bit meh. There wasnt any buildup on how the main thing has happened. I guess by latest ep , its picking up itself more

Also, I think one of the main reasons is that people hate Kaname cause he’s annoying lol

More topics from this board

» Episode 8 Delayed

IzanaSolos - May 21

3 by AddaeAkono »»
May 28, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 21

17 by phantomfandom »»
May 24, 8:25 AM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14

28 by MitsukiAkashi »»
May 19, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7

19 by Ayunee »»
May 18, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 30

23 by Ayunee »»
May 18, 11:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.