Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2023 9:31 PM

Oct 2019
This is the last ep peeps.
Oh shoot, harumi is a ghost. And the music begins. From there we see harumi and her sibling went to space. Never would have thought about them splitting into two dimensions. And harumi kinda crosses over to this side with kana and the Mc. Sux not being able to prove someone existed. This sequence with the tower looks cool.
So the dimensions are starting to merge. And our masaki wanted to merge with harumi. Great kiss.
Why did a space whale appear? I have no clue but it just stopped this convergence. But it seems harumi and misaki meet somehow. And the space whale is somehow atomsk? What the heck
I luv kana and harumi. Music was fun and visuals were nice. But wtf I just watch man. Who am I kidding, it’s Fooly Cooly. It will always be nonsensical.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Oct 14, 2023 9:35 PM

Mar 2014
Damn that was a crazy twist with Harumi at the end. I was so sure she was Haruko right til the end. Nice that she/he was able to get a happy ending and returned home, even if everyone in Kana's reality has to deal with ghosts and nobody believing them. And a baby pocket Atomsk, lol. That was a strange McGuffin to introduce as a way for cross-dimensional communication I guess so Kana can send Pets a letter finally
Oct 14, 2023 9:41 PM
May 2017
this is actually better than i expected the twist tho

Rank 3rd on the FLCL series tier
Oct 14, 2023 10:09 PM

Jun 2010
lol I knew the people running Toonami were pretty... lol yeah.. toons indeed.. but this was next level cringe. I mean they hinted their obsession with the past FLCL series but yikes.

This is why even western money needs to stay the fuck away from the japanese side of the industry. Thankfully it was only in non canon crap. Pissing on the spirit of the original series.

The worst part is that the rest was crap too.. Not as bad as its twin series but that is not saying much. 3 eps is too short.. why bother.

So i'm guess she's a she in one world and a he in the original.. Part of what was "off" about "this" world. Pretty stupid twist making the already pointless ending even more so... as well as pretty cringe.

James_xenoOct 14, 2023 10:15 PM
Oct 14, 2023 10:39 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So Fooly Cooly Shoegaze finally comes to an end. I actually liked the fact that it takes place after the events of Alternative which was the best of the FLCL sequels. Interesting twist with Harumi towards the end as I assume that her body was just a vessel for something else. This was another coming of age love story that goes hand in hand with the struggles of being an adult. The music was great as always.
Oct 14, 2023 11:03 PM
Jun 2021
This series is the only sequel FLCL absolutely needed. Holy fuck. This feels like the original’s other half. It’s the truth. That’s the only thing that’s important about art, and Shoegaze brings it. Best anime since The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.
Oct 15, 2023 12:28 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
So the worlds didn't merge, Harumi disappeared and no one remembers her, the guy is stuck seeing the ghosts forever, and Harumi is now a dude for some reason. Wow, I really didn't think this would fumble the ending that badly, but it did. The first two episodes had some potential, I thought the protagonist and Harumi's relationship had something to it. It also had enough vibe from the original series, at least visually speaking, while also still being its own thing. But man this ending was just bad.

Who was the girl with the glasses? Why is Harumi a guy? Why does this series even exist when, in reality, nothing happened? Why is Atomsk a pocket space worm? The story just got so nonsensical and poorly explained I checked out with nearly 10 minutes left in the episode.This was close to being decent, but now it just belongs with the rest of the FLCL sequels, in the garbage.

4 times Adult Swim tried to recapture the lightning in the bottle that was FLCL. And they failed all 4 times. The original series is so smart, clever, and well thought-out where things actually mean something rather than just using the elements as window dressing. The people who worked on these series don't fundamentally understand anything that the original was trying to say or do.

Please, just let this series rest now.

4/10
Oct 15, 2023 12:39 AM

Apr 2020
This was much better than whatever we got after the OG.
First series that felt like FLCL.
7/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Oct 15, 2023 2:34 AM

Oct 2012
Hey this season wasn't too bad.
Oct 15, 2023 10:29 AM

Jan 2021
After 3 horrible seasons, I'm surprised how oddly well this turned out. Yes, it's bad, and it isn't even close to the OG, but the fact it tried something new instead of rehashing the first season makes it stand as the only FLCL sequel that isn't redundant.
Oct 15, 2023 10:40 AM
Jun 2020
Pretty good ending for what this is. They should have made 6 episodes of this though in my opinion. Would have preferred that than 3 episodes for this and FLCL Grunge each.
Oct 15, 2023 10:43 AM

Dec 2018
terrible ending; idk what else to say. the thing with FLCL was that it was supposed to be subtextual and now it's just played out and obvious. what a waste.
Oct 15, 2023 12:13 PM

Mar 2013
Ha, they weren't even trying to be subtle with the horn/worm this time. Reminds me of the original in that way.

All in all, it was an amusing series, and probably one of my top 3. It's just a shame that Haruko never showed up considering this wound up being the "series finale" (since they don't plan to do any more). Also, unexpected trans representation is a win.
Oct 15, 2023 12:43 PM
Sep 2020
So thats probably going to be the end of FLCL since they dont plan on making any more, i will say i really enjoyed sheogaze and it was an amazing ride watching those 3 episodes . Proves the fact that this franchise could be a lot more even without Haruko.
Oct 15, 2023 1:06 PM
Dec 2019
I have so many thoughts about all this, but it feels like none of them matter in the best kind of way. I feel like I just snapped out of a 3 week long hallucination, left with nothing but the thought "...okay?" It makes so much sense if I don't think about it.
Oct 15, 2023 3:13 PM

Apr 2019
Damn, lots to unpack with this last episode.

We finally got to see Harumi's(F) backstory which was great. A little tragic since they was originally a boy and was on Mars with their family, but because of Alternative he became a she and was sent back to earth while getting a new sister. So it makes sense as to why they always felt like they didn't belong and why they befriend Masaki. The dimensional merge segement and how it was activated by Masaki's feelings of love and not just his inner turmoil was cool. What was also really cool was Atomsk emerging as a giant whale from Masaki's forehead and ending the dimensioanl merge while sending Harumi(F) back to their own dimension. My favourite part of this segment is that Kana, albeit for extremely brief moment, is able to see Pets again. And she is still wearing Kana's old hairpin! Would've liked this little reunion to've lasted longer but I'll take what I can get.

The scene of Kana and Kanda playing catch while Kana talks about missing someone and how nobody really knows what's for the best was great. I really loved all of Kana's scenes and her little monologues throughout Shoegaze. Tho they remind me of how we all grow up eventually which it leaves a bittersweet taste behind, but they're still great.

The episode ends with Masaki meeting Harumi(M) on Mars and saying he has to run an errand, revealing a letter to Pets from Kana. Harumi(M) then asks how he even got to Mars, to which he reaches in his pocket to take out a small Atomsk making figure eights in his hand. And that's it.

The soundtrack for Shoegaze not only goes hard, but it probably the most interesting among the other FLCLs. I say this beacuse as far as I'm aware while typing this, this it the first FLCL sequel to not use ANY tracks from the original FLCL and not to include the song "Last Dinosaur" (goated song) in the final episode. My reason for stating this is that I've listened to the soundtrack and a lot of The Pillows discography that's on Spotify and I didn't recognize most of these songs. In fact, most of these songs come from albums not on Spotify (at least not in North America) with the exceptions being Rebroadcast which features "Rebroadcast" and "Starry Fandango" and Stroll and Roll which features "Subtropical Fantasy" and "One Flew Under the Cuckoo's Nest".

FLCL: Shoegaze really surprised me and told another smililar yet different story then the other sequels. Although, like with Alternative, I thought it stuck the landing. Sure most of my reasoning for liking this is beacuse it's a direct sequel to Alternative, but I had a lot of fun watching this. Granted I feel like it could've really made more of a name for itself if given like three more episodes, but c'est la vie.

arcticmontysOct 15, 2023 3:27 PM
Oct 16, 2023 6:26 AM
Jan 2020
This one was actually good and they decided to make this just 3 episodes and rush it
Oct 17, 2023 3:56 AM
May 2017
I liked the series. With only 3 episodes it cannot really stand on its own, but for me, it wasn't necessary.
I am probably a very small minority, who's favourite FLCL is actually Alternative.
It was really cool seeing grown-up Kana, and it explained what actually happened in Alternative's ending.
It was funny to see, that like all of us, when younger she probably was like "I'll never grow up to be those adults, who are in a hurry all the time". Yes, you will :D
So basically the other storyline could have been anything, I would have been content with the series.
I didn't care too much about the 2 new MC-s, and didn't find their part of the story particularly engaging, it is the usual LOVE SAVES THE,,, hmm idk what did it save here. Although the whole time I was certain that she was Haruhi, so it was pretty cool that she actually wasn't.
Also I found it cool that after all that happened the male MC didn't get "fixed", meaning there wasn't anything wrong with him in the first place, he just learned to live with his "talent".
imSOuniqueOct 17, 2023 4:04 AM
Oct 18, 2023 12:22 AM

Mar 2019
This last episode saved this show for me. Not a fan of the Alternative universe and its characters so I wasn't enjoying this one based on the first two episodes, but the final moments of this episode felt good.

It's kind of funny how FLCL fans get all offended or weird about new spin offs acting as if FLCL was some genius classic and untouchable show. Or, whining about how "they're doing it for the $" as if that doesn't describe every single anime. I just don't care. I ended up liking both Grunge and Shoegaze. My only complaints against these shoes were the art-style (Grunge in particular), lack of new Pillows music (I think? Maybe some new arrangements), and how short the seasons were. I definitely wouldn't want 12 or 24 episodes of Grunge or Shoegaze, but I feel like 5 or 6 would have been better.

Anyway, how I'd rank em:

FLCL > Grunge > Progressive > Shoegaze > Alternative
Oct 18, 2023 11:56 PM

Jan 2011
Very solid conclusion to a fun series. I think they should stop after this one and really work on something. This was a good ending but it was lacking in impact. I do like the gender swap though.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Oct 19, 2023 12:00 AM

Jan 2011
Reply to poemofdevil
This last episode saved this show for me. Not a fan of the Alternative universe and its characters so I wasn't enjoying this one based on the first two episodes, but the final moments of this episode felt good.

It's kind of funny how FLCL fans get all offended or weird about new spin offs acting as if FLCL was some genius classic and untouchable show. Or, whining about how "they're doing it for the $" as if that doesn't describe every single anime. I just don't care. I ended up liking both Grunge and Shoegaze. My only complaints against these shoes were the art-style (Grunge in particular), lack of new Pillows music (I think? Maybe some new arrangements), and how short the seasons were. I definitely wouldn't want 12 or 24 episodes of Grunge or Shoegaze, but I feel like 5 or 6 would have been better.

Anyway, how I'd rank em:

FLCL > Grunge > Progressive > Shoegaze > Alternative
@poemofdevil While I think FLCL is a classic, I do feel people on here and r/FLCL are becoming toxic boomers.

My rankings is FLCL, Alternative, Progressive, Shoegaze, and Grunge.

They're all good but do feel the people who just scream bad without much reasoning are just showing us the effect of member berries.
MasterHavikOct 29, 2023 10:26 AM
Oct 23, 2023 1:57 AM

Jan 2021
That is exactly what I wanted from this show...
Oct 23, 2023 7:41 AM

Jan 2008
So in the end... this was gay.
Oct 24, 2023 4:11 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This was disappointing.
Oct 29, 2023 12:12 AM
Feb 2020
i dont know how to feel about this
it was an 8/10 until the second half of the last episode
now im just confused, sad, and uncomfortable
it should have just ended with the kiss and it would have been great
im just uncomfortable and confused
i think im gonna change it to a 5/10
i might rewatch it some time soon to better understand it

the animation style and characters are great
this is a massive improvement from fooly cooly grunge
but ill have to rewatch it to give it a score better than 5/10
Oct 29, 2023 12:17 AM
Jan 2009
Reply to MasterHavik
@poemofdevil While I think FLCL is a classic, I do feel people on here and r/FLCL are becoming toxic boomers.

My rankings is FLCL, Alternative, Progressive, Shoegaze, and Grunge.

They're all good but do feel the people who just scream bad without much reasoning are just showing us the effect of member berries.
@MasterHavik it's honestly really cringe to not be able to see the difference in quality and vision between the original and the sequels, and diminish the original as 'member berries' when it is in fact, an untouchable classic. if it weren't, then there would be more series made in the last 25 years that compared to it, and it never would've gotten sequels to begin with.
Oct 29, 2023 10:26 AM

Jan 2011
Reply to Nyron
@MasterHavik it's honestly really cringe to not be able to see the difference in quality and vision between the original and the sequels, and diminish the original as 'member berries' when it is in fact, an untouchable classic. if it weren't, then there would be more series made in the last 25 years that compared to it, and it never would've gotten sequels to begin with.
@Nyron Member berries is a South Park reference. Oh, I see the difference but don't think it is as big of a step down as many people are making. I have learned with age that fans of older IPs can either be super humble dudes with a lot knowledge, or extremely toxic, "Stopping liking what I don't like!" I think all of them are good and there is nothing wrong with that. Sorry if I'm calling out people who are being heavily jaded and can't take off the rose colored glasses.

This is a good video of member berries-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHJhu15f-hg
Nov 1, 2023 6:30 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The music is amazing, the best!

Well, last episode, with final surprise!
The kiss on the air, the best!!!

6/10

kekeke
Nov 4, 2023 9:17 AM

Nov 2010
That was a clever plot twist. It turns out that Harumi's soul came from an alternate universe caused by that stuff that happened in Alternative. It made me wonder if the reason I never truly feel human is because my soul unintentionally took over this body that I inhabit, and I'm actually a resident of the demon world. Haha!

It looks like Pets is having a normal life in the other dimension.
I'm glad Masaki had the balls to confess! That was a good kiss! Harumi is so yummy, I want to eat her!

I guess it's kind of a bittersweet ending. The two worlds failed to merge. Also, it's cool that Masaki and Harumi could still meet, but she's back to her original form as a male. That's too bad! Unless Masaki is gonna go for a homo relationship. Haha! Also, Atomsk and Haruko still couldn't be together. Haruko is stuck in Grunge, and he's here in Shoegaze.

The OST is a blast to listen to with all the wacky stuff happening, as always!
Jan 23, 2:42 PM

Jan 2013
haha nothingburger ending goes brrr!!! this goes beyond purpleballing tho.
Jan 25, 11:00 PM

Apr 2023
jesus crhist finally
May 19, 12:54 AM
May 2021
Screw all that Grunge stuff, this took me back all the way to the OG show!
Gotta say this whole series is gonna stick with me for a long time...

Making past refresences and callbacks might just be for cheap nostalgia but hey, As long as i can listen to more pillows with jokes about sexual energy im here for the ride!

More topics from this board

» Adult Swim says no more FLCL anime in the works

deg - Oct 13, 2023

12 by HibiChika »»
Jan 23, 2:51 PM

Poll: » FLCL: Shoegaze Episode 1 Discussion

TheBlockernator - Sep 30, 2023

26 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:39 AM

» FLCL's sequel approach is okay for what it is.

Wiziliz - Mar 18, 2022

17 by Francis_0 »»
Dec 10, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » FLCL: Shoegaze Episode 2 Discussion

FireRifle64 - Oct 7, 2023

18 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 14, 2023 4:29 AM

» Is it me or does this one actually look decent?

JoestarEISH_020 - Sep 27, 2023

2 by removed-user »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.