Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 4, 2023 9:18 PM
Apr 2023
Who is the more interesting and complex character between Thorfinn and Canute, and how do their contrasting character arcs contribute to the series?
Both Thorfinn and Canute undergo profound character development, but their journeys are vastly different. Thorfinn's evolution is rooted in his personal struggles, while Canute's growth revolves around leadership and self-discovery.
Well, opinion wise, I find Thorfinn's journey more relatable than any other character's
Oct 4, 2023 10:36 PM
Jul 2023
Personally I find canute more relatable since I murdered my own brother and tried to steal some random guys farm because his son is kinda goofy
Oct 4, 2023 10:48 PM
Apr 2023
Reply to MrBoomTop10Anime
Personally I find canute more relatable since I murdered my own brother and tried to steal some random guys farm because his son is kinda goofy
@MrBoomTop10Anime ayyyyoooo, well anyways how did u hide the dead body, cause i m in the same sitiuation-
Oct 4, 2023 10:59 PM
Jul 2023
I think Canute's character development was better than Thorfinn (just slightly). Though Thorfinn can be seen as a more relatable character.
Oct 4, 2023 10:59 PM
Mar 2023
S10_Hinatakun said:
@MrBoomTop10Anime ayyyyoooo, well anyways how did u hide the dead body, cause i m in the same sitiuation-

Eat them then and you just have to make bone meal
Oct 4, 2023 11:00 PM
May 2023
Canute is the dumbest character ever

He behaved like a pussy for the first half of S1, then in one episode suddenly decided was going to man up and fight for the crown. After that he becomes this generic greedy king who wants to take over the world.

Yet somehow after listening to a speech by Thorfinn he decides to stop his pursuit.
Oct 4, 2023 11:02 PM
Jul 2023
S10_Hinatakun said:

Didn't need to, just made it seem natural. Though I'd recommend burying them 8 feet deep, then burying an animal 2 feet deep just above. That way when sniffer dogs find the body, but feds think it's just an animal and leave
Oct 5, 2023 12:43 AM
Apr 2021
MrBoomTop10Anime said:

dont forget canute is also more relatable for activelly seeing and engaging in a conversation with the head of dead relatives. During s*x life my great grandma's head was allways at the corner of the room reminding me to pull it out 🧑: "but she's not alive granny, its not like she'll get pregnant" 👵: "doesn't matter, pull it out cause its safer" shes such a silly worrywart 😄
Oct 5, 2023 1:44 AM
Dec 2015
MrBoomTop10Anime said:

Hahahahahah I’m crying omg🤣🤣🤣
Oct 5, 2023 1:59 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
They are both dogwater, the only character in s1 that isn't complete garbage is Askeladd.
Oct 5, 2023 3:06 AM
Mar 2022
MrBoomTop10Anime said:

It's true. I am the murdered brother.
Oct 5, 2023 3:21 AM

Mar 2021
zero_uchiha said:
MrBoomTop10Anime said:

Ayyooo!! This thread is haunted!!!
Oct 5, 2023 3:46 AM
Apr 2021
Issax28 said:

He behaved like a pussy for the first half of S1, then in one episode suddenly decided was going to man up and fight for the crown. After that he becomes this generic greedy king who wants to take over the world.

Yet somehow after listening to a speech by Thorfinn he decides to stop his pursuit.

Blud watched Finland Saga😭😭😭
Oct 5, 2023 4:14 AM
Sep 2022
Oh dang. This was one of the best fights in all of Vinland Saga. Both Thorfinn and Canute's character development were amazing and the animation was awesome too. The outcome was also super emotional. I won't spoil the whole fight because the whole thing is just so good and emotional. But definitely a 10/10 fight for me. The choreography was also really good as well. I remember just being in awe when Thorfinn came out of no where with the fire and started punching Canute without holding back. Damn, the fight was just awesome!
Oct 5, 2023 5:28 AM

Aug 2022
zero_uchiha said:
MrBoomTop10Anime said:

ayoo, i can see your head. but how do you type?

Oct 5, 2023 6:24 AM
Mar 2022
Nevermind54 said:
zero_uchiha said:

Ghosts irl are not exactly like the ghost of canute's father. They got their whole body for "fapping purposes"
Oct 5, 2023 6:25 AM
Mar 2022
V1P3R0P said:
zero_uchiha said:

But don't let it distract you from the fact that boruto still sucks donkey dick
Oct 5, 2023 6:28 AM

Mar 2021
zero_uchiha said:
V1P3R0P said:

But don't let it distract you from the fact that boruto still sucks donkey dick

Oh!! um!!! Ok!!??? Thanks for letting me know that I guess??
I dont know how that is relevant in this conversation or how that is supposed to be funny!! But good try being funny I guess!!
Oct 5, 2023 6:28 AM

Apr 2020
Character dynamic between this two, is what makes them both interesting.

BUT
I think the nature of Thorfinn's redemtion and him regretting or trying to better himself is something more people can actually relate to.
Canute is more idealistic and alien in his ambitions.
Oct 5, 2023 6:29 AM
Jan 2023
S10_Hinatakun said:
Who is the more interesting and complex character between Thorfinn and Canute, and how do their contrasting character arcs contribute to the series?
Both Thorfinn and Canute undergo profound character development, but their journeys are vastly different. Thorfinn's evolution is rooted in his personal struggles, while Canute's growth revolves around leadership and self-discovery.
Well, opinion wise, I find Thorfinn's journey more relatable than any other character's

liked the development of canute slightly more
Oct 5, 2023 6:43 AM
Jul 2023
Treyv0n said:
Issax28 said:

NAH THAT'S FUCKING HILARIOUS HAHAHA
Oct 5, 2023 7:17 AM
Aug 2019
I find Canute more interesting because of his world view. The goal of rebelling against a god that puts man through struggles without hope of salvation … is interesting. Thorfinn’s goal is a bit plain by comparison. The idea of running away from conflict is relatable sure, but it’s uninteresting when you think about the nature of it. It’s just avoiding violence.
Oct 5, 2023 9:33 AM
May 2023
Treyv0n said:
Issax28 said:

Bro really gonna sit there tell me Canute is a well written character.

Guy went from a pussy femboy NPC to deciding he wanted to be the generic ruthless King after listening to a 3 min speech by the priest.

Even somehow changed his fucking voice lmaooo 💀
Oct 5, 2023 10:09 AM
May 2012
(if you believe in god) God gave freedom to man, yes if you are going against his will you are going to pay it in the afterlife but you are free to go against his will nonetheless. Canute wants to take that out from his people. He wants to impose peace with force and violence and war it does make no sense, it is not worth it is fake. He's not the first and is not the last one trying to rule over the world thinking that is view is the right one. It is just an illusion. In a room with 5 people you have 10 different opinions. Rule by force, control and manipulation may be possible but won't ever never be a paradise. Thorfinn did just fail the only thing his father told him to not to do but at least he matured and changed his mind. Thorfinn might be running away but that is the best option compared to what result gives facing the problem. Thorfinn is indeed smarter he's empty but he's going to try to fill himself with something meanwhile Canute is losing his mind.
Oct 5, 2023 5:54 PM
Jan 2023
Askalaad owns both of them
Oct 5, 2023 7:50 PM

Apr 2021
Issax28 said:

Nahhhh you’re wrong, Canute has always had the same ideals and wants the best for his people, he just grew up and was taught that a monarch needs to rule by force. Canute believes in “necessary violence,” and is willing to carry it out in order to create a paradise on earth for the men under his command.

He doesn’t want to “take over the world,” he wanted to take over one of the largest farms in Denmark so that he would be able to sustain his many fleets stationed in England, and thus his occupation/rule. He staged the whole Olmar/Thorgil killing the thegns situation is so that he could label the Ketil family as criminals, acquire all their land and goods, and use those profits to sustain the troops in England. He planned out this whole elaborate scheme so that he would only be harming one farm, rather than ramping up everyone’s taxes which would then lead to suffering of the commonwealth. I’m pretty sure he is shown to have this whole dilemma over it.

By getting beat up by Drott and then through his words to Canute, Thorfinn showed him that it is possible to bring about/maintain peace without the use of violence. At first Canute finds it laughable, but eventually Thorfinn convinces him. Canute then retreats from Ketil’s farm, and pulls the majority of his troops out of England. Canute sees that Thorfinn was correct, bc as soon as he reduces the number of troops stationed in England, the English accept him as their ruler, and there is no longer any fear of revolt.

I personally prefer Thorfinn’s character development, but ur words are a disservice to Yukimura’s talent. Canute is an exceptionally written character and probably one of the best foils of all time. Hope this helped! 👍
Oct 5, 2023 11:32 PM
May 2023
fatnat1234 said:
Issax28 said:

Nahhhh you’re wrong, Canute has always had the same ideals and wants the best for his people, he just grew up and was taught that a monarch needs to rule by force. Canute believes in “necessary violence,” and is willing to carry it out in order to create a paradise on earth for the men under his command.

He doesn’t want to “take over the world,” he wanted to take over one of the largest farms in Denmark so that he would be able to sustain his many fleets stationed in England, and thus his occupation/rule. He staged the whole Olmar/Thorgil killing the thegns situation is so that he could label the Ketil family as criminals, acquire all their land and goods, and use those profits to sustain the troops in England. He planned out this whole elaborate scheme so that he would only be harming one farm, rather than ramping up everyone’s taxes which would then lead to suffering of the commonwealth. I’m pretty sure he is shown to have this whole dilemma over it.

By getting beat up by Drott and then through his words to Canute, Thorfinn showed him that it is possible to bring about/maintain peace without the use of violence. At first Canute finds it laughable, but eventually Thorfinn convinces him. Canute then retreats from Ketil’s farm, and pulls the majority of his troops out of England. Canute sees that Thorfinn was correct, bc as soon as he reduces the number of troops stationed in England, the English accept him as their ruler, and there is no longer any fear of revolt.

I personally prefer Thorfinn’s character development, but ur words are a disservice to Yukimura’s talent. Canute is an exceptionally written character and probably one of the best foils of all time. Hope this helped! 👍

Cool story. But you failed to explain how someone can go from a pussy femboy to gigachad king after getting a preach from the priest.

Also, Canute is not some saint like you described. The show itself literally shows you that he was “consumed by his crown”, he even killed his brother to get there. He is just the generic greedy king.
Issax28Oct 5, 2023 11:36 PM
Oct 6, 2023 12:37 AM
Jan 2023
Issax28 said:
fatnat1234 said:

Cool story. But you failed to explain how someone can go from a pussy femboy to gigachad king after getting a preach from the priest.

Also, Canute is not some saint like you described. The show itself literally shows you that he was “consumed by his crown”, he even killed his brother to get there. He is just the generic greedy king.

Canute’s character development was rapid between the town slaughter and the death of that conehead bro, but so was Thorfinn’s in the beginning like he killed a grown man in battle when he was 7.
Oct 6, 2023 12:50 AM

Aug 2022
zero_uchiha said:
Nevermind54 said:

Ghosts irl are not exactly like the ghost of canute's father. They got their whole body for "fapping purposes"

Noice 👍

[limit]

Oct 6, 2023 2:18 PM
Jul 2023
“I found Thorfinn’s journey more relatable”
This worries me
Oct 8, 2023 9:12 PM
Nov 2022
Canute was extremely similar to thorfinn (ideology wise at least) in the first season, i think his character is meant to represent what thorfinn could become if he doesn’t stay so strong in his beliefs. *minor spoilers for recent chapters* Canute kills peoples mercilessly due to this disease that’s spreading, which seems somewhat evil due do how it’s portrayed though in the long run it will probably end up saving more people than in the case of thorfinn who appears he’s just going to let it spread due to his own moral quandaries. Kind of waffling but yeah

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2019

256 by FarCritical »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

174 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2019

397 by FarCritical »»
May 27, 12:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.