Forum Settings
Forums
Welcome Back, Alice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2023 5:00 PM

Oct 2013
Hmm, I kinda expected to see time skip, as for it had happened in some other works created by Shuuzou Oshimi. However, after hearing about how ch. 40 was to be the final one of this series, I thought "Okaeri Alice" might be one of Oshimi-sensei's works without time skip. That's why it was quite surprising to see it.

Very nice and calm finale. Many various things have happened throughout the story. Maby times they were painful to Yoh and his friends. Fortunately, in the end, it appears all of them are rather happy and do their best to chase their dreams, to boldly look in the future's eyes.

I really enjoyed reading this manga. I wish it was longer, but at least its story was wrapped up in a satisfying way with two last chapters. At least I see it like that. Oh, and let's not forget about beautiful looking colourful page (a form of celebrating the series' finale).
Aug 8, 2023 5:06 PM
Oct 2014
What even exactly happened? I don't really feel like there was an ending in there.
Aug 8, 2023 5:37 PM

Oct 2013
CrsFaceYourWaifu said:
What even exactly happened? I don't really feel like there was an ending in there.
Happy ending, with everyone being at peace with themselves and living normal lifes, implying that they conquered all of their insecurities, identity issues and problems with self-esteem. That's how I see it like, anyway.
Aug 9, 2023 1:30 PM
Jan 2020
Decent ending but felt things were a bit rushed towards the end. Would’ve been interesting to have seen what Kei went through before catching up with Yo and Mitani in High School. Perhaps as well as to how Kei’s family viewed Kei. Rens inclusion felt very sudden and character could’ve been explored a bit more too. I think this series could’ve gone for at least 40 chapters more. In the end, the series was a good read but definitely not Oshimis best work.
Aug 9, 2023 5:58 PM
May 2022
is it the end? it says volume 7 in october? if its the end then thats pretty lame
Aug 9, 2023 11:38 PM
Jul 2012
Kind of disappointment by the ending can't lie.
Aug 10, 2023 1:41 AM
Mar 2022
the suffering finally ends, im just happy they got together.
Aug 10, 2023 4:35 PM

Jul 2021
I'm glad it ended, albeit a tad of rushed for me but tbh author's imagery is always his butter and jam.  This is seriously one of my favorite from theirs that resonates me sm.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Aug 13, 2023 5:36 PM
Feb 2021
CQLLIST said:
I'm glad it ended, albeit a tad of rushed for me but tbh author's imagery is always his butter and jam.  This is seriously one of my favorite from theirs that resonates me s
CQLLIST said:
I'm glad it ended, albeit a tad of rushed for me but tbh author's imagery is always his butter and jam.  This is seriously one of my favorite from theirs that resonates me sm.
I agree, the visual storytelling especially in the later chapters are so good.
Aug 13, 2023 8:25 PM

Jul 2019
ending is ok, entire concept of the series was more fun so idrc about how this ended lmao.

anyway, seriously good story. this whole gender thing is explored in a way that doesn't make it seem like it was smth out of the western world. this gets really deep too. literally.

prolly gonna read more Oshimi manga now.
Aug 30, 2023 1:56 PM

May 2009
I enjoyed the manga overall, glad I read it.  Started this manga during the beginning of lockdown and now it's 3 years later. Time flies. Overall satisfied, excited for Oshimi's next work.
Sep 2, 2023 7:05 AM
Jun 2023
The ending feels kinda lacking compared to the absolute banger that was all the rest on the topic of gender and having to explore your sexuality with a body you don't want.

Honestly it feels like, for a lot of this specific author works to feel complète, they would need to really dive into transidentity as a subject. I really think it's the missing piece of this ending, just as it was for Inside Mari. Maybe it would also answer some of his own experience with gender dysphoria, who knows. But I'm aware it's way harder in japan to live comfortably as a trans person, I'm not even sure you can have access to things like hormones, so being non binary is probably even harder.
NaivaPrismSep 2, 2023 3:17 PM
Nov 26, 2023 12:28 PM
Feb 2023
This could be my personal favourite of Oshima's work out of the ones I've read. It's a similar set up to Flowers of Evil, but the first half of that manga can verge on being repetitive, and a little on the nose. It's great - don't get me wrong, but the way in which Nakamura's dialogue is written, where it's meant to feel shocking, eventually just feels a bit... flat.

You can only hear a girl spout "fucking worm", "pest", "insect" so many times before it loses it's flavour, and it's a CONSTANT in her dialogue. While also about a love triangle, for me personally, Welcome Home, Alice is far more compelling on a thematic front - its exploration of sexuality, gender identity and love is some of the most gripping stuff I've seen in any medium. It's seriously such a unique and refreshing take on these ideas. The characters and their motivations are easier to understand and more human than something like Flowers of Evil, but I think some people having read that manga may find this one tiresome if they're not enjoying everything that's so fresh about it quite as much as I did.

For me, though, this was incredible. 9/10
Jan 1, 2:56 PM

Aug 2019
This chapter felt a bit superfluous. Honestly the series could've ended with chapter 39 and that would've made for a stronger ending.
Jan 27, 5:03 AM
Dec 2015
This is like the best trans manga series I have ever read. I can't stop rereading it
May 27, 11:32 AM

Aug 2018
It's a nice coming of age story. I'm glad everyone is okay at the end. It needed no more or no fewer chapters. I feel like it's a good way to end the manga with this last chapter.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Okaeri Alice Chapter 37 Discussion

Adnash - May 18, 2023

4 by Rhae »»
May 27, 11:24 AM

Poll: » Okaeri Alice Chapter 35 Discussion

Adnash - Mar 14, 2023

4 by Rhae »»
May 27, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Okaeri Alice Chapter 34 Discussion

Adnash - Feb 15, 2023

5 by Rhae »»
May 27, 10:48 AM

Poll: » Okaeri Alice Chapter 33 Discussion

Adnash - Jan 9, 2023

6 by Rhae »»
May 27, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Okaeri Alice Chapter 30 Discussion

Chowkko - Oct 14, 2022

7 by Rhae »»
May 27, 10:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.