Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 4, 2023 8:08 PM
Feb 2023
I rated this an 8 out of 10 cuz of the great, trippy and mind screwing visuals and the intricate plot but I have no idea what the entire theme nor plot of the 12 episodes I just watched. If any Sonny Boy fans want to geek out and explain everything not matter how long it is I'll be incredibly grateful  
Aug 4, 2023 8:43 PM
May 2020
To me, the show conveys the message that despite the chaos and uncertainties, life persists, and one must continue to move forward.
Aug 4, 2023 9:05 PM
May 2016
It's the Lord of the Flies anime version.
Aug 4, 2023 9:32 PM
Sep 2021
garbage, messy and pretentious garbage
Aug 4, 2023 9:33 PM

Dec 2021
Its mostly left at viewer's interpretation. To summarize this, Sonny Boy was basically a coming of age story about maturing and growing up as a person, basically transitioning into adulthood. Every episode had an underlying message that explored various themes relating to teenage angst and confusion and some other philosophical topics like meaning of death and effects of war. Ultimately, the shows main message was, "Don't dwell into escapism. Be yourself and face reality. Choose your own path and do your best." This show is the best example of "show, don't tell." It's filled with vague metaphors. Everything that happens in this show has some sort of hidden meaning behind it, but It requires out of the box thinking to completely understand it. Imma be honest, even I didn't understand this completely, but from what I understood, this show has one of the best writing out there
Rishon007Aug 4, 2023 9:39 PM
Aug 4, 2023 10:55 PM
Feb 2019
Rishon007 said:
Its mostly left at viewer's interpretation. To summarize this, Sonny Boy was basically a coming of age story about maturing and growing up as a person, basically transitioning into adulthood. Every episode had an underlying message that explored various themes relating to teenage angst and confusion and some other philosophical topics like meaning of death and effects of war. Ultimately, the shows main message was, "Don't dwell into escapism. Be yourself and face reality. Choose your own path and do your best." This show is the best example of "show, don't tell." It's filled with vague metaphors. Everything that happens in this show has some sort of hidden meaning behind it, but It requires out of the box thinking to completely understand it. Imma be honest, even I didn't understand this completely, but from what I understood, this show has one of the best writing out there

well said ~~~~~~~
Aug 5, 2023 12:38 AM
Jan 2022
Saimatsu_Fan said:

It's funny when someone calls something pretentious because they can't understand the meaning of this. Maybe someone likes psychological anime? So you have the rights to judge them? Not really.
Aug 5, 2023 12:41 AM
Apr 2020
Rishon007 said:

Loved how you managed to condense this show so well with just a few words.
It is definitely a show worth watching a second time to fully understand it.
Aug 5, 2023 2:06 AM

Sep 2020
I've watched two episodes so far and I'm enjoying it somewhat. For now, they're just spawning in different locations and that's been fun to unravel.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Aug 5, 2023 2:21 AM
Sep 2022
Slav1xxx said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

It's funny when someone calls something pretentious because they can't understand the meaning of this. Maybe someone likes psychological anime? So you have the rights to judge them? Not really.

Bruh don't bother. He's just a bot troll meant to increase MAL traffic.
Aug 5, 2023 2:49 AM
Sep 2021
Slav1xxx said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

" you called x thing y so it means you don't understand it "
Aug 5, 2023 4:02 AM
Mar 2021
I love this show. I remember the main theme being don’t run away from your problems, no matter if your worse off or things get “worse” (shown by his decision to leave at the end and the last ep where he deals with consueqnces of that), and this contrasts the first ep, where he was hesitant to leave, due to the fear of the unknown and wanted to just stay and ignore his problems (represented by the black void in first ep)

Watch a sonny boy yt vid. That’ll prob explain better. Also look at reddit dissucissoon threads for each ep or the most important ones
Aug 5, 2023 4:02 AM
Mar 2021
Saimatsu_Fan said:

How is it Pretentious? Just cause something goes over your head doesn’t make it pretentious
Aug 5, 2023 4:24 AM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
Saimatsu_Fan said:

*has Eva in your favorite. You have played yourself

Aug 5, 2023 6:37 AM
Aug 2019
Uhhh just think of it as a Sadboy's Bedroom Pop fever dream of unrequited yet painstakingly awkward, introverted, and indie-type beat attempt at falling in love, failing (or succeeding, whichever you side with), and moving on, while being in the premise of an alternative superhero pocket dimension of sorts.
Aug 5, 2023 7:34 AM
Jan 2022
it's shows about the "personality or trait" that you cast away as you grow up, potraid as a character.

the side of you who doesn't know how money works and think it was made of thin air, the side of you who think that you are super hero, mad scientist, adventurer, or your wild side. or when you want to discover other world, different where you live in. those "personality or trait" was the character in Sony Boy
Aug 5, 2023 9:43 AM
Nov 2017
For me its about how pointless things in life, how cruel and uncertain world is, relationship and everything you build just so fragile.
Aug 5, 2023 11:32 AM
Dec 2022
MaroMangas623 said:
I rated this an 8 out of 10 cuz of the great, trippy and mind screwing visuals and the intricate plot but I have no idea what the entire theme nor plot of the 12 episodes I just watched. If any Sonny Boy fans want to geek out and explain everything not matter how long it is I'll be incredibly grateful  

I think the theme and message behind sonny boy is mostly about ways teenagers or humans in general deal with nihilism in many different ways. The reason for my interpretation is verified by the different roles and traits each of the characters hold, the mc for example deals with it through escapism and distractions of life and reality, his ability to change worlds kinda represents that about him and his character, the short hair girl represents it through dealing with nihilism in a optimistic and hopeful manner which is a positive response to nihilism and in some ways can be interpreted as an existentialists, the buddhist guy represents it in a more absurdist manner, he views life being meaningless as not a good or bad thing one rather to simply be accepted and moving on, his entire conclusion by staying in that world represents his acceptance of it. The long hair girl, is one that is similar to the mcs and parallels in a sense that she also seeked distraction and escapist manners but in a more positive and joyful way than the mc does, both were sorta loners however mc was never fond of his situation and was kinda numb to it at one point, the girl on the other hand was also not fond of it but she was also tryna show that she was okay with it. All in all this is is kinda how I see the thematic message of the story to be worked around using the four main characters of the story.
Aug 6, 2023 12:40 AM
Sep 2021
24846 said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

How is it Pretentious? Just cause something goes over your head doesn’t make it pretentious

" you don't understand it bro "
Aug 6, 2023 2:34 AM
Mar 2021
Saimatsu_Fan said:
24846 said:

Something is pretentious when it’s just a bunch of pointless werird imagery, dialouge, ext that has no deeper theme or message. What scene in this show is pretentious to u?
Aug 6, 2023 2:48 AM
Sep 2021
24846 said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

Something is pretentious when it’s just a bunch of pointless werird imagery, dialouge, ext that has no deeper theme or message. What scene in this show is pretentious to u?

everything about it lol
Aug 6, 2023 6:53 AM
Mar 2021
Saimatsu_Fan said:
24846 said:

everything about it lol

Lol. ๐Ÿ’€ u mean the main message of the show? The way it was told? Reading comprehension devil strikes again
Aug 7, 2023 4:11 AM

Mar 2015
Rishon007 said:

This makes sense to me, thanks for sharing
Aug 7, 2023 4:45 AM
Sep 2021
24846 said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

everything about it lol

Lol. ๐Ÿ’€ u mean the main message of the show? The way it was told? Reading comprehension devil strikes again

" you don't understand the massage bro!! "
Aug 7, 2023 5:08 AM
Mar 2021
Saimatsu_Fan said:
24846 said:

Bruh just tell me what u found pretentious about it ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
Aug 7, 2023 6:44 AM

Dec 2021
24846 said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

Ignore him. He doesn't have adequate braincells to comprehend this show
Aug 8, 2023 12:48 AM
Sep 2021
Rishon007 said:
24846 said:

Ignore him. He doesn't have adequate braincells to comprehend this show

i love how all the replies to my take is just ad hominem lol
Aug 10, 2023 5:50 PM
Dec 2020
i feel like i just took the first strand of mushrooms found by humans + i have a headache but it was entertaining !

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.