Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 27, 2023 1:02 PM

Mar 2018
...go inside the tunnel right after receiving the message from Kaoru? He should've barely moved an inch by the time she got there and started sobbing. IMO, it would've been much better had she gone in right there, punched the shite out of him, and told him her thoughts instead of messaging him.

On that note, what did Kaoru even gain from the tunnel? In addition to having failed to revive his sister, he even lost 8 years which he could've spent with Anzu, gaining nothing aside from closure in return. And with that, he has made her girlfriend a shotacon!

Have I missed something in the movie, or is the plot that wasted?
\

Jul 27, 2023 1:33 PM
May 2023
hainq said:
...go inside the tunnel right after receiving the message from Kaoru? He should've barely moved an inch by the time she got there and started sobbing. IMO, it would've been much better had she gone in right there, punched the shite out of him, and told him her thoughts instead of messaging him.

On that note, what did Kaoru even gain from the tunnel? In addition to having failed to revive his sister, he even lost 8 years which he could've spent with Anzu, gaining nothing aside from closure in return. And with that, he has made her girlfriend a shotacon!

the movie is adapted from a LN(or manga) so a LOT of development was missed and probably some details too. the tunnel was to gain something that was lost and Kaoru was intent on seeing his sister again, so would it be right for Anzu to take that from him? Kaoru realised that he loved Anzu when he saw his sister so that made him realise that he didn't belong in that fantasy world so he came back for Anzu.
That's what I got from the film anyways, it's a shame that it was so short, if they adapted the entire thing in a show it would easily be a 10 star for me, the visuals were amazing.
Jul 27, 2023 4:06 PM
Apr 2017
sayu-simp said:
hainq said:

the movie is adapted from a LN(or manga) so a LOT of development was missed and probably some details too. the tunnel was to gain something that was lost and Kaoru was intent on seeing his sister again, so would it be right for Anzu to take that from him? Kaoru realised that he loved Anzu when he saw his sister so that made him realise that he didn't belong in that fantasy world so he came back for Anzu.
That's what I got from the film anyways, it's a shame that it was so short, if they adapted the entire thing in a show it would easily be a 10 star for me, the visuals were amazing.

yeah, I think the answer is here bro...
Jul 27, 2023 5:21 PM
Oct 2020
This is a story about a girl obsessed about being a mangaka to follow the legacy of her grandfather and a boy tormented by guilt because of the loss of his sister. This obsession was the main focus and didn't leave room for anything else. It was necessary for both of them to get over it to start moving forward and realise their feelings, so I think it was absolutely necessary for Kaoru to go into the tunnel and speak with his sister so he stops living in past and forgives himself, and for anzu to become a mangaka and achieve her goal so she would then be free to follow her heart. Although in the end it as more for Kaoru than anything else, as when Anzu realizes that Kaoru went into the tunnel alone she says that she was willing to go with him and if necessary would leave that world behind, so at this point she was already ready to leave everything for him but she respected his decision since she knew this was necessary for him to start moving forward.
I don't think the age difference isn't a issue or the main point of the movie, in the end of the movie Kaoru (17) and Anzu (25) in the LN I believe it is 17 to 22. In the real world they would still be both actually 25 since they were born in the same year even if the time slowed down for him in the tunnel.

I definitely think your maturity, age and life experiences will affect your perception of this movie and you definitely don't know what shotacon means.
Jul 27, 2023 11:08 PM

Mar 2018
Seth7 said:
This is a story about a girl obsessed about being a mangaka to follow the legacy of her grandfather and a boy tormented by guilt because of the loss of his sister. This obsession was the main focus and didn't leave room for anything else. It was necessary for both of them to get over it to start moving forward and realise their feelings, so I think it was absolutely necessary for Kaoru to go into the tunnel and speak with his sister so he stops living in past and forgives himself, and for anzu to become a mangaka and achieve her goal so she would then be free to follow her heart. Although in the end it as more for Kaoru than anything else, as when Anzu realizes that Kaoru went into the tunnel alone she says that she was willing to go with him and if necessary would leave that world behind, so at this point she was already ready to leave everything for him but she respected his decision since she knew this was necessary for him to start moving forward.
I don't think the age difference isn't a issue or the main point of the movie, in the end of the movie Kaoru (17) and Anzu (25) in the LN I believe it is 17 to 22. In the real world they would still be both actually 25 since they were born in the same year even if the time slowed down for him in the tunnel.

I definitely think your maturity, age and life experiences will affect your perception of this movie and you definitely don't know what shotacon means.
I definitely agree that maturity, age, and life experiences will affect one's perception of this movie. The more of such you have, the more flawed the plot seems.
\

Jul 28, 2023 1:29 AM

Feb 2022
yeah I think the plot is wasted. they should've adapted the whole thing
Jul 28, 2023 6:25 AM
Nov 2021
hainq said:

shotacon? it seems you are missed the whole plot. Regardless, go watch boku no pico and then come back here. That series would fix your definition about shotacon.
Jul 28, 2023 11:21 AM
May 2023
Icywisy said:

imagine a show on this, the visuals were amazing and the music was on point. such wasted potential to squeeze everything into a short film.
Jul 28, 2023 11:30 AM
Jul 2023
Seth7 said:

Dont care about age difference. But this story is a tragedy. 8 fucking years wasted. 8 less years together with your loved one. They are both idiots. He is idiot for abandoning her. She is idiot for not going after him. Really sad story.
Jul 28, 2023 11:47 AM
Jul 2023
Got the light novel... God why the fuck i didnt read LN first... Its so much better.Right now reading last part and in that part MC didnt send message to Anzu. She decided to enter tunnel and find him because there was nothing left in her life but him. I guess thats why in the novel she is 22 years old, not 25. Still angry at wasted time, but this final is so much better. Also LN doesnt end with them exiting tunnel. It continues for some time after, covering up all loose ends and Anzu even proposes to MC :)
Thats it. I will never watch anime like this if there is translated LN i can read first.
Jul 29, 2023 7:31 AM

Feb 2022
sayu-simp said:
Icywisy said:

imagine a show on this, the visuals were amazing and the music was on point. such wasted potential to squeeze everything into a short film.

don't you think a show based on the LN would be too short? I mean it's only 6 chapters. what could they possibly do with that? yare yare
Jul 29, 2023 7:55 AM
May 2023
Icywisy said:
sayu-simp said:

don't you think a show based on the LN would be too short? I mean it's only 6 chapters. what could they possibly do with that? yare yare

no clue how long it was, but a 6 episode show would still be amazing . shows like 'love is 5cm apart" were great and short.
Jul 29, 2023 8:09 AM

Feb 2022
natsu e no tunnel is disappointing if we compare it to 5cm. the problem is not the movie but the director. Man natsu e" could've been better if it was directed rightly like 5cm
Jul 29, 2023 7:34 PM
May 2023
Icywisy said:
natsu e no tunnel is disappointing if we compare it to 5cm. the problem is not the movie but the director. Man natsu e" could've been better if it was directed rightly like 5cm

it's hard to fit so much development in a short film, the director did what they could with limited resources but ultimately (imo) it's downfall was it's lack of time. it'd be too long to fit it even into a longer film, so a show would be necessary to capture the beauty and the development the LN had to offer. it had potential to be a stunning short show, the director still made the film somewhat enjoyable with the amazing visuals and the attempted pacing.

this isn't on the director, even if it was directed like 5cm, do you think a 80 minute film would be enough to shove all the plot AND the much needed development and back story as well as their interactions? personally I don't think so.
Jul 29, 2023 7:58 PM

Feb 2022
I'm are talking about the director makoto shinkai here. And he adapted 14 and 11 chapters for kimi no nawa and 5cm and you know the rest. It would be possible for him to make natsu e no tunnel better. If he was directed, I don't think the runtime for the movie would be 80min.
yeah short series will do great. probably best option for the LN
Nov 23, 2023 8:07 PM

Feb 2018
what did Kaoru even gain from the tunnel? In addition to having failed to revive his sister, he even lost 8 years which he could've spent with Anzu, gaining nothing aside from closure in return.

His goal wasn't to revive his sister, his goal was to get his childhood back, you see, Kaoru's struggles goes beyond just the loss of his sister. As consequence of her death, his mother abandoned him and his father became an abusive alcoholic, his family which was once whole ended up completely destroyed.

He becomes depressed, apathetic and isolated, we can see this by how he carries himself in his day to day life. He has friends but don't seem particularly close to them judging that throughout the story he is mostly either by himself or in the company of Anzu. He shows little regard for the people around him, even willing to throw away the few friends he has and his father which is all of what's left of his family in exchange for what seems like utopia.

Throughout the movie we see how Kaoru is struggling to move on from his past. We see two scenes in particular of where his father is seen genuinly happy and accompanied by a newfound love he plans to start over his life with. The first scene is at home where Kaoru's response is one of intense shock and in the second scene in the tunnel where his response goes from shock to exasperation.

Kaoru likes to refer to his father as the failure, but in this context the role is reversed. His father is succeeding, making progress in the very thing he hasn't but desperately needs, to begin healing and move on.

Following the second and final scene of his father in the tunnel, we ultimately see Kaoru get to meet his sister again, but not only that, things takes a step further as his appearance transform and regresses back into the boy he used to be.

What comes to shatter this newfound arcadia, is the scene where his younger self looks into the mirror whilst his sister is talking and sees his adolescent self as opposed to his boy self, he hasn't actually regressed in time. Followed by this we see a scene where the phone returns to his hand, flooded with text messages from Anzu waiting for him in the future, Kaoru's attempt to abandon his old life in exchange for salvation ending up in failure as his past comes back to haunt him, this is where he's ultimately forced to accept and realise he too needs to move on like his father.

The tunnel can grant miracles, but it can't promise paradise.

So, what did Kaoru even gain from the tunnel?

The resolve to stop running away, to take responsibility and move on.

Why didn't Anzu go inside the tunnel right after receiving the message from Kaoru?

There's one stark difference in their characters, which is that Anzu battles with fear and anxiety as opposed to Kaoru who battles with depression. She is generally accepting of the world whilst he rejects it. Anzu seeks the tunnel because she wants to redeem her past and secure the future, not to go back in past and start over like Kaoru. This becomes especially evident when Anzu announces in the restaurant that she got noticed by a publisher, as this is when she starts to have doubts whether she should take the chance already given to her, or enter the tunnel in the hopes of attaining greater fortune.

Think of it like this, you're offered 1 million, should you take it, or gamble it away with the hopes of winning double?

It isn't evidently clear to me that Anzu could just run in and grab him without potentially wasting away several months or even years in the process, along with losing her chance of attaining her dream of becoming a recognized mangaka. Also, in the farewell message she receives from Kaoru, he makes his suspiciouns clear that the tunnel may not be able to grant her another chance should she choose to give up the chance already given to her.

For a character like Anzu who is plagued by anxiety, this choice can be especially tough, it's easy to want and say something but hard to go from thought into action.
Dec 6, 2023 9:49 AM

Dec 2014
Reply to SomeNewGuy
what did Kaoru even gain from the tunnel? In addition to having failed to revive his sister, he even lost 8 years which he could've spent with Anzu, gaining nothing aside from closure in return.

His goal wasn't to revive his sister, his goal was to get his childhood back, you see, Kaoru's struggles goes beyond just the loss of his sister. As consequence of her death, his mother abandoned him and his father became an abusive alcoholic, his family which was once whole ended up completely destroyed.

He becomes depressed, apathetic and isolated, we can see this by how he carries himself in his day to day life. He has friends but don't seem particularly close to them judging that throughout the story he is mostly either by himself or in the company of Anzu. He shows little regard for the people around him, even willing to throw away the few friends he has and his father which is all of what's left of his family in exchange for what seems like utopia.

Throughout the movie we see how Kaoru is struggling to move on from his past. We see two scenes in particular of where his father is seen genuinly happy and accompanied by a newfound love he plans to start over his life with. The first scene is at home where Kaoru's response is one of intense shock and in the second scene in the tunnel where his response goes from shock to exasperation.

Kaoru likes to refer to his father as the failure, but in this context the role is reversed. His father is succeeding, making progress in the very thing he hasn't but desperately needs, to begin healing and move on.

Following the second and final scene of his father in the tunnel, we ultimately see Kaoru get to meet his sister again, but not only that, things takes a step further as his appearance transform and regresses back into the boy he used to be.

What comes to shatter this newfound arcadia, is the scene where his younger self looks into the mirror whilst his sister is talking and sees his adolescent self as opposed to his boy self, he hasn't actually regressed in time. Followed by this we see a scene where the phone returns to his hand, flooded with text messages from Anzu waiting for him in the future, Kaoru's attempt to abandon his old life in exchange for salvation ending up in failure as his past comes back to haunt him, this is where he's ultimately forced to accept and realise he too needs to move on like his father.

The tunnel can grant miracles, but it can't promise paradise.

So, what did Kaoru even gain from the tunnel?

The resolve to stop running away, to take responsibility and move on.

Why didn't Anzu go inside the tunnel right after receiving the message from Kaoru?

There's one stark difference in their characters, which is that Anzu battles with fear and anxiety as opposed to Kaoru who battles with depression. She is generally accepting of the world whilst he rejects it. Anzu seeks the tunnel because she wants to redeem her past and secure the future, not to go back in past and start over like Kaoru. This becomes especially evident when Anzu announces in the restaurant that she got noticed by a publisher, as this is when she starts to have doubts whether she should take the chance already given to her, or enter the tunnel in the hopes of attaining greater fortune.

Think of it like this, you're offered 1 million, should you take it, or gamble it away with the hopes of winning double?

It isn't evidently clear to me that Anzu could just run in and grab him without potentially wasting away several months or even years in the process, along with losing her chance of attaining her dream of becoming a recognized mangaka. Also, in the farewell message she receives from Kaoru, he makes his suspiciouns clear that the tunnel may not be able to grant her another chance should she choose to give up the chance already given to her.

For a character like Anzu who is plagued by anxiety, this choice can be especially tough, it's easy to want and say something but hard to go from thought into action.
@SomeNewGuy
Thanks for the explanation. I had similar thought as OP in regards to why she didn't went back inside right away or atleast later.
I had questions about how during investigations both assumed their roles(one stays behind & other goes in) & stick to it over multiple experiments. I expected them to have exchange their roles but as you explained very well that both had very different world view.
Should've thought more deeply. Thanks again!

Jan 15, 12:29 AM
Mar 2016
I want to ask you this. Why didn't Anzu chase after Kaoru? Don't tell me that Kaoru is the only person who can enter the tunnel?
KinjiKidoJan 15, 12:38 AM
Jan 15, 3:51 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to KinjiKido
I want to ask you this. Why didn't Anzu chase after Kaoru? Don't tell me that Kaoru is the only person who can enter the tunnel?
@KinjiKido because he told her not to go, he wanted her to become a mangaka ( manga artist ) and not to lose opportunity since they picked her as an editor for some other manga artist
Jan 15, 5:23 PM
Mar 2016
Reply to Spyr0H
@KinjiKido because he told her not to go, he wanted her to become a mangaka ( manga artist ) and not to lose opportunity since they picked her as an editor for some other manga artist
@Spyr0H oh I see. guess I missed the part.
Feb 18, 2:17 AM
Nov 2023
because he decide to move on because even his sister said she would be happy if her brother was in someone he likes

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsu e no Tunnel, Sayonara no Deguchi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jutin123 - Sep 9, 2022

148 by Elyshion »»
Jun 9, 7:12 AM

» Damn, it's BAD

Akita_Han - Nov 16, 2023

24 by todd2580 »»
Mar 18, 5:11 PM

» How is the manga or light novel

djodjd - Jan 28

6 by Spyr0H »»
Jan 30, 8:48 AM

» Small Mistake About Their First Name & Surname

MichLoverz - Nov 21, 2023

13 by holo-simp »»
Jan 10, 11:05 AM

» So how much is... (Spoilers)

Koustubh - Aug 18, 2023

9 by Py687 »»
Nov 16, 2023 5:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.