Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 3, 2023 4:43 AM
Apr 2022
So without SPOILING can you tell is it worth watching?

Mod Edit: edited topic in accordance to the rules
KayKimiiJun 3, 2023 4:55 AM
Jun 3, 2023 4:50 AM

Jul 2015
Imma gonna make a searing HOT take:

Comedy in Gintama is not that great. Especially in early episodes, because most of the jokes were based on current events and even more if you are not Japanese due to language and cultural barrier.
Joke is usually bad if it needs to be explained, but how many times you had captions above literally explaining the joke?

HOWEVER

The cast of characters is absolutely PHENOMENAL. Each character is very distinctive, well fleshed, has it's own time to shine and very quirky.
Gintama is in it's absolute finest during long and (somewhat) serious arcs like Benizakura or Shogun Assassination.
For that alone, I think Gintama deserves all the praises and it's high score.

Jun 3, 2023 4:52 AM
Nov 2022
WVM said:

It is worth your wait but if you want some enjoyable Short and thrilling anime... then maybe Gintama is not for you...
Jun 3, 2023 4:53 AM
Apr 2022
masterbayter16 said:
WVM said:

It is worth your wait but if you want some enjoyable Short and thrilling anime... then maybe Gintama is not for you...

I love long running animes
Jun 3, 2023 5:07 AM

Mar 2021
Best comedy in Anime by far and some of the best arcs in Shounen. Absolutely worth trying out and you can always drop it if it doesn't mesh with you
Jun 3, 2023 5:09 AM
Oct 2008
WVM said:

First 50 eps are boring, than tou have best comedy ever. By ever i mean it isthe Best there is in the world.
Jun 3, 2023 5:26 AM

Sep 2019
yes but you gotta commit hardcore
Jun 3, 2023 5:34 AM
May 2021
If you want to watch Gintama, expect comedy, serious arcs happens every 50-60 episodes, however episode 300 onwards is where there is little to no comedy. If you commit to watching Gintama, you will see the beauty of Gintama and the genius writing of Hideaki Sorachi.
Jun 3, 2023 5:35 AM
Sep 2020
Definitely you should watch gintama. I have one suggestion for you. If you are a beginner don't watch gintama yet. At least make sure to watch 350-400 anime. Then you can enjoy it from staring part of it all by yourself.
Jun 3, 2023 6:04 AM

Jul 2015
Faupauzi said:
If you want to watch Gintama, expect comedy, serious arcs happens every 50-60 episodes, however episode 300 onwards is where there is little to no comedy. If you commit to watching Gintama, you will see the beauty of Gintama and the genius writing of Hideaki Sorachi.

I wouldn't say that "there is little to no comedy" because they manage to smuggle some jokes here and there, but still Sacchan not trying to get into Gin's pants despite being in close proximity to him for 12 episodes straight felt kinda off. LMAO
Gintama is easily at it's best during serious arcs.

Jun 3, 2023 6:11 AM

Apr 2021
Otaku culture anime that is safe from otaku pandering, great actions and characters.
Jun 3, 2023 7:26 AM
Mar 2022
Try to watch the versions of the anime which has notes providing context for the jokes. There are absolutely hilarious.
Jun 3, 2023 7:55 AM
Jan 2022
Absolutely worth watching if you like comedies. Don’t go into it with the expectation that it’s going to be 100% action oriented. The comedy also improves a lot as it goes on, and the later episodes are much more consistently funny. Plus the action arcs are really strong. Overall a great anime and well worth watching.
Jun 3, 2023 7:56 AM
May 2021
I was about to drop it in the first season when I got to know that almost every episode has a different story or arc but when I completed Shinsengumi crisis(by the 3rd season) it became something irreplaceable to me, my day felt incomplete without watching it, even 1 episode was enough to laugh my heart out and trust me once u reach 300 eps all the serious arcs are gonna come but when you finish it, the only thing you'll hope for is that you can watch it again for the first time and it will become an anime you'll always cherishโœจโœจ
Jun 3, 2023 8:04 AM

Oct 2017
WVM said:

Imo gintama is the absolute best anime ever (comedy wise) There are a lot of serious action arcs but those I didnt appreciate as much. Overall the story is good.

But if you want to laugh out loud gintama is a must watch. Imo it starts getting good after like, episode 20ish, I especially remember episode 30 making me cry laughing.
Jun 3, 2023 8:55 AM
Jul 2021
WVM said:
masterbayter16 said:

I love long running animes

Watching Gintama will be the best Choice of your life.
Jun 3, 2023 9:07 AM

Sep 2020
I've never understood how people can skip reviews, google, MAL ratings, etc just to add just another lukewarm question to MAL forums. To answer your question, yes it is worth watching. You'll know if the comedy works for you at the beginning, if it doesn't, then you will most likely drop the show.

"๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š."- ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Jun 3, 2023 9:09 AM

Sep 2020
Piromysl said:
Faupauzi said:

I wouldn't say that "there is little to no comedy" because they manage to smuggle some jokes here and there, but still Sacchan not trying to get into Gin's pants despite being in close proximity to him for 12 episodes straight felt kinda off. LMAO
Gintama is easily at it's best during serious arcs.
I suppose that's the difference between people who only like/dislike Gintama and people who love it. I think the comedy is absolutely the best part of Gintama and I always found most of the Sachan scenes funny. The key word being "most". She can get pretty annoying if she's the focus of an episode for a prolonged period of time.

"๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š."- ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Jun 3, 2023 9:51 AM
Jan 2022
After rewatching it 7 times I could says it's not worth your time. Unless you want to throw away your time for some laugh, some absurdity, or some tears. You better invest your time for something better.
Jun 3, 2023 10:54 AM

Feb 2021
Yes, it's worth watching. You just need to commit to it and if you do the pay off is worth it.

"๐˜๐˜ฆ๐˜บ, ๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ช... ๐˜•๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ, ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ข ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ."
โป๐˜•๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ข ๐˜–๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ช
Jun 3, 2023 1:54 PM
Mar 2018
Yes.

Have a nice day
Jun 3, 2023 2:35 PM
Apr 2021
absolutely worth watching ๐Ÿ‘
Jun 3, 2023 5:55 PM
Jun 2020
Yes, a must watch for shonen fans.

Next question, please.
Jun 3, 2023 6:00 PM

Jan 2011
if you want comedt then its worth warching but if you are looking for a good story or maybe some action then its not worth it, even the "serious arcs" are few  an they show up every 40 episodes or so
Jun 3, 2023 8:01 PM
Aug 2021
I love Gintama, I love its characters and general wackiness.

It’s important to note that while it has its touching moments, the majority of it is a gag anime. Most episodes are turning your brain off and enjoying the jokes.

Additionally, it’s not a good beginner anime for most. It only has a couple seasons in English (a big deal for some), and the jokes are aimed at it’s Japanese audience, so not all of it lands well on foreign audiences or translates well.

Should you try Gintama? Yeah! Skip episode 1 and 2 because it’s filler and isn’t a good start to the series.
Jun 3, 2023 8:41 PM
May 2022
Yes. One of my fave.
Jun 3, 2023 9:40 PM
Aug 2021
Absolutely!!!! Has great comedy and some of the best serious arcs in anime
Jun 3, 2023 9:52 PM

Aug 2020
Yes, its worth it. You can even find a list of "plot important" episodes and watch those. Those are still mostly comedy and character development. If you do that, Id recommend committing to watching every episode when you notice the picture quality has gone up.
Keep scrolling
Jun 3, 2023 10:04 PM
Jun 2019
IT IS WORTH IT! The comedy gets better and better and all of the characters are great. Give it a chance! Lots of fourth wall breaks, too. It’s very clever.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 160 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

llamaben - Jun 4, 2009

108 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 5, 10:40 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 189 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

llamaben - Dec 24, 2009

151 by assererre »»
Jun 3, 10:01 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 150 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

PandaPuff - Mar 26, 2009

123 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 3, 8:15 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 142 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

190 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 3, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 139 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

72 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 1, 8:46 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.