Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2023 6:22 PM
Jan 2023
This is such an amazing read and watch, read and watched every volume and set of episodes side by side and it was breathtaking. 

Loved the open ending, it really makes you think of who you are as a person, also seeing your good and bad sides.

10/10 tenma my favorite.
Mar 19, 2023 6:32 PM
Mar 2022
kaguyasama2004 said:
This is such an amazing read and watch, read and watched every volume and set of episodes side by side and it was breathtaking. 

Loved the open ending, it really makes you think of who you are as a person, also seeing your good and bad sides.

10/10 tenma my favorite.

the scene where jonah/Anna mom gave one of them up was hard to watch damn....
Mar 19, 2023 6:35 PM

Jul 2020
The way Urasawa draws buildings and people in such a realistic fashion. And how he gets you in invested in every character, not just Johan.
Mar 19, 2023 6:36 PM
Mar 2023
basically EVERY character is 10/10
Mar 19, 2023 6:38 PM

Apr 2022
not my favorite anymore sadly but i'll never forget that one twist somewhere around the halfway point that literally made my jaw drop the first time i watched it. my jaw has never physically been dropped before and since that scene.
Mar 19, 2023 6:41 PM
Jan 2023
ryzxgum said:
not my favorite anymore sadly but i'll never forget that one twist somewhere around the halfway point that literally made my jaw drop the first time i watched it. my jaw has never physically been dropped before and since that scene.

was it when jonah read the monster book?
Mar 19, 2023 6:47 PM

Apr 2022
kaguyasama2004 said:
ryzxgum said:

funny part is my friend actually spoiled me on it accidentally before i watched it, so i was expecting it but it still blew my mind when it happened lmao.
Mar 19, 2023 6:57 PM
Jan 2023
ryzxgum said:
kaguyasama2004 said:

funny part is my friend actually spoiled me on it accidentally before i watched it, so i was expecting it but it still blew my mind when it happened lmao.

yeh that was insane, it was so obvious at the time it wasn't Anna, but you never saw it coming ๐Ÿ˜ถ‍๐ŸŒซ๏ธ
Mar 19, 2023 8:17 PM
Nov 2022
agreed 100% it made me so emotional towards the end too, when you realise that even johan isn't at fault for being a monster. and the whole show essentially explores human nature, which is terrifying yet comforting to know of :)
Mar 19, 2023 8:28 PM

Feb 2021
Monster is one of my favourite pieces of animated fiction ever, the other being Steins;Gate, Death Note and Gravity Falls. The sheer brilliance of the story is just unfathomable. The way Urasawa wrote each and every character, detailing their journeys as they all reveal their inner monsters sooner or later, is just amazing. Not to mention that the thrill of it all is elevated by the beautiful ost of the anime. Masterpiece.
Mar 19, 2023 10:30 PM

Feb 2021
Peak fiction should be considered the best piece of fiction to ever come out. This is not it chief. I love the show to bits but no way in hell this is “peak fiction”.
Mar 19, 2023 11:11 PM
Oct 2022
i cannot disagree
Mar 20, 2023 12:59 AM
Aug 2021
Unpopular opinion but I hated that it was an open ending like I need to know where tf he went after that๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Mar 20, 2023 2:09 AM
Jan 2021
kaguyasama2004 said:

10/10 tenma my favorite.

Ya you’d be right
Mar 20, 2023 2:40 AM
Oct 2022
i love this anime so much ๐Ÿ˜ญ wish i forgot watched it so i can watch it again
Mar 20, 2023 2:41 AM
Nov 2022
kakashis_sidehoe said:
Unpopular opinion but I hated that it was an open ending like I need to know where tf he went after that๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

fr fr ๐Ÿ˜ญ the writer could've atleast put out his own theory that he wouldn't have made canon ๐Ÿ˜ญ

i finished monster just yesterday so i haven't had a lot of time to think about it, but so far i don't think johan would start the killings all over again because there'd be no point to them, BUT would he really live normally after escaping ๐Ÿ’€
Mar 20, 2023 3:01 AM
Apr 2022
the anime is a masterpiece but it have some parts when it gets boring like the part where lotte and Neumann where trying to prove that Shuwald is Neumann dad until johan had taken the part, it was very nice after Johan took the part.
Mar 20, 2023 3:53 AM
Jan 2023
Z3T_192 said:
the anime is a masterpiece but it have some parts when it gets boring like the part where lotte and Neumann where trying to prove that Shuwald is Neumann dad until johan had taken the part, it was very nice after Johan took the part.

I feel there is slow pacing but once you look back, almost every episode is important to the overall narrative imo.

those I respect your opinion and can see what you mean :)
Mar 20, 2023 3:55 AM

Jul 2021
The main plot makes no sense, the love life of Eva is the only truly well done part of this show.
Mar 20, 2023 3:59 AM
Jan 2023
JaniSIr said:
The main plot makes no sense, the love life of Eva is the only truly well done part of this show.

I followed the story narrative perfectly well ๐Ÿ‘Œ
Mar 20, 2023 4:05 AM
Jul 2018
best of all time
to me it is simply the BEST
10/10 easily
Mar 20, 2023 4:58 AM

Jul 2021
sarahhale said:
JaniSIr said:

I followed it too, it just kinda went nowhere .
Johan was hyped up, but ultimately wasn't ever on screen.
Tenma got no character development, and his views were never vindicated.
Anna just kept swooning after the library fire, and did nothing else.
The pacing is atrocious, it's riddled with recap, and dragging out everything so that the episode can end on a cliffhanger.

It did a couple things right, like having many strong male side characters, and I really liked having Eva on screen, but ultimately it was a huge disappointment.
Mar 20, 2023 7:23 AM

Dec 2021
JaniSIr said:
sarahhale said:

The pacing is atrocious, it's riddled with recap, and dragging out everything so that the episode can end on a cliffhanger.

It did a couple things right, like having many strong male side characters, and I really liked having Eva on screen, but ultimately it was a huge disappointment.

johan has less screentime because it makes it special when he's on the screen, yk it's just a different feeling. (quality over quantity)
and how does a show become bad if a character is not developed. (character development is overrated tbh)
Anna had to be traumatized after knowing her past, she was a very good perspective on understanding johan.
The show has to be slow, it mixes with the shows environment well. Can't imagine monster being fast paced, that would change a lot.
Mar 20, 2023 7:29 AM

Sep 2020
Yep, I finished the manga in like two or three weeks. It was great.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Mar 20, 2023 8:29 AM

Jul 2021
vinnywizanime said:
JaniSIr said:

johan has less screentime because it makes it special when he's on the screen, yk it's just a different feeling. (quality over quantity)
and how does a show become bad if a character is not developed. (character development is overrated tbh)
Anna had to be traumatized after knowing her past, she was a very good perspective on understanding johan.
The show has to be slow, it mixes with the shows environment well. Can't imagine monster being fast paced, that would change a lot.

It's neither really. Johan is supposed to be this charismatic criminal mastermind, but without seeing how he operates it's kind of meaningless. My guess is that the author didn't know how to make a character that lives up to the hype he built up around him, so he just didn't. Also Johan just seems to have authorial knowledge, his complex plans just work, but we were never shown how he did it.

Stories are inherently dynamic things, it's important what changes, and characters are generally very important in stories. Static characters aren't necessarily a bad thing, if the scope of the story is larger than life. Like Warhammer 40k characters are generally just representations of their faction, who die on short notice. If Tenma's viewpoint of no killing under any circumstances would have been justified by the end, I would have been fine with it, but he basically just allowed Johan to run amok, when shooting him in the foot could have resolved the plot.

Anna was a flashback machine. That's not a full character...

And you could cut down the runtime to like 50 episodes without significantly changing anything. It does not need to be fast paced, but it's wasting time to force cliffhangers at the end of the episodes.
Mar 20, 2023 8:54 AM
May 2018
my fave anime/manga of all time, love the character development  and it made me rethink my opinion toward some of them for the better, such a stirring manga/anime
Mar 20, 2023 9:13 AM

Dec 2021
JaniSIr said:
vinnywizanime said:

It's neither really. Johan is supposed to be this charismatic criminal mastermind, but without seeing how he operates it's kind of meaningless. My guess is that the author didn't know how to make a character that lives up to the hype he built up around him, so he just didn't. Also Johan just seems to have authorial knowledge, his complex plans just work, but we were never shown how he did it.

Stories are inherently dynamic things, it's important what changes, and characters are generally very important in stories. Static characters aren't necessarily a bad thing, if the scope of the story is larger than life. Like Warhammer 40k characters are generally just representations of their faction, who die on short notice. If Tenma's viewpoint of no killing under any circumstances would have been justified by the end, I would have been fine with it, but he basically just allowed Johan to run amok, when shooting him in the foot could have resolved the plot.

And you could cut down the runtime to like 50 episodes without significantly changing anything. It does not need to be fast paced, but it's wasting time to force cliffhangers at the end of the episodes.

monster leaves a lot of things to our interpretation, not just johans plans. It's a great way of storytelling like you're assuming stuff and filling the blanks yourself, which is a great way of storytelling in my opinion. It doesnt seem like its for you , it's for imaginative people I guess who likes to fill the gaps with their own imagination. Tenma believes that all lives our equal and johan believes that death is equal to all humans. Johan wanted tenma to I think not stick with his morals and show him he has a monster inside him too by killing johan.
but tenma didn't kill him and revived him again and johans plan tbf fails.
Oh and that flashback machine is really important for the story, increased a lot more curiousity on who johan really is. It's a mystery story, I really don't think it's for everyone and judging by the fact you have code geass on your favs which I tbh thought was really average which just shows we are different and theres no point in arguing if a show I good or bad. Peace โœŒ๐Ÿป
Mar 20, 2023 10:11 AM

Jul 2021
vinnywizanime said:
JaniSIr said:

monster leaves a lot of things to our interpretation, not just johans plans. It's a great way of storytelling like you're assuming stuff and filling the blanks yourself, which is a great way of storytelling in my opinion. It doesnt seem like its for you , it's for imaginative people I guess who likes to fill the gaps with their own imagination. Tenma believes that all lives our equal and johan believes that death is equal to all humans. Johan wanted tenma to I think not stick with his morals and show him he has a monster inside him too by killing johan.
but tenma didn't kill him and revived him again and johans plan tbf fails.
Oh and that flashback machine is really important for the story, increased a lot more curiousity on who johan really is. It's a mystery story, I really don't think it's for everyone and judging by the fact you have code geass on your favs which I tbh thought was really average which just shows we are different and theres no point in arguing if a show I good or bad. Peace โœŒ๐Ÿป

Filling in some gaps is one thing, but this is just a huge violation of the "show, don't tell" principle, which bothers even me, even though I actually like to argue against it.

But because Tenma didn't deal with Johan in one of the many numerous occasions when he had the chance, he is kind of indirectly responsible for the death of a full village... And he didn't need to kill him, shooting him in the leg would have worked. Or really, the show could have been over in episode 4, if he just punched Johan really hard in the head. Not risking that makes sense for a doctor, but that's just how fragile Johan's plans are.

Anna was also important for the story, but she lost her agency. It's pretty ironic that of all the people the 3 main characters are the worst. Like there is Martin, he was a memorable side character, who only appeared in 4 episodes, so the author can make good stuff too...
Mar 20, 2023 12:05 PM
Aug 2021
-primrose said:
kakashis_sidehoe said:

fr fr ๐Ÿ˜ญ the writer could've atleast put out his own theory that he wouldn't have made canon ๐Ÿ˜ญ

i finished monster just yesterday so i haven't had a lot of time to think about it, but so far i don't think johan would start the killings all over again because there'd be no point to them, BUT would he really live normally after escaping ๐Ÿ’€

That’s what I’m thinking too I’m so on the fence about it. Like I honestly feel like he wouldn’t just give up his goal since there’s so many people left to go after but then what was the point of the story if we don’t get to see him do all that๐Ÿ˜ฉ
Mar 21, 2023 7:04 AM
Jan 2022
only one word
"YES"
Mar 21, 2023 1:32 PM
Mar 2017
I'm glad this anime is finally getting some more attention
Mar 22, 2023 2:50 AM

Aug 2020
Best anime i've ever seen yes. Not sure about "peak fiction" tho.

JaniSIr said:
vinnywizanime said:

mate i've already dealt with your arguments before. Get over it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

160 by Finn086 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

204 by Finn086 »»
Today, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

139 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 1, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

95 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 1, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 56 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

104 by AdomaniaP »»
Jun 1, 7:35 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.