Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 9, 2023 12:19 PM
Nov 2020
With the arrival of season 2, I have seen a lot more posts about Thorfinn obviously. what really strikes me are the post saying he's a better MC than Musashi and Guts. I personally have no problems with people voicing or having an opinion, I would just like to know why people think this. my view on Thorfinn is purely based on the anime and I haven't been impressed with him, Askeladd easily stole season 1. For those that have read the manga, does Thorfinn really get that good to be compared to Guts and Musashi? What im trying to get at is that Guts and Musashi were great since chapter 1. I understand that we saw Thorfinn grow up but it just felt so fast that i never really grew a connection with him from child to current anime. Based on responses I might read ahead if he truly becomes a Goated MC. 
Feb 9, 2023 12:33 PM

Jul 2015
He reminds me of Zuko, actually.
Both are dumb kids with tunnel vision, Evo strayed from proper path and are in desperate need of guidance.

Feb 9, 2023 12:44 PM
Aug 2021
Prologue Throfinn isn't nothing like later series Thorfinn. From here on out Thorfinn recieves the character development he's needed since s1. He really becomes a way better mc as the story goes.
Feb 9, 2023 12:57 PM

Aug 2022
Thorfinn literally goes through the "Guts phase". Just like Guts, he struggles to understand the meaning of life, and in the future
and this is where his character development really shines.

Thorfinn being a flawed person and an annoying kid throughout the prologue, is what makes his development in Farmland Saga so impressive.

I used to hate Thorfinn as a child, then he became one of my top favorite characters of all time. Truly peak development.
Feb 9, 2023 12:58 PM
Mar 2022
I personally think thorfinn is not even in the same tier with musashi let alone being better than guts
Don't get me wrong, I really like the character development of thorfinn but being better than guts and musashi is objectively wrong
Feb 9, 2023 1:02 PM
Nov 2020
zero_uchiha said:
I personally think thorfinn is not even in the same tier with musashi let alone being better than guts
Don't get me wrong, I really like the character development of thorfinn but being better than guts and musashi is objectively wrong

Thats how i feel rn, Musashi is my favorite character of all time. Guts and Musashi are great throughout their whole story so for someone to say Thorfinn is better than them blows my mind cause he doesn’t even feel like the main character in the prologue.
Feb 9, 2023 1:07 PM
Jan 2021
the point of thorfinn's character is that you're not supposed to like him at first but grow to love him over time.
Feb 9, 2023 1:10 PM
Jan 2021
zero_uchiha said:

I've read Vagabond up until kojiro Arc, and I don't really like musashi either, but that's the point coz I'm sure he's gonna get to improve as a person. it's the same with thorfinn, and he deserves to be in the same tier as musashi.
Feb 9, 2023 1:13 PM

Aug 2022
ardaljebeli said:
zero_uchiha said:

I've read Vagabond up until kojiro Arc, and I don't really like musashi either, but that's the point coz I'm sure he's gonna get to improve as a person. it's the same with thorfinn, and he deserves to be in the same tier as musashi.

I think they're mistaking being badass with being a good character. Neither Guts nor Musashi were incredible characters in the first arcs, they grow over time and become the pillars of manga we have today. Originally tho they're just like Thorfinn, nothing more than stereotypical strong dudes.
Feb 9, 2023 1:17 PM

May 2015
I haven't read much of Berserk and I haven't read Vagabond at all yet, so I can't speak on Guts and Musashi's development. But Thorfinn 100% deserves to be in the upper echelons of great and well developed main characters. His transformation as a person throughout the story is some of the best character writing I've seen.

Feb 9, 2023 1:18 PM
May 2022
in season 1 I did not really like him as much but as someone who has been up to date with the manga (except the last months) I can tell that he easily becomes one of my favourite mc's of all time.
thats also no coincidence since he author wants the reader to like the character after they develop
Feb 9, 2023 1:23 PM
Nov 2020
StaleNut said:
ardaljebeli said:

I think they're mistaking being badass with being a good character. Neither Guts nor Musashi were incredible characters in the first arcs, they grow over time and become the pillars of manga we have today. Originally tho they're just like Thorfinn, nothing more than stereotypical strong dudes.

I would definitely disagree on Guts not being great since the beginning, guts was a very well written character in the golden age arc and not just a strong character. Concerning Musashi i have a bias, putting that aside i can see how he may not be the best written early on. My take is that in the story as a whole you see him grow to become, in my opinion, one of the best characters. He goes from a young adult who only cares about winning to finding his own goals and meaning to life. The point of this post was to see what manga readers have yo say about Thorfinns character development. Because in the prologue he’s just simply not enjoyable. I felt no emotion towards him. Thors and askeladd on the other hand were fantastic. Hoping my opinion on Thorfinn changes. I’ll probably start reading after season 2 finishes airing.
Feb 9, 2023 1:58 PM
Jun 2021
Read the manga. I still have Musashi > Thorfinn, but for me Thorfinn is definitely better than Guts.
Feb 9, 2023 2:00 PM
Dec 2022
DaichiTengri said:
With the arrival of season 2, I have seen a lot more posts about Thorfinn obviously. what really strikes me are the post saying he's a better MC than Musashi and Guts. I personally have no problems with people voicing or having an opinion, I would just like to know why people think this. my view on Thorfinn is purely based on the anime and I haven't been impressed with him, Askeladd easily stole season 1. For those that have read the manga, does Thorfinn really get that good to be compared to Guts and Musashi? What im trying to get at is that Guts and Musashi were great since chapter 1. I understand that we saw Thorfinn grow up but it just felt so fast that i never really grew a connection with him from child to current anime. Based on responses I might read ahead if he truly becomes a Goated MC. 

who the hell are guts and musashi
Feb 9, 2023 2:02 PM

Aug 2022
DaichiTengri said:
StaleNut said:

I would definitely disagree on Guts not being great since the beginning, guts was a very well written character in the golden age arc and not just a strong character. Concerning Musashi i have a bias, putting that aside i can see how he may not be the best written early on. My take is that in the story as a whole you see him grow to become, in my opinion, one of the best characters. He goes from a young adult who only cares about winning to finding his own goals and meaning to life. The point of this post was to see what manga readers have yo say about Thorfinns character development. Because in the prologue he’s just simply not enjoyable. I felt no emotion towards him. Thors and askeladd on the other hand were fantastic. Hoping my opinion on Thorfinn changes. I’ll probably start reading after season 2 finishes airing.

Guts in the first arc of the manga is literally Thorfinn. We see growth in the golden age arc, which comes after the first arc of the series, just like Farmland Saga. And if you liked Thors, then you're going to love Thorfinn. He follows his fathers footsteps.
Feb 9, 2023 2:06 PM

Aug 2022
dockywoc said:
DaichiTengri said:

2 of the greatest mc's in fiction. Guts is from Berserk, Musashi's from Vagabond.
Feb 9, 2023 2:47 PM

Feb 2010
I don't know if he's better but there's something definitively heart wrenching watching a kid descend rather than having such things as a flashback to discover later
Feb 9, 2023 2:48 PM
Feb 2021
Thorfinn basically takes a chill pill and better understands the meaning of life
Feb 9, 2023 2:50 PM
Nov 2020
bossunhimeswitch said:
I don't know if he's better but there's something definitively heart wrenching watching a kid descend rather than having such things as a flashback to discover later

I can agree with that, i like that they started when he’s young, i just wish he didn’t seem so one dimensional early on. All I’ve heard so far is he gets better so I’m looking forward to it
Feb 9, 2023 3:04 PM

Jan 2020
Prologue Thorfinn felt like Black Swordsman Guts and “Shinmen Takezo” Musashi. They seem like extremely one dimensional characters with killing as their only purpose in life.

However, I personally dont really put Thorfinn in the same tier as Musashi and Guts, primarily due to the fact that Thorfinn’s development happens at a very fast pace in contrast to Musashi and Guts, both of whom developed as the arcs progressed.

Nonetheless, all three of them are amazing characters in their own right so there really isn’t a need to compare them all imo.
Feb 9, 2023 4:08 PM
Jul 2021
20 weeks. (character limit)
Feb 9, 2023 6:45 PM
Jan 2021
DaichiTengri said:
StaleNut said:

I'd agree that guts was likable from the very beginning but when it comes to musashi and thorfinn they're really similar to me personally therefore in the same tier as characters
Feb 9, 2023 6:52 PM
Feb 2020
DaichiTengri said:

You should read the manga and find out. They all go through similar stuff.
Feb 9, 2023 7:06 PM

Sep 2020
As a non-manga reader, I don't see the hype and I probably never will tbh. Musashi and Guts are goated tho

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Feb 9, 2023 9:35 PM
Nov 2021
DaichiTengri said:
zero_uchiha said:

Thats how i feel rn, Musashi is my favorite character of all time. Guts and Musashi are great throughout their whole story so for someone to say Thorfinn is better than them blows my mind cause he doesn’t even feel like the main character in the prologue.

Sure in the prologue but there is an entire manga that exists. Musashi is my favorite but Thorfinn is up there with him. Sometimes it’s hard for me to choose between the two.
Feb 9, 2023 11:11 PM
Nov 2019
In my opinion, the mangaka did an amazing job crafting thorfinn for driving forward the core messages and themes of the show. As a character himself, he does go through change but he becomes more the embodiment of morals and themes to drive the show, rather than your usual well developed shounen protag. Because you see him live through these experiences and make active choices for some horrible acts, we’ll have to watch him cope with these memories and try to live a better life knowing he probably doesn’t deserve it. I’ve never seen a series change and mold into shape like how vinland saga did and you’ll have to see what I mean by that in the coming episodes/seasons.
Feb 9, 2023 11:19 PM
Nov 2019
DaichiTengri said:
zero_uchiha said:

Just posted an opinion but I have something to say on this too. I think thorfinn more being dragged along by these big political powers with 5 year long plans of how to shape the future for their benefit was a very good choice. It not only gives him more to think about as he’s driven on his revenge plot, but also gives him the necessary connections and knowledge on how to approach situations like this. It’s a very good layout to let this character go through his fucked up thoughts, then in retrospection, use the experience he has for the better. So I know he seemed more of a side character, but that’s kinda who he was, as these big things were happening in the world around him, he was focused only on getting his revenge. This was the setup for a very good payoff down the line. I have lots of respect for writers who, from the beginning, are laying out the story, very purposefully(ie. chainsaw man, Joe Abercrombie books)
Feb 9, 2023 11:40 PM
Nov 2020
Frozentundra11 said:
DaichiTengri said:

You should read the manga and find out. They all go through similar stuff.

After reading responses I’m planning to after season 2 finishes airing, just kinda wanted to make sure this wasn’t his peak yet
Feb 9, 2023 11:49 PM
Feb 2022
4nders said:
Read the manga. I still have Musashi > Thorfinn, but for me Thorfinn is definitely better than Guts.

have you ever read Berserk? you're throwing out best written mc of all time.
Feb 10, 2023 12:03 AM
Jul 2022
Yeah, one day i saw Berserk is on the top of the highest rated manga so I decided to add it to by favourite list just to look cool and it doesn't matter if I never read it.
Feb 10, 2023 2:44 AM
Jun 2021
El_Professor07 said:
4nders said:

Yes, I'm caught up with all three of them. I'm not saying Guts is a bad character—I like him a lot—I just find Thorfinn and Musashi to be better.
Feb 10, 2023 5:27 AM
Feb 2022
4nders said:
El_Professor07 said:

Yes, I'm caught up with all three of them. I'm not saying Guts is a bad character—I like him a lot—I just find Thorfinn and Musashi to be better.

If you say so maybe you're right, I'm caught up with Berserk and Vagabond only and I'm in currently Eastern expedition arc, I'll read continue after watching this season.
El_Professor07Feb 10, 2023 8:26 AM
Feb 10, 2023 7:11 AM
Feb 2021
I think based on the manga it’s not a bad take, but I think I still have guts and Musashi over him.
Feb 10, 2023 8:24 AM
May 2021
the best of those three is subjective thorfinn is in my opinion the best because I think his redemption and just overall character arc feels the most fulfilling
Feb 10, 2023 8:25 AM
May 2021
El_Professor07 said:
4nders said:

berserk is great but guts isn't objectively the greatest mc
Feb 10, 2023 11:11 PM
Mar 2021
DaichiTengri said:

I don't know if you will like him more than musashi and guys but you will understand why people like him as much a sthey do. when I watched the first season I was disappointed at the thorfinn as a character as I expected someone with a character as good as guts' but i got this one note angry kid, but then I read the manga and he's one of my favorite protagonists in fiction, so in short wait a little and you'll see
Feb 11, 2023 12:05 AM
Mar 2022
dockywoc said:
DaichiTengri said:

Bruh😂😂😂 go read berserk
Feb 13, 2023 2:07 PM
Feb 2021
What people somehow fail to realise about the prologue is that it’s literally a prologue. Which serves to provide info before the main story begins. Thorfinns story and his journey does not begin in season 1
Feb 14, 2023 3:24 AM
Jan 2023
I think hes great. Once you see more of how his character develops you might like him. But I mean, you are comparing him to Guts and Musashi so that might be a little unfair lol.
Feb 14, 2023 3:29 AM

Jan 2020
i have read all 3 mangas 
imo - musashi>guts>thorfinn 
don't get me wrong both are top-tier characters but in terms development i think this the perfect ranking 
[font="\"lucida grande\", tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif"]                                                     [/font]
Feb 14, 2023 10:22 PM
Mar 2021
he does recieve a lot of development in the coming season. the farmland saga arc is acctually in my opini9n quite similar to Vagabonds farm arc

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2019

256 by FarCritical »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by FarCritical »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

174 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2019

397 by FarCritical »»
May 27, 12:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.