Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2023 8:51 AM
Apr 2022
Spoilers for episode 48. Lunge has just arrived in Czech for his vacation. The commisioner told him about a case EXACTLY like Tenma's, down to the poisoned candy yet the dork can't seem to use his "objective memory" to figure out shit. There's Anna Liebert, Dr. Reinwich's and Rudy's buttload of proof, Johan's name in the picture book, the same author's drawing of twins, etc. No spoilers about whether he finally believes Tenma or not or any spoilers for anything ahead of episode 48 please.
Feb 7, 2023 9:00 AM

Aug 2022
No he's just obsessed. If he was stupid he wouldn't be able to find Tenma at all, yet he always manages to. Obsession can overshadow any bit of intelligence a person has.
Feb 7, 2023 9:04 AM
Oct 2019
MinusAlternative said:
Spoilers for episode 48. Lunge has just arrived in Czech for his vacation. The commisioner told him about a case EXACTLY like Tenma's, down to the poisoned candy yet the dork can't seem to use his "objective memory" to figure out shit. There's Anna Liebert, Dr. Reinwich's and Rudy's buttload of proof, Johan's name in the picture book, the same author's drawing of twins, etc. No spoilers about whether he finally believes Tenma or not or any spoilers for anything ahead of episode 48 please.

Lunge seems obsessed with the idea that he is always correct and that he wasn’t wrong about tenma. He doesn’t see the obvious clues because he doesn’t want to believe he was wrong. He’s so paranoid about being right that he misses the answers right in front of him. Think of him as Javert from Les Miserables.
Feb 7, 2023 9:23 AM
Oct 2008
MinusAlternative said:

Lunge was stubborn and because of that stupid. I won't spam about later tho.
Feb 7, 2023 9:45 AM
Jun 2022
I agree with the previous answers. He's just obsessed (this will only be proved over and over), and it serves as part of the story (a character flaw) and shows that no human can truly be 100% objective.
edit: btw i too found it extremely annoying at the moment but can only appreciate it as time goes on. 
AlZ3biFeb 7, 2023 9:49 AM
Feb 7, 2023 10:52 AM
Nov 2021
it is just you. lunge's prolly my fav character, but (like all answers above stated) he is overly obsessed with tenma and (like above stated too) that overshadows any rational thought. you'll see tho, it's an amazing show with full of amazing characters :D
Feb 7, 2023 12:48 PM
Sep 2022
I think you might like him by the end of the series, i used to think the same at first but eventually he became one of my favorite character of Monster
Feb 7, 2023 1:50 PM
Apr 2021
Yeah he’s kind of just a plot device so they are still going after tenma instead of actually using their minds and realizing he did nothing.
Feb 7, 2023 3:30 PM
Aug 2021
He’s so smart and obsessed that it makes him dumb
Feb 7, 2023 6:01 PM
Oct 2022
MinusAlternative said:

well, he has said before that he thinks that Johan doesn't exist...... and he won't change his mind no matter what happens ( that's his ego probably)
Feb 7, 2023 9:08 PM

Dec 2021
lunge is very intelligent, he said in episode 3 or 4 that he has solved every case he took on , so that makes him think he cannot be wrong about the suspicion on tenma, he's probably my fav in monster and as for liking him wait till ep 51 😉
Feb 7, 2023 10:30 PM

Oct 2021
even if he isn't correct about tenma , he is correct about following him leads to solving the case, they are both after the murderer even if lunge think he isn't real.
as long as tenma believes johan is real (whenever his real or no) he holds the key to finding him.
maybe also he trying to hide the existence of johan so people won't go after him cause he is dangerous and would much rather everyone looking for the the more mild tenma. whom for the most part isn't hiding particularly good.
maybe im a bit overthinking and he is just obsessed, that's just my take.
“you’re immortal. Aren’t you?”
“that’s a good line, put that one on my tombstone”
-LOTGH
Feb 8, 2023 6:28 AM
Nov 2021
MinusAlternative said:

he is so stupid,he cant accept the fact his deduction was wrong and kept chasing tenma instead of thoma and johan takes adv of this
Feb 8, 2023 7:34 AM
May 2022
He is obsessed... obsession makes people unable to grasp the obvious sometimes that's what happened with him..I won't say that he is plain dumb.
Feb 8, 2023 7:36 AM
May 2022
santosh___15 said:
MinusAlternative said:

he is so stupid,he cant accept the fact his deduction was wrong and kept chasing tenma instead of thoma and johan takes adv of this

I mean that's obsession... I'm right cause I'm right- kind of situation
He is not stopid a bit paranoid maybe
Feb 8, 2023 9:12 AM
Apr 2022
So I'm on episode 56 now and seems like he's finally accepted the existence of Johan. So I guess I like him a bit now.
Feb 10, 2023 8:06 AM
May 2022
No he’s just arrogant and obsessed
Feb 18, 2023 5:24 AM

May 2019
Just here to nitpick your post. I would want to say I'm kidding, but I want to adress something specific I doubt any other will correct: His memory wasn't objective, it was subjective and that was the whole point. Gillen critiqued him saying he should record everything in an objective way, since a lot of the information is lost and distorted in a subjective medium like memory. Also, there's a lot of prejudice in that.

Prejudice, that's it. He is not dumb, he is stubborn. He saw Tenma checked every box and that was more than enough. He had the perfect aliby as the savior medic everyone loved. That made Lunge doubt him and, ultimately, go against all odds for persecuting Tenma.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

106 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

102 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

160 by Finn086 »»
Today, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

204 by Finn086 »»
Today, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

139 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 1, 9:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.