Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 16, 2022 4:43 AM

Apr 2012
The original work should probably be perceived as a classic story about the transformation of a loser into an ideal person with appropriate social criticism (how good is a separate question), but throughout the viewing I constantly had the feeling that I was watching some kind of near-fascist social system. Where your value and "quality" as a person depends only on how handsome and popular you are. Is this just the result of artistic exaggeration, or is Korean pop culture really so obsessed with looks, popularity, and social status that it makes American or Japanese pop culture look plush by comparison? What do you think of it? Did you feel similar discomfort while watching this show?
Dec 16, 2022 4:58 AM
Dec 2022
RobertBobert said:
The original work should probably be perceived as a classic story about the transformation of a loser into an ideal person with appropriate social criticism (how good is a separate question), but throughout the viewing I constantly had the feeling that I was watching some kind of near-fascist social system. Where your value and "quality" as a person depends only on how handsome and popular you are. Is this just the result of artistic exaggeration, or is Korean pop culture really so obsessed with looks, popularity, and social status that it makes American or Japanese pop culture look plush by comparison? What do you think of it? Did you feel similar discomfort while watching this show?

I don't really know what is "near-fascist social system" but my thought on anything happen in this series is just a story that make you see point of view of a popular guy and unattractive guy and i don!t really feel discomfort about it. For the korean pop culture that really obsessed with looks, maybe it have some connection with that producer say in final eps(sorry, i really forgot how to hide the spoiler part).
Dec 16, 2022 5:14 AM

Apr 2012
Dibrummmmm said:
RobertBobert said:

I don't really know what is "near-fascist social system" but my thought on anything happen in this series is just a story that make you see point of view of a popular guy and unattractive guy and i don!t really feel discomfort about it. For the korean pop culture that really obsessed with looks, maybe it have some connection with that producer say in final eps(sorry, i really forgot how to hide the spoiler part).

I didn't see any POV on this show, probably because of the exaggeration. This show actually directly connects appearance with the value of a person.
Dec 16, 2022 5:16 AM
Nov 2021
I truly felt discomfort while watching this show... I don't know if anyone get bullied solely based on bad looks...!!and i haven't seen any people obsessing over a good looking guy as shown in this show
Dec 16, 2022 5:24 AM
Dec 2022
RobertBobert said:
Dibrummmmm said:

I didn't see any POV on this show, probably because of the exaggeration. This show actually directly connects appearance with the value of a person.
probably, anyway it just my thought and
what im seeing through this series
Dec 16, 2022 5:32 AM

Oct 2021
RobertBobert said:
is Korean pop culture really so obsessed with looks

It really is, and that's what held this series back. It focuses far too much on fat people because Korean society has very high body standards compared to the west where obesity is more common and accepted. The actual message of the show changed from the struggles people face based on their looks to why being fat equates to social rejection, which I believe is related to Korean culture, because in the west you'll rarely see someone being able to even harass a person 2-3x bigger than them. They'll get pummeled instantly.

I might be wrong in this assumption, but compared to other series, this doesn't portray bullying well, and maybe that's because the author hasn't actually been bullied or have actual bully stories to draw inspiration from, and so he diverges from his original theme. The message it's trying to promote isn't correct and that just didn't overall sit well with me. There are a lot more layers to this problem that have been completely untouched. (Such as how personality plays a big part in being bully prey.)
PriinceYukiDec 16, 2022 5:37 AM

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Don't try and get me to cook
I can take care of anything
else but not that

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Dec 16, 2022 5:36 AM
Nov 2020
I think it’s both exaggerated and trying to picture our system. There are studies that show that being attractive can help you to be more successful not just socially but in work as well. A huge part of social media is about good looks even to the point where the human body becomes a trend. When we grow up in such an environment, it doesn’t matter what we do actively, our brain learns that society values good looking people and we build prejudices up upon that. So everything shown in this show is true to a certain point. On a personal level, social/society level and job level, anywhere, looks do play a role to some point and most of the time businesses (like the film industry, kpop industry, popular individuals, the clothing industry) decide what looks good and what not and earn money with that. When they decide what is good looking and you learn that good looking people are more successful, you become influenceable (& eventually pay money). It pretty much is like a shit system comparable to be near-fascist (you probably said that because there is so much discrimination, unfairness and selection between groups of people?).
But that doesn’t mean that every person who doesn’t fit into the good looking standard is unsuccessful or bullied. The point is that these bad things happen much more often to „unattractive“ people than to „attractive“. There is no denying that there is a huge disadvantage if you don’t fit in the beauty standards and in my opinion, the show depicts this very good for example by
[SPOILER]
showing that the dude who wrote the song and put in most effort was cut out from the video in the end even though he performed well.
[Spoiler End]
The fact that every character who didn’t fit in the beauty standards was bullied or bullied others is exaggerated tho. Also, there are many people who work against these prejudices and against the beauty standards. The show had a purpose (i think it was to show the Lookism of society) and created/used the characters for that purpose. It is indeed uneasy to watch but that makes it even scarier because that does happen to people irl and we all live in that kind of society - not just south korea.

Wow haha I‘ve never written something so long on Mal before
Dec 16, 2022 5:54 AM

Apr 2012
PriinceYuki said:
RobertBobert said:
is Korean pop culture really so obsessed with looks

It really is, and that's what held this series back. It focuses far too much on fat people because Korean society has very high body standards compared to the west where obesity is more common and accepted. The actual message of the show changed from the struggles people face based on their looks to why being fat equates to social rejection, which I believe is related to Korean culture, because in the west you'll rarely see someone being able to even harass a person 2-3x bigger than them. They'll get pummeled instantly.

I might be wrong in this assumption, but compared to other series, this doesn't portray bullying well, and maybe that's because the author hasn't actually been bullied or have actual bully stories to draw inspiration from, and so he diverges from his original theme. The message it's trying to promote isn't correct and that just didn't overall sit well with me. There are a lot more layers to this problem that have been completely untouched. (Such as how personality plays a big part in being bully prey.)

Well, I know that Asian youth are quite violent and that in Korea girls are even given plastic surgeries for coming of age, but intentionally or not, the show is too steeped in the spirit of social Darwinism. I also agree about the lack of disclosure of bullying issues. But I'm more confused that the show says "stop being fat so you don't get bullied" instead of "criticizing the bullying because of the physique per se.
RobertBobertDec 16, 2022 6:00 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gaiken Shijou Shugi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

teddgod - Dec 8, 2022

94 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 30, 1:30 AM

Poll: » Gaiken Shijou Shugi Episode 7 Discussion

teddgod - Dec 8, 2022

8 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 30, 1:19 AM

Poll: » Gaiken Shijou Shugi Episode 6 Discussion

teddgod - Dec 8, 2022

11 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 30, 12:50 AM

Poll: » Gaiken Shijou Shugi Episode 5 Discussion

teddgod - Dec 8, 2022

14 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 30, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Gaiken Shijou Shugi Episode 4 Discussion

teddgod - Dec 8, 2022

13 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 30, 12:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.