Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2022 11:14 PM
Mar 2021
Don't get me wrong, Fate/stay night isn't great either and it has *a lot* of issues but it turned out to be wayyyyyy closer to Unlimited Blade Works than people led me to believe.

Yes, Shirou is a colossal sexist piece of shit in this series. And yes, Unlimited Blade Works has fantastic animation.

But for as much as Shirou sucks, he's equally boring in UBW and bears less character resemblance to Archer or Kiritsugu who were both pieces of shit in their own right.

Fate/stay night also does a much better job of creating an aesthetic and capturing an atmosphere to accompany the Holy Grail War. Not to mention, the series also has an incredible musical score / sound throughout (I'd argue this alone makes it worth watching because the music is truly fantastic).

And it could've been mostly down to production decisions but the relative lack of fighting in Fate/stay night felt much more consistent with the *major* plot point that Shirou was unable to produce sufficient mana. The fights with other Servants and the violence throughout the series just felt more impactful and high stakes even though they were much more poorly animated.

Anyways, just my two cents because it doesn't make much sense to me why UBW is mostly liked and Fate stay/night is mostly panned. Neither are great but Nasu's reluctance to make another Fate route adaption actually makes a lot of sense to me now.

For clarity and because it matters to certain people, I watched Fate/Zero -> UBW -> Heaven's Feel -> Fate stay/night in that order and I'd rank them: 1. Zero, 2. Heaven's Feel, 3. Fate, 4. UBW
Dec 5, 2022 11:47 PM
Apr 2022
I think most people hate Deen's Fate as an adaptation. As it's own entity it's good. And yes - the music is incredible (at least better than what ufotable used).

I went Deen's F/SN then UBW then HF then Zero.
To get as close to the VN's order as possible as I won't be able to play through it anytime soon.

Apparently Deen makes certain changes to the Fate route and added things that were in other routes. Not necessarily spoiling the other routes but giving big hints. That's why I say that people dislike it AS AN ADAPTATION.

Overall it lacks the intensity that ufotable brought. Does have a sort of "kid's show" feel. And the animation, even for it's time, is not impressive (artstyle is good though).

I guess what I'm saying is...
F/SN Is good. Under-rated actually.
But ufotable made everything so so much better than Deen ever could. UBW,HF & Zero have everything you could want in an anime and do it better than what Deen did.
Dec 5, 2022 11:57 PM

Aug 2022
It lacks...practically everything the other adaptations manage to deliver. Intensity, hype, emotional impact etc. I never really got invested to this Deen adaptation. The characters all felt bland, the storyline wasn't polished, the fights were abhorrent and so was the animation. The music was great, but so was the music for UBW. I'm not a visual novel player, so I'm only judging these adaptations by how much I personally enjoyed them on their own.
Dec 5, 2022 11:59 PM
Feb 2021
antifascistas said:
Don't get me wrong, Fate/stay night isn't great either and it has *a lot* of issues but it turned out to be wayyyyyy closer to Unlimited Blade Works than people led me to believe.

Yes, Shirou is a colossal sexist piece of shit in this series. And yes, Unlimited Blade Works has fantastic animation.

But for as much as Shirou sucks, he's equally boring in UBW and bears less character resemblance to Archer or Kiritsugu who were both pieces of shit in their own right.

Fate/stay night also does a much better job of creating an aesthetic and capturing an atmosphere to accompany the Holy Grail War. Not to mention, the series also has an incredible musical score / sound throughout (I'd argue this alone makes it worth watching because the music is truly fantastic).

And it could've been mostly down to production decisions but the relative lack of fighting in Fate/stay night felt much more consistent with the *major* plot point that Shirou was unable to produce sufficient mana. The fights with other Servants and the violence throughout the series just felt more impactful and high stakes even though they were much more poorly animated.

Anyways, just my two cents because it doesn't make much sense to me why UBW is mostly liked and Fate stay/night is mostly panned. Neither are great but Nasu's reluctance to make another Fate route adaption actually makes a lot of sense to me now.

For clarity and because it matters to certain people, I watched Fate/Zero -> UBW -> Heaven's Feel -> Fate stay/night in that order and I'd rank them: 1. Zero, 2. Heaven's Feel, 3. Fate, 4. UBW

The best animated route is Heaven’s Feel in my opinion, but in the visual novel UBW is really something else, for the anime they cut basically all Shirou’s character development, leaving only action moments. But the action moments are entertaining, unlike Fate 2006, which is for the most part unbearable to watch, and an even worse adaptation, mixing elements from all the three routes
Dec 6, 2022 12:00 AM
Dec 2019
I liked unlimited balde works better than fate stay night, when it came to UBW, i had a great watch, F/SN was honestly boring in comparison imo, I haven’t watched fate zero(i don’t think I’m going to watch it), i plan on watching heavens feel later on when i get the chance.
Dec 6, 2022 12:00 AM

Dec 2021
Am I the only one who actually sat down and watched this adaptation and liked it? As one of the anime that got me into anime, I'd say it's a good standalone show.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Dec 6, 2022 12:09 AM
Mar 2021
TheRealRouges said:

The best animated route is Heaven’s Feel in my opinion, but in the visual novel UBW is really something else, for the anime they cut basically all Shirou’s character development, leaving only action moments. But the action moments are entertaining, unlike Fate 2006, which is for the most part unbearable to watch, and an even worse adaptation, mixing elements from all the three routes

I agree that Heaven Feel's is the best anime route of the three and I don't think it's close.

But it actually makes sense to me they cut a lot from the visual novel (I haven't read / played it) for UBW because the dynamic between Archer and Shirou always felt half-baked in the anime. I really liked the concept but it felt poorly executed in the show.
Dec 6, 2022 12:15 AM

Apr 2022
I also don't really get it...

also, while Rin is best girl, I felt like Saber and Shirou had better chemistry. They are both extremely idealistic in their views and I enjoyed their interactions more than Shirou and Rin. (I found it kinda funny to see sexist Shirou get wronged every possible opportunity)
Dec 6, 2022 12:15 AM
Mar 2021
Igreja said:
Am I the only one who actually sat down and watched this adaptation and liked it? As one of the anime that got me into anime, I'd say it's a good standalone show.

There were a lot of things I liked but it definitely has its drawbacks, I think it's fair to say it is just a very uneven adaption.

I find the animation criticism to be a bit unfair though, it's mostly just a product of its time and I personally enjoy the art style and aesthetic of the 1990s / early 2000s a lot.
Dec 6, 2022 12:22 AM

Jun 2016
The three most common complaints I hear are
>looks worse
>introduces stuff from later routes
>the fate route isn't as interesting as the other two
I agree with all three but I don't hate this series. I think it has some advantages over the later adaptations like the music and character designs.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 6, 2022 12:35 AM

Jan 2022
Almost the same reasons you said except, UBW (UFOTable version) fleshes out certain characters (like Rin and Archer) a little more compared to the 2006 DEEN version.

Additionally, it’s an even worse experience the moment UFOTable is done with Kara no Kyoukai to take the place of animating Fate. Regardless, it’s still decent imo.

Dec 6, 2022 12:42 AM

Dec 2021
antifascistas said:
Igreja said:

There were a lot of things I liked but it definitely has its drawbacks, I think it's fair to say it is just a very uneven adaption.

I find the animation criticism to be a bit unfair though, it's mostly just a product of its time and I personally enjoy the art style and aesthetic of the 1990s / early 2000s a lot.
I do as well. While others works like Higurashi (a product of deen's) hadn't the best art, it still delivers the creepy atmosphere quite cleverly. And the art in this fate is decent at best, yet it delivers the necessary aesthetic they need to work with.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Dec 6, 2022 1:22 AM

Mar 2021
the only thing i can remember about the deen ubw is how good the opening was
Dec 6, 2022 2:15 AM
Apr 2021
Graphics,soundtracks,voice acting,skipping the fight scenes etc etc
Dec 6, 2022 5:41 AM
Mar 2022
Even tho UBW is from my favorite anime of all time, Fate/Stay Night was actually an enoyable show; everyone can say anything about '06 FSN but is the only Fate that can top Fate/Zero's already perfect soundtrack.
Dec 6, 2022 6:16 AM

Jan 2021
although its the only way to experience sabers route in anime form, it tries to mix in stuff from other routes and doesnt adapt things well. the soundtrack is amazing, definately the best one out of any fate adaptation.
Read the visual novel nerd
Dec 6, 2022 8:33 AM
Jun 2022
Ofcourse it is, story doesn't fit itself that's the whole reason.
Dec 6, 2022 11:25 AM
Nov 2021
because of the cg dragon
Dec 7, 2022 2:19 AM
Apr 2015
at this point it's just a meme. I rewatched this one way more than UBW which I'm just sick of seeing random scenes of even though I've only fully watched it once.
Dec 7, 2022 5:52 AM
Dec 2021
the dragon that's why
Dec 8, 2022 6:29 PM
Dec 2020
I actually like this version better. I love the shirou x Saber route so that's probably why.
Jan 3, 2023 2:16 AM

Mar 2020
antifascistas said:

Worse animation, the least effort out of any of the anime adaptations to get inside Shirou's head, Shirou and Saber constantly white knighting each other can get really annoying, the least amount of big reveals about the war itself, the worst climax. It's not bad, but it feels kind of like a teaser for the other two routes.

More topics from this board

» Order

Shadow__-Monarch - May 4

23 by Alexioos95 »»
May 7, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 16, 2008

83 by FedeMetal »»
May 5, 6:50 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DaBigD - Oct 3, 2008

137 by FedeMetal »»
May 1, 6:08 PM

» VN fan are annoying as Hell

chevalierkraken - Apr 23

30 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 27, 10:20 AM

» Why do people consider 2006 Fate/Stay Night anime bad?

zckfox - May 13, 2023

45 by chevalierkraken »»
Apr 25, 10:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.