Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 30, 2022 11:19 AM

Nov 2020
Someone reccomanded me this movie, and idk if I should watch the anime before

Aug 30, 2022 11:26 AM
Jan 2021
Tbh that doesn’t make sense. While I think the movie is the best in the series, you won’t know anything that has happened nor who the characters are. You have to watch the series or you won’t think it’s good nor know what is happening.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Aug 30, 2022 11:27 AM

Oct 2013
The movie wont have any emotional payoff if you dont watch the series

Id recommend only watching first and last episode of Endless 8 along with a random third episode from the arc thats in-between before watching the last though when you get to season 2

make sure site you watch on is in chronological order too
Aug 30, 2022 11:37 AM
Feb 2015
you should watch all of the endless eight, please don't let other ppl convince you to skip anime history
edit: also for the love of god don't watch it in chronological order, jfc
Aug 30, 2022 11:44 AM

Nov 2020
Willology said:
you should watch all of the endless eight, please don't let other ppl convince you to skip anime history

In what order I should watch it ?

Aug 30, 2022 11:47 AM
Feb 2015
Tsunamii_ said:
Willology said:

broadcast order. anything else absolutely obliterates the pacing. you'll likely have to look up a guide though because pretty much everywhere has it listed chronologically because that's how its packaged nowadays, but it genuinely just makes the first season way worse.
Aug 30, 2022 12:27 PM
Nov 2021
I watched the movie without the series and had no clue what's going on. After I found that out I didn't feel like watching the series so I just read a summary of the series online somewhere and watched the movie again.
Aug 30, 2022 12:29 PM
Jul 2021
Simple answer: no
Aug 30, 2022 12:33 PM
Feb 2021
Tsunamii_ said:

How should I know?
Aug 30, 2022 12:59 PM
Oct 2020
CBPman9001 said:
Tsunamii_ said:

How should I know?

Bro if you don’t know just don’t answer
Aug 30, 2022 1:04 PM
Dec 2020
Tsunamii_ said:

you need to watch the anime
Aug 30, 2022 1:28 PM
Nov 2021
From a personal experience you shouldn't. I watched the movie first because i didn't know there was a series and tell you what i lost half of my brain cells. For real though i didn't understand anything nothing made sense but at least this whole situation was pretty fun .I would recommend you to watch the series first so that you get more familiar with the characters and after that you can continue with the movie.
Aug 30, 2022 1:52 PM
Feb 2021
SubSoma said:
CBPman9001 said:

How should I know?

I apologize I don’t remember responding to this post. I would answer that it is helpful if you watch the original series first. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya builds heavily off of the plot points and characters established in the first two seasons and is elevated by the experience of watching the Endless Eight arc especially as the arc pertains to the development of Nagato as a character.
Aug 30, 2022 2:06 PM
Oct 2020
CBPman9001 said:
SubSoma said:

I apologize I don’t remember responding to this post. I would answer that it is helpful if you watch the original series first. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya builds heavily off of the plot points and characters established in the first two seasons and is elevated by the experience of watching the Endless Eight arc especially as the arc pertains to the development of Nagato as a character.
I give you complete approval for this fantastic answer 🤝
Aug 30, 2022 2:27 PM
Nov 2020
The movie is the sequel to the series. It’s the fourth book in the light novels so you should watch the series first. Plus if you want to understand Kyon and his character development then watch the series first
Aug 30, 2022 2:28 PM
Feb 2021
SubSoma said:
CBPman9001 said:

Thank you and I apologize for how unconstructive my first post was in this forum. Also is your profile picture Shinobu Oshino?
Aug 30, 2022 2:45 PM
Oct 2020
CBPman9001 said:
SubSoma said:

Thank you and I apologize for how unconstructive my first post was in this forum. Also is your profile picture Shinobu Oshino?
Indeed it is. Are you a monogatari fan?
Aug 30, 2022 2:50 PM

Oct 2013
Tsunamii_ said:
Willology said:
also for the love of god don't watch it in chronological order, jfc
In chronological order

the broadcast order is dumb and one off gimmick that serves no purpose, only real reason people recommend it is because fans worry you wont like the show as much they did if you didn't watch it the way they experienced it, it literally keeps them up at night
Aug 30, 2022 3:18 PM
Jun 2022
i personally liked the movie cause i watched the anime before
I liked the characters and how they where involved with each other so i think i only understand it cause i watched it before
Aug 30, 2022 3:27 PM
Feb 2015
Deknijff said:
Tsunamii_ said:
In chronological order

the broadcast order is dumb and one off gimmick that serves no purpose, only real reason people recommend it is because fans worry you wont like the show as much they did if you didn't watch it the way they experienced it, it literally keeps them up at night

enjoy your finale being nagato sitting in a room alone reading a book for 10 minutes instead of the climax of the show
Aug 30, 2022 3:39 PM
Feb 2021
SubSoma said:
CBPman9001 said:

Yes I am. I watched it during the first half of the year and enjoyed it immensely. I am also looking forward to reading towards the books.
Aug 30, 2022 4:06 PM
Oct 2020
CBPman9001 said:
SubSoma said:

Yes I am. I watched it during the first half of the year and enjoyed it immensely. I am also looking forward to reading towards the books.
Nice it’s my favourite show! Always nice to meet a fellow fan
Aug 30, 2022 5:40 PM

Aug 2020
Simple answer: no
Aug 30, 2022 6:06 PM
Jul 2021
Pls don't, haruhi suzumiya anime isn't really amazing but this movie is so good.
Aug 30, 2022 6:16 PM

Oct 2020
nope, i would never recommend watching this film before the series, you’ll miss some important plot points of the story

Aug 30, 2022 8:35 PM

Mar 2020
No. One of the major plot points deals directly with what happens in the second season, and it’s written with the expectation you’ve seen the show, are already emotionally invested in the characters, and understand what is going on. You’ll missed too much and will be confused more often than not.
Aug 30, 2022 9:07 PM
Jun 2022
wtf? watch anime first. go through endless eight. then watch movie.
Aug 30, 2022 9:36 PM

May 2021
Willology said:

I watched endless eight on 8x speed 😤
If you are from South East Asia, then I request you, when you will start an anime, you search if it is available on Muse Asia and Ani-one Asia, before looking through piracy websites
Aug 30, 2022 10:49 PM
Jan 2019
Absolutely not. If you really want to watch this movie, at least watch season 1 as season 2 is more for fun rather than for context.
Aug 30, 2022 11:00 PM
Aug 2018
you can, but you shouldn't
Aug 30, 2022 11:22 PM
Dec 2019
CONNOR NO NO NO DONT DO THAT
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Aug 30, 2022 11:53 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
Why would you want to watch any sequel first? The entire reason this movie is considered good is because of all the payoff you get after watching the first two seasons. Watching the movie with no context means you don't know any of the characters, you don't understand any of the background, and the plot means nothing to you.
Aug 30, 2022 11:55 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
Yinkie66 said:
Absolutely not. If you really want to watch this movie, at least watch season 1 as season 2 is more for fun rather than for context.

Except for the fact that the movie happens directly becusse of the events of season 2? Just because endless eight is annoying doesn't mean it should be skipped completely
Aug 31, 2022 2:00 AM
Nov 2021
Willology said:

debatable but i understand that
Aug 31, 2022 5:22 AM
Jan 2019
MagicPolly said:
Yinkie66 said:

Except for the fact that the movie happens directly becusse of the events of season 2? Just because endless eight is annoying doesn't mean it should be skipped completely

I didn’t say that. All the important context you need is in season 1. That’s all. Ofc watching the entire series before the movie is better, but season 1 is more important than season 2
Aug 31, 2022 9:48 AM
Dec 2021
Honestly, I don't think you will uderstand a bit without watching the series. But if you do watch it without watching the series i think it will be very confusing.
Aug 31, 2022 9:51 AM
Aug 2011
Tsunamii_ said:

I would say to watch at least a few episodes of the anime just to get an understanding of the characters first. I’d say the first 4-5 episodes should be plenty
Aug 31, 2022 1:28 PM

Oct 2013
Willology said:
Deknijff said:
In chronological order

enjoy your finale being nagato sitting in a room alone reading a book for 10 minutes instead of the climax of the show
I mean those slice of life moments in the show are the best parts as far as Im concerned so I was satisfied when I watched it years ago
Aug 31, 2022 4:05 PM
Apr 2014
Tsunamii_ said:
Willology said:

In chronological order. Seen DVD order as well and I say nope. Chronological order works fine as a natural narrative and doesn't get confusing for an annoying gimmick. Bonus: If you want a higher emotional impact for the movie, do yourself a favor and "torture" yourself with watching all Endless Eight episodes. You will thank me when you're in the last stretches of the movie. Rewatches don't need it, but your first watch definitely needs all of them without question.
Why would you "torture" yourself? Because this movie is a cinematic masterpiece of art and worth every second of that.
Tip: Easier if you binge all of EE at once.
Aug 31, 2022 4:53 PM
Feb 2018
I can't recommend, you won't understand how wrong some stuff is if you don't know how they should be.

Watch the two seasons first to get the full experience.

Chronological order is the one to go.
Aug 31, 2022 10:23 PM

Nov 2020
Thanks for y'all answers, I watched the 2 seasons (in the right order) and the movie yesterday !

Btw I didn't understand why y'all tell me to watch in the right order, in my streaming website, it's clear, the 2 seasons are clearly separated

Sep 1, 2022 6:11 PM
Feb 2021
Tsunamii_ said:
Thanks for y'all answers, I watched the 2 seasons (in the right order) and the movie yesterday !

Btw I didn't understand why y'all tell me to watch in the right order, in my streaming website, it's clear, the 2 seasons are clearly separated

It is most likely because if you watched the seasons on Funimation or DVD the show is in chronological order instead of broadcast order. That is how I experienced it not knowing there was a difference but still enjoyed it. Also did you enjoy the series?
CBPman9001Sep 1, 2022 6:15 PM
Nov 27, 2022 4:39 PM
May 2019
Willology said:
Deknijff said:
In chronological order

Technically the climax of the series is Nagato and Kuon almost kissing during a fireworks show 😁

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your favorite girl?

Shizuna - May 24

22 by Pitto_ »»
Jun 2, 5:19 PM

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.