Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2022 5:17 AM
🇵🇰🇯🇵

Dec 2018
A nice recap with Uta's song.
Aug 29, 2022 11:26 AM
Jan 2021
This will be significantly shorter in comparison to my normal episode reaction/reviews given that most of the episode showcases the past that we’ve already seen as the audience. Don’t get it twisted though. It’s still absolutely badassery and proves that One Piece, the greatest fictional work in existence, will forever stand against time.

Firstly we see Koby and Helmeppo on a navy ship headed to Elegia. Their objective is to find out more about Uta. I wonder if the Navy is aware that Uta is Shanks’ daughter. Given they found out about Ace being the son of none other than Gol D. Roger, I’m sure they must’ve figured that one out. Koby and Helmeppo reflect on Shanks stopping the Paramount War (known as The War of the Best in the English Dub of One Piece).

It was such badassery to be reminded that the Red-Haired Pirates came to Marineford, challenged everyone, and instantly stopped a war because no one was ready to take him on. He even got Dracule “Hawkeye” Mihawk to leave because he wasn’t ready for him. Unfortunately, this is also a reminder of the tragic losses of both Portgas D. Ace, AKA Fire Fist Ace, one of Luffy’s two older brothers and Edward Newgate, AKA Whitebeard, who died at the age of 62 I believe with ZERO scars on his back as he never ran away from a fight.

Helmeppo and Koby talk some more and explain that both Shanks and Luffy are different from the general idea of what a pirate is. Shanks and Luffy are such badasses that they casually traveled the seas and changed what it truly means to be a pirate.

As Luffy said in Episode 400 of One Piece (English Dub), “Being King of the Pirates is about being more free than anyone!”

In case you guys are wondering, I memorized that speech Luffy gave to Usopp about not wanting to know anything about the One Piece. It’s honestly so nostalgic to be reminded of such greatness and badassery. All Luffy wants is to be free. Isn’t that what everyone seeks in life? Not to be constrained by rules and other forces. Well Luffy wants that and NOTHING will stand in his way.

Then we go to the East Blue where Makino and the Windmill Village neighbor are talking at Partys Bar. The mayor is wondering how Shanks is doing, and Makino reassures him that he’s fine. The mayor reminds her of the fact that he is one of the Emperors of the Seas. To be clear, one of the FIVE Emperors of the Sea as Luffy made himself the Fifth Emperor after all. I tend to mention that a lot because it’s so cool and absolute BADASS how Luffy single-handedly changed the system of the Emperors by defeating Charlotte Katakuri, a superhuman with a bounty over a billion berries.

Now we get to the second flashback, the incident involving Luffy becoming a rubber man and confronting some mountain bandits. I won’t explain the story itself as for those who are fans of One Piece, you at least remember the jist of the story. So I’ll be highlighting my favorite moments from this point in the story. Firstly, we start with the mountain bandit coming in to get some booze.

He brags about his 8 million berry bounty, which means absolutely NOTHING when you consider the fact that Luffy’s first bounty was 30 million (and he didn’t kill anyone), and I believe Zoro’s first bounty was 30 million as well after the Straw Hat Pirates left Alabasta. Then the dude has the audacity to break the bottle of booze that Shanks offered him and some plates, causing an inconvenience to Makino as well. Luffy didn’t like this and he decided to leave to take care of the bandits.

It was through this interaction that Luffy found out he ate the Gum Gum Fruit and now he’s a rubber man. It’s Shanks’ fault for leaving such a valuable item of food out there for the taking. The anger in Luffy’s face after the mountain bandits left plus his will to never give up when fighting against them was such intense levels of badassery and courage that I can’t even fully comprehend it no matter how many times I’ve seen it.

Keep in mind that Luffy is only SEVEN YEARS OLD! HE’S JUST BUILT DIFFERENT! No matter how many times he was knocked down Luffy was never giving up. It’s sad the bandits took joy in fighting against a CHILD. Imagine if they had to fight the version of Luffy that defeated Arlong! They’d be SCREWED, not that Luffy wouldn’t have kicked their asses at seven. He didn’t feel like it, so he had the Red-Haired Pirates take care of things.

Finally we get to the defining moment. Luffy is struggling to stay afloat in the sea and the big sea king comes to try to eat him. Since Shanks isn’t having any of it, he comes in, willingly sacrifices his arm, and tells the beast to get lost. Intimidated by the combination of Shanks’ badassery and Conqueror’s Haki, the beast ran with its tail between its leg (figuratively, NOT LITERALLY).

From then on, Luffy decided to become the King of the Pirates! We get back to Makino and the mayor and they remember how Uta and Luffy used to play together and how Uta left Shanks’ ship to become a singer. Lastly we get to see Uta standing on the cliff once again to end off this special.

It was such badassery to see the showcase of Shanks’ badassery and Luffy’s! I’m more excited than ever for the future One Piece episodes!
Sep 5, 2022 8:21 AM

Mar 2015
It's all part of the build-up to One Piece: Red, which I am quite excited to watch!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 11, 2022 4:33 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
What a fun time. Romance down is always a great rewatch man.
Nov 12, 2022 3:03 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Recap.
More publicity for the film with a recap. retouched!!! kekeke

Well, the next week, returns our one piece kekeke
Mar 14, 2023 2:14 AM
Aug 2022
I don't like Shanks, but it is very adhesive.
May 1, 2023 10:49 AM

Mar 2020
Not much to say about this episode
Majorly just recap of all things Shanks (and I havent forgotten a thing about him, nobody has)
Mar 26, 2:01 AM

Aug 2012
Watched this a year ago but never rated it, so decided to re-watch so I can rate it properly. Can't say I'm a fan of this recap. For starters, I've seen Luffy's flashback way too much. Like it's still enjoyable, and was probably the best part of the special, but it's still kinda annoying just how much I've gone through this material. Secondly, I didn't really like the first flashback to Marineford. I understand them not re-animating the sequence obviously, but the couldn't like, trim down on some of the padding? Like did we need to see the close-up shots off all of Shanks' crew when they arrived, they couldn't speed up the pace at all? Thirdly, and this one is entirely a nitpick, but Makino having different hair colour was a bit distracting. I believe this is because they re-used footage from Episode of East Blue, which gave Makino her manga hair colour of black as opposed to her anime green. Again, a nitpick, but I would've preferred consistency. They animated this scene multiple times, could've pulled from Episode of Luffy or coloured Makino with her black hair in the present day sequence, but whatever.

I can't say this is abysmal, the worst thing ever, or anything, because even though this is at least the fourth time they've re-done Luffy's origin (and thus, at least the fifth time I've gone through it counting the manga), I do still enjoy watching it. It was a solid start-point for the series. But I'm not going to go very high either, I'll give it a 4/10.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.