Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 12, 2022 11:03 PM
Jul 2022
Whenever I see discussions about romance anime brought up, seeing Ouran High School Host Club as a part of these discussions never felt right to me.
From what I know, yes, later in the Manga there is actual romantic progression. But in the anime, while there is romance going on, unlike actual Romance anime, it isn't the focus.
And even more, there isn't a single romantic moment between the main characters here. Every one of the more intimate moments are more of bonding than anything, none of them were actually romantic.

For what Romance does actually happen in this show I feel is far more comparable to whatever romance happens in your comedy show. The romance gets special attention sometimes, but is never really the focus like in a true romance. Does anyone else feel the same way?
Aug 12, 2022 11:25 PM
Apr 2021
I mean it’s mostly just a comedy, but it definitely has a bit of romance in there. I’d just call it a rom-com
Aug 12, 2022 11:32 PM
Nov 2020
I have to agree that OHHC is more comedy than romance but saying it is at the same level as other comedy anime but with romantic subplots is undermining it. You can't compare it to something like Sket Dance which only sometimes talks about the romantic drama whereas OHHC stories occasionally develops the character dynamics and their romance. I agree that it is incomparable than actual romantic-centric series but it also isn't just a side story of it.
Aug 12, 2022 11:33 PM
Jul 2022
Bruh_epic said:
I mean it’s mostly just a comedy, but it definitely has a bit of romance in there. I’d just call it a rom-com

Don't most comedies have a bit of romance?

Again, the romance is never the main focus. The setting definitely leads to moments involving romance, but the show's main cast don't partake in any romantic moments. There's far more romance with the side characters than there ever is with the main characters, that's the big reason why I can't find myself calling this a romance anime.
Aug 12, 2022 11:35 PM
Nov 2020
Gonstroph said:
Bruh_epic said:

Again, the romance is never the main focus. The setting definitely leads to moments involving romance, but the show's main cast don't partake in any romantic moments. There's far more romance with the side characters than there ever is with the main characters, that's the big reason why I can't find myself calling this a romance anime.

Not all comedies have romance. Though there are a lot of comedies parodying romance.
Aug 12, 2022 11:39 PM
Jul 2022
Jay_Burson-510 said:
Gonstroph said:

Not all comedies have romance. Though there are a lot of comedies parodying romance.

You know what, calling this show a romance parody I think is far more accurate.

I saw a review of this show awhile back that perfectly described what Haruhi was, she's basically the voice of the audience watching romance anime. Notice how she constantly criticises and pokes fun at tropes, she's basically our voice projected onto the irrational actions of basic romance anime characters, which this show is full of.
GooWapaAug 12, 2022 11:42 PM
Aug 12, 2022 11:39 PM
Sep 2021
well speaking as a manga reader the anime only covers the beginning, the manga is so much better which is why this DESPERATELY needs a season 2

however there's definitely enough romance for it to earn the RomCom tag
Aug 13, 2022 6:56 AM
Jul 2014
what's with this movement recently of people insisting romance in romcom anime doesn't count just because its also a comedy?
Aug 13, 2022 8:20 AM
Aug 2022
There’s definitely a romance aspect, but I feel like the larger idea is bonding and character development, and romance is used to progress these things. Towards the end there is more romance (at least in the manga), but it’s not the main focus throughout the series.
Aug 13, 2022 8:55 AM
Jul 2022
Ciphra-XIII said:
what's with this movement recently of people insisting romance in romcom anime doesn't count just because its also a comedy?

that isn't it, I can say Love is war is easily a romance while this one feels more like a romance parody. Again, there is romance in here but it's never the focus of the show, any intimate moment is more of bonding and friendship.
Aug 13, 2022 10:56 AM
Sep 2021
Gonstroph said:
Ciphra-XIII said:

that isn't it, I can say Love is war is easily a romance while this one feels more like a romance parody. Again, there is romance in here but it's never the focus of the show, any intimate moment is more of bonding and friendship.

what? love is war as less romance than Ouran tf are you on???
Aug 13, 2022 10:59 AM
Jul 2022
MissAnybody10 said:
Gonstroph said:

what? love is war as less romance than Ouran tf are you on???

TF are YOU on, Love is war is far more about the romance, name any romance between the main characters in Ouran in the anime.
Aug 13, 2022 2:11 PM
Oct 2021
Depends on your point of view, but generally speaking, no.

It was a disappointment at first because I expected to see a harem romance, but the 26 episodes didn't seem to budge. Today, after watching and knowing the context that the manga was not finished, I consider it to be a comedy of the highest level. But I wouldn't consider it a romance anime, so don't watch it if you're expecting one.
Aug 13, 2022 2:49 PM

Jan 2021
To me no it’s not really a romance anime
Aug 13, 2022 4:10 PM
May 2021
I second that, the romantic subtext is pretty weak and almost simply wholesome.
Aug 13, 2022 7:02 PM

Dec 2020
comedy plays a huge huge part in this anime but its definitely also a romance. that episode with them visiting haruhi's house? plot + feelings progression. that episode with them visiting haruhi's vacation work place? sooo much feelings being awaken and took in action there lol. the romance moments aren't really the Main main point of the show, but its there. thus counting as romance. and the romance stories of the side characters??? like that tea cup couple and the kids those are also romance
Aug 13, 2022 8:15 PM
Aug 2018
It does have romantic elements throughout the story but I’d mostly consider it a comedy first
Aug 14, 2022 8:59 AM
May 2022
I wouldn’t call it one personally
Aug 14, 2022 5:45 PM
May 2022
I wouldn't call it a romance anime either
Aug 15, 2022 8:09 AM
Sep 2021
I would say what makes it a romance is the implied foreshadowing to the manga storyline down the line, especially at the end.
Aug 16, 2022 10:56 PM
Jan 2022
It’s definitely more of a goofy anime than a romantic one, but like you mentioned it progresses in the manga more. The chapters where the romance happens are less goofy than the ones prior which made it in too the anime the tone shifts more slightly more serious and dramatic than before, talking about tamakies trauma and such. It takes a while for them to start getting Deaper into it and dealing with it. I believe that the series waited to start the romance for tamaki to deal with his trauma so he could feel things properly. Do yeah it’s more of a comedy maybe a romcom in the anime because they couldn’t fit all that in 24 episodes
Aug 20, 2022 7:11 AM
Feb 2022
Definitely leans more in on the side of comedy but the show are has moments where it really focuses in on the romance. I’ve always considered it romantic comedy.
Sep 6, 2022 8:37 AM

Jun 2009
I wish they would just make a re-make of it altogether...

But yeah, the anime did not offer the romance bits enough that we could call it a romance anime I guess. If we call the cookie "comedy", we could call the chocolate chips "romance"
サービスサービス

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkBlue - Mar 16, 2008

204 by Kreikka95 »»
May 21, 10:09 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 17 Discussion

shinigami034 - Nov 16, 2008

44 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 17, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kenkei - Sep 9, 2008

67 by Kreikka95 »»
May 7, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Jun 6, 2008

72 by Kreikka95 »»
May 1, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Jun 1, 2008

65 by Kreikka95 »»
Apr 30, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.