Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 13, 2022 6:48 PM

Jul 2011
So, I've been seeing this a lot when it comes to either Naruto or other animes, but it seems like people think Lee would have been a better MC. Do people think this?

I watched Naruto in the early days before online discussions became a thing, so I didn't pay much attention to this idea. I get why he would be a good MC, but I'm not sure if it would be that interesting.

Thoughts?
Jul 13, 2022 7:09 PM
Jun 2021
I mean, he's a ninja who can't use ninjutsu or genjutsu and is powerless in a world where everyone has powers which is a common trope used for protagonists like deku in BNHA or Asta in Black Clover. The theme is a bit overused but I wouldn't mind it.
Jul 13, 2022 7:23 PM
Mar 2021
Lee would have been better character to have more screentime

but he can't be protagonist as if it will we would never would have seen akatsuki + search of tsunade, most important things will happen off screen
Jul 13, 2022 7:24 PM
Mar 2021
animedude1287 said:
So, I've been seeing this a lot when it comes to either Naruto or other animes, but it seems like people think Lee would have been a better MC. Do people think this?

I watched Naruto in the early days before online discussions became a thing, so I didn't pay much attention to this idea. I get why he would be a good MC, but I'm not sure if it would be that interesting.

Thoughts?

if it would have been Lee's anime then people would have said that naruto should have been the main character

just opposite from what it is now
Jul 13, 2022 7:44 PM
Ejさま
Jan 2017
Would be annoying at first, but we'd get used to it fast. Just like with Asta from Black Clover. I think Lee would make a great main protagonists
Ej사마
Jul 13, 2022 7:56 PM

Apr 2021
That’s an interesting idea man, I think it would be cool if it was way shorter since theres not really as much room in the story if Naruto wasn’t the protag
Jul 13, 2022 9:02 PM

Jun 2015
animedude1287 said:

Thoughts?

I think people believe this bc he has an underdog story. Naruto, who develops into his own and is an underdog but just in a different way (he has the nine tailed fox inside him and therefore has an inherent edge and basically destined for greatness but struggles with being unloved and still has to train hard to get to a certain level), Lee enters the story coming off immensely talented but is soon revealed he trains leagues harder than any other Genin we’ve seen up to that point and arguably for the entirety of the manga/anime but goes through his own struggles and difficulties in catching up with contemporaries (Neji, Dosu, Gaara) and further hurdles with his injuries.

However, with that said, Naruto would be the better MC. Are people suggesting he would have been a better MC because he’s a great underdog in the initial Naruto run? Lee’s character was essentially written toward a dead end for being unable to use ninjitsu (which to my knowledge isn’t really explained why that is or how that works) and really just not evolving as a character (he looks the exact same from Naruto to Shippuden). Naruto, the series, would become more and more reliant on jutsus and main story battles essentially consisted mostly on big power level-esque moves. He was essentially a glorified background character once Shippuden started. He’s my favorite character but even then I don’t think he would have made for a better character.
Jul 14, 2022 3:00 AM

Apr 2022
lee is a top 5 character in the show and naruto ain't even a top 5 character in his own show for me, however i still think a character who can only use taijutsu would not be as great.
Jul 14, 2022 5:52 AM
Sep 2021
animedude1287 said:

Thoughts?

They think that because Lee IS really a underdog, opposite from Naruto.

Yeah Naruto also had to train to become stronger but he has (or had) Kuramas powers, is a reincarnation of a god, has Hashirama cells, etc. etc.

So at the end he doesn't really had to do anything to become powerful and the author did make him the complete opposite of an underdog + basically to Jesus. (lmao 😂😭, I'm not hating 🥺😅)

Lee on the other side only can use Taijutsu and isn't talented in anything else.

He had to train harder than anyone else to establish himself in the Ninja (or "Ninja") World.

But later he sadly became nothing more than a background character.

Edit:

And if it would be a good idea??.. 🤔

I don't know..maybe, maybe not.

But I do believe that if Lee would be the Main Character than Kishimoto would have wrote him a bit different to make him a more likeable MC to everyone.

And ofc, I know he's popular but I think that Kishimoto have wrote him more mass appealing if he were the MC.
Loaf_dontcareJul 14, 2022 6:00 AM
Jul 14, 2022 11:57 AM

Apr 2018
There is some Naruto special series focusing on Rock Lee as MC and has around 40eps I think, so go ahead and enjoy☺️
“You are not alone, Ash. I am with you. My soul is with you.” - Eiji Okumura.
Jul 14, 2022 2:29 PM
May 2022
kalosx10 said:
I mean, he's a ninja who can't use ninjutsu or genjutsu and is powerless in a world where everyone has powers which is a common trope used for protagonists like deku in BNHA or Asta in Black Clover. The theme is a bit overused but I wouldn't mind it.

Yeah but Naruto was before MHA and Black Clover, so it wouldn’t have been that overdone back then. I think it would’ve been really interesting in Naruto. Instead being given the strongest power or an item that counters all the magic, Lee literally just trained until he was one of the best, so I think it would’ve been more interesting than these modern ones.
Jul 14, 2022 3:00 PM
Oct 2020
He's the only character who consistently fits in line with the themes. I've never been of that opinion but I can certainly see where it comes from.
Jul 14, 2022 7:47 PM
Apr 2022
if you wanna see Rock Lee as MC watch Rock Lee and his ninja pals
Jul 15, 2022 8:42 AM
Oct 2020
yes people say that but i didn’t see a reason he would be a good mc
Jul 15, 2022 9:45 AM
Aug 2021
i suppose its going to be a mess
Jul 16, 2022 6:01 AM
Dec 2021
Khushal_v said:
Lee would have been better character to have more screentime

but he can't be protagonist as if it will we would never would have seen akatsuki + search of tsunade, most important things will happen off screen

Obviously, if Lee was MC the plot would not be the same. There would would be new characters and stories. Lee would get more powerful that originally, slowly reaching naruto's level of power.
BigAChonkJul 16, 2022 6:05 AM
Jul 18, 2022 3:39 AM
Jun 2021
then it would be only training montages
Jul 20, 2022 4:31 PM

Aug 2019
Well he's a much more interesting character than Naruto, I'll give him that. His battles were generally kinda boring to me though so as a fighter I would've found him to be a predictable protagonist. But again he was a pretty cool guy so I definitely would've preferred him over Naruto anyways.
Jul 20, 2022 11:42 PM
Dec 2021
nahh i like naruto and he fits there perfectly:D
Jul 21, 2022 7:03 PM
Jun 2021
Lee is my favorite character but I don’t think he would make a good MC, he’s a the perfect mix between a good comic relief and important side character. They tried with Rock Lee and his ninja pals and it just didn’t go over that well

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto Episode 153 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 21, 2009

11 by ad0rablegoat »»
May 21, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 151 Discussion

kalindiana - Oct 15, 2007

23 by ad0rablegoat »»
May 19, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 6 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Jul 17, 2009

32 by rizzlefps »»
May 17, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 220 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Alicia3000 - Aug 31, 2009

125 by alexa0717 »»
May 7, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 68 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 3, 2009

32 by Losho »»
May 2, 8:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.