Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

how much was changed from the light novels? is it worth keep watching or switch to the light novels.

New
Jul 11, 2022 3:37 AM
Oct 2015
I heard of lot of bad things about this anime, not that i felt it was really bad,
but that they changed MAJOR plot points and completely switched character personalities and roles, which strongly impacted this series as a whole in terms of its outlook,

I haven't read the light novel yet, but from what I heard, the story is supposed to be more like durarara or baccano with a huge cast of characters with ayanokyouji in its centre(like celty from durarara and firo from baccano)
however I also heard that Horikita Suzune was made into the "heroine" despite only being a side character in the book?
is this true? is she only one of the focused characters and a lot of the roles are switched?

do you think the light novel makes a big enough difference for me to switch to that? because im finished this season and don't know if its worth it watching the next seasons if this is so different.
Jul 11, 2022 3:52 AM

Nov 2021
Season 2 is still fine, it hasn't changed as much as some people claim it to be, but still I'm gonna say, that LN is definitely better. Read it and then watch the anime, you definitely would love it and understand it more. (Characters, exam rules etc.)
itsrj20Jul 11, 2022 4:03 AM

(Desktop mode) ⬇️

Watching this season

My Anime list

Comment
Jul 11, 2022 3:55 AM
Jun 2021
Neostorm-X said:
I heard of lot of bad things about this anime, not that i felt it was really bad,
but that they changed MAJOR plot points and completely switched character personalities and roles, which strongly impacted this series as a whole in terms of its outlook,

I haven't read the light novel yet, but from what I heard, the story is supposed to be more like durarara or baccano with a huge cast of characters with ayanokyouji in its centre(like celty from durarara and firo from baccano)
however I also heard that Horikita Suzune was made into the "heroine" despite only being a side character in the book?
is this true? is she only one of the focused characters and a lot of the roles are switched?

do you think the light novel makes a big enough difference for me to switch to that? because im finished this season and don't know if its worth it watching the next seasons if this is so different.

I've been wondering this for a while too.
Jul 11, 2022 3:57 AM
Mar 2022
First 3 volumes can be considered as prologue more or less .
Aside from the island exam there was nothing of significance.
Stop reading into LN snobs. They would like to have 1 season for each volume
Jul 11, 2022 4:18 AM
Jun 2021
RandomTry said:

cus it is supposed to be like that not 3 ep for a volume that you need to read 5+ hours to finish it
Jul 11, 2022 4:21 AM
Jul 2021
The anime didnt do a bad job at adapting the first 3 vol, especially since it was promotional and was only meant to increase LN sales. Though it did change some thinga which might change the plot a bit (for example, in the LN each class has 40 students, meanwhile in the anime each class only has 25) If you just want to know the main plot of the story, just watching the anime is fine. But if you want more details (for example pov of other characters and foreshadowing) read the LN.
DinoTimmyJul 11, 2022 4:24 AM
Jul 11, 2022 4:31 AM
Nov 2020
Not a big enough difference to matter at the moment.
The anime can’t copy the LN scene for scene just like with any adaptation so there are always going to be some things missed.

Even though the class size is bigger in the LN you don’t really know any of the other characters. It will have a slight bearing on test results, groups, etc but I think they should be able to mostly get around it.

Ayanakoji doesn’t interact with many other characters in the first books, you will see that change going forward.
Jul 11, 2022 4:55 AM
Mar 2022
first off, season 2 ep 1 is pretty much fine if u ask me. some say that they rushed it but you can't expect them to give you 6 eps on same volume. And in the novel suzune becomes side character for a volume or two i guess but she is still centre of attention in later volumes( not the heroine ).

So Imo you should read the ln first to understand anime better (and ofcrs ayanokouji is 100× more badass in ln).
Jul 11, 2022 5:14 AM

May 2021
Neostorm-X said:

I recommend reading the light novel, since you can catch a glipse of many other side stories about characters that ayanokouji doesn't usually interact with.
About the changes in the anime. There have been some scenes switched, which are kinda important. Relationship changes basically. And about horikita, it's true. She got a little too much attention. But worry not, she'll lose the spotlight soon enough. (perhaps in the next episode?)
About the second season changes, there are quite a bit changes. Some small, some big. Like the special exam changes. They changed the way the groups are made, I'm not sure how it will affect the results and everything, but i think the core of the vol. won't change.

The changes are not that big, if you are interested in the story and don't feel like waiting years for new season i recommend you start reading the light novel. Yesterday i finished vol 9 and really enjoyed it.
That's my opinion on this post. Have a nice day!
Jul 11, 2022 5:46 AM
Jan 2021
I think the main issue with the first season is the reduced focus on side characters. When I watched the anime years ago, I didn’t even know the name of the characters outside of the Chabashira, Horikita, and Ayanakouji. The novels establish the side characters’ dispositions, relationships and lifestyles quite a bit more than the anime. This is more so due to the medium, however. An anime adaptation of a novel will always omit details. In short, yes, the novels are very much so worth reading. I started from the beginning (which I recommend), but if you do not wish to do so, just start from Vol.4, which the first episode of the anime has begun covering.
Jul 11, 2022 6:05 AM
Jan 2022
zineex said:
RandomTry said:

cus it is supposed to be like that not 3 ep for a volume that you need to read 5+ hours to finish it

bruh I can read through a volume in like an hour or 1.5.
Jul 11, 2022 7:28 AM
Apr 2022
itsrj20 said:
Season 2 is still fine, it hasn't changed as much as some people claim it to be, but still I'm gonna say, that LN is definitely better. Read it and then watch the anime, you definitely would love it and understand it more. (Characters, exam rules etc.)
can i ask you where can i read the light novel
Jul 11, 2022 7:37 AM

Nov 2021
4mirhrth said:
itsrj20 said:
can i ask you where can i read the light novel

You can read it on novel sites (need to search a little bit) or else pm me.

(Desktop mode) ⬇️

Watching this season

My Anime list

Comment
Jul 11, 2022 8:21 AM

Jan 2021
the anime is mediocre. Definitely switch to the LNs and find out why they are among the highest rated printed media on MAL
I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT
Jul 11, 2022 9:01 AM
Jan 2021
RandomTry said:

bro? they adapted it horribly and in the pool scene they put horikita instead of kei.
Jul 11, 2022 9:20 AM
Jun 2021
no actually there nothing MAJOR changes just a bunch of minor stuff. though if you like the concept of the story even a bit you should read the novels. they are really good
Jul 11, 2022 9:37 AM
May 2020
Pls read the ln no matter how well they adapt it it will never replace the original the anime will skip a lot of character interactions and thoughts in order to save time as well as it not being suited to the medium so it may not fully explore ayanokojis or anyone else’s character to the full extent. They’ve already changed the amount of students per class and the order of things that take place as well as things as hirata and ayanokoji actually having lunch together in the start of episode 1 because hirata wants to get closer to horikita to form a leadership pair between them and things like that. Still watch the anime as well tho it’s interesting to see what the anime changes or leaves out and it’s best to look at it as 2 different series
Jul 11, 2022 3:32 PM
Oct 2015
itsrj20 said:

i see, so i can rest assured
Jul 11, 2022 6:27 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
zineex said:
RandomTry said:

Those the first volume of crote really take hours to read?😶
Like is it particularly longer then any other average light novel volume length or is it just dense and therefore needs more time?
Jul 12, 2022 3:39 AM
Jun 2021
momentie said:
zineex said:

Like is it particularly longer then any other average light novel volume length or is it just dense and therefore needs more time?
yeah it has like chapters and then like 3.1 3.2 sometimes even to 3.10 maybe u can finish it faster but deff at least 3-4 hours per volume
Jul 12, 2022 3:49 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
zineex said:
momentie said:

yeah it has like chapters and then like 3.1 3.2 sometimes even to 3.10 maybe u can finish it faster but deff at least 3-4 hours per volume

Huh I see, sounds cool
Jul 13, 2022 5:22 AM
Jun 2022
Honestly, the anime is better. The manga was kinda boring. Making the main character intellegent but heartless makes the character interesting and sets him apart from other anime characters.
Jul 13, 2022 9:07 AM
Aug 2020
RandomTry said:

I usually agree with the take light novel snobs but in this case i think the light novel is just objectively better than the anime and you would agree if you read it, its super good
Jul 13, 2022 1:23 PM
Aug 2015
RandomTry said:
you've been saying this in other discussions as well. As this point, you are just being biased, forcing your opinions on others. Best ignore what this guy says. For those who truly care about the changes and details in the plot, best to read the LN first. I experienced the struggle of watching then reading afterwards. It is hard to read if you already know the plot, but for the sake of additional details, I pushed on. If you are just a casual fan, watch the anime or ln at your own choice
Jul 13, 2022 3:23 PM
Mar 2018
I’ve only read the first 2 volumes, but comparing it to the anime, they skip over a lot of things in the anime and make a few changes to scenes. The light novel helps you get to know the characters more and about little changes in their personality. (So far from what I’ve read)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vicexxv - Jul 1, 2017

344 by Laachii »»
Jun 9, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2017

529 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 9, 5:51 AM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2017

236 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 9, 3:16 AM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2017

336 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 9, 2:19 AM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2017

292 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 9, 1:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.