Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2022 8:30 PM

Jul 2012
I watched the movie in theaters. I really, really enjoyed it. Take this with a grain of salt because I've been very emotional lately, but I cried a few times watching it and I teared up so many times I lost count. The music was just outstanding and I could really tell Hayashi Yuki put his heart and soul into this movie. (Fun fact: He used to be a rhythmic gymnast himself and is what made him become an anime composer.) The visuals were so, so beautiful, and there were many times I was in awe of the art. It was touching and I loved it. I'm going to watch it again sometime soon before it stops being played in theaters. The voice-acting was, as usual, fantastic. It was a sweet story and I don't think there'll be another season for this anime. I think it was a good idea to end it with a movie. If they make another season, I'd be up for it though!

I'd also like to share here a tweet that Hayashi Yuki tweeted regarding him watching the movie with his son that made me cry (again). (I don't know if links are ok to be put in forums, so if you want the original tweet just PM me and I'll send it to you.)

"If you noticed an old man crying throughout the entire movie in the theater, that was me.

During the movie, my son looked at me from time to time, wondering why I cried at certain parts.

On the way home, I said to him, "Your daddy used to love this sport. And I cried so much because I realized, once again, that I still love rhythmic gymnastics, and that there's still so much left for me to do." He fell asleep shortly after that."

And I also bought the pamphlet for the movie and there was a part for staff to write messages/comments in and of course, Hayashi Yuki had one. His blurb was quite long, so here is the part that made me tear up on the train ride home reading it. He said, "If I had not gotten into rhythmic gymnastics, I would have never become the anime composer I am today and my music would have never been born into this world."

His Twitter is @hayayu1231 by the way!
Jul 12, 2022 3:09 PM

Feb 2011
Ah, have you seen the movie? Lucky you are... Still waiting for the release, I'm so curious about it. I love the series, it became my #3 sports anime after Haikyuu!! and Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru, and I can't wait for the movie.
Jul 12, 2022 8:14 PM

Jul 2012
supermario4ever said:
Ah, have you seen the movie? Lucky you are... Still waiting for the release, I'm so curious about it. I love the series, it became my #3 sports anime after Haikyuu!! and Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru, and I can't wait for the movie.

Haha yeah, I live in Japan that's why I was able to see it already. You'll def like it then! Haikyuu and Kaze are also some of my top fav sports anime too! I didn't expect to love Bakuten so much when I watched it last year. :)
Jul 13, 2022 12:51 AM

Feb 2011
Well, me neither. I just started to watch, as one sports anime from the others, but it easily became one of my favorite sports anime. Or anime from all the times. Well, it seems we need to wait from outside of Japan, when it will be available at Crunchyroll or somehow...
Jul 17, 2022 6:30 AM
Jan 2019
Does someone know when will it be available as a blu ray?
Jul 17, 2022 8:09 AM

Jul 2012
Romaysa said:

Bruh the movie just started airing in theaters barely 2 weeks ago. It'll be a while until something like that is announced.
Jul 17, 2022 9:09 AM
Jan 2019
kayune_ said:
Romaysa said:

Bruh the movie just started airing in theaters barely 2 weeks ago. It'll be a while until something like that is announced.

Just asking how long it takes based on someone's experiences dude
Jul 17, 2022 10:26 AM

Jul 2012
Romaysa said:
kayune_ said:

Just asking how long it takes based on someone's experiences dude

At the very least a few to several months.
Aug 30, 2022 12:13 PM
Jul 2021
admire, with all my soul.
Jan 25, 2023 11:23 AM

Feb 2011
The Blu-ray and DVD have just released. I can't wait to get my own copy!
Jan 26, 2023 9:22 AM

Feb 2011
Finally I could watch this movie. It was really beautiful, I even moved to tears at the end!
Mar 16, 2023 1:23 PM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 13, 2023 10:47 PM

Feb 2019
it was bittersweet, but the relationships between the characters - as well as the feelings each person felt dealing with the impending separation from one another - was shown from different perspectives, which was nice. in the end watari manned up indeed and lived up to his new role as captain :D
May 17, 2023 2:42 AM
Sep 2015
I probably already said this dozen times, but this need season 2. When I watch this kind of anime where all characters are living to their fullest potential in their highschool life, I realized my highschool life is full of wasteful opportunity.

Performance only, I prefer the rival team, Shiro Highschool, they've very strong movement (especially the captain), and their choreograph is very "sensual".

Now regarding the composer Yuki Hayashi, I think it's not just a coincident that he was selected to create the music for Bakuten, I would go as far as saying that Bakuten is a tribute to his highschool life, in the anime it was mentioned many times that there's no future for men rhythmic gymnastic, and I feel like this was the reason that he become a composer after graduate since there's no professional career path for this sport. And Bakuten is a chance for him to give a contribute to the sport he love while also earning a money. And while he already create many masterpiece soundtracks like My Hero Academia, The Adventure of Dai, etc. I think Bakuten soundtrack is the only work that defined him.
May 21, 2023 3:07 AM
Sep 2009
Even if only in the credits they saw the wife at last XD 
Jun 25, 2023 7:01 PM

May 2015
Beautiful movie, great direction and storywise, a nice chapter for these characters. I think there was a blend of 3d and 2d animation during performances, and it was done seamlessly. Nice work with the camera and overall it looked really good. The light effects aided nicely visually too.

Since I watched 1 season a while back as it aired, I almost forgot everything before watching this movie, but it did well to remind us about what happened before without outright recapping, just in subtle details about who these characters are, what motivates them, etc.

I wouldn't mind watching the continuation, with new teammates, new aspirations. Stories like this are truly inspiring!
TenJun 25, 2023 7:04 PM
Jul 11, 2023 12:18 AM
Apr 2023
This movie made me freak. I really loved the story and music and the animation of the final performance. I loved all the characters since I watched the anime but my love for them grew when I watched this movie, especially Watari (great internal character drama) and Onagawa (his Idol smile was so cute!). Also Misato and Tsukiyuki dancing together? Adorable. Futaba running out to thank Shida was so cute and sad that I shed a few tears. Bakuten has really outdone themselves this time and I’m so happy we got the movie. I really tried hard not to cry. Truly one of my fav sports anime.
Aug 7, 2023 1:12 AM
Nov 2020
Simply beautiful ❤️
Don't know how many times I cried during the movie 😭😭
They have come a long way..No experience is meaningless 🥺❤️❤️
Rhythmic gymnastics is a beautiful sport 💖💖
I'm so happy we got a wonderful conclusion to BAKUTEN!
Aug 27, 2023 12:22 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Watching this made me remember how much I loved the series. I like the direction of the movie in that it wasn't actually about the inter-high competition, but about dreams and the future. I cried several times throughout the movie, especially the first performance at the end, all the stage lights and the background screen was so creative. We've seen this routine many times, but they were still able to make it refreshing that one last time. It was beautiful visually and emotionally, if that makes any sense. I was very happy to see them perform the way the wanted to, and all the members smiling. Mashiro was right, this was the Ao High that was fun to watch! The encore performance with both schools was unexpected, but it was amazing! The sweat wristbands which lit up during the dark part of the performance was so cool. Again, everyone looked like they were having so much fun! Loved the part with Misato and Mashiro, they looked like two birds playing and dancing!

Bakuten!! had felt inspiring to me, but even more so in the movie. And the feeling of "youth" definitely came across here as well, whereas I didn't feel as much of it in the series. Japan loves equating blue with the theme of youth, and the connection finally came to me while watching the movie. No wonder they had "蒼" in the school name, and even abbreviated it as Ao High in speech. I thought they just used a ton of blue because of the soaring/bird theme Really also liked how everyone understood in the end that they may be going to difference places, but they will always be a team. And that dreams continue on no matter what.

"The fire that you lit doesn't go away just because you're far away. It's still burning, even now. Inside my heart." What Mashiro said was really powerful.

Lastly, I have to gush about the animation. I highly appreciate Kuroyanagi Toshimasa's vision, how he cares a lot about character acting and also how he occasionally utilizes the medium to immerse the audience in a certain feeling. I hope to see him directing another anime soon!

Not me rewatching the last two performances and crying again I'd be down for a sequel since I love these wholesome characters as well as the light humor, but I think it ended at a really good place ^^

Forgot to mention that group photo at the end! Was incredibly surprised to see what looks like Robico's actual art? Misato being shy about asking for the photo was super cute, too, haha.

kayune_ said:

I'd also like to share here a tweet that Hayashi Yuki tweeted regarding him watching the movie with his son that made me cry (again). (I don't know if links are ok to be put in forums, so if you want the original tweet just PM me and I'll send it to you.)

"If you noticed an old man crying throughout the entire movie in the theater, that was me.

During the movie, my son looked at me from time to time, wondering why I cried at certain parts.

On the way home, I said to him, "Your daddy used to love this sport. And I cried so much because I realized, once again, that I still love rhythmic gymnastics, and that there's still so much left for me to do." He fell asleep shortly after that."

And I also bought the pamphlet for the movie and there was a part for staff to write messages/comments in and of course, Hayashi Yuki had one. His blurb was quite long, so here is the part that made me tear up on the train ride home reading it. He said, "If I had not gotten into rhythmic gymnastics, I would have never become the anime composer I am today and my music would have never been born into this world."

Thanks for sharing! I didn't know that about Hayashi Yuuki, I love his compositions, and Bakuten!!'s OST is definitely at the top of my favorites among his soundtracks! That's really touching to hear, and I'm glad he was able to work on Bakuten!!, it must've been fate!
Sep 3, 2023 12:23 PM
Jan 2019
Reply to Romaysa
@Romaysa
coming back to this after a year is crazy. this was too emotional for me, it was beautifully done but i still can not get over how Watari messed up there. I had the feeling they would lose but not like that...Really heartbreaking. But the final performance was amazing
i wish we could have seen the new members too :)
been more than two years but I still remember how I enjoyed this anime <3
Sep 24, 2023 9:18 AM

May 2020
Damn, that was a beautiful movie. I'll be honest, Bakuten was the last anime I watched before I went on an anime hiatus for like a year, so my memory of what happened during the show was pretty limited. Even with that, I still enjoyed the hell out of this movie.

The animation was definitely the standout for me. The routines were so smooth and the CGI was very well done, so much so I had difficulty telling if it was actually CGI in some parts. The standout performance had to be Shiro High School's practise performance. The animators didn't have to go so hard on that one but they did, probably to show how good that team actually was. In comparison, I did feel like the final performance was a bit of a letdown, especially since it didn't really have a lot of great animated movements but still this is just a minor nitpick. The background music seemed like more of them same from the series, which I liked a lot.

The characters were also pretty enjoyable to watch this time. I felt like they were a bit boring last time but I don't know, I felt like there was some great development for the main cast this time, especially Watari.

All in all, it was an enjoyable movies with a great ending. I also enjoyed watching the end credits, with all of the still pictures (the last one with the coach's wife was great).
Nov 5, 2023 3:42 PM
Jul 2015
Bakuten which means Backflip i just download the movie dont have time for series yet thought it was sports footballs

End up it was male gymnastics which way more better

Theyre so sexy and beautiful way more harder compare to singer dancer they need those balance flexible body

Now mood want to marathon irl sports Gymnastics 🤩😍

Swimming, Ice skating
Apr 30, 8:51 PM
Feb 2022
Was okay I guess. Just very late

More topics from this board

» Official Subs on Crunchyroll

demision - May 18, 2023

2 by swiftlicious »»
May 28, 2023 8:08 PM

» Bakuten movie new key visual and trailer. Premiering July 2022

AngeloMC21 - Jan 22, 2022

5 by AngeloMC21 »»
Jul 2, 2022 3:40 AM

» Hype!

SideCharacterKal - Jun 24, 2021

22 by tsubasalover »»
Oct 8, 2021 11:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.