Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Ok, I'm changing my analysis, this isn't LIKE a darker version of Maburaho, this IS a darker version of Maburaho.

New
Apr 21, 2010 3:53 AM
Mar 2009
Let's look at the facts, shall we?

1. The girls.
Example A: The sword chick. In both Maburaho and Ichiban, there is a girl who wields a sword, comes from an ancient sword magic school family type thing and over reacts to the slightest thing and then tries to kill the main character, then realises they were wrong and over reacts in that.
Example B: The childhood friend. Sure, in Maburaho they're a lot younger, and in Ichiban it looks like their older, but in both of them, they are red heads (in anime, pink is red head as well, that's my opinion and you won't change that), they both know each other from long ago, and the boy has forgotten them till they remember something about them.
Example C: The big breasted one. Sure, in Maburaho she's blonde, and in this she's got purple hair, but she's got massive boobs, is the inheritor to one of the most powerful corporations in the world (the way they keep going on about it), is using the main guy for their own purposes, has some sort of spirit hanging around them (in Maburaho a ghost who mistakes her for her mother, in Ichiban the head of her older brother) and is generally accepted to be an idol of the school.

2. The guy.
HE'S THE MOST POWERFUL FRIGGIN' WIZARD ON THE PLANET! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT? More? Ok. Let's start by looking at personality. While in Maburaho the guy stays the same (generic pussy harem lead guy but with uber power) through the entire series, his personality is inherently good natured and well intentioned. The same rings true for the main guy in Ichiban, at least for the first two episodes. After this, there seems to be some sort of off screen character development where he all of a sudden seems to say "fuck it, I'll give up on being what I've always wanted and listen to the stupid little crow in a glass box and become the lord of all evil" and starts using his power for evil. Now, if they'd written it better, I'm sure he'd still be at the same spot (generic harem lead guy with uber power). Another difference is that in Ichiban, he looks badass, in Maburaho, he's a pussy. In Ichiban, he's got unlimited power, in Maburaho, he gets to use his ultimate power less than 10 times then he dies.

3. The nurse.
Ok, so in Maburaho it's a guy, and in Ichiban it's a girl, who the hell cares? They're both pseudo main characters, both have a keen interest in the main guy and both seem to know more than they should, despite never actually admitting to it.

So these are the main similarities and differences I can think of right now, other than the fact that Ichiban is dark and bloody whereas Maburaho is a generic wussy harem with magic tacked on, but I'm sure I'll think of more as the series goes on.

Your thoughts?

Apr 22, 2010 11:31 PM
Jul 2009
But Maburaho was never this interesting.
May 7, 2010 8:50 AM
Sep 2009
unlisted said:

quote for truth
May 7, 2010 1:21 PM
Apr 2010
wendelsykes said:
unlisted said:

quote for truth

seconded
May 7, 2010 1:24 PM

Dec 2007
xorshell said:
wendelsykes said:
unlisted said:

quote for truth

seconded

Thirded
May 7, 2010 6:52 PM

Jan 2010
rarri said:
xorshell said:
wendelsykes said:
unlisted said:

quote for truth

seconded

Thirded

Fourth'd

Although I didn't mind the ecchi in that one, either...
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
May 8, 2010 1:16 AM

Jun 2009
unlisted said:
Maburaho

May 8, 2010 6:50 PM
Jun 2008
Is UshiroMao worse than Maburaho??I watch the series before but my brain keep me from remembering the Anime....
( Maburaho almost make me puke just by thinking it )
May 9, 2010 3:22 AM

Sep 2008
you have a Maoh who has enough power to punch a dragon out opposed to magician student who's pretty amazing power amounts to making it snow for a chick for the day(ok so Shikimori wiped out a chimera in one of those eps. but not noteworthy)

plus if your looking at Sai Akuto's harem to Kazuki Shikimori's, I think Sai's harem wins hands down with that money shot in ep.6

so to answer your question to if UshiMao is a darker version of Maburaho, is like comparing chocolate to shit, they may have the same color but I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference
ScryptMay 9, 2010 3:26 AM
May 10, 2010 3:59 AM

Jan 2010
Then again, Maboraho did have that one part with the eel...Although it's still not as great as the sea cucumber.
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
May 10, 2010 11:08 AM

Dec 2007
Let's be honest here:
The only real similarity between the two shows is the very broad premise of a harem show at a magic school. Pretty much everying of note that they share is a direct result of harem and/or the magic/special power school cliches. That's hardly unique to either of the two shows in question, and really doesn't hold up as a reason to call this something as misleading as "a darker Maburaho."
May 10, 2010 9:30 PM

Aug 2009
flame_master_14 said:
rarri said:
xorshell said:
wendelsykes said:
unlisted said:

quote for truth

seconded

Thirded

Fourth'd

Fifth'd

chinlamp said:
Let's look at the facts, shall we?

Sure, I'll look at these "facts!"
chinlamp said:
1. The girls.
-snip-

So you just chose to ignore the android and the witch loli? and Hiroshi. Not to mention I could name five other harem anime that have those character archetypes
chinlamp said:
After this, there seems to be some sort of off screen character development where he all of a sudden seems to say "fuck it, I'll give up on being what I've always wanted and listen to the stupid little crow in a glass box and become the lord of all evil" and starts using his power for evil.

Wow, what the hell show are you watching?
chinlamp said:

Ok, so in Maburaho it's a guy, and in Ichiban it's a girl, who the hell cares? They're both pseudo main characters, both have a keen interest in the main guy and both seem to know more than they should, despite never actually admitting to it.

You're right, no one cares.
chinlamp said:

So these are the main similarities and differences I can think of right now, other than the fact that Ichiban is dark and bloody whereas Maburaho is a generic wussy harem with magic tacked on, but I'm sure I'll think of more as the series goes on.

I'm so appreciative of the fact that you can waste your life on something so utterly pointless. Really, do you honestly think anybody but you gives a crap? And more importantly, what is this thread trying to do? Are we supposed to suddenly say "Oh no, this thread has revealed that these vapid and shallow comparisons are similar to another anime that's actually different from it. I guess we should stop watching now!"

More importantly, wasn't the point of Maburaho for one of the girls to aim for getting the guy's genes? Yup, Ichiban Ushirou is totally copying that plot word-for-word!
garfield15May 10, 2010 9:37 PM
May 11, 2010 2:15 AM
Jun 2008
Actually this thread makes me feel more motivated to watch it ^^
Hater gonna hate
Lover gonna love
( i felt my comment ain't related to the topic..... who knows maybe chinlamp wants us to see a better point of view of Ichiban from Maburaho)
May 14, 2010 12:29 PM

Oct 2008
All of those girls are merely following predefined harem archetypes, as nearly every harem out there does. Seriously, what harem anime does not have a Childhood Friend or a Tsundere?

"Violent Retribution for Accidental Infringement" is so common in anime like this that it is even a category on various anime sorting sites.

It is also common in fiction for the main character to be more powerful than those around them and that goes double if it is fantasy.
Jun 2, 2010 2:24 AM

Jun 2009
You forgot one simple fact:

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou is not dark. At least, by my definition.
Jun 15, 2012 8:30 PM

Nov 2010
Two different anime and seventh'd i did not like maburaho at all, its just a similar setting with a harem
Sep 5, 2012 6:41 PM

Nov 2009
Gorim said:
garfield15 said:
flame_master_14 said:
rarri said:
xorshell said:
wendelsykes said:
unlisted said:

quote for truth

seconded

Thirded

Fourth'd

Fifth'd

Sixth'd

Seventh'd

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ClementIV - Jun 18, 2010

284 by NiGhTmArE_Spirit »»
May 18, 12:27 PM

Poll: » Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ClementIV - Jun 11, 2010

121 by Talamare »»
Nov 11, 2023 6:18 PM

Poll: » Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

garfield15 - Apr 16, 2010

123 by Yubisoft »»
Oct 26, 2023 11:55 AM

Poll: » Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

spineslayer - Apr 23, 2010

77 by Lakshay1 »»
Oct 10, 2023 8:18 AM

Poll: » Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

werrston - Apr 9, 2010

100 by Lakshay1 »»
Oct 10, 2023 8:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.