Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2021 8:27 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ooh, an eye color change since Biwa inherited Shigemori's eye.

The intricacies of marriage in the early days can be a gray area, since especially in this case with Shigemori's passing, it's put the Taira clan in shambles with the opposition secretly on the rise with Emperor Go-Shirakawa. Obviously Lord Kiyomori isn't happy with the internal coup d'etat, and does a reverse to drive those who seized what belongs to the Heike away. How's that for revenge.

With all that, the Heike surrounds the entire kingdom, and it's such a blatant effort to drive off constrictors to have complete control over other lesser servants and princes. Prince Mochihito in that regard, orders the downfall of the Heike, and this is of utmost importance for others also looking to oppress the Heike. Emperor Ankoku is SO desperate to eliminate all opposition forces, that's a given considering the era that this tale is situated in.

I always find it fascinating for the battle to be played out through Biwa's otherly self and singing songs through the Biwa to depict the wars in the Heike's tale.

The Heike are too powerful now, and with forces like the Genji and Enryakuji respectively against and for the Heike, battle is but a second notion. As for Tokuko, she's the unwanted wife to bear children for emperors that don't care too much for their children's wellbeing (other than to mature them into princes), and Biwa only knows it best.
KANLen09Oct 13, 2021 8:52 AM
Oct 13, 2021 8:50 AM

Jun 2019
Great to see Biwa and Shigemori's kids are doing just fine, but it must be quite hard for them. It didn't take a long time for the other party to retaliate as soon as Shigemori died. And, to put such a young child who can't even talk right now on the emperor's throne was just ridiculous but I can see why. I feel really bad for Tokuko. I love Biwa or Bakeneko, she's just too adorable.

Another great episode IMO. They're doing a great job of portraying the political affairs and the storytelling of the events. Shigemori's death was really a huge loss for them. One episode without him and I already miss him.
Oct 13, 2021 9:19 AM

May 2021
Another wonderful episode, shigemori's eye was inherited by Biwa, The wonderful narration of each episode is pretty good.
I feel sad for tokuko, not getting attention by the former emperor. And Biwa as Bakeneko is so cute
Oct 13, 2021 10:09 AM
Mar 2015
Shigemori is missed He kept the Heike in check and abated the hatred of the Genji
Oct 13, 2021 10:15 AM

Jul 2011
So Biwa got the eye color really changed not just in the spiritual way. Interesting.

The composition like japanese traditional art is too good.

Poor horse.

Tokuko cant catch a break. She have a truly strong heart.
Oct 13, 2021 10:22 AM

May 2021
Great episode! Biwa has inherited Shigemori’s now also. “Are you the love child of Shigemori?” Made me laugh quite a bit. They even talked about the yata mirror (couldn’t help but think of Itachi’s susanoo’s yata mirror there lol). Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 13, 2021 11:39 AM

Apr 2021
Biwa is in the sidelines in this episode to such an extent that she was more like a tiny comic relief animal stock character and I started wondering if she's needed in the story.

In the river-crossing scene during the bridge battle, first I was like, "wow, nice animation", then I was laughing so hard at the sudden breakbeat soundtrack that I had to rewatch to follow what was actually going on.
Oct 13, 2021 12:14 PM

May 2021
Someone give tokuko a hug man :^(
As you haven't read the source material you will not get a lot of stuff, but that is not the point of this series, the point is to feel how different people of this age used feel about things that is happening around them. They could have shown actual battles that are occurring in this but chose not to, and just use music to express it. Now ask yourself, why did they chose really dramatic music instead of showing battles? To express emotions felt by people during the battle. Just look at how the show expressed what sukemori's brother(feminine, good at dancing guy) felt during battle through simple animation.

At least thats what my take from the show is.

Oct 13, 2021 1:58 PM

Apr 2018
Biwa inherited Shigemori's eyes which made her eye color change. A lot of people have noticed it already and know her powers.

Lord Kiyomori's reverse attack went brilliant for him and got back what he wanted and what was stolen from the Heike. He even went further after the other person tried to become an ''Emporor'' or was told to become one. That battle was pretty heavy and the soundtrack was absolutely amazing. Probably the best episode so far. The visuals were also outstanding. On the otherside, Tokoku's mood is all down after having little to no time with the Emporor. Well, not for herself. Seems like she has fallen in love with him out of nowhere.

And the guy is getting haunted in his dream. Idk which one of the -mori's it is.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 13, 2021 8:23 PM

Mar 2016
Who is this Kogo when they are talking about the second son of the Emperor ?

Does he have two misstress ?
Poor Tokuko...
imperator69Oct 13, 2021 8:51 PM
Tachikoma saves the day !!!
Oct 13, 2021 11:30 PM

Oct 2016
Now that Shigemori's gone, shit's really gone haywire now. He was the only one more or less who was able to keep all the sides in check. Feel really bad for Koremori and Tokuko right now all because of Kiyomori being power hungry led to all this pain.

It's still pretty hard to follow since I don't have background of the history, but I can more or less follow what's happening, just not super in depth. Great episode!
Oct 14, 2021 8:19 AM
Sep 2019
Felt sad for Tokuko. He is a nice person and doesn't like to fight and go to wars but he has to be in war no matter what because of complications of his family and status. That ending scene hit hard.
Oct 14, 2021 11:20 AM

Feb 2012
This anime has a hard time figuring out what is actually important for the story. The major points of political and military drama are told through expositions and stills, but the human interest piece about Tokuko dealing with the infidelity of her husband gets focus and care. This anime is outstanding when it wants to be, but it focuses on those things on the margin of the story rather than the heart of the story. The unfortunate result is that its not really clear what this anime is even about. We'll see how everything turns out, but I don't think this anime will come together in the end.
Oct 14, 2021 1:05 PM

May 2015
Phaetons_Folly said:
This anime has a hard time figuring out what is actually important for the story. The major points of political and military drama are told through expositions and stills, but the human interest piece about Tokuko dealing with the infidelity of her husband gets focus and care. This anime is outstanding when it wants to be, but it focuses on those things on the margin of the story rather than the heart of the story. The unfortunate result is that its not really clear what this anime is even about. We'll see how everything turns out, but I don't think this anime will come together in the end.

It's the Tale of Heike seen through Biwas eyes, so of course the the human interests are going to have more focus than the politics or actual military drama.
Oct 14, 2021 1:30 PM

Jul 2017
I want to care for this series, but it's such a mess, and I've heard from a couple of people that it's an adaptation issue too structurally. 5 episodes in and it's hard to really put my footing with this series.
Oct 14, 2021 6:15 PM

Jun 2021
Another solid episode.

The story and the artistic direction of this show continues to be great. The two gripes I've had about this series are the fast pacing and the out of place BGM. If they can get those two things fixed, this would be an amazing show.
Oct 14, 2021 9:55 PM

Sep 2019
Good episode, hopefully Biwa eventually gets more screen time though. Also, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be loosely adaptation, not a full true to the source material. :)
Oct 15, 2021 5:21 AM

Aug 2021
Sobbing with grief and despondency while, from her gentle face, the bitter tears of sadness and sorrow continued to fall subtly. Like the imperturbable and cold snow that, reflected in her calm and childish heart, kept on slipping from the peaceful and calm face of that girl who, hidden behind the appearance of a hapless boy, could only turn her eyes away, tolerating the angry and stormy sea of her badly wounded heart...
Swept by the irascible and rushing river of her agonizing destiny, the incompetent crowd of inept soldiers, may have chosen to run until they soon fainted and, in the decline of the Heike clan, to open their way through the tempest of glittering silvers... the cold storm of hurtful arrows that, like the agonizing remembrance of the days she shared with Shigemori, quickly covered that river with the ineffable color of her lamentations.
Oct 15, 2021 5:37 AM
Oct 2019
Damn I missed Shigemori voice already...

Does Biwa aged at all? Slightly maybe.
Even Tokuko son already growing up lol
Oct 15, 2021 9:13 AM
Oct 2013
Alright, even I can tell how efficiently they utilized every frame to get the meanings across. The pacing is just right. Any slower and I will feel like being in a history class. The soundtrack choice is excellent. They kept me awake throughout and reminds me that I am watching an anime, not a documentary. I like that the show put focus on developing the characters close to Biwa while still depicts the historical events in an engaging way. Made me connected with their human emotions, not just mechanically moves the plot along for the sake of it.

I really like the part near the end. Also, it seems like Biwa's father gave her the cold shoulder?

Five episodes in and this show still hasn't lost it's beat. This could be early, but I shouldn't have doubt that this is indeed a masterpiece. The only nitpick I have is that sometimes it's difficult tell the characters apart with the minimalist design, like I couldn't tell at first who was it at the end (probably Sukemori's older brother, forgot his name). Also, it looks like the Heikes are unhappy even though they won, because they razed the temple? Lost me at the context there.
Oct 15, 2021 11:03 PM

May 2015
mzihin said:
Also, it looks like the Heikes are unhappy even though they won, because they razed the temple? Lost me at the context there.

Their warriors had burned down Mii-dera (Onjo-ji) and other tempels in Nara, killed a lot of monks and in the conflagration lot of sacred texts, buddhist statues and other sacred historical artifacts were destroyed. According to buddhist belief because they had commited serious crimes against the buddhist clergy they were almost certainly going to be punished in Dai-jounetsu Jigoku, the Hell of Great Burning for eons. I can't be sure but the thing Taira no Koremori saw in his nightmare was most likely the torturous whirlwind (gofu) that blows against sinners and carries them to hell.
IshitatesoOct 15, 2021 11:22 PM
Oct 16, 2021 2:59 AM
Oct 2013
Ishitateso said:

Their warriors had burned down Mii-dera (Onjo-ji) and other tempels in Nara, killed a lot of monks and in the conflagration lot of sacred texts, buddhist statues and other sacred historical artifacts were destroyed. According to buddhist belief because they had commited serious crimes against the buddhist clergy they were almost certainly going to be punished in Dai-jounetsu Jigoku, the Hell of Great Burning for eons. I can't be sure but the thing Taira no Koremori saw in his nightmare was most likely the torturous whirlwind (gofu) that blows against sinners and carries them to hell.

Thank you for sharing this info. Finding similarities in different cultures are fascinating.
Oct 16, 2021 9:59 AM

Sep 2017
As expected when Shigemori dies eveything goes to shit. He was a great man that a lot of ppl respected and seemed to pretty much be the only reason other important ppl put up with the Heike and specifically Kiyomori. Munemori is a coward who could never standup to his father like Shigemori did. The Heike probably deserve it at this point. I'd just feel bad for Tokuko and Shigemori's children. The little bro Shigehira seems like a deece dude as well.
Oct 16, 2021 7:44 PM

Mar 2012
I didn't understand what was happening at all, gonna have to rewatch this episode again tomorrow.
Oct 17, 2021 8:55 AM

May 2017
that was incredible? god, the amount of wallpaper-worthy shots in this episode were off the charts.

Absolute incredible art direction in this episode.

The way they handled the battle scenes was done quite well. It felt large scale, not a whole lot of motion but a focus on detailed art, which is still an incredibly ambitious thing for an anime. I preferred this approach compared to a large scale battle with bad cg. I mean it's not like it was completely static, there were still some incredibly well animated scenes.

I mean some of the large scale shots were so detailed that they could easily rival some manga panels.

while the story is still rushed, and probably always will be.. it was still written really well. The older brothers of shigemori that got introduced this episode already made in impact, shigehira is cool af.

shayed__Oct 17, 2021 9:26 AM
Oct 23, 2021 4:47 AM
Mar 2012
ah the classic 3 regalia.
There's quite a few 'emperors' by now, and princes who could fight for the role but one died.
Using horse conflict as excuse to fight for emperorship is quite weak, could've added better reasons. Tho Munemori seems a scumbag.
Rice to buy out Enryakuji smart move, but it didn't work.
Nov 7, 2021 9:36 AM

Mar 2010
Shit hit the fan and quick. Damn kinda lowkey feel for that gal. Moreso than that scardy cat lad. haha such innocence should not exist.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 15, 2021 2:52 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Still sad for Tokuko's situation with her husband, but seriously the "action" scenes were beautiful, they used the best OST for this episode
Jan 26, 2022 12:45 PM

Jul 2016
And as expected, once Shigemori is gone, everything goes to shit. Munemori as leader of the Heike is a clown, Kiyomori feels more tyrannical than ever and poor Koremori (best son) is going through quite the emotional breakdown.
Feb 15, 2022 2:46 AM

Jul 2015
Poor Koremori is definitely not fit for the battlefield and also poor Tokuoko with her cheating husband. Now that the wise Shigemori passed away, seems like the downfall is becoming more imminent especially because of those foolish leaders.

May 3, 2022 9:49 AM
Nov 2020
science saru doing an amazing job with animating this, the parts where biwa starts singing to explain a the details of a conflict always have such nice sound and animation.
May 17, 2022 9:04 AM

Apr 2016
Loyalty and the pressure that come with it, Tokuko and Koremori fulfilling their expected role yet feeling emotional drained from it.
Mar 1, 2023 1:12 PM

Aug 2009
Pff, the first half of the episode was once again very hard to follow, but the second half totally makes up for it. So many painful moments for so many characters. This episode really showed the pain and suffering of war so well, and also the characters' fears and trauma dealing with that war and the incoming demise of their family.
Mar 19, 2023 7:03 PM

Dec 2020
Man the dad dying was rough he was such a good character. But inheriting the eye and then making the not aging comment again makes me wonder what biwa is. Besides the eye power we also saw the power of the shrine so there might be a lot of mystical elements. But seeing the war scene was eerie
Sep 13, 2023 4:25 AM
Aug 2022
I don't like that they pass battle scenes in 2 seconds.
Apr 10, 5:07 PM

Mar 2014
I can't comprehend why they used modern and completely unfitting music in this episode. It was a bizzare experience. It pretty much ruined those dramatic scenes for me.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Sep 15, 2021

114 by Ui »»
May 27, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Nov 24, 2021

90 by GlacioD »»
Apr 27, 6:14 AM

» Why have the dates when this series aired been changed from the autumn of 2021 to the winter of 2022?

WatchTillTandava - Nov 16, 2022

5 by Rexnihilo »»
Apr 19, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 27, 2021

26 by L01MK »»
Jan 14, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 10, 2021

40 by Hydre_Ito »»
Dec 28, 2023 5:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.