Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 19, 2021 10:22 AM
Sep 2020
I honestly don't know how to feel sometimes. They provide bombastic visuals that everyone can enjoy, but they also strip everything else down until there's almost nothing left to appreciate. F/Z was a LN adaptation, and a great one at that. I know that they're perfectly capable of making good adaptations, but the VN format is a difficult one to adapt for any studio. I think I've seen a total of 2-3 VN adaptations that were actually solid.

Fate Stay Night as an adaptation is objectively a pretty bad one. Unlimited Blade Works basically took all the depth from the VN and....did nothing with it. Now I'm not going to parade the Vn around like some sort of masterpiece; the VN is still flawed with its bloated story, mediocre pacing, and type-moon level exposition dumps, but I could still feel the passion behind the work. The adaptations are a feast for the eyes, but they feel soulless when delivering the story. There are a lot of things that I could praise when it comes to the adaptations, but these are mostly superficial. The character art, animation, soundtrack, and voice acting are superb. As a VN reader, the adaptations are great in terms of giving us a missing piece of the novel. But the adaptations just don't feel complete on their own. I guess that Monogatari-style delivery would be the only good way of adapting a lot of this.

I know that everyone and their grandma on MAL hates Shirou, but I just have to bring him up. I think he's a good character. I know that seems wild, but I actually think he's a solid protagonist. To be completely honest, if I just watched the adaptations I'd hate him as much as the rest of you do. I try my best to defend his character, but anything negative that people bring up about him is mostly true when it comes to the adaptations. He does just feel like a self-insert gigachad that can do anything because the adaptations are frankly terrible at showing more than that. He does have genuine depth that's mostly delivered through TM exposition, but it's still there. If you dislike Shirou or think that he's bland after reading the VN, more power to you.

This movie just glosses over a lot of things without explanation, and (most) anime only's are left bewildered as to what happened. They just skipped over Shirou's soul being transferred into a puppet. The nine-lives-bladeworks scene was just underwhelming. The pacing as a whole was just eh compared to the perfectly paced second movie. I also dislike the fact that they go off the source material sometimes. During Shirou and Kirei's fight, Shirou was supposed to be defending his head so the spikes don't come out and kill him. In the adaptation, they just punch each other willy-nilly and nothing happens.

Honestly, I can score these adaptations high because it's just an extra visual treat for me. The first movie was paced badly, the second movie was actually perfect, and the third glosses over too much. I'm just worried about future adaptations. I know a lot of people want to see Hollow Ataraxia adapted, but it's already convoluted enough that it would just be an even bigger mess. I guess that the Tsukihime Remake is next in line for an adaptation, and I hope that they can pull it off. Tsukihime does have its fair share of exposition, but the characters can carry themselves well enough without inner monologues.

I guess I'm just really disappointed as a massive TM fan. I hate a lot of the explainable criticisms the adaptations get, and even though I try and defend them, I do see why people would think those things.
Sep 19, 2021 10:38 AM
Oct 2020
AlterSaber269 said:
I honestly don't know how to feel sometimes. They provide bombastic visuals that everyone can enjoy, but they also strip everything else down until there's almost nothing left to appreciate. F/Z was a LN adaptation, and a great one at that. I know that they're perfectly capable of making good adaptations, but the VN format is a difficult one to adapt for any studio. I think I've seen a total of 2-3 VN adaptations that were actually solid.

Fate Stay Night as an adaptation is objectively a pretty bad one. Unlimited Blade Works basically took all the depth from the VN and....did nothing with it. Now I'm not going to parade the Vn around like some sort of masterpiece; the VN is still flawed with its bloated story, mediocre pacing, and type-moon level exposition dumps, but I could still feel the passion behind the work. The adaptations are a feast for the eyes, but they feel soulless when delivering the story. There are a lot of things that I could praise when it comes to the adaptations, but these are mostly superficial. The character art, animation, soundtrack, and voice acting are superb. As a VN reader, the adaptations are great in terms of giving us a missing piece of the novel. But the adaptations just don't feel complete on their own. I guess that Monogatari-style delivery would be the only good way of adapting a lot of this.

I know that everyone and their grandma on MAL hates Shirou, but I just have to bring him up. I think he's a good character. I know that seems wild, but I actually think he's a solid protagonist. To be completely honest, if I just watched the adaptations I'd hate him as much as the rest of you do. I try my best to defend his character, but anything negative that people bring up about him is mostly true when it comes to the adaptations. He does just feel like a self-insert gigachad that can do anything because the adaptations are frankly terrible at showing more than that. He does have genuine depth that's mostly delivered through TM exposition, but it's still there. If you dislike Shirou or think that he's bland after reading the VN, more power to you.

This movie just glosses over a lot of things without explanation, and (most) anime only's are left bewildered as to what happened. They just skipped over Shirou's soul being transferred into a puppet. The nine-lives-bladeworks scene was just underwhelming. The pacing as a whole was just eh compared to the perfectly paced second movie. I also dislike the fact that they go off the source material sometimes. During Shirou and Kirei's fight, Shirou was supposed to be defending his head so the spikes don't come out and kill him. In the adaptation, they just punch each other willy-nilly and nothing happens.

Honestly, I can score these adaptations high because it's just an extra visual treat for me. The first movie was paced badly, the second movie was actually perfect, and the third glosses over too much. I'm just worried about future adaptations. I know a lot of people want to see Hollow Ataraxia adapted, but it's already convoluted enough that it would just be an even bigger mess. I guess that the Tsukihime Remake is next in line for an adaptation, and I hope that they can pull it off. Tsukihime does have its fair share of exposition, but the characters can carry themselves well enough without inner monologues.

I guess I'm just really disappointed as a massive TM fan. I hate a lot of the explainable criticisms the adaptations get, and even though I try and defend them, I do see why people would think those things.

As somebody who has seen every Fate anime adaptation and popular Light Nobel adaptation, Bakemonogatari. I actually think that Hachikuji should have been the protagonist from Fate/Zero and would have been a good narrative foil to Waver Velvet and this would benefit the macropacing of the 4th Holy Grail War.

Shirou is wank, I personally prefer Rynosuke from Fate/Zero who had ideals that I could relate with more than Shirou. His bond with Giles De Rais (who is also in Apocrypha and Grand Order) is better than Mid/Stay Night with Shirou and Saber.

Also, off topic but related, has anyone seen Evangelion 4 I need to know if I should watch it

Sep 19, 2021 10:40 AM

Aug 2020
Fate/Stay Night (2006) is a bad adaptation obviously

Ubw was really good but it also did both Archer and Shirou's character dirty, and those 2 are my favorite F/SN characters and Ubw is my favorite VN route.

HF got a really fantastic adaptation and I was not disappointed at all except for the fight
, I know it's hard to adapt that fight into an anime but they could've done better.

I haven't read the LN for F/Z but I was really satisfied with the adaptation and it has become one of my favorite animes

Ufotable did a pretty good job in adapting the VN, considering that VN are extremely difficult to adapt into an anime but there were parts I was disappointed in but the rest made up for them
Sep 19, 2021 12:01 PM
Sep 2020
TomPalm said:
AlterSaber269 said:

As somebody who has seen every Fate anime adaptation and popular Light Nobel adaptation, Bakemonogatari. I actually think that Hachikuji should have been the protagonist from Fate/Zero and would have been a good narrative foil to Waver Velvet and this would benefit the macropacing of the 4th Holy Grail War.

Shirou is wank, I personally prefer Rynosuke from Fate/Zero who had ideals that I could relate with more than Shirou. His bond with Giles De Rais (who is also in Apocrypha and Grand Order) is better than Mid/Stay Night with Shirou and Saber.

Also, off topic but related, has anyone seen Evangelion 4 I need to know if I should watch it

This was beautiful. Hachikuji as a Fate protagonist is some next-level thinking
Sep 19, 2021 12:02 PM
Oct 2020
MoneyPizza said:
TomPalm said:

evangelion 4 is pretty good. Kinda confusing but the visuals are amazing

Business as usual for Eva then. Thanks for letting me know!
Sep 19, 2021 12:03 PM
Sep 2020
Tyraq said:
Fate/Stay Night (2006) is a bad adaptation obviously

Ubw was really good but it also did both Archer and Shirou's character dirty, and those 2 are my favorite F/SN characters and Ubw is my favorite VN route.

HF got a really fantastic adaptation and I was not disappointed at all except for the fight
, I know it's hard to adapt that fight into an anime but they could've done better.

I haven't read the LN for F/Z but I was really satisfied with the adaptation and it has become one of my favorite animes

Ufotable did a pretty good job in adapting the VN, considering that VN are extremely difficult to adapt into an anime but there were parts I was disappointed in but the rest made up for them

Yeah UBW really did Archer and Shirou dirty. The problem with that is the fact that they're the central focus of that route. If you do them dirty, you do the whole story dirty. I'm mixed on the HF adaptation. The first movie was good aside from pacing, the second was perfect, but the third did end up confusing a lot of people
Sep 19, 2021 12:03 PM
Oct 2020
AlterSaber269 said:
TomPalm said:

This was beautiful. Hachikuji as a Fate protagonist is some next-level thinking

Senjoughara route adaptation when?
Sep 19, 2021 12:20 PM

Jan 2021
I've read the VN, and honestly, I'd consider the anime adaptations to be fanservice. Especially the HF trilogy. I freakin loved those movies but I was honestly surprised to see the high scores. Given the lack of explanations about a shit tonn of really important plot points, I thought it might leave the anime onlies scratching their heads.
Sep 19, 2021 6:20 PM
Dec 2018
AlterSaber269 said:
. Honestly, I can score these adaptations high because it's just an extra visual treat for me. The first movie was paced badly, the second movie was actually perfect, and the third glosses over too much. I'm just worried about future adaptations. I know a lot of people want to see Hollow Ataraxia adapted, but it's already convoluted enough that it would just be an even bigger mess. I guess that the Tsukihime Remake is next in line for an adaptation, and I hope that they can pull it off. Tsukihime does have its fair share of exposition, but the characters can carry themselves well enough without inner monologues.
Agree. Adapt of HF3 is overrated. HF2 is better.

Watch the classics, because there's a reason they become classics
Sep 19, 2021 7:59 PM

Mar 2016
I loved Heaven's Feel so much despite not being quite knowledgeable of the VN's full context myself, but there are times when I felt like a more streamlined narrative helps make for a better experience instead of getting caught up in too much suffocating detail. Different people have their differing standards of importance regarding how something is adapted. Heck, I heard that Stein's Gate 24-episode adaptation glossed over FAR, FAR more in comparison and it still got really high ratings, regardless.
Sep 19, 2021 11:25 PM
Aug 2020
AlterSaber269 said:
I think I've seen a total of 2-3 VN adaptations that were actually solid.
steins;gate, clannad, and what is the other one?
Sep 21, 2021 1:14 AM
Apr 2016
HF deserved a whole season. The VN was filled with epic moments back to back, whereas the anime mostly glossed over them, rushing through the main story to show some flashy fights. Just felt weak overall.
Imo the VN is still the best way to experience the story
Sep 21, 2021 1:25 AM

Jun 2016
I hated Ufotable's anime before I read the VN but now I like them. Yeah I know weird. Of course sitting through 100 hours of another product to increase enjoyment is not a sign of a good series but I think they work best as companion material to the VN. Also, kind of a controversial opinion but I enjoyed the third HF film more than the equivalent section of the VN.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 21, 2021 2:47 AM

Feb 2019
"Adaptation" isn't the right word. I'd go for "Mutilation."

Not only is every single one is utterly unbearable to sit through, but they all cause issues for the franchise as a whole by creating hordes of maniacs using them as primary material. They quite literally dumbed the series down.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Sep 21, 2021 7:48 PM

May 2015
I think UBW TV anime was adapted fairly well. They did depict some scenes involving Shirou very awkwardly(resulting in people not always understanding the character). Really though, UBW was overall the most faithful to any Ufotable anime including Zero. The issue is that there is no good Fate route anime to help supplement it and give it more context.

Zero is next best. It was somewhat faithful to the LN but it had inconsistencies that were big enough of for the creators and relegate it to the role of a spinoff instead of a proper prequel. I also dislike Zero Saber.

HF is my favorite storyline, so I have clear bias towards it. Staying totally neutral though, it is the worst adaptation Ufotable did. It's quality is amazingly high though, so I begrudgingly ignore the issues

Sep 26, 2021 10:13 AM
Jan 2018
Hate them besides Kara no Kyoukai. Fate/Zero wasn't good anyway so they did what they could but both UBW and Heaven's Feel are only marginally better than the Deen adaptations. I don't care for the flashy visuals they pull that much. It looks nice but I'd much prefer it look bad and they get the story and characters right.

UBW butchered Rin, Shirou and Archer's characters beyond repair and pulled far too many liberties with changing the focus to make the fights the primary focus.

Heaven's Feel was butchered. Lost Butterfly is a good movie and the only part of the trilogy that reaches a level of a mediocre adaptation. The fact that they cut Kirei and Illya's characters despite them being as important as Sakura in this route is genuinely disgraceful and the final fight is genuinely one of the worst adapted things I've ever seen. Not even the music was up to par here as Kajiura, besides a few standout tracks that were poorly placed anyway, dropped the ball.

Fate/Zero got a good adaptation but Fate/Zero itself is extremely mediocre to begin with and further butchers Saber's character pretty much beyond repair. Had Fate been based on manga rather than a VN these adaptations would likely get shunned as much as Tokyo Ghoul's did.
AnimaniaigSep 26, 2021 10:22 AM
Oct 6, 2021 12:23 PM

Mar 2020
They're pretty good on the whole, usually suffering to some degree with issues out of their control (Like Heaven's Feel being a movie trilogy meaning that some stuff was abandoned for the run time and some stuff was shoved in the third one because they wouldn't get resolution 1 and 2). One issue I have had with them is how they struggle to show Shirou's inner monologue in the Fate stuff (although this really improved in Heaven's Feel through the use of dream sequences and narration).

Oct 7, 2021 3:15 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
The adaptations are fine as it is (coming from someone who read the VN). VN readers who go on and on about how they did a bad job don't realize how good they have it compared to fans of other visual novels when it comes to anime adaptations (See: the Muv Luv adaptation that's currently airing). And telling people to read the VN is a pointless endeavour since they won't even listen and most people are allergic to reading VNs.
LeonhartAugustOct 7, 2021 3:19 PM
Oct 14, 2021 10:38 AM

Dec 2015
Ufotable has become too popular in the last decade and so has Fate. So Ufotable knows that by now whatever it does is going to make a lot of money. So just making a well animated product is enough to get money out of the anime-Only pocket.

They practically no longer care about making good adaptations, only making easy money. They are not the studio they were when they made the kara no Kyoukai movies. At that time if they cared about providing a good adaptation to the fans.

You could forgive fitting failures and so on in low budget studios or other problems. But please .... Ufotable doesn't have any of those problems. They could do the best Fate adaptations if they wanted to, but they don't because by now they have so much fame and money that they know that with little effort they can still earn a lot.

The worst thing is that his way of treating the saga is influenced by other studios, you just have to see what happened with the Camelot movie, the last seasons of Fate Kaleid (and the movie in part), the Apocrypha anime, etc. .
Oct 14, 2021 10:52 AM

Mar 2015
They managed to make Takeuchi's designs look good, that's already a big plus.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - III. Spring Song Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Stray - Aug 15, 2020

519 by SanessyAdversary »»
May 23, 1:26 AM

» Do this whole movie happens in alternate timeline ? anyone could do explain breifly

Mugiwarayaa___ - Mar 28

9 by Mugiwarayaa___ »»
Mar 31, 11:11 AM

» I liked all of it but didn't understand the ending

Beauty123 - Apr 8, 2021

14 by Mugiwarayaa___ »»
Mar 29, 4:46 AM

» Do you hate Sakura?

Stacias - Jul 20, 2022

46 by LANARp-0470 »»
Mar 16, 5:42 AM

Poll: » How do you feel about sakura? ( 1 2 )

Clar_00 - Mar 4, 2022

59 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 14, 8:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.