Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 6, 2021 10:22 AM
Jul 2021
While SAO is a very perfect anime stater-pack for newbies, I've seen many guys who hated this show, especially anitubers(The anime man and others), who are always trying to compare SAO to other seinen shows. Are there some sorts of elite anime watchers?
Sep 6, 2021 10:31 AM
Jun 2021
I personally just hate fairy tail arc, anime and ln is a filler arc that they just did it for introduce kirito sister, also has seinen scenes and thats creepy, i just hate that arc

Jun 2016
Ever heard the whole "this anime is not that good and you only like it because it was your first one"? My theory is that SAO is many people's first crap anime so they treat it like it's satan incarnate even though it's really not that bad.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 2020
People hate SAO because of those famous youtubers say so. I don’t exactly know why those youtubers hate SAO, but just normal people like to copy what other famous people say. My guess to why youtubers hate SAO is because of how they made kirito over powered? But I really don’t see why SAO is getting so much hate
Sep 6, 2021 10:33 AM
Jun 2021
I think SAO went from a cool world and concept to another boring isekai world with the worst main character.
Sep 6, 2021 10:34 AM
Dec 2020
kietedward said:
While SAO is a very perfect anime stater-pack for newbies, I've seen many guys who hated this show, especially anitubers(The anime man and others), who are always trying to compare SAO to other seinen shows. Are there some sorts of elite anime watchers?
for starts the title should be so not too much and theres no such group of elite anime watchers that I have heard of. While SAO does have some good arcs and is a decent show at parts trying to use rape in the elf filler arc to introduce kirito's sister and further his bond with asuna not only went too far but did a fairly shitty job at doing so and didn't really have much razzle dazzle to it compared to gun gale online's swordplay or aincrads failed romance from hell
Being human is making mistakes.
Sep 6, 2021 10:36 AM

Feb 2020
First of all SAO is not a seinen (i am not sure what's with light novel anime adaptation fans passing of there light novels as seinen)

now coming back to the topic, it no that hard to understand why people dont like sao.
rpg/isekai - check
op protagonist - check (kirito is pretty much hated in fandom for many reason, most say he has lack of development)
harem esthetic girl team - check
This is enough for people to hate a anime

If u want to go further is detail season 2 is most hated because of girl with aids and aimless plot in the second half. Though still most people's dissatisfaction started after aincrad arc (u can blame oberion and the bait incest for that). tbh 3rd season is far more well received by people, though its too late stereotype have been made already.

As for my opinion, every season had something which I liked and something which i didnot, it a mixed bag. though its was still quite enjoyable overall
AdampkSep 6, 2021 10:48 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Sep 6, 2021 10:43 AM
Feb 2020
For the most part because they’re told it’s cool to do so. In all actuality it’s because the “critics” of the show generally seem to be the ones “turning their brain off” while watching it and they miss plot-points and information because of it not being spoon-fed to them. That’s also why there’s so much misinformation about some parts of the show.
Sep 6, 2021 10:44 AM
May 2021
Bc Season 2 is Garbage
Sep 6, 2021 10:45 AM

May 2020
A sister who doesn't even know that a guy she met a day ago and has a crush on is her own brother just because his hairstyle is a bit spiky now,is calling for hate itself and everyone is just helping in the cause
Sep 6, 2021 10:51 AM
Dec 2019
I think most people just jump on the bandwagon of saying it’s bad but in reality it’s not. The first season was pretty good but I think they could have done without the fairy arc and done gun gale better. Alicization was pretty good but I fell off at war of the underworld so I don’t know how good it is after that. Overall pretty average anime
Sep 6, 2021 11:07 AM
Aug 2020
It's obvious that SAO is not perfect, probably I will say it's average, that is all, AVERAGE not bad. People like to hate
Sep 6, 2021 11:13 AM

Jun 2021
Hate is a Bit too much in my opinion it has really Potential but it's full of cliches and i don't Like the Focus at kirito.season one started with a great Trapped inn death Game Premise which was sadly ruined because you didnt really explore this massive world but you Jump without any Character developement to this weird rushed final after Just 13 episodes and Then fairy Dance...in my opinion Second ist really good ggo is with His tactital Shooter world and Battle royal exciting and mothers Rosario was really great didnt expect that. Just ignore this awful Side Story with that weird flying octopus elephant...that Just didnt Happen. alicization Part 1 is in my eyes even almost a masterpiece.but to make it Short..you can hate this Anime Just for the reason it's full of cringe Harem Anime cliches which also often bothers me
Sep 6, 2021 11:14 AM
Feb 2021
Cause that's how people is. Ignore these bored people they're just looking for some attention
Nir#9404 on discord feel free to DM me
Sep 6, 2021 11:23 AM
Shirayuki-Fan
Jul 2020
Because it is a bad Show. It is simple
Sep 6, 2021 11:24 AM
Jan 2021
Sao s1 and s2 are just fine but i really enjoyed s3 so i think people who hated s1 and 2 should try s3 bcz thats what made me think sao is a decent show
Sep 6, 2021 1:57 PM
Feb 2021
People hate SAO because the aincrad arc that is the basis of SAO was quite short, but MOSTLY the horrible Alfheim arc. The second part of season one was quite horrible and people stop after seeing that and judge the whole show based on that. After that horrible arc is slowly gets better but people won’t see that.
Sep 6, 2021 2:24 PM
Apr 2020
Because Kirito is a really bad character
Sep 6, 2021 3:10 PM

Jul 2015
Amount of popularity compared to it's quality.
It became popular due to very good visuals and quite good first arc, which left a very good first impression.
However, after first arc ended quality drop was huge.
Boring Mary Sue protagonist also didn't help.

Sep 6, 2021 8:00 PM
Geass
Apr 2020
Aincrad was good but they ended up skipping 14 floors which was a bit shit but first 12 episodes are good then after that it goes downhill, alfheim was meh and GGO was trash and alicazation is just kinda boring especially when kirito goes brain dead but i still enjoy sao to an extent
𝐼𝒻 π“Žπ‘œπ“Šπ“‡ π‘”π‘œπ‘œπ’Ή 𝒢𝓉 π“ˆπ‘œπ“‚π‘’π“‰π’½π’Ύπ“ƒπ‘” π“Œπ’½π“Ž π’Ήπ‘œ 𝒾𝓉 π’»π‘œπ“‡ 𝒻𝓇𝑒𝑒

https://i.imgur.com/qTzFIST.jpg
Sep 6, 2021 10:38 PM
May 2018
I think the problem is the storywriting and the characters. Like how easy Kirito got a girl and expand his harem. Forced drama in Alfheim arc, and mostly fillers in S2.

Alicization was a better one, but when Kirito revived from his veggies state it's just revert to normal op-shounen-friendship power etc.
Sep 7, 2021 7:38 AM
Dec 2019
kietedward said:
Sword Art Online is horrendously written and a very dislikable cast. And, most of them have bad adaptations, such as War of Underworld. for the rest, its ok
Sep 7, 2021 9:40 AM
Mar 2021
I mean not everyone "hates" Sao but well... Personally the fairy tail arcs just ruins it and the gun gun gale arc comes out of no where other than that I have only minor complaints
Sep 7, 2021 4:00 PM
Jun 2020
You definitely have to understand the story to actually like it more, it's pretty emotional in some parts (for me) and the action isn't too dramatic to stop me from watching.
Sep 7, 2021 4:12 PM
Jul 2017
It's perfectly fit for those who look for fantasy life in anime just like how harem anime works. Main character op, games,... it's just like those isekai anime. I can understand why many ppl love it. But i cant digest it, i dont bash on SAO fans because they can like whatever it is as long as it's not hurt anyone but many of them recommend it and talk about it over and over again, i remember have a friend who loves SAO in collegue and i ve been sick of being telling i ve should watch it. It could be my 1st true anime back in 2012 but even when i was young i could digest and drop it. For me it mediocre at best but i respect those ppl who like it
Sep 7, 2021 11:28 PM
Aug 2021
SAO is a perfect anime idk why people hate it. It got nice storyline and nice animation what else do you need
Sep 11, 2021 5:52 PM
Jul 2018
The first 2 seasons are ass caus they have no blood and they replace it with pixels, alicization buffed that and added blood and more violence.The drama is also ass kirito and his sister/cousin like wtf. Anyway alicization was enjoyable but the first 2 seasons were ass.
Sep 11, 2021 9:10 PM
Jun 2013
The hate with this series has to be the most retarded thing i ever saw in the anime community, nothing comes close, you don't even need to be a "fan" to realise it how stupid it is (i only watched first 2 seasons btw), people just decided (many out of elitism, others to feel like part of a cool group) to hate this thing for whatever reason they will come up with when asked abou it, when reality is that there are hundreds of inferior series in story and production quality that doesn't get 10% of the criticism, honestly, hating on SAO is sooo 2012 that anyone still doing it in 2021 looks nothing more than super corny
Shinuki_n_RebornSep 11, 2021 9:15 PM
Sep 15, 2021 4:21 PM
Mar 2021
SpongeHED said:
For the most part because they’re told it’s cool to do so. In all actuality it’s because the “critics” of the show generally seem to be the ones “turning their brain off” while watching it and they miss plot-points and information because of it not being spoon-fed to them. That’s also why there’s so much misinformation about some parts of the show.

this man literally just said "people only hate SAO because they have a small brain" this is the most objectively wrong opinion I have ever seen lmaoooo
Sep 17, 2021 5:28 PM
Apr 2008
I think many people are hopping the hatetrain. The hate is overblown.
Sure it's not the best anime ever. Hell it's not even great. But I think it's pretty good.
It has some good and some bad things going for it.

Personally the only parts i really disliked are part2 of S1 and part 1 of S2. The rest I liked quite a bit. It's one of those guilty pleasure shows for me. I see all the flaws in it but I still really like it & find it quite enjoyable to watch.
Sep 17, 2021 5:44 PM

Sep 2018
kietedward said:

It's just fashionable to hate SAO but there's nothing so terrible about it.

What's interesting to me is the praise heaped upon other shows that have just as many flaws as SAO but have captured the zeitgeist

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Sep 30, 2021 8:31 PM
Mar 2021
Theo1899 said:
Ever heard the whole "this anime is not that good and you only like it because it was your first one"? My theory is that SAO is many people's first crap anime so they treat it like it's satan incarnate even though it's really not that bad.

Not the case with me at all, I’ve seen many bad anime even before sao. I genuinely just didn’t like this anime.
Nov 7, 2021 10:05 PM

Oct 2017
Its just people being tsundere

Nov 12, 2021 8:24 AM
Jan 2021
There isn’t a logical reason as to why it gets so much hate, but if I had to think of one, it would be that the anime doesn’t give as much time to certain characters as the light novel does.
Nov 12, 2021 8:30 AM

Jul 2015
Basically the popularity vs quality difference of the show.

There are way, way worse series than SAO, but it's still honestly mediocre at best IMO, but as anime proves every season, that means shit in terms of what actually makes it big, and SAO is one of those series most people here has watched, that means lotsa lovers, but also plenty of people who didn't like it and wonder why it's as popular at it is compared to the stuff they like, and that generates a ton of salt compared to any shitty show no one has watched in first place.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Syureria - Aug 15, 2020

303 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kaiseki - Aug 8, 2020

210 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 5:20 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2020

222 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Best SAO girl?

Kazu-chan-san - Mar 20, 2023

15 by ItsAziz »»
Apr 7, 4:06 AM

» Question about Alice

quietkun27 - Mar 24

15 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 25, 1:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.