Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 1, 2021 6:20 AM

Jan 2020
I like the mizuho vs nagara debate , mizuho is that realist oligarch that have "money is everything" mindset, and then nagara the man with nothing still believing in magic.
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Aug 1, 2021 6:38 AM
Oct 2012
I think Nagara might not only be able to just locate new worlds or completely change it subconsciously (restoring the forest, in ep1 transporting everyone so nozomi and him dont fall endlessly into the void)
If powers manifested in the school already then his might have as well, marking the first major jump in to the first void realm due to a conflict/reason for his lifeless demeanor that was not yet shown, conversation about the injured bird/cats hinted at abandonment issues and the rules of the current world are about getting something in return and a way to escape from your surrounding
like a world where i can change myself type of deal, where now he has to deal with the believes/powers of the others
Nozomi mentioned that they might be getting tested and maybe that was exactly what he wished for, just my thoughts
Aug 1, 2021 7:25 AM

Jul 2020
Really enjoyed the episode. Love the art style but the dialogue writing is what impressed me the most. It feels natural and shows how snarky some teenagers behave lol. Can't wait for more.

I accept random friend requests!
Aug 1, 2021 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
deg said:
i think its getting ridiculous talk to include all of social science in here like psychology, sociology, political science and economics but ye whatever lets see if they go deeper with those since to me its basically "we live in a society" show and Nagara might be the one transported them to this Absurd World for escapism purposes against society

just to let clear that: my prior post about one of your posts was kind of "like thumbs up" to it, but not a subjective start for a discussion about Sonny Boy main messages...
but yeah Sonny Boys seems to imply many social and systematic discussions in it, and how we're slaves and products of the environment we live in, anyway.......
Aug 1, 2021 8:57 PM

Jan 2009
Lnaua said:
deg said:
i think its getting ridiculous talk to include all of social science in here like psychology, sociology, political science and economics but ye whatever lets see if they go deeper with those since to me its basically "we live in a society" show and Nagara might be the one transported them to this Absurd World for escapism purposes against society

just to let clear that: my prior post about one of your posts was kind of "like thumbs up" to it, but not a subjective start for a discussion about Sonny Boy main messages...
but yeah Sonny Boys seems to imply many social and systematic discussions in it, and how we're slaves and products of the environment we live in, anyway.......

ah ok and yep episode 3 at least imply that bold part a lot
Aug 1, 2021 9:02 PM
Jul 2018
deg said:

really hoping that ep 4 might be good too and bring us some other insights like this
for a while, it's been a really nice to watch show :)
Aug 1, 2021 9:05 PM

Jan 2009
Lnaua said:
deg said:

really hoping that ep 4 might be good too and bring us some other insights like this
for a while, it's been a really nice to watch show :)

agreed thats why i like original anime more because of show do not tell and fill in the blanks writing more
Aug 1, 2021 9:39 PM

Dec 2016
I didn't understand the point of Mizuho and Nagara's argument, it was so unnecessary. But I guess that's what makes this show realistic since in reality too people tend to argue about pointless stuff.

About this world, I think it could be like an escape game. It's like they have to use their given powers to escape from there. But one thing I'm curious about is can they die there?

That Hoshi is really suspicious. His smiling face really annoys me.
Aug 2, 2021 5:48 AM

Jan 2012
ezegonz said:

Don't like any of the things you said. But not much was hinted. From the get go we know that half the kids have powers and the ones who don't, hey look, we have powers too!
And obviously, the bad guy who is presented from the first moment it's presented. It goes against the way the anime presents it's world. It's like the plot is digested for us but the world and how it works doesn't. Something feels off about this.

I like how each power is presented to us, how we learn by how they interact with each other and the world without actually doing much exposure. Like how we got to know about Mizuho's power when the first thing we see was her living in a gigantic mansion that came out of nowhere.

It's a 12 episode anime, we are in episode 3 and not a lot of things are being answered. Not even hinted to us.

The series is lovely and I'm really in loved by the animation and the initial plot. But I just don't get what is going on. Everything is so messy.

Btw.. next time you answer someone you can keep your opinion of the person for yourself, it has nothing to do with criticizing a series.

Whoa, you actualy answered relatively calmly to the bait.
Is this really the internet?
Where is the fighting? the Drama?!
Joking aside, it's not that messy. Just watched ep 2 and 3 back to back, and a lot of questions from ep 2 were answered on ep 3. ep 3 did finish a mess, but it seems like it's on purpose, to make us question what's going on.
They'll probably explain most of it to us in the next few eps.
"Quack"
-A Duck

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 2, 2021 9:16 AM
Feb 2020
This episode really highlighted for me that the mc is kind of a dogshit character. He doesn't do anything, he doesn't have any redeemable qualities, he's super boring, and the reason why I'm finally realizing all this is because he's a bigger loser and more antisocial than any of the "losers" featured in this episode. Like this guy is a complete fucking dweeb.
Aug 2, 2021 2:22 PM

Jul 2019
Alr so some anti-social kids just had it handed to them I guess lmao. Fine episode, wanted a little more if I am honest.
Aug 2, 2021 4:36 PM
Jul 2018
deg said:
agreed thats why i like original anime more because of show do not tell and fill in the blanks writing more

yeah, that's one advantages of an original anime show - we can't know what's next
Aug 3, 2021 3:06 PM

Jul 2020
Definitely agree with other people, this show just keeps getting more interesting the more you watch it, and I'm also really liking Mizuho so far and her interactions with Nagara. It will also be interesting to see if Nagara really does have the power to leap into new worlds, and it will also be interesting to see who this savier is that Hoshi mentioned at the end of the episode

Definitely excited to see what's next!
Zackack99Aug 3, 2021 3:11 PM
Aug 4, 2021 8:44 AM
Apr 2019
I swear, as much as I've been enjoying this show, they really have a habit of showing random imagery out of nowhere

I hope it all means something in the end though lol
Aug 4, 2021 10:49 AM
Dec 2020
comrade nagara⁉️❗❗
Aug 7, 2021 10:51 AM
Sep 2014
Lnaua said:
Loving Mizuho (and her dynamic/chemistry with Nagara is very cool to watch)! Nozomi, on the other hand and in my perspective, is so syrup-type-character, ~so perfect~
What I like most in this ep is the plot is getting darker and gives us absurd feelings like you're watching a Lynch's film, very mindfuck... The most interesting part is Nagara's mysterious power... And Asakaze maybe perceived that, cause he's pretty jealous about Nagara's ability to find such places easily.

p.s.: Really liked @deg 's reply about this ep here

Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one getting Lynch vibes from this, specially the 3rd episode with its neverending curtains that hide a different version of the people outside - just like the red curtains in the black lodge in Twin Peaks. Very interesting indeed.
Aug 8, 2021 9:56 PM
May 2019
avianworld said:
This show is really damn cool. I'm just amazed by the surreal art style every time. There's a sorta subtle texture/grain of the colors that makes them look really awesome. The effect of those black curtains is very trippy.

I also really like how they don't stay pissy for unnecessarily long to have some drawn out drama. They said some snark but made up after sleeping it off. That's refreshing, and realistic, and sensible, and cool.
that's madhouse for you 😁
Aug 22, 2021 6:04 AM
May 2020
really intrigued to know what this voice is
Aug 25, 2021 11:38 AM

Apr 2015
The sheer creativity is just unbelievable. It's like a much more creative(but less dramatic) version of WEP so far.

I have so much respect for people that can think of these out of box concepts in everything around them, it was so fulfilling to hang out with such creative individuals
Sep 6, 2021 1:12 PM

Jul 2021
Lanz said:
The sheer creativity is just unbelievable. It's like a much more creative(but less dramatic) version of WEP so far.

I have so much respect for people that can think of these out of box concepts in everything around them, it was so fulfilling to hang out with such creative individuals

So, so true. Very inspiring. Kafka, Dalì, and so much more.
Sep 16, 2021 3:00 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So the world froze "lonely" people into their own restricted world into this one, at least they managed to save these people, Nozomi's theory about Nagara's power is really interesting, it might be true
Sep 18, 2021 8:16 AM

Mar 2010
Well even if they solve all the rules, they are still stuck like puppies in a unkown plane of existence. idk why they even wanted those recluse back seems like they are just too insecure of letting stay there, unless it really was gonnna kill em then again that was their choice.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 22, 2021 3:52 AM
Aug 2021
So the rule of this world is to freeze the outcasts in a particular place surrounded by a black curtain. And Nagara power might be opening portals to other worlds. That would mean Nagara's and Nozomi's powers go hand in hand. This series seems like one where you understand the true meaning behind the series only after you've finished it like FLCL or Paprika.

I did not understand what the fuck happened in the ending tho.
-Facktack-Sep 22, 2021 3:55 AM
Sep 22, 2021 5:34 AM
Aug 2021
deg said:
Nagara can leap to worlds huh so maybe he is the culprit all along

and it links to the fact that their superpowers already manifested way before they are transported to this Absurd World

and that Hoshi guy can talk to God?

also is this episode a critic of the Capitalism World we have in real life? the recluse did not choose this life or world but the world chooses who to exclude?

Yeah the people who don't fit in with the rest are cast out. Capitalism mentality.
Sep 22, 2021 5:37 AM

Oct 2017
Nagara's power is as hinted before, finding portals / leaping into new worlds. The mystery this time was pretty interesting. Also I'm liking Mizuho a lot so far and the prez on the other hand is getting more annoying.
Sep 30, 2021 7:53 PM

Dec 2013
I have to agree that Nagara really needs a better attitude sometimes.
Oct 7, 2021 5:29 AM

Jul 2015
E.T. Finger light ain't no A rank, its the most overpowered ability so far and deserves SSS+.

Lots of critique on society so far from capitalism to seclusion of individuals. Knowing they had their powers before they went adrift and Nagara possibly having the power to leap to other worlds makes me belief for now that he's the cause.

Oct 9, 2021 1:29 AM

May 2020
Nagara being the reason for their interdimensional jaunts isn't surprising, especially since the show has been hinting at it.

Also, I really like Mizuho. The personality and the voice is just a really nice change of pace from the usual female characters.
Oct 23, 2021 11:30 PM

Apr 2019
It's so uninteresting. I'm watching it to try to sleep, because I'm bored and this anime is boring.

The characters in this anime are horrible, holy shit.
This Mizuho is probably the worst character. She doesn't get anything to bring to the real world in case she comes back one day, but she charges the others for things.
And seriously, the characters work for this shit for nothing? That was one of the stupidest things in this anime.
Oct 30, 2021 8:03 PM

Nov 2019
Pretty much everything in the currently top review turned out to be accurate as far as this show's contents are concerned.

It's very much a character-driven coming of age story. A fairly slow-paced one despite the whole superpower window-dressing.

Personally, I wasn't all that thrilled by the realistic character design and reactions and had to drop it here.
Nov 25, 2021 4:58 AM

Mar 2021
Ehh I think I'm gonna drop it here. Three episodes is a fair go right.

The few things I like about it (how it looks, how it's animated, a legit mystery) are just bogged down by everyone being so unlikeable. My favourite character is the suss one who seems to hear the voice of God (mostly because the perpetual Luck-from-Black-Clover face), everyone else sucks.
Dec 9, 2021 9:30 AM

Jan 2021
I put watching this off for a while because I was waiting for it to end so I could binge watch it
Dec 14, 2021 6:30 PM

Dec 2018
i have to say the use of sound, even to the smallest detail in some scenes is wonderful
also i already had the idea that he was creating worlds from last episode, cool concept
i legitimately have zero complaints so far. captivating.
Dec 20, 2021 11:01 PM

May 2015
I looked away for a few seconds and I found myself lost for the rest of the episode. This is some advanced shit lol
Jan 1, 2022 8:22 AM

Feb 2018
If that's Nagara's power is to be finding new worlds that's one heck of an op power .. Also this is confusing ngl :p
Jan 30, 2022 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
Man these guys are living in paradise. Even if there is something more sinister going on behind the scenes -- what I wouldn't give to just chill out like these guys, for the time being.
Apr 13, 2022 2:17 AM
Jul 2018
Idk it's not really compelling to continue watching this, every episode felt like I had enough of this but I guess the world is quite unique for it's own.
May 9, 2022 7:49 AM

Apr 2016
This one is about how reclusive (like the Hikikomori) people are helped so they stop being something weird to see and not because someone care about them.
Points to the writer for nailed the typical teenager behaviour when they are trying to entice a desired answer (the red t-shirt guy just appearing to tell the main guy he wasn't needed despite being a lie, the cat girl questioning if the short-hair girl likes the main guy).
SafrichhMay 9, 2022 7:53 AM
Jul 7, 2022 8:16 AM
Jul 2018
So far the episodes seem really random, I'm not even sure what the central theme is anymore. Nothing in particular is consistent outside of getting back to a subjective sense of reality. Real mystical and all but I don't know. Hopefully some pieces start to fall into place soon.
Jul 29, 2022 12:21 AM
Dec 2020
A fairly good episode, at this point it seems that the series is episodic rather than how normal mystery play out
Nov 30, 2022 3:31 AM
Nov 2022
Sometimes it's nice to not know what happens next.
Dec 23, 2023 12:00 AM
May 2023
the boy who leaped through portals
++ i liked the clash of different personalities in this one
Feb 2, 4:54 PM

Sep 2014
This show is so weird, really impressive madhouse managed something so unique in their state.

Mizuho is definitely my favourite here.

Everyone from the student council sucks.

Pretty obvious Nagaras power is to leap to new worlds, I thought they knew and thats why he was in the portal searching team.

So the currency is not fake after all, thats why they have to work?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 26, 12:39 PM

Aug 2023
What has Nagara done we haven't really seen him do much but I'm not angry because this series so far has always chosen a little time skip at the start of each episode it's the epitome of off-screen guiding and it's really enjoyable. The characters are all blunt and deadpan they don't try to hide stuff yet they have layers and are mysterious. The interactions are enjoyable people sort out there problems simply which makes sense and is realistic in this abstract story. Asakase and Nagara are growing on me even blue shirt girl isn't that bad. The world and mystery is top-notch.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2021

296 by mabba »»
Apr 28, 5:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.