Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Those White Notes
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 1, 2021 6:52 PM
Apr 2021
From the start I knew he wasn't going to win but the way he was belittled pissed me off as a musician. Liked that they brought back the first op.
All in all, I liked the show but this last episode, just the end of it, ticked me off.
Jul 4, 2021 8:56 PM

Dec 2016
Setsu's performance was splendid. But that sudden change in rhythm, even though it sounded beautiful, the difference was noticeable even to a non-player, be it a small or a big difference, it's a grave thing in the ears of a professional especially when it's a competition. I knew that Setsu's placement would be something that would seem unfair to us. Setsu being third is actually pretty realistic. Him crying in the end was realistic too tho I would've liked it if he didn't let go of his emotions in the public like that...But I'm glad this anime wasn't biased towards Setsu being the mc.

What Umeko did in front of the audience was really inappropriate, it hit my nerves. And that dad too...At times like these parents should be the first ones to acknowledge their kids. Setsu must've felt so embarrassed and infuriated hearing all those shitty comments after he played so wholeheartedly...when it's someone else then it's somehow bearable but it can affect you mentally in a whole different level when it's someone unfortunately closely related to you. But this negativity can also help him grow more and help him polish his skills in a more refined way.

Setsu's situation was kinda relatable for me. During my A level Art exams when I found out that the ones who complemented me saying I would definitely get an A, got country and world highest grades whereas me got a freakin' D....I felt like shit.

Ok why was he crawling like that, it looked so weird ◐.̃◐

Anyway, I started watching this anime cuz I was curious about Shamisen but it actually turned out really good. This one is far better than Kono oto Tomare. They entirely focused on Shamisen with little to no romance. And their performance duration were longer and it had better backstory than Kono oto Tomare. Definitely would like a 2nd season. The animation is good but the linings are so thin and light and their hair and eyes are way darker that anything, it always bothered me.

Overall 8/10
Jul 5, 2021 1:21 PM

Aug 2018
At the end it was just a bad copy of kono oto tomare
Jul 11, 2021 7:12 AM
Jul 2021
Can somebody PLEASE tell me what's the name of the piece they play for the Solo competition?
Jul 12, 2021 11:18 PM

Mar 2015
Amazing performances and musics overall. I loved the show, that ending broke my heart though, I really wished it'd advertise for a second season but it might just finish like this... wow that was so harsh :(
Jul 14, 2021 5:09 AM

Mar 2020
I think I am going to remember this one. This show has completly changed the way I look at the Shamisen. Before I thought it was an old, boring Japanese instrument but now I see it as a lot more.

The final episode ended on a sour note because of the way they left it (season 2?). I was shocked personally on the outcome of the result and

The series was quite good overall. I liked the soundtrack, the animation and just the feel for it, though I can't quite say the same for the characters. I just loved the performances in the show as a whole. It sent chills down my spine the way it was perfectly composed and performed.

Overall I would give the show a 7/10!
Good stuff, would definitly watch the sequel!
"The best defence is a good offence" - Kiyoshi Fujino (Prison School EP 11)
Jul 14, 2021 8:52 PM

May 2016
Todoro-kun said:
So this is the end huh?

3/10

Man I really appreciate Shamisen but goddamn the story and the character was so bad. That's some brutal shit in the end "You're pathetic". I feel so bad for him but still overall it's not an enjoyable anime.

I was looking for words to describe this anime but yep this is what I think of this series.
Jul 16, 2021 9:48 PM

Jun 2011
Those are really horrible parents
Jul 31, 2021 9:50 AM
Jul 2016
though I would've wanted a different conclusion to the series, I can't really hate how it ended. I pretty much enjoyed the series and felt the hardwork the staff intended to portray the animation, music and soundtrack. happy they didn't stray into making a generic anime and stayed consistent with centralizing the story on Setsu's playing.
Aug 1, 2021 3:28 PM
Jan 2021
Ashhk said:
This anime is a special case for me, I really liked the story and the character development but absolutely hated the shamisen to the point that I had the fast-forward or skip all the moments they played it, it's probably my least favorite music instrument ever.. anyway I still enjoyed it and I think the writing is pretty good with all the drama (especially the family one I would say) but I wish it was about a different instrument xD
Wait what? Please elaborate because I don't understand how someone can watch an anime surrounding an instrument that they dislike.
Aug 1, 2021 10:54 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Yellow-Man said:
Ashhk said:
This anime is a special case for me, I really liked the story and the character development but absolutely hated the shamisen to the point that I had the fast-forward or skip all the moments they played it, it's probably my least favorite music instrument ever.. anyway I still enjoyed it and I think the writing is pretty good with all the drama (especially the family one I would say) but I wish it was about a different instrument xD
Wait what? Please elaborate because I don't understand how someone can watch an anime surrounding an instrument that they dislike.
That's simple, the development for the characters and the plot were interesting, but I didn't like all the representations because I don't like the instrument
Aug 3, 2021 12:41 PM
Jan 2021
Ashhk said:
Yellow-Man said:
That's simple, the development for the characters and the plot were interesting, but I didn't like all the representations because I don't like the instrument
Then what sort of instruments do you like?
Aug 3, 2021 12:43 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Yellow-Man said:
Ashhk said:
Then what sort of instruments do you like?
I definitely prefer Koto
Aug 12, 2021 5:14 AM

Jul 2015
Poor Setsu having to deal with not only expressing his own sound but also everyone's expectations from him especially that of his shitty parents.
Bit of a wild start with the pin-up girl and stuff but good season although its kinda disappointing to see the performances being interupted every time by flashbacks and stuff.

Aug 23, 2021 11:00 AM

Aug 2015
I knew he was going to lose but I didn´t expected everyone bashing on him. I did like it a lot though, because it is a huge reality check for a spoiled kid, even if his mother is quite terrible (his dad was a little better). Also, you know that will make him better, since he simply needed to understand that is a competition, and things are not the way he thinks.

Umeko is way too hot though. Outside of that, the first episodes and last ones were the best, the middle ones were quite a bore to get through.
Sep 14, 2021 1:06 PM
Dec 2014
I take back what I said previously about his Mum being cool. Both Setsu's parents need to lay off him :( Poor guy.

Overall I enjoyed this series.

Biggest gripe would be the characters. They are so weak, forgettable and I would even argue the Grandpa is the most interesting and memorable of the lot.

The music in this show is really great though. I'm a sucker for music competitions.

ExoticPineappleSep 14, 2021 1:59 PM
Oct 13, 2021 8:52 PM

Jul 2016
Worst parents ever
Dec 2, 2021 6:57 PM

Oct 2020
Really liked this show, however I think this was a weird way to end it off. Still good tho.
Dec 28, 2021 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
That was a rather complete disappointment of an ending.

8/10 show with a 6/10 ending episode.
Jan 6, 2022 11:18 PM

Aug 2019
Setsu delivered a magnificent and heartfelt performance. I'm irritated that his parents expect him to be like his grandfather and criticise him for using his own sounds. Umeko had no right to do that to Setsu on stage. It was extremely insensitive and horrible. Can't they at least consider Setu's feelings? F* *** his parents.

I seriously hope we have a second season.
Feb 24, 2022 4:31 PM
Apr 2017
Just finished watching it after stumbling upon this anime by accident.
I gotta say, I absolutely despised every 'adult' in the last episode (from what I gathered his brother isn't an adult yet?).
His 'mother' doesn't give two shits about her sons. If the sound of her father is so important to her, why didn't she learn it herself? Why put all the pressure on her youngest? Eitherway, she treats this poor boy like property. Holy fuck woman.
I liked Kamiki in all the other episodes, but damn, I'm so pissed off right now. I thought he would say something uplifting to Setsu but nope, beat the boy down some more why don't you
Taketo and Yuna. It was sweet that both of them were there to root for him (in their own way)

I'm glad Setsu got to play his own sound. Imo it was obvious he wouldn't win, but I do feel sad for him (especially after every goddamn adult was nasty to him).

I hope there will be a second season.
Mar 8, 2022 10:32 AM

Mar 2019
To be Frank, I'm a bit disappointed. Not because this show was bad, but the first episode was very good. The series never reached the same height, and maybe the last episode was good. Rest was just ok.

I would give it a 6, but first and last episode were very good, so it's a low 7 for me. Still not close to something like kono oto tomare.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Apr 20, 2022 9:25 PM
Jul 2018
The finale really pulled me in all directions but I suppose that it translates well in regards to Setsu's frustrated and overwhelming emotions. Had my heart break that everyone was so demanding of him in the most relentless and cruel manner possible.

It's so sad that the anime begins with Setsu misplaced and unhappy, only to briefly find joy and gratification before it came tumbling down on him.

In the end, I haven't binged a series in quite a while. Mashiro no Oto has become an unexpected favorite! Eagerly awaiting a season 2.
Jun 14, 2022 12:50 PM
May 2020
I didn’t like what happened 5/10
Jul 18, 2022 11:53 AM
Mar 2021
phantomfandom said:
I don't feel like this is the final episode at all. Too many unresolved situation. And Setsu's mother actually add fuel to the fire (though I like this kind of over-the-top drama). While the tournament is different from other anime because everyone is playing the same song, but if the anime is the song, then it's an unfinished song with unknown length.
Exactly my thoughts. I was thinking of this as a very good show, now suddenly, his Mom is a good person, Maimai and Souichi are his siblings, since judges don't care about whose sound it is as long as it is good, there seemed no point in finding his own sound, which takes all the happenings in the first 11 episodes, spits on it, and throws it away. What was the reason for his struggles? The sound he plays does not matter? Like HIS own sound/ his grandfather's sound is all the same to judges, of course, so he can just choose the best sounding one. Brah, I am confused, so are they, So what finally happened is that he gained passion to compete right?
Jul 18, 2022 11:55 AM
Mar 2021
DestinoAzell said:
HIDDEN GEM OF THE SEASON.. PERIOD!
if and only there's a season 2 announcement at the end...
I felt like if handle well...it can actually beat Kono Oto...
Im gonna miss shimasen sounds...and also please bring back Yuna for goodness sake..
KONO OTO TOMARE! is unbeatable! Even by the legendary shows. And the ending 2-3 episodes of this show were decidedly bad, the dad reveal, the sis reveal, the mom is good person, and many more things jumbled all the shit up
Oct 1, 2022 2:01 PM
Aug 2021
Perfect. Waiting impatiently for the second season.

Oct 11, 2022 6:53 PM
Oct 2020
dude, that ending was awful. Why did I watch 12 episodes of this show just for the mc to turn into a whiny bitch when he came in third place. Seriously, this Ash KEtchum, the hero never wins bullshit has to stop. Why do that? I wanna see the mc win. This is ridiculous
Oct 18, 2022 4:25 AM
Jun 2020
Wow what a terrible mom. Just terrible.

I do like the events of this episode. I believe the journey to find your own self expression through music can be this complicated and frustrating. The loss, the provocations, and the selfishness of his parents are just what will make the journey even more confusing.

I like the episode. But I also realllllly reallllly distaste the mom. Oh I hope for whatever next season they may do, she better not get some poor "misunderstanding" trope to reconcile her role as a "good" mom.

The end where she said her son is difficult to motivate, doesn't justify her being an asshole. And, she obviously wants to motivate her son for her own agenda, not for the good of her son.
You can tell how little she cares about her son through her monologues while he was performing. The moment he played his own sound, she was DISGUSTED. All she cared about was her father, not her son. She never respected her son's will in music and the shaminsen.

No tough love BS excuse for how this woman act. She obviously wasn't there in most parts of her kids' lives, as previous episodes have clearly pointed out. She could care less about her sons, OR knows how best it is to motivate them. She is emotionally manipulative and abusive.

She irks me a lot, and I hope she stayed purely as the antagonist of this show. If they made her out to be misunderstood etc, then is just poor character writing trying to end the story in a rosy manner.
Would Rather have a well written antagonist than a sloppy tough love/misunderstanding trope.

Music-wise, oh this show is so good with all the shamisen performance. Right of the start, every episode has the shaminsen performance woven into them. The shaminsen music is so lovely~ absolutely enjoyed them all.

Story-wise, is pretty empty. There's nothing complex or solid about the story, but it is starightforward, easy to grasp, and not heavy on the heart to understand.

P.S the accent is so cute!
May 25, 2023 9:01 AM
Jan 2021
I love any piece of media the features traditional music and I'm a bit biased as well
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» is there a chance for season 2?

moonichild - Jun 18, 2021

14 by ssourcandy »»
Jan 30, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2021

44 by MyLadyShip »»
Aug 21, 2023 3:19 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2021

64 by Mweeee »»
Jul 29, 2023 1:09 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2021

120 by Goldentigris78 »»
May 25, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

53 by Hilomenchero »»
Sep 25, 2022 10:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.