Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Festival Accompanying Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
May 11, 2021 8:03 AM

Oct 2019
In episode 6, we see Rika and Hanyuu existing in a in-between dimension where she gets to join a new Hinamizawa world with different scenarios. We come to know that every time Rika dies in a previous world, she is reincarnated to a different world with the help of Hanyuu. So, this is a never ending loop until and unless the fate is changed i.e the culprit is caught and Rika avoids her imminent death. That happens in the last episode.

My question is how and when exactly did this cycle started i.e. when did Hanyuu met Rika for the first time? When did Rika died for the first time (which triggered the cycle)? Did Hanyuu foresaw her death and the cause of everything? If so, why didn't she use her godly powers and make a world in which Rika never existed? Why didn't she erased Rika from existence?
May 11, 2021 10:53 AM
Dec 2020
This is a good question. From the information given Rika has been going through the cycle for at least 100 years so we can imagine thats when it started. Now we can assume that Hanyuu has always been with Rika’s family since they carry the queen parasite in them. So based around that knowledge you can assume that after the very first incident 100 years ago that is when Hanyuu made contact with Rika and started the cycle to stop her from dying. maybe these questions will be answered in season 4 which aires in the summer but mostly we can just theorize with what information is given. most of it comes from season 3
May 11, 2021 3:43 PM
Nov 2020
It was mentioned in an ova that if a girl is the first born 8 times in a row then that girl will be Oyashiros reincarnation(Rika) which I assume just means they'll be able to be in contact with Hanyuu
May 11, 2021 7:19 PM

Sep 2016
May 12, 2021 12:32 AM

Oct 2019
wizkellyyy said:
This is a good question. From the information given Rika has been going through the cycle for at least 100 years so we can imagine thats when it started. Now we can assume that Hanyuu has always been with Rika’s family since they carry the queen parasite in them. So based around that knowledge you can assume that after the very first incident 100 years ago that is when Hanyuu made contact with Rika and started the cycle to stop her from dying. maybe these questions will be answered in season 4 which aires in the summer but mostly we can just theorize with what information is given. most of it comes from season 3

Thank you for the reply. Yes, Rika has been through the cycle for atleast 100 years. If Hanyuu was always with the Rika's family because of that queen bee parasite thing in the Furude family and if she knew that Rika will born one day and the whole cycle will start if she dies (I am sure she knew about that since she was a god) why didn't she erased Rika from existence or prevent Rika from being born? In that case, the whole cycle wouldn't have occurred and Hinamizawa would be peaceful. But then, I theorize two things:

1. Hanyuu was timid, pessimistic and hence she would always submit to fate. She would always have the notion that "you can't change the fate". So, she foresaw everything, from Rika being born to she getting killed to the point that everything will restart, so on and so forth up until she saw Rika fighting to change her fate, she then materialized to help her breaking the fate.

2. If she prevented Rika from being born, then the Furude bloodline will be over and that would be problematic for the villagers because Rika is the shrine maiden of Furude shrine/queen bee carrier. In the former case, villagers would castigate Furude family for not conceiving a child. In the latter case, Miyo Takano will go after Rika's mother since she is the queen bee carrier. Then the whole thing will go out of hand.
Kakashi_69May 12, 2021 12:37 AM
May 12, 2021 12:37 AM

Oct 2019
google_mapz said:
It was mentioned in an ova that if a girl is the first born 8 times in a row then that girl will be Oyashiros reincarnation(Rika) which I assume just means they'll be able to be in contact with Hanyuu

Hmm, interesting. If she was in contact with Hanyuu, why didn't they come to an agreement and tell Hanyuu to erase her from existence or make a world where Rika didn't ever born. Then the cycle won't have occurred and Hinamizawa would be peaceful. I theorize two things. which I have written in my above comment.
May 12, 2021 12:39 AM

Oct 2019
gnomeu said:
Hanyuu has been with Rika since her birth, and this has even affected Rika's childhood. She was not a normal child and her mother could not get close, where the loop started is uncertain, but it started because Hanyu wanted Rika had a future

Why didn't Hanyuu choose to remove Rika from existence or prevent her from being born with the help of her godly powers? In that case, the cycle won't have occured and the entire village would be peaceful. I theorize two things which I have written in my above comment.
May 12, 2021 2:56 AM

Sep 2016
Kakashi_69 said:
gnomeu said:
Hanyuu has been with Rika since her birth, and this has even affected Rika's childhood. She was not a normal child and her mother could not get close, where the loop started is uncertain, but it started because Hanyu wanted Rika had a future

Why didn't Hanyuu choose to remove Rika from existence or prevent her from being born with the help of her godly powers? In that case, the cycle won't have occured and the entire village would be peaceful. I theorize two things which I have written in my above comment.

I probably can't give you a 100% satisfactory answer to this at the moment, but

1 - Butterfly effect, in the universe of higurashi a simple change can and has already generated a bigger problem, as we have already seen in the case of the doll in which the keichii can give no to Mion.

2 - The hanyuu probably doesn't want to exclude Rika from reality,

I believe that Hanyu only really wants Rika to have a happy human life as far as the extensions of her own powers can provide.
May 12, 2021 4:39 AM

Oct 2019
gnomeu said:
Kakashi_69 said:

1 - Butterfly effect, in the universe of higurashi a simple change can and has already generated a bigger problem, as we have already seen in the case of the doll in which the keichii can give no to Mion.

I believe that Hanyu only really wants Rika to have a happy human life as far as the extensions of her own powers can provide.

The spoiler looks like a good take on this question. This might have sorted my problem. As it is under spoiler tab, I assume this has happened after 2nd season, probably in the OVAs or in the new season. Am I right?
May 12, 2021 4:52 AM

Sep 2016
Kakashi_69 said:
gnomeu said:

The spoiler looks like a good take on this question. This might have sorted my problem. As it is under spoiler tab, I assume this has happened after 2nd season, probably in the OVAs or in the new season. Am I right?

yes, this is revealed in higurashi no naku koro ni rei in episode 4, but if you go to watch it, i recommend skipping episode 1 which is just a shit pool episode, it doesn’t add anything to the story it’s just fanservice.
May 25, 2021 7:34 AM

Sep 2016
Kakashi_69 said:
gnomeu said:

I start to play a visual novel just before that topic for answers that maybe the anime cut, today I got to this chapter and that speech by Rika reminded me of your topic, maybe you find it interesting

May 25, 2021 11:28 PM

Oct 2019
@gnomeu thanks for the info.
Jun 6, 2021 10:40 PM
Jan 2020
Also worth asking just how powerful or not Hanyuu actually is.

It was implied that she actually would have died if Takano had shot her (though this might just be a side effect of her taking human form). She's also not omniscient, and was just as in the dark as everyone else as to what was going on.

In some cultures, the term 'god' doesn't necessarily mean that an entity is all-powerful.
Sep 6, 2021 11:36 AM
Jan 2021
Kakashi_69 said:
In episode 6, we see Rika and Hanyuu existing in a in-between dimension where she gets to join a new Hinamizawa world with different scenarios. We come to know that every time Rika dies in a previous world, she is reincarnated to a different world with the help of Hanyuu. So, this is a never ending loop until and unless the fate is changed i.e the culprit is caught and Rika avoids her imminent death. That happens in the last episode.

My question is how and when exactly did this cycle started i.e. when did Hanyuu met Rika for the first time? When did Rika died for the first time (which triggered the cycle)? Did Hanyuu foresaw her death and the cause of everything? If so, why didn't she use her godly powers and make a world in which Rika never existed? Why didn't she erased Rika from existence?

Well, as it's already been mentioned they've been together since Rika's brith, Rika's first cycle must have probably been a crazy gore fest as any of the question arcs.

For the other questions my take is that Hanyuu has never been omnipotent given that if her powers had such a reach she wouldn't even have to do anything more than erasing Takano to end it all. I like to think of her as a being superior to humans cause she lives in the Sea of Fragments but limited in her sight, as she could only see what Rika saw, with some abilities such as tranferring her Miko's mind between fragments and affecting the world if only a little as seen in Minagoroshi. So, no, she shouldn't be able to see the future nor would she be able to do anything herself, not counting the use of Rika as a proxy, even if she knew.
Sep 25, 2021 8:55 PM

Sep 2020
It seems like I missed something but how did they figure out Rika was the queen?

All of a sudden Irie confronts her dad to talk her into helping the research (and aid in Satoko's recovery) but other than when she tells Irie everything I don't remember anything about that discovery.

Is it assumed that everybody got a blood test at some point and Rika's was notably different?
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Nov 5, 2021 4:17 AM

Oct 2010
SlammyHammy said:
It seems like I missed something but how did they figure out Rika was the queen?

All of a sudden Irie confronts her dad to talk her into helping the research (and aid in Satoko's recovery) but other than when she tells Irie everything I don't remember anything about that discovery.

Is it assumed that everybody got a blood test at some point and Rika's was notably different?

It was part of Hifumi Takano's theory about parasites controlling humanity, although the anime skipped most of the specific details from that part of the VN. He studied Hinamizawa culture and assumed a lot of it was due to the parasite. Due to the culture valuing the Furude women he theorized the queen carrier was there.

Miyo Takano just followed it, tested her and ended up correct in this case (unlike the part about everyone going insane without her).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 24, 2007

141 by benisgu »»
Apr 6, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

protoman96 - Jul 5, 2007

166 by Vincentie »»
Mar 19, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Entropy - Oct 1, 2007

216 by ghostgirl_ »»
Mar 14, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 6, 2007

120 by benisgu »»
Mar 2, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 29, 2007

100 by Drinzen »»
Feb 9, 4:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.