Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

I want to confirm that this series didn't take/copy elements from any other shows

86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 12, 2022 6:56 PM
Aug 2021
well i have to watch akito first
Jul 30, 2022 9:49 AM

Apr 2014
I didn't think it had much to do with AOT at all, except the themes of racism, which are a hot topic today anyway, AOT doesn't have the patent on those 😂
In fact, I think it goes to an extra mile to be different from AOT, considering the discriminated characters are actually perfectly capable to live their lives not caring about revenge or anything like that, most likely because of their nuanced upbringing of knowing both good Alba individuals and actually racist 86 individuals.
Jul 30, 2022 6:23 PM
Jun 2020
Gorgooo said:
First of all, yes the 86 is much better than the Akito. But there are a few things that are quite interesting. If one or two things were similar in the two series, I would say it’s just a coincidence, but there are so many that it’s definitely no coincidence anymore. Of course, I don’t want to look down on the 86 authors, no doubt he did a great job (and the similarities only apply to the first volume the most).

‌Story revolves around discriminated minorities assembled as a squad sent on suicide missions to die

‌Main female character is a nice girl from the wealthy nobility who has a famous father, harbors no prejudices, and is assigned to be the squad's handler (3 for 3 with Leila) + the fathers of both female protagonists were killed when FMC was still a child

‌Main female character's only and true friend in the army is a scientist girl (with same personality)

‌The army officers are lazy idiots

‌Male MC has a supernatural ability to perceive dead souls

‌Male MC got his supernatural ability when his brother attempted to murder him as a child in a church and ended up transferring the power to him ("I've died once" - they both said )  (WTF author wasn't even trying to be original at this point) + before that he was a normal child with a normal family life and after that he became homeless and joined the army

‌In Akito the Exiled, the brother's name was Shin; in Eighty-Six, the main character's name is Shin

‌There is a girl in the suicide squad who is secretly harboring feelings for the male MC and gets rather bitchy with the female MC for various reasons, one of them being perceived as a romantic rival

‌And yes, the female MC does feel a major emotional connection to the male MC (although it hasn't gotten as romantic as Akito & Leila, but this is still Volume 1 (later yes))

‌Male MC's goal in life is to kill his brother who is still out on the battlefield on the enemy's side

‌The country the MCs are fighting for is even more over-the-top racist than the Republic of Europia was

‌Elevens - Eighty six (number race)

‌Same mecha

‌The main characters look similar and have same personality. (Hyuuga Akito - Nouzen Shinei
‌Leila Malcal - Vladilena Milizé
‌Kosaka Ayano - Kukumila Kurena
‌Sayama Ryou - Shuga Raiden
‌Naruse Yukiya - Rikka Theoto
‌Anna Clément - Henrietta Penrose)

‌During a fight, the male MC sometimes loses his mind and becomes a crazy killer (his comrades can bring him back again)

‌Both of them are ace pilots and leaders of a suicide squad of a race treated as sub-humans by their home country.
‌They pilot white-colored quadrupedal mechs, and their combat style is to engage in fierce melee battles.
‌They gained their special power to hear from the dead after their elder brother attempted to kill them in the past.
‌It's their life goal to kill their brother on the battlefield.
‌Their personal moniker are strongly related to the dead - "Undertaker" for Shin and "Ghost of Hannibal" for Akito, helped with the fact that they were often the sole survivor of their previous squadrons.
‌Their love interest is a young girl with aristocrat background acting as their squad commander, and the first one to treat them humanely.
‌The world, characters and general atmosphere of 86 are incredibly similar to those of Code Geass: Akito the Exiled.

‌- The story revolves around a squad made up of discriminated minorities who are meant to die on the battlefield who fight primarily with spider mechs.

‌- Their military handler is a Nice Girl from the wealthy nobility who does her best to treat them in a humane and compassionate manner who relies on her Honorary Uncle military general to protect from political consequences.

‌- The main character of the story has a supernatural ability to somehow sense the souls of the dead.

‌- The top government and military officials of the racist country that the main characters fight for keep denying they are losing the war.

‌- In addition, the Humongous Mecha used in both series have a Brain–Computer Interface network linking the whole squad and their handler together that allows for instantaneous communication yet comes with a risk of emotional bleeding for each user (significantly, there are no other examples of such an interface existing in the rest of the Code Geass franchise): they even have similar names, with the 86 version called "Para-RAID" and the Akito version called the "Brain Raid System (BRS).

I’m sorry if something is mentioned several times and is a little hard to understand, these include others in addition to my comments so we can get a comprehensive picture. Well, it's been a long time, but it is.¯_(ツ)_/¯

Im not gonna reply to all the points you made since it's too long but let me give you some clarifications of one of the points you made regarding the male mc,

Shin in 86 already got his supernatural ability(psychic powers) by birth being part of the nouzen clan race later morph into him hearing the voices of the dead while in akito he was under the geass but somehow able to control it idk, their family is also different in 86 they have supernatural abilities being part of the said race and they are from the Empire who made the Legions while in akito they are japanese that was invaded by the britania. The context behind I've died once is also different in 86 he was brought back in life through CPR while in akito he was ordered to die using geass but as i said able to go against it idk.

Their goal is similar for different reasons, in 86 shin wanted to kill his brother not out of revenge but to free his brother from the legions to remember him as the good brother he was before while in akito he literally wants to kill his brother out of hatred and revenge for obvious reasons. Etc...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

462 by SantiOtakito »»
May 29, 5:52 AM

» Eighty-Six: The Complete Season avalable for purchase on digital

jorel262 - May 22

2 by IhnalakoKaina »»
May 22, 10:05 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

433 by yuyiyu »»
May 22, 6:47 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

243 by lordmisanthrope »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

32 by KitsuFrost »»
May 1, 7:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.