So if i dont mind the cgi
Should i watch the berserk anime
Or does it skip things from manga
Jan 26, 2021 6:39 AM
Apr 2020
just read it and then watch it so you don’t have regrets
Jan 26, 2021 7:41 AM

Jun 2015
First, I would HIGHLY recommend reading Berserk. It’s universally agreed that the best way to consume Berserk is that way. You receive the full story, the better art, it’s still being produced, and is currently the highest rated piece of media (#1 in manga and a higher rating than the #1 anime FMA:B). It’s daunting at first but you’ll soon get lost in it and will not want to put it down.

Now, for the 2016 and 2017 anime adaptations, it’s not so much the CGI, but the fact it’s poorly animated and the overall direction is bad. The director has been seen as enemy number one by much of the Berserk fandom and before he directed ‘16 & ‘17, aside from being a small part in some great shows, he was best known for Teekyu, an entirely different show from Berserk overall. The story in ‘16 & ‘17 are different from the previous anime adaptations of the manga but still deviates from the manga at points. I’d argue, if Berserk is to be adapted, at some point, you NEED to go over the Golden Age arc. This is something that just doesn’t happen in Itagaki’s versions. The OPs for both ‘16 & ‘17 are imo the best of any of the adaptations. ‘16’s OP is also how you witness moments of the Golden Age arc but doesn’t necessarily tell the full story, but it’s there.

If you’re wanting to watch Berserk I personally believe to best way to do it is with the 1997 anime, but even that one has some pacing issues and has 2nd rate art compared to the manga. The soundtrack is 10/10 though and it does capture the essence of what Miura wanted, as he was present in the making of the ‘97 anime.

The film trilogy is another way to consume Berserk in animation but the CGI used in it is jarring and wooden for much of them and the art and music doesn’t reach the bar set by the ‘97 anime, but you get through everything in the ‘97 version faster and has a more conclusive ending (although I prefer the ‘97 version on that front too).

Regardless, it’s up to you. If CGI doesn’t bother you and the first episode doesn’t disappointed then maybe you’ll like it. Despite a mean score of 6.42, there are over 10k accounts that gave it a 10 (although I’m sure a good chunk of which did that for the meme, kind of like how some people say The Room is a 10/10 movie) so you could be one of those that think the same. If you do want to watch it, definitely consider watching and reading the other material so you can at least understand both sides of the crowd.

Let me know what you decide to do. Hopefully what I said helps.
Jan 26, 2021 7:42 AM

Jul 2020
It's not fully adapted so it's better if you read the Manga.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 26, 2021 8:10 AM
Nov 2020
if you REALLY want to see it animated then sure, but you really should read the manga
Jan 26, 2021 10:26 PM
Dec 2020
BrotherMeSoftly said:
First, I would HIGHLY recommend reading Berserk. It’s universally agreed that the best way to consume Berserk is that way. You receive the full story, the better art, it’s still being produced, and is currently the highest rated piece of media (#1 in manga and a higher rating than the #1 anime FMA:B). It’s daunting at first but you’ll soon get lost in it and will not want to put it down.

Now, for the 2016 and 2017 anime adaptations, it’s not so much the CGI, but the fact it’s poorly animated and the overall direction is bad. The director has been seen as enemy number one by much of the Berserk fandom and before he directed ‘16 & ‘17, aside from being a small part in some great shows, he was best known for Teekyu, an entirely different show from Berserk overall. The story in ‘16 & ‘17 are different from the previous anime adaptations of the manga but still deviates from the manga at points. I’d argue, if Berserk is to be adapted, at some point, you NEED to go over the Golden Age arc. This is something that just doesn’t happen in Itagaki’s versions. The OPs for both ‘16 & ‘17 are imo the best of any of the adaptations. ‘16’s OP is also how you witness moments of the Golden Age arc but doesn’t necessarily tell the full story, but it’s there.

If you’re wanting to watch Berserk I personally believe to best way to do it is with the 1997 anime, but even that one has some pacing issues and has 2nd rate art compared to the manga. The soundtrack is 10/10 though and it does capture the essence of what Miura wanted, as he was present in the making of the ‘97 anime.

The film trilogy is another way to consume Berserk in animation but the CGI used in it is jarring and wooden for much of them and the art and music doesn’t reach the bar set by the ‘97 anime, but you get through everything in the ‘97 version faster and has a more conclusive ending (although I prefer the ‘97 version on that front too).

Regardless, it’s up to you. If CGI doesn’t bother you and the first episode doesn’t disappointed then maybe you’ll like it. Despite a mean score of 6.42, there are over 10k accounts that gave it a 10 (although I’m sure a good chunk of which did that for the meme, kind of like how some people say The Room is a 10/10 movie) so you could be one of those that think the same. If you do want to watch it, definitely consider watching and reading the other material so you can at least understand both sides of the crowd.

Let me know what you decide to do. Hopefully what I said helps.

Thanks
Just started the manga after watching '97 version
Feb 16, 2021 5:18 PM

Oct 2014
SAMR030 said:
I have a problem with reading and wanted to watch berserk
So if i dont mind the cgi
Should i watch the berserk anime
Or does it skip things from manga

Yes. It's really great.
Feb 22, 2021 3:13 AM

Apr 2017
SAMR030 said:
Thanks

I hope you started from the beginning then. The '97 anime skips a lot from the manga after all.
Feb 22, 2021 10:31 PM
Dec 2020
Zoldra0 said:
SAMR030 said:
Thanks

I hope you started from the beginning then. The '97 anime skips a lot from the manga after all.

Yes
Just finished the manga from the starting

More topics from this board

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

32 by StyxParadise »»
Jun 6, 6:57 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

182 by Dractune »»
May 12, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

990 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.