Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 19, 2020 5:52 PM

Oct 2013
Basically over-viewing SAO, I wanted to know how much the studios have omitted/edited the series to their liking, and probably to Kawahara-sensei's discontent. I've never read the light novels but I love SAO the series, however in regards to the anime, there is no clear plot. Like, why is Kirito going into all these games? What is the end suppose to look like? It's pure storytelling at this point. In shows like FullMetal Alchemist, we knew what the plot was from the beginning; for the Elric brothers to get their bodies back but no such plot points are clearly given in SAO.

Also, its a known fact that omissions from light novels are abundant given the massive amount of details contained in them. I know that in Alicization, a lot of Kirito development was suppose to occur, such as him questioning his Black Swordsman persona and his relation with Aincrad but that was given to us for 2.5 seconds when Administrator cut down Alice. Also how Alice's feelings for Kirito were largely platonic but they changed it to suit the harem.

For the most part, I want to know if you guys believe that the anime is an accurate adaptation of the light novels. It's not realistic to expect verbatim from the light novel to be adapted but major concepts.

Is there a plot? If so, what is it?
Is Kayaba an active villainous entity?
Is the harem the same/necessary?
Which do you prefer?

Thanks guys!
(I know if could just read the books & please tell me if you recommend. Use spoiler tags if you'd like)
Nov 22, 2020 1:22 AM

Jun 2017
The plot in SAO is mainly arc defined. The only common thing that connects each arc is the theme of virtual reality itself. Each arc has its own goals but it is not trying to tell a single story like FMA.

As for why Kirito agrees to enter all VR systems is because he feels responsible for making VR popular by deciding to make SEED technology public. So he checks on all suspicious things involving the World seed.

The anime is nowhere near the LNs in terms of storytelling or character development. Alicization arc in particular has many things skipped over. Usually when studios cut content they also modify the adapted content a bit to make things flow better. But in this case, some parts are completely cut and unimportant bits are shown without any modification for no particular reason (The elevator girl for instance).
Kayaba is pretty much the same in novels and harem element is not much different either. But the forced fanservice is absent as expected from a book. It is worth reading if you want to know more about the characters because character development is much better in the books.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Syureria - Aug 15, 2020

303 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kaiseki - Aug 8, 2020

210 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 5:20 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2020

222 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Best SAO girl?

Kazu-chan-san - Mar 20, 2023

15 by ItsAziz »»
Apr 7, 4:06 AM

» Question about Alice

quietkun27 - Mar 24

15 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 25, 1:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.