Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 19, 2020 5:43 AM

May 2011
I just finished ep 12 today, I don't know why is this so popular ? there were some hype moments, the animation is solid, the story is meh, the characters are bland and don't have any personality except Tanya, this being X actions don't make any sense, if a creature is having that much power of controlling peoples death and governing the universe, why do they care about just one man ? They're just too childish for my liking, it's a joke.

Let's get back in track, the only thing I liked about this is the animation and the fight scenes, please tell me what do you like about this series.
Aug 22, 2020 1:53 AM

Oct 2019
The only thing I like is Tanya, because she's an awesome character. Her development is really good, her personality is well written and she's a badass. She carries everything about the show and the way she fights being X is a lot of fun to watch.

The way being X behaves is introduced right away and it's the whole point. Without that, there wouldn't be a conflict. I don't think it governs the universe. It's just a very powerful self-proclaimed god.

Also the strategy within the story is solid.
Aug 24, 2020 11:15 AM
Dec 2018
The show is a character piece that leans heavily on the personality of the main character. Tanya carries the show almost entirely on her own, which means if you don't like her character, you aren't going to like the show.

All the stuff pulled straight out of WWI and WWII is also interesting. I paused the show so many times to look up people, places, and battles. I think I learned more about the World Wars from the tangential learning spurred on by this show than I ever did in high school...which really speaks to the sorry state of our public education system.

Also, I enjoy that the show is misotheistic. You don't get that a lot outside of Lovecraft. Tanya outright hates God and refuses to acknowledge him despite being forced to rely on God for her survival in battle. As for Being X, I didn't take it as him being childish. I felt more like he was just bored. From the first episode, I kind of got the feeling that Being X just doesn't care anymore, and he's torturing Tanya just for the hell of it.

tl;dr - The show has some interesting concepts that I enjoy, was well researched historically, but ultimately Tanya's character carries the show.
Aug 27, 2020 4:29 PM
Jul 2015
The strategy is roughly based on WW2 which makes it pretty cool aswell
Sep 12, 2020 8:31 AM

Apr 2013
yetified said:
The strategy is roughly based on WW2 which makes it pretty cool aswell

WW1. It's roughly based on WW1 with WW2 and coalition war inspirations among other things.
Sep 12, 2020 9:37 AM

Aug 2017
because psychopath loli of course
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2020 6:49 AM
Jan 2018
Your referring to why being x is obsessed with Tanya it's because tanya dosent believe in gods , it was pretty much explained shown why ,

Tanya gets her power by praying to X becouse it's the only way to get it and becouse x knows that Tanya hates or dosent believe in gods etc
Sep 26, 2020 6:06 PM
Feb 2017
It's worth remembering that "Being X" is one of many "gods" (or whatever they are), and each one deals different realities. They really didn't get into it in the anime. The anime basically covers volumes 1-3 of the Light Novel, but the series is on volume 12, and is ongoing. And if you are wondering why he acts like that, well, most polytheistic deities are more human than monotheistic deities. Think about Medusa, a woman who got raped by Poseidon in a temple of Athena, and thanks to that was cursed by Athena into a monster.

As for why I like it, well, a lot of it comes down to the "feel" of the series. The LN's in particular hit a lot of my buttons, and it is unique in the anime/LN landscape. This is a thoroughly cynical series, that looks at the utter irrationality of war, and human action.
Oct 16, 2020 2:44 PM
Apr 2013
farson135 said:
It's worth remembering that "Being X" is one of many "gods" (or whatever they are), and each one deals different realities. They really didn't get into it in the anime. The anime basically covers volumes 1-3 of the Light Novel, but the series is on volume 12, and is ongoing. And if you are wondering why he acts like that, well, most polytheistic deities are more human than monotheistic deities. Think about Medusa, a woman who got raped by Poseidon in a temple of Athena, and thanks to that was cursed by Athena into a monster.

As for why I like it, well, a lot of it comes down to the "feel" of the series. The LN's in particular hit a lot of my buttons, and it is unique in the anime/LN landscape. This is a thoroughly cynical series, that looks at the utter irrationality of war, and human action.

I'm currently reading through volume 1,and I was wondering:How different are the LN's from the anime? Even though I'm not done with Vol 1,i notice that some small details are different, but so far it seems to line up with the anime quite well
Dec 6, 2020 1:07 PM
Feb 2017
adit2789 said:
I'm currently reading through volume 1,and I was wondering:How different are the LN's from the anime? Even though I'm not done with Vol 1,i notice that some small details are different, but so far it seems to line up with the anime quite well

The scenes are all mostly the same (they do have stuff taking place years after the war which isn't in the anime), but there is more going on behind the scenes. For example, Tanya's inner monologues reveal how she can "know" certain things. Like when she correctly predicted that they were going to try an amphibious landing, she was thinking of the landings at Inchon. Since she has already "experienced" these things, she seems a lot more strategically brilliant than she really is.
Mar 4, 2021 8:01 AM

May 2020
For me it's because I liked the WW1-fantasy magic concept. Think about how many anime, or even media as a whole are about WW1-like fantasy with magic. Not many. Also action war anime are cool I guess.
Mar 24, 2021 6:09 PM

Oct 2020
I feel like it's popular partly for the reasons you mentioned, but also because it's similar to real history. People like war. So anime about military and combat is bound to do well.
Mar 27, 2021 3:05 PM
Oct 2019
people like trash
Mar 30, 2021 2:21 PM
Nov 2019
Zawachi said:
people like trash
people must love you then
Apr 10, 2021 1:50 AM

Jul 2017
Satan-sama said:
this being X actions don't make any sense, if a creature is having that much power of controlling peoples death and governing the universe, why do they care about just one man ?
They're just too childish for my liking, it’s a joke.

Thats right. Its a joke. A metaphor. “god” is a term which humans shouldnt “understand” anyway.

And for why its popular, its a fun show. A fun isekai at that. It has room for people to reflect on and enjoy the booms on screen. Its a fantasy.
Satan-sama said:
it’s a joke

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2017

209 by lazypanda666 »»
May 18, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2017

218 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 25, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

313 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2017

448 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 11:41 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

291 by Phixiately »»
Apr 24, 8:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.