Forums
New
Aug 8, 2020 6:51 PM

Jul 2020
hihihihihihihihihi
InfinityDude88Aug 14, 2020 3:04 PM
Aug 8, 2020 7:14 PM
Oct 2019
I personally find that it holds that praise because like... its over the topness is what makes it good. Its a sort of dissociation where if you sit back and just pog over a bullet flying through tiddies it can be a super good time but if you cant get into that mindset it wont be, and thats all it relly boils down to. If you can turn your brain off youll have a good time.
Also the story has no closure bc the author died, hope that helps.
Aug 8, 2020 7:21 PM
Jul 2018
I dropped it after 15 minutes of the first episode so uh...yes.
Aug 8, 2020 7:53 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
The mean score is floating around a 7.2. This invisible, anecdotal OMG BUT SO MANY PEOPLE PRAISE IT, SO ITS STILL OVERRATED doesn't exist in the face of a relatively mediocre aggregate score consisting of 650,638 votes. I don't know what you're going on about with the assertion that it's overrated in the face of...I don't know, statistics?

I mean, gee, it's almost like this thread is about you tossing around a bunch of vaguely defined and meaningless criticisms like FANSERVICE and BAD CHARACTERS, and you just made up an invisible anecdote to justify shouting that out in thread form because you couldn't be arsed to write a proper review or blog where you'd actually have to go into this. But what do I know?

Also, another thing - this series is *very* simple. Like, I don't think its one that leaves a lot of room for interpretation from the audience's side of things. I'll still explain why I liked it, but I really do think that if you watched it, you could see where the appeal of it lies. Asking for an explanation feels really trite. Nobody should be giving themselves a headache figuring out where the appeal lies.

-------------

Anyway, High School of the Dead is balls to the wall, over the top violence and fanservice. It's a schlock fest. I'm not watching it as a survival horror schtick about psychological explorations of the cast in question and how they're coping with the existential crisis facing humanity. Boobs go boing. Zombies go boom. Blood goes *blood spewing noises.* It's all spectacle. It's all about mindless tits and mindless action. It's going to be shit if you want something that makes a statement or does something more drama/thriller-esque. It's essentially some exploitation B-movie given anime form and a good budget.

So, looking at it from the standpoint of a hypersexualized, hyperviolent exploitation series - which is an idea/premise that I find appealing in of itself, from an escapism standpoint - there's pretty much 4 components to what it's doing that I'm going to focus on, with two taking a backend and serving in a support role to the two in the forefront.

First - and more important - thing, was the fanservice good? And yeah, I really think it it was. Great, even. Out of all the mainstream (or at least really, really popular and recognized) ecchi series like this one, DxD, Shokugeki, No Game No Life, et cetera, this one is probably the absolute best of that group at being a straight up ecchi. Not the best *ecchi* as a whole, but out of all of the really prominent ones that float to the surface even outside of the ecchi fandom. NGNL is pretty good too, mind you, but I think this one has it beat. DxD is meh and Shokugeki is fucking garbage. It lended itself perfectly to the OTT exploitationfest identity of the series, it was consistently sexy, and its done in a fairly distinct artstyle that's more reminiscent of OVA-era ecchi from the late '90s by using tropes from that era like heavy body shine, making it stand out amongst its contemporaries. Tracing back to lending itself to the series general absurdity and stupidity, bullet time tits. Using a girl's body in a lewd way to stabilize a weapon you're using to blow the fucking brains out of zombies and shit. It had some decently crazy ideas/scenarios on that front, and it managed to not only stay pretty sexy with it - especially the body stabilization scene, that's my favorite - but it tied in well to the general vibe of whole series so it felt additive moreso than anything.

Action? Hot girls hacking shit apart with Katanas. Hot girls with pipes. Guns go bang. Zombie fucking explodes. I'm not a fight scene expert, but I found it pretty high octane and explosive. Things like the characters interacting with the fight itself and their role of it never felt like the thing that I cared about here. It was all about just the sheer spectacle of it. Gore, viscera, etc. And it succeeded there. It was very violent and bloody and gruesome. That's fucking cool, and that's all I want from it.

Characters were fine. This is a series that's very much spectacle over all else, and each served their purpose well enough. You don't need to reinvent the wheel with each archetype here. As a matter of fact, focusing too much on character exploration would probably detract from the best part about the series and so I'd discourage it - the characters were just good enough to fill their role while still being fun to watch. That's perfect here. I don't want to hear their drama or anything like that. I don't care. I want them to be sexy and blow shit up while still being fun to watch. They all do that.

Narrative was largely a vessel for spectacle so I can't say I give a shit about it too much. You had that hatesink villain guy who I don't remember doing much. Most of it was just running around and performing absurd action bullshit in the face of a zombie apocalypse, with whatever scenario they were in basically being a setup to lead into the spectacle. I'm fine with that as well - because, well, what else does it need to be? It's already been established to me that I'm watching something that's fucking all about giant tits and bombastic gore, in that order. Some kind of very overt, focused statement on the human condition or society at large would be annoying, fabricated drama that'd hog up screentime that could go towards benefitting the fucking good parts that this series can do right. I never felt like the narrative served any purpose other than to provide setup and to give a light sense of progression. That's all I want it to do here. So it checks out.

So yeah. I'm going to downplay narrative and character complexity here. I don't care about it as much. And I don't really think HSotD either, because I very much see it as a series where the creator played into his strengths and interests, and his interests didn't lie on the SEL side of things. That also made that spectacle pretty fucking stylish and distinct and made it more fun and accessible to me as an audience member.
ManabanAug 8, 2020 8:14 PM

Aug 8, 2020 9:07 PM

Oct 2013
everything in all of media is cliched and generic in my eyes so its not critic as far as Im concerned
HOTD falls in line with my tastes. I like death a lot. Vampires, Zombies and Ghosts along with other horror genre main stays

I also really like sexual content which I feel should always go hand in hand with series focused on death since sexuality and reproducing is a basic human instinct to make sure genes survive for as long as possible since the fear of death is ever luring

Its a shame the series isnt finished yes but when you've been a anime fan for over 10 years you kind of realise you have to move past that some times and be happy with what material you have
Aug 8, 2020 9:28 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
InfinityDude88 said:

Overall I think we are going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to our tastes in anime, please just try not to be rude to others when making your point next time.

On the contrary, I wasn't rude at all. I think at one point I was facetious and that's the worst of it. You're not being bullied by anyone here, nor is anyone shouting you down. Chill.

Anyway, trying to bring up relativism doesn't help anybody figure out anything. Of course its your opinion, that's an implied aspect of discussion. Your opinion is that this show is overrated for carrying a mediocre score. That's fine. No issue in that.

Bringing up an invisible group in an explicit attempt to try to sidestep that is when I start feeling there's something else going on, though. It makes it seem like you're making your own enemy to knock down here while trying to pry people's eyes away from the most damning evidence against your assertion, which sends bad faith vibes. That doesn't help me want to treat you with Hello Kitty print gloves. It doesn't help that we're discussing a show that's very, very straightforward and simple and you're sitting here telling everybody you don't understand what people see in it because the characters were cliche and the fights were boring and the narrative doesn't exist (which is just lmao levels of hyperbole, and you're still getting on to me for using strong/assertive language here.)

The implication is that your standards of what a series should prioritize are universal, and since this series doesn't fall in line with prioritizing those things, you don't understand how people can like it. That makes you come across as not only closed-minded, but demanding an explanation from somebody about a series that *possibly* doesn't emphasize its narrative or goes for portraying complex characters could entertain or be enjoyed by anyone. And now you're bringing up relativism to me on a silver platter, since it suits you now, as the icing on top. Just great.

And, in spite of those issues I had with your OP, you got like, one bit of facetiousness out of it. Nothing big, a minor part of the post. As a response, you're trying to patronize somebody who's been doing this for half a decade with crap like "Don't be so rude next time." That doesn't seem very reasonable to me.

Lastly, while subjectivity is implied and so we can use objective wording to strengthen our points when we have that base understanding - at least if you're discussing something with somebody who's actually capable of it - turning around and flying the white flag of relativism is also something that won't fly with me if that's how we're operating, I'm sorry to say. Relativism doesn't grant your opinions any kind of immunity. So cut the "I don't possibly understand how anybody can like this, it has no plot, the characters are all derivative, etc." followed by "it's all just an opinion" spiel. Start as you intend to go on or don't start at all, man.
ManabanAug 8, 2020 9:50 PM

Aug 9, 2020 12:39 AM
Jun 2020
More like underappreciated.
Aug 9, 2020 12:53 AM

Jun 2016
I like highschool of the dead.
The blend of crazy araki action and over the top erotic fan service was so much fun even if the characters were complete shit.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 9, 2020 1:37 AM

Jul 2017
No, I don't feel that way.

Araki directing this Ecchi goodness is enough reason on its own to make this a gem in my book.

Some really glorious scenes in this one, alongside the sweet action. It went for a shameless, simple appeal, and delivered with quality. It would be rare for something like this to come out now. Some good shit from the Ecchi boom days. If anything, I find it quite underappreciated.

Also, just look at those seiyuus, hot damn! That's a dream team right there lol

Honestly feel like rewatching this now.

Aug 18, 2020 1:58 AM
Aug 2020
I don't understand this shit's score is around 7
Aug 24, 2020 9:01 PM

Jan 2015
Don't know if it's the nostalgia, but I have such a soft spot for this show. The gun bullet scene and other over-the-top scenes are hilarious and I always had a laugh watching it years ago. There's scenes from this show that I still think of from time to time. Might rewatch it.
その目だれの目?
Nov 14, 2020 4:13 PM
Sep 2014
No, not at all. Next
Nov 24, 2020 6:02 AM

Feb 2019
I don't think its overrated
I think its so underrated
Dec 1, 2020 2:33 PM
Dec 2020
Theo1899 said:
I like highschool of the dead.
The blend of crazy araki action and over the top erotic fan service was so much fun even if the characters were complete shit.
i'm Gonna Agree on that one
Dec 1, 2020 2:35 PM
Dec 2020
I'm Gonna Miss Who Create This Anime, I Hope That They Remake This And Explain How The Pandemic Even Started,
Dec 7, 2020 11:18 PM

Jan 2019
I don’t think anyone thinks the show is actually good
Dec 24, 2020 6:06 PM

Mar 2008
At the core of it, the show is fun. They had a good mix of fanservice, action, and having a premise that functioned well enough to let those things just take center stage.

Asking if something is overrated always seems pointless. Because what is it even being regarded as? With view points going from it being garbage to being great I'd say that the rating for it is about where it should be.

Is it a great serious character study? No. Is it a fun action show involving taking down zombies? Yeah, that seems accurate. The show does just fine at what it set out to do.
Dec 27, 2020 11:33 PM

Jan 2020
Even Ousama Game is better than this ****
Apr 10, 2021 4:20 AM
Nov 2020
Nah, this is good, with rating of 7,this anime is very good in my opinion, i like the story, i very like how they fighting all zombie, and the op too, damn, the opening is very damn good
Oct 23, 2021 2:07 PM
Oct 2021

(Throwaway, I don't care)

Manaban said:

I mean, gee, it's almost like this thread is about you tossing around a bunch of vaguely defined and meaningless criticisms like FANSERVICE and BAD CHARACTERS, and you just made up an invisible anecdote to justify shouting that out in thread form because you couldn't be arsed to write a proper review or blog where you'd actually have to go into this. But what do I know? ... Asking for an explanation feels really trite.

Manaban said:

On the contrary, I wasn't rude at all. I think at one point I was facetious and that's the worst of it.
It doesn't help that we're discussing a show that's very, very straightforward and simple and you're sitting here telling everybody you don't understand what people see in it because the characters were cliche and the fights were boring and the narrative doesn't exist (which is just lmao levels of hyperbole, and you're still getting on to me for using strong/assertive language here.)

...you're trying to patronize somebody who's been doing this for half a decade with crap like "Don't be so rude next time." That doesn't seem very reasonable to me.

... lol someone got triggered. Chill mate... it's Highschool of the Dead... objectively an awful show like "The Room" is objectively an awful movie. If you enjoy it... that's fine... I enjoy The Room... but if you actually think it has merit as a written work... lol

It would be a different story if it was absolutely clear the show knew how stupid it was being... but it was never marketed as a comedy... so it's on the same level as The Room: unintentionally hilarious even though it is trying to be "deep" at times.

https://youtu.be/iIEYuK27qy0

Never coming back here btw since I don't really want to read an essay post because you don't know how to trim down your writing and be concise.
Nov 10, 2021 5:57 AM
Aug 2021
No ofc it is not overrated
Dec 4, 2021 12:04 PM
Dec 2021
no, it is not overrated in my opinion. Greninja.
Dec 26, 2021 4:13 PM

Dec 2021
Its start really good and down really fast, and yea its survival/zombie genre but pair with ecchi which really disgust me, and slowly turn to generic harem anime, i dont think this series good tbh or maybe i didnt like ecchi in survival/zombie film/anime maybe i just stick western zombie movies which did pretty well
Dec 29, 2021 7:03 AM
Jul 2020
well i am dude who like to see damn tits so who give a f

More topics from this board

» Is Rei a virgin or did she lose it with Hisashi?

JusTFoRTroll - Jul 21, 2014

31 by subhamoy »»
Jun 5, 12:56 AM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 12, 2010

255 by greed2 »»
May 31, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

FaithoftheFallen - Aug 8, 2010

491 by Blaybourne »»
May 20, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amphetamine - Jul 4, 2010

1365 by Ksooosavage »»
May 5, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Aug 29, 2010

542 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Apr 25, 11:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.