Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 25, 2020 7:39 AM

Jan 2020
Whenever I see people discuss the Hades arc, specifically the anime adaptation, the general consensus seems to be that the Sanctuary chapter (the first 13 episodes) was great, but the Inferno and Elysion chapters suffered a drop in quality and were bad in comparison. This is also reflected on MAL; the Sanctuary chapter is ranked the highest. But honestly, I have to disagree.

Most people claim that the animation was superb, but I didn't think it was exceptional. There was an abundance of CGI, but the color palette was quite varied, in contrast to the dark environment. This is understandable due to the switch to digital animation, but I still prefer the look and feel of the original anime (props for using Yokoyama's original OST, though).

Apart from the Athena Exclamations, which were quite memorable, the fights were good, but I didn't think they were amazing. The Bronze Saints were barely there and Saori telling them to go away and not fight was dumb. Though, I can see why some might see this as a good thing, as both the alive Gold Saints and the resurrected ones got more screen time.

I also have an issue with the continuity errors, such as Shiryu being blind again for no reason; despite recovering his eyesight earlier, and not losing it during the Poseidon arc in the anime. Or that one flashback showing that Camus trained Hyoga and not the Crystal Saint, who was Hyoga's master in the original series. I understand that those things happened in the manga and the OVA was trying to be faithful to it, but if you look at this as a sequel to the original series, and watch it right after, you can't help but notice the inconsistencies.

And the thing that bothered me the most about this OVA was the opening. It lacked the energy previous openings had, and it felt a little out of place. Saint Seiya has always had amazing openings that are full of energy. This is no Soldier Dream. It's a shame they didn't use Dead or Dead, the song Kageyama had recorded in the early 90s, before the Hades adaptation was canceled back then. The song they ended up using feels like it belongs in a different show.

What exactly makes this portion of the story so much better than the rest? I enjoyed the Inferno chapter more, it had the plot twist involving Shun, and the Wailing Wall, which was the best moment in the entire Hades arc in my opinion. I had no issue with this supposed drop in animation quality. I think it looked fine. And the opening was much closer to what I would expect from the franchise, I liked it.

I know most complaints regarding Inferno and Elysion had less to do with the story and more to do with the production values. I am aware of the whole Heaven Overture movie situation and the cast replacement that ensued. But I didn't think it caused the remaining Hades chapters to be worse. Why do people think this?

Maybe I should give it another chance and rewatch it, but I simply don't get what makes this portion of the story so beloved. It wasn't bad, but to me, it wasn't outstanding either.
EterTCJun 25, 2020 6:31 PM
Jun 26, 2020 7:50 AM
May 2018
I just finished this part and while I definitely think it had some major flaws, I really enjoyed it and would probably say it my favorite part of Saint Seiya yet. I am not exactly the biggest Saint Seiya fan, so I don't think I am the best person to defend these episodes, I'll try my best anyway.

While I agree the animation wasn't "exceptional," I'd say it was generally better than the original series. It felt way more fluid and didn't have as many scenes that felt "cost cutting" as the orginial series. I personally didn't mind the use CGI and found it quite good for being 2002 (although admittedly that is an extremely low bar).

I actually quite liked the fights here, and would probably say the fight between Shaka and Saga, Camus and Shura is favorite in the series yet. I agree that Saori's order for the main characters not to enter the sanctuary was weird and felt very plot convenient, I was quite a big of fan of the change of focus from the main five.

The continuity errors felt very jarring to me at first, but I kinda assumed after a while that it was because of differences between the manga and the anime up to that point. They made this like 13 years after the original anime, I can understand why they wouldn't wanna bother rewriting it to fit with the anime original stuff and just make a straight adaption of manga material.

I really don't see any problem with the opening. A more energetic op wouldn't really fit in my opinion, as these episodes are quite a bit more somber than the original series. The entire chapter basically is about previously comrades having to fight to death due to forces beyond their control. There is definitely a sad tinge to this chapter that the opening reflects quite well, where a more upbeat wouldn't really at all.

I can't talk about how this compares to the other parts of the Hades arc, as I haven't gotten to them yet, but to name something I liked about this OVA is how refreshing it felt after watching three whole arcs with more or less the same exact structure.

For if whether or not should give this another chance; I don't know, when did you watch it last? I don't think watching an episode or two could hurt.
Oct 15, 2020 6:38 PM
Oct 2012
I can understand more the praise from Sanctuary than the hate from Inferno.
From a character-driven standpoint, the Sanctuary was one of the best arcs, the golden saints were greatly fleshed out and all got to do something with a really tragic twist.
From a story standpoint however, it is hardly related to Hades at all, outside of fighting some Specters this is pretty much The Golden Saints Saga as a prologue to the actual Hades Saga that starts in Inferno, which is also a fantastic arc.
I guess people had delusional hopes that the Golden Saints would continue to be the focus instead of the Bronze boys, my only grip with it is that Hyoga and Shiryu were utterly irrelevant.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary Episode 13 Discussion

Monad - Jan 23, 2014

10 by Fang_Tooth »»
Feb 1, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary Episode 12 Discussion

Monad - Jan 22, 2014

9 by wildhood »»
Sep 8, 2023 12:53 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary Episode 11 Discussion

Monad - Jan 22, 2014

7 by wildhood »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:23 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary Episode 1 Discussion

EZSPECIAL - Jan 2, 2013

12 by wildhood »»
Jul 26, 2023 10:02 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary Episode 10 Discussion

Monad - Jan 22, 2014

6 by iamKetranLang »»
Feb 8, 2023 4:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.