Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2019 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
I figured I'd begin a new thread because I'm not really critiquing the episode like everyone else in the episode-discussion-thread. It's actually a really specific detail I wanna mention.

Diego sculpted a lot of notable figures, and one of them was obviously Shanks. What we KNOW about Shanks's crew is that there's FOUR primary figures, including Shanks himself, the fat guy, the guy with the black hair/ponytail, and... none other than... get this: Usopp's father... Yasopp.

HAVING said that, NOTICE how Diego the sculptor only sculpted the THREE primary figures of Shanks crew, COMPLETELY neglecting to sculpt Yasopp. Either that, or he DID, but it was out of the frame. Diego said he sculpted pirates he met... so did he really meet all of Shanks' crew except Yasopp?

BUT THE REASON I BRING THIS UP IS BECAUSE:

Strangely enough, the one other person (besides Chopper) to join Luffy in the wax room is USOPP. The very second I saw Usopp, I was WAITING for him to encounter a statue of his dad, but that moment never came, so I rewinded and saw that a statue of Yasopp didn't even exist. WTF LOL. Isn't that strange?

Here's MY theory: this was all a decision for the sake of production and storytelling. Usopp seeing a statue of his dad would open up a lot of insignificant or irrelevant dialogue. Heck, that might even repel an USOPP-related flashback, since Luffy had one about HIS role model. But WE CAN'T HAVE THAT: because it's the episode of LUFFY. Usopp encountering a statue of his father is too non-Luffy related for an "Episode of Luffy".

Nonetheless, even though I appear to be the only person on the internet to notice this incredibly minor detail, I STILL feel it's too obvious. Right!?

I feel the simple solution would've been to not include 3 of the 4 primary Shanks Crew members amongst the wax figures. Because then you're gonna think "well where's the fourth one" and that opens up unnecessary theories.

So if not 3, then how many of the 4? Well not ALL 4 because we just talked about the Usopp paradox.

But I also don't think 1 either! Including more Shanks-related figures aside from Shanks displays the magnitude of Diego's encounter and the scope of his work.

Two. There should've only been two figures. Remove the fat guy. I think his name's "Lucky Roo". I'm sure he's very powerful considering Oda made his design so flamboyant. But the "black ponytail" dude wielding the rifle seems like the next most capable of the crew, therefore I think only Shanks and the other guy should've been included.

I might be digging into this a little deep, but IN SUMMARY:

***My theory on why Yasopp's wax statue isn't included (drawn into the episode) is because it would clash with the storyline and the production. Usopp would notice the statue -- which would be a "big" thing to happen -- but too "big" and too "irrelevant" for a Luffy-based episode. However, for storyline precision, the staff wanted to include more members of the crew then just Shanks, so they still drew the other two members in, opting to leave out Yasopp. I think the easiest, MOST logical fix'd be to eliminate Lucky Roo's statue. If that were done, I wouldn't have been compelled to write this thesis.***
Jun 14, 2021 12:38 PM

Apr 2018
AlexanderHD said:
I figured I'd begin a new thread because I'm not really critiquing the episode like everyone else in the episode-discussion-thread. It's actually a really specific detail I wanna mention.

Diego sculpted a lot of notable figures, and one of them was obviously Shanks. What we KNOW about Shanks's crew is that there's FOUR primary figures, including Shanks himself, the fat guy, the guy with the black hair/ponytail, and... none other than... get this: Usopp's father... Yasopp.

HAVING said that, NOTICE how Diego the sculptor only sculpted the THREE primary figures of Shanks crew, COMPLETELY neglecting to sculpt Yasopp. Either that, or he DID, but it was out of the frame. Diego said he sculpted pirates he met... so did he really meet all of Shanks' crew except Yasopp?

BUT THE REASON I BRING THIS UP IS BECAUSE:

Strangely enough, the one other person (besides Chopper) to join Luffy in the wax room is USOPP. The very second I saw Usopp, I was WAITING for him to encounter a statue of his dad, but that moment never came, so I rewinded and saw that a statue of Yasopp didn't even exist. WTF LOL. Isn't that strange?

Here's MY theory: this was all a decision for the sake of production and storytelling. Usopp seeing a statue of his dad would open up a lot of insignificant or irrelevant dialogue. Heck, that might even repel an USOPP-related flashback, since Luffy had one about HIS role model. But WE CAN'T HAVE THAT: because it's the episode of LUFFY. Usopp encountering a statue of his father is too non-Luffy related for an "Episode of Luffy".

Nonetheless, even though I appear to be the only person on the internet to notice this incredibly minor detail, I STILL feel it's too obvious. Right!?

I feel the simple solution would've been to not include 3 of the 4 primary Shanks Crew members amongst the wax figures. Because then you're gonna think "well where's the fourth one" and that opens up unnecessary theories.

So if not 3, then how many of the 4? Well not ALL 4 because we just talked about the Usopp paradox.

But I also don't think 1 either! Including more Shanks-related figures aside from Shanks displays the magnitude of Diego's encounter and the scope of his work.

Two. There should've only been two figures. Remove the fat guy. I think his name's "Lucky Roo". I'm sure he's very powerful considering Oda made his design so flamboyant. But the "black ponytail" dude wielding the rifle seems like the next most capable of the crew, therefore I think only Shanks and the other guy should've been included.

I might be digging into this a little deep, but IN SUMMARY:

***My theory on why Yasopp's wax statue isn't included (drawn into the episode) is because it would clash with the storyline and the production. Usopp would notice the statue -- which would be a "big" thing to happen -- but too "big" and too "irrelevant" for a Luffy-based episode. However, for storyline precision, the staff wanted to include more members of the crew then just Shanks, so they still drew the other two members in, opting to leave out Yasopp. I think the easiest, MOST logical fix'd be to eliminate Lucky Roo's statue. If that were done, I wouldn't have been compelled to write this thesis.***

Nice observation man, your observation haki is commendable
Jun 14, 2021 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
ChibiTalha said:

Took me two years of isolation on an island to train my observation haki. 💪

Feels good to finally get some praise for this post almost two years later. 😂 Tyty
Jun 15, 2021 4:04 AM

Apr 2018
AlexanderHD said:
ChibiTalha said:

Took me two years of isolation on an island to train my observation haki. 💪

Feels good to finally get some praise for this post almost two years later. 😂 Tyty

xD. Keep pushing fam, future sight is the next checkpoint

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece: Episode of Luffy - Hand Island no Bouken Episode 1 Discussion

RiukixD - Jan 24, 2013

35 by davidyodo24 »»
Aug 2, 2023 3:58 AM

» Decent Subs Available?

Zorocia - Aug 18, 2013

0 by Zorocia »»
Aug 18, 2013 7:26 PM

» One Piece: Episode of Luffy - Expectations

Monkey_Professor - Dec 1, 2012

23 by redcobrawr »»
Jan 24, 2013 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.