Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 23, 2018 8:41 PM
May 2016
Over the past year I've come across multiple posts and videos calling Tanya a Nazi Loli being and the show being set in Nazi Germany even though the only similarities of the empire and Nazi Germany is that they're both set in Germany(well geographically). I can easily spot three VERY MAJOR differences under thirty seconds looking at their characteristics and settings:

1. The Warfare- The warfare tactics employed by the Empire are mainly second generation and I see no third generation tactics employed which were used by the Nazis back in World War Two.
2. Their Conduct- When the Imperial people salute or their soldiers salute, it's always been something similar to [ ] über Alles(in Prussia's case, it was Deutschland über Alles IIRC), instead of somethinig like Heil [ ] or Heil mein Führer, something used in Nazi Germany.
3. Their Timeline- It was set in the early 1920s, not in mid 20th century and should be the most obvious to anyone with the slightest knowledge of the World Wars. This is basic common knowledge but everyone just brushes it off WTF?!

I was going to rant on their weapons and how they had no tanks but Nazi Germany started off with inferior tanks and it's an alternate universe with magic so their weaponry could very well be different. In addition, expanding on the second point, the Empire did not have a craze regarding the genocide of a particular population or peoples of a race (like the jews) and did not have a fanatic leader so uhh does anyone care to explain to me why my points don't make sense?
Mar 23, 2018 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
It's a joke that Tanya's loli Hitler.
Mar 27, 2018 9:17 PM

Sep 2015
Don't nitpick, the setting is obviously based on Nazi Germany anyways, and her character is also similar to Hitler. I think she even draws that comparison in the show, which is probably where the meme started.
Apr 1, 2018 9:34 PM
Jul 2017
People call her a Nazi Loli because:
1.The place was geographically set in Germany (As you said)
2.The year was close to the Second World War (Quite a few years off but close enough for people)
3. The Empire had similar enemies and similar goals as Nazi Germany
4. Some events were similar(Like the Battle of France)
Through these, most people would pass it off as Nazi Germany

Your point is somewhat correct.
Youjo Senki isn’t really set in Nazi Germany however it’s a mix of the German Empire during World War 1 and Nazi Germany. Almost everything in the anime is a mix of World War 1 and World War 2. Weapons, tactics, events,etc.
For example, in episode 10, the Empire did something similar to Nazi Germany. Cutting off the French in The Benelux Region by using Blitzkrieg. Another example was the Empire stopping their advance and letting the French evacuate and create Free France. It was somewhat similar to Dunkirk but with massive differences. The Fall of France really made it into World War 2 since France never fell in World War 1. World War 1 was shown in the anime through the constant use of trenches.
The timeline in the anime probably mixed both World Wars into one Great War.
Weapons were a mix too. You could see soldiers using World War 1 rifles and uniforms. They also had World War 1 bombers. Fighters planes were never shown because magic replaced it. The ships also seemed to be from World War 1. Constant use of artillery is similar to World War 1. The tanks however are from World War 2.
You said that they had no tanks but in episode 10 you can clearly see Panzer IIIs attacking. I’m a bit miffed when you said Nazi Germany started off with inferior tanks. Even though Nazi Germany mostly had Panzer 1s and 2s at the early part of the war (Panzer 2s were good tanks for what it was being used for in the early parts of the war), they still had some Panzer IIIs and Panzer IVs (Which were very good tanks)
We probably didn’t see the genocides, the author didn’t think it was important, or it was based off the German Empire.
We also never got to see the leader.
Apr 5, 2018 4:17 PM

Apr 2013
Of course it's not. Germany in there is similar to France during the Napoleon Era. Everyone declare war to them but they keep winning, so expanding, and the war just doesn't stop because more countries involve themselves.
There is NO NAZI IDEOLOGY IN THEIR COUNTRY, there IS NO DESIRE TO EXPAND THEIR TERRITORY EITHER.
There is obviously no jew persecutions either and no discutions about it.
Peoples associating Youjo Senki with Nazism has no idea about History. And also, individually the protagonist is extremely different from Hitler.
Feb 21, 2019 3:26 PM

Feb 2017
assuming youjo senki = nazi germany is the easiest way to say after all .
I won't deny they do have few similarities but in reality if we take a close look at em , the deferences between the two are like heaven and earth .
have you heard this thing called , "ppl only see what they want to see"?
Lab_Rat_0978Feb 21, 2019 3:32 PM
Mar 1, 2019 3:49 PM
Oct 2018
I would say it’s a mix of Imperial Germany and Nazi Germany.
The ideology and politics side is closer to the Imperial Germany (more WW1) and the military and tactic side is more Nazi Germany (WW2) even if at the beginning we can see few trench warfare which is more WW1 than WW2
But they are just inspired by these two periods, which does not mean that "it's Nazi Germany" or "it's the German Empire"
Apr 2, 2019 9:01 AM

Apr 2016
It isn't set in Nazi Germany because Nazi Germany doesn't exist in this timeline, a cat isn't a dog because they both walk on 4 feet.
Apr 10, 2019 11:41 PM

Aug 2018
No, it’s a blend of elements from the early 20th century. I can see how sensitive yet dumb souls could be upset, however I have a fairly firm grasp of the difference between reality and fiction.
Oct 6, 2019 2:01 AM

Apr 2014
It's obviously world war 1, most european countries we're like this at the time
"nazi my ass" these are imperial armies, not a fascist dictatorship.

learn something about history?

but of course the average watcher of this anime would call this "fascism" because they have no clue to what fascism is. Tanya is "evil" to piss off the god of reincarnation

the "god" complains about dealing with 7 billion people yet helps her kill more people,
are gods contradictory?
ThatUndeadLegacyOct 6, 2019 2:06 AM
Oct 2, 2020 8:50 AM
Sep 2020
removed-user said:
It's a joke that Tanya's loli Hitler.

Yeah, unfortunately, idiots end up taking it way too seriously.I swear if I see one more review claiming the show sucks because Tanya is a nazi...
Dec 19, 2020 6:15 PM

Oct 2014
WW1 Germany and Nazi Germany are completely different. During WW1 Germany wasnt responsible for the war but were blamed after losing and had a monarchy at the time not in a dictatorship. This is based on WW1 Germany with some WW2 elements. Which is a good thing since that means no Nazis or concentration camps or any of the terrible stuff will be featured. This way we can route for the Empire as its not evil.
Sasuke or Kaneki I can't decide
Mar 24, 2021 6:21 PM

Oct 2020
No it isn't. While it's similar, the timeline doesn't add up as it is always set in the 1920s which would be before the Nazi Party came to power in Germany and also the Empire lacked a supreme leader.

The Empire is just a militaristic country.
Sep 20, 2023 8:39 AM
Sep 2022
I would like to remeber that Youjo Senki is actually inspired in the First World War. It´s easy to understand that by seeing the technologies of the time and even the uniforms of the soldiers. Apart from that, Tanya herself says, in the first part of the anime, that "This is the first world war in this world". I think that´s enough to figure that the anime has nothing to do with nazi Germany. The only thing quite alike are the flags of the Empire and the 3rd reich.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2017

209 by lazypanda666 »»
May 18, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2017

218 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 25, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

313 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2017

448 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 11:41 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

291 by Phixiately »»
Apr 24, 8:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.