Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 5, 2018 12:52 AM

Aug 2015
I finished Apocrypha lol and thought it was very underwhelming because of the garbage plot and horrible MC. Haven't bothered to start this one yet, but Nero looks good. Is it worth a watch if I bothered watching something on the level of quality like Apocrypha?
Mar 5, 2018 4:18 AM

Apr 2014
SlowAnimeWatcher said:
I finished Apocrypha lol and thought it was very underwhelming because of the garbage plot and horrible MC. Haven't bothered to start this one yet, but Nero looks good. Is it worth a watch if I bothered watching something on the level of quality like Apocrypha?

It's difficult to compare both because they're quite different from each other despite both being Fate series.
Apocrypha is a Battle Royale-like Holy Grail War action centered anime with a(subjective) bland MC, Extra by itself was more of a mystery/put pieces together to find what's happening with A Holy Grail War that is a 1x1 per floor in a monster of the week kinda way with an Amnesiac MC trying to find out what they forgot, that is the game, Last Encore is even more of a mystery because despite what Nasu said about it being newcomers-friendly, you need to have the information from playing the game to realize that everything is different from usual and something happened to f*ck everything over.

Otherwise the anime will appear as a rushed, confusing plot with new unknown characters that get killed off after 2 episodes of their introduction, and you'll think the only think worth is Red Saber with her edgy Protagonist Master.

Contrary to what popular(?) opinions may say(mostly loud angry ones) , Extra was made as perfect fit for Shaft's style of animation and they even made the OP for Extra/CCC, so even if people might complain, it would never work for Ufotable's style because of it's difference from the main series, (most)fans of Extra were expecting Shaft to do it and weren't surprised at all.

Bottom of line, fans of the Extra game will mostly be OK with Last Encore or gladly enjoy it, some might not be that satisfied with animation or choice of main servant too(or even the Male/female MC nonsense).
Newcomers will probably only enjoy IF: They either have curiosity about Red Saber; Are intrigued by the mystery behind the story after being told of details from fans(or figuring out on their own); Or they really like Shaft and have no(major) problem with it's way of animation and exposition on-screen.

Just remember, EXTRA is NOT focused on Action like other Fate series, LAST ENCORE even less so.
Mar 5, 2018 4:19 AM

Apr 2016
There are no traps yet, if you looking for that.
Mar 5, 2018 4:27 AM

Feb 2018
It's so different from Apocrypha that it's a bit hard to compare. For one, unlike Apocrypha, the Servants are NOT the focus of this. They're secondary characters. The focus lies on the humans, the setting and the plot. Not the fights between Servants.

Personally, I'd is a huge improvement over Apocrypha. It has far more detailed and interesting setting, a more of a mystery plot keeps me coming back each week, a much better and different MC. And if you like the looks of Nero, you're in for a treat, because they capitalize on her looks a lot. You'll get a lot of nice shots of her.

The biggest problem will be that, as I just said, fights between Servants are not important in this. And since fights are not important, you get a lot of dialogue. Unlike Apocrypha, where most of the Servants survived until the end, this one kills Servants off easily. If two Servants are fighting, one of them is likely going to die. Fights generally don't end without consequences in LE.

If you hate dialogue, just want action, this isn't for you. Personally, I like it.

If you do give it a try, a fair warning. Pick your subs carefully. This one isn't picked by Crunchyroll, so it won't get official subs until it ends, when Netflix releases it. If you aren't willing to wait until it finishes airing and Netflix releases it, you'll need to pick fansubs. Wrong subs, like FMFansubs, can completely ruin the experience. For the first three episode, go only with Chyuu. After that, either APEX or Chyuu will do.
Hate_and_RageMar 5, 2018 4:34 AM
Mar 5, 2018 8:54 AM

May 2012
It is as good as Apocrypha. I liked both a lot

Mar 5, 2018 8:56 AM

May 2015
It's worse than Apocrypha for sure.

Mar 5, 2018 11:29 AM
Jul 2018
Both are bad tbh yeah
Mar 5, 2018 11:49 AM

Jun 2009
So far I like Last Encore better. The mystery aspect is very refreshing and despite not playing the game I can keep up with the plot.
Mar 5, 2018 1:04 PM

Jun 2013
If you think Apocrypha was garbage you won't like this one. dont waste ur time seriously

Personally Its as good as Apocrypha for me

Mar 5, 2018 1:57 PM

Aug 2015
@Kanon191 u laid out a great comparison for the two, so I got a few questions.

How is the main character in Encore? Is he characterized well? Please tell me he isn't super bland.

Also, how's the dialogue in the show? Since you said there was a lot of dialogue, I would hope that it isn't too boring/dumb, so I can enjoy it.

I like Shaft's style a lot and the mystery aspect sounds pretty intriguing, so I will probably pick it up once I'm done some other anime.
Mar 5, 2018 2:23 PM

Apr 2017
If you like Shaft's style I think you'll like Fate/Extra. I'm enjoying so far, it's really different from Apocrypha.
Mar 5, 2018 2:26 PM

Jan 2014
SlowAnimeWatcher said:

na don't watch it. The action in Encore is really bad, and Shaft seems to not care about putting effort into them

Nero is literally the only good thing about the show so far. The other MC is as bad as Sieg from Apocrypha. But with Apocrypha we had lots of other great characters
Mar 5, 2018 3:41 PM

Jan 2018
I was also underwhelmed by Apocrypha, but Last Encore doesn't even feel like Fate.
The story is needlessly convoluted and doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. The whole virtual setting feels just weird and the action is also pretty bad.
The MC is plain boring and his servant is just so annoying.
I'm basically only watching it for the enemy servants, who unfortunately don't get a lot of screen time.
Mar 5, 2018 3:41 PM

Apr 2014
SlowAnimeWatcher said:
@Kanon191 u laid out a great comparison for the two, so I got a few questions.

How is the main character in Encore? Is he characterized well? Please tell me he isn't super bland.

Also, how's the dialogue in the show? Since you said there was a lot of dialogue, I would hope that it isn't too boring/dumb, so I can enjoy it.

I like Shaft's style a lot and the mystery aspect sounds pretty intriguing, so I will probably pick it up once I'm done some other anime.

Ok, I'll try to answer without giving any major spoilers.

I'll start by saying that the MC in the game is a self insert(hence the choose gender complaints), his/hers main characteristic is to make the player feel like they are in the world of fate(it was advertised as such as well), although there are some adaptations such as manga, drama cds that gave the male one a "bland"(subjective) personality, but that is actually an important point because
, the MC of the anime is very different from the game, the game one had only two priorities, survival and recover their memories, the anime is also amnesiac but he doesn't care or want to recover them, instead he is filled with hatred
and an unexplained obsession to climb to the top floor, he also was devoid of emotions at the beginning but as episodes went on he started to show sadness, sympathy, etc.

There are a lot of dialogue as this is centered on the mystery behind what's happening and it does references the original game a lot, it isn't dumb but it might be confusing without proper knowledge(knowing basic information such as codecasts, master command seals,etc.), if you've already been exposed to Shaft's way then it only depends if the lore/story of Extra manages to keep your interest.

Since you like the mystery aspect there's a chance you might stick with it, but if it gets too confused I advise you to read a brief synopsis of the contents of the original game to get an idea of the world as it is quite different of other fate series, also ask around, fans will explain it better since the anime kinda expects you to be a least familiarized with Extra so it will not spoon-feed you unless it's related to new content.
Kanon191Mar 5, 2018 3:49 PM
Mar 5, 2018 3:43 PM
Jun 2017
I'll be honest at first I am not so sure of what i can say about Apocrypha since aside from it has too many characters (that i cant just easily follow through them all), but as when the story flows and fight scenes started im gonna like it especially the second cour of the show. My problem is that with the animation in some parts of it but I LIKE IT AS A WHOLE!!!

Fate last encore well I am not a fan of how it was presented, i mean i didnt play the game so im interested in watching it but sadly the fight scenes is way so short, the backstory or intro to the floor has already alloted one episode (which is fine for me) but the next episode is still almost a backstory that the fight scenes were i guess only few minutes and you will realized that its already finished and going to ascend already...
Mar 5, 2018 7:50 PM
Jul 2018
I would say that Fate Extra is pretty much underwhelming. Not awful, but certainly not perfect.

Apocrypha suffered more from the writing stance where as Extra suffered from both character and writing since the main focus on Extra is the mystery aspect, and even then the mystery aspect of the series feels rather off-putting considering that aside from one thing I'm intrigued (which is about Hakuno) then there's not a lot going for.

Production has been falling off here and there and sometimes it feels and looks as if it was rather disjointed. It doesn't really look like it would be a work from the director with the exception of episode 6 where it showed Madoka Magica vibes, and even then the characters stand-out more than the backgrounds.

But even with the complaints I don't think it's that awful or bad. I prefer Apocrypha due to while the story wasn't as intriguing in the end, I did felt the sense that the characters had a fair share of trait that I can remember them by. Extra doesn't really have that, and characters are the main important factor of the show. Aside from Nero and Hakuno, most of them are just... there.

Aside from background, they serve no actual legitimate ground aside from them making progress within the story, with no actual trait aside from maybe one which is recently from the recent episode. Which makes the experience for me lackluster since I do want to invest in the cast, yet the show doesn't do that. That's my biggest gripe within the series.
removed-userMar 5, 2018 7:54 PM
Mar 5, 2018 8:35 PM

Aug 2015
@LeSponge

I admit that how I talked about Apocrypha was a lot more negative than I actually rated it, which was a 6.

There were some great fight scenes in the second half (mainly the 1v1 fist fight scene and the final sword fight).

Also the soundtrack was very good. The main theme grew on me a lot.
Mar 6, 2018 3:23 AM
Sep 2016
This is easily the worst Fate anime
Don't bother
1.1.Six
Mar 6, 2018 3:33 AM

Nov 2011
Apocrypha has good fight at least.

Mar 6, 2018 3:36 AM
Jan 2016
I have only watched the first episodes of both series(read: take my advice with a grain of salt), & from those I would say Last Encore has better first episode. Apocrypha's was chokeful of awkwardly presented exposition & explanation. Does that mean Last Encore better than Apocrypha overall? I do not know. Probably. I am not sure. That's just my impression of their respective premiere episode.
Mar 7, 2018 11:03 PM

Jun 2013
It is difficult to compare them as they are very different in tone, moral of the story and characters.

But the basic difference:

-Apocrypha anime follows the story of Apocrypha LN with some 80% accuracy.

-Last Encore serves as a sequel to Extra game and prequel to Extella game.

So while you can watch Apocryhpa from episode 1 and enjoy the development of story and characters here you have to know details from the game to truly enjoy it.

And while Apocrypha has big fights ( it;s 7 vs 7 with additional 2 Rulers after all ) Extra is limited to one fight with 2 Servants per "level" if you will.

So my advise is - play Extra game before watching this.
Mar 10, 2018 2:36 PM

Mar 2012
It's miles worse than Apocrypha. Don't even bother.
Mar 11, 2018 4:59 AM

Nov 2014
Apocrypha was dumb but the story at least made sense and the fights were good, we also Astolfo and Mordred around to carry the show. Extra has Umu, that's it, that's it's one redeeming quality.

So my advise is - play Extra game before watching this.

My incentive to play extra has gone down since starting this anime.
Forum Signature
Mar 11, 2018 2:09 PM
Jul 2007
SlowAnimeWatcher said:

Apocrypha was just your cliche battle-royale anime. In Fate/Extra, you actually have to pay attention. If you want more clever dialogue and deeper conversations, you will like Fate/Extra, especially if you like SHAFT's artstyle. Plus, Nasu is supervising Extra, unlike Apocrypha. I mean... if you think about how much thought probably goes into SHAFT's artstyle to mind**** you, you will realize how much more effort was put into Extra's anime than Apocrypha. Apocrypha is only trying to tell a story and puts no 'extra' effort into trying to make the viewer feel any more or any less, which is why I assume you'd view it as garbage. That is not the case with Extra. Extra only has the lower rating because it requires a higher attention span due to the lack of action, and it has alienated some of the people who are fan of the source material by going with an original story route from what I gathered. Also, it just leaves people completely unfamiliar with the Nasuverse in the dust. A casual Fate watcher most likely would be turned off expecting a lot of action. It really is underrated.

Let me put it this way. A 5-year old will appreciate Apocrypha, but they won't be able to wrap their minds around Fate/Extra because of how complex it is and because it relies more on character development than action to move the plot. I predict you will like Fate Extra more than Apocrypha. I'll admit I'm slightly biased towards EXTRA, but I'd prefer complex and boring over something that was obviously too generic/Shounen. Go into Extra expecting it as a slight parody of FATE and you will be satisfied.

eraltergMar 11, 2018 2:27 PM
Mar 11, 2018 4:28 PM
Dec 2015
Haven't seen Apocrypha, but this definitely isn't your typical Fate.
This is very dialogue-oriented, stylized work that you probably will appreciate if you:

1) played the Fate/Extra game (to which this is a sequel). Nasu himself apparently said that this was even for people beforehand not familiar with Extra spinoff.
However, without playing the game prior to this it's even more confusing.

2) are into Shaft's works - focus on head tilts, artsy visuals, etc. If you like Monogatari or Madoka, you might find this interesting just for this sole reason.

Overall this is a pretty complex work, just the fight scenes aren't as flashy as many people expect from Fate and there's only fansubs by now, thus the low score.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

119 by bl3nk_anime »»
Apr 23, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

210 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2018

72 by Selleri_UmU »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.