Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 7, 2017 9:16 PM
Jul 2009
I've been an avid fan of this franchise since experiencing its greatest installment: Melty Blood Actress Again.

The original anime, Fate/Stay Night, was basically a bland shonen with some cool ideas about mythology, and a magic CG dragon during a sex scene. Not a bad show by any means.

Fate/Zero, written by a completely different author, is fucking astounding. The characters have actual depth and purpose, the story actually has a message that comes across in the telling rather than having a prissy Japanese teen monologue to himself about the themes for 20 episodes, and the art is absolutely beautiful, courtesy of ufotable, a studio that clearly works its employees way too hard.

Then Unlimited Blade Works came out. Episode 0 was pretty okay, mostly courtesy of starring a tolerable character. However, the actual content of the show was completely unwatchable, as every episode featured the most unlikable, moronic, incompetent and worthless protagonist I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing in animation. The plot was forced to bend itself backwards to accommodate the openly suicidal and homicidal actions of this complete idiot, culminating in the events of season 2 where the writing was so far up its own ass it was legally considered to be spelunking.

Now that Fate/Apocrypha is out, I'm curious. MAL community, is this show as soul-crushingly miserable as Unlimited Blade Works?
FMA:B OUTDATED noot KIMI NO NA WA OVERRATED noot LONG HAVE WE WAITED noot PINGU IN THE CITY WAS CREATED noot
Nov 7, 2017 9:27 PM

Oct 2017
I agree completely, F/SN UBW sucked hard compared to F/Z and Shirou is an obnoxious little shit.

Anyway this show is lackluster too, at least there isn't an annoying MC like Shirou. But there are way too many characters though, the animation & art are awful and the plot is dull.

Honestly apart from F/Z this franchise is trash.

Nov 8, 2017 1:21 AM

May 2014
Not having a Shirou as MC is already a bonus that automatically places Apocrypha above UBW. Even so, this show is pretty meh, but not for all the same reasons as UBW.

In this case the plot is slightly different and more focused to the war, is more honest with itself and goes straight to the point, basically it's more like a shounen action so it can be more enjoyable if you ignore the large and in its majority plain and dull cast of character and its questionable plot development when, like UBW, almost all happen "because it's magic". By other side, the "villain" in this serie seems like a pathetic try from Nasu part of force Shirou as if he was a good character: the name, his motivation and his stupid ideals are almost the same, and he is almost equal of glorified by the same serie as Shirou is! But in this case he is less annoying, stubborn and incompetent than the original. But hey! I insist there are several decent characters over there.

tl;dr: Watch it for the slightly different plot and one than another waifu and husbando, but it's almost more of the same.
Rhapsody-Nov 8, 2017 1:43 AM
Nov 8, 2017 1:31 AM

Jan 2013
Poopcrypha is easily the shittiest part of Fate.

Not a fair comparison though since UBW is actually good.
Nov 8, 2017 1:36 AM

Jun 2014
UBW was bad and overrated so I hope not.
Nov 8, 2017 11:18 AM

Sep 2015
No, it's much worse.
Nov 8, 2017 2:19 PM

Aug 2017
The true protag of Apo Sieg is far, far worse than Shirou. Say what you will about Shirou but fuck he had something of a personality, goal & worked more or less for his shit.

Sieg is the most infuriatingly boring protagonist I've seen in recent years. None of his powers are earned, he has the charisma of a block of wood & he has such an underwhelming character arc that it barely qualifies as one. In a cast of potentially interesting characters his constant focus to the detriment of literally everyone else brings down the show as a whole.

The worse part is he's gonna bang Joan of Arc in a very forced romance & I feel so terrible for the poor woman to be forced into such an unnecessary relationship with a boring-ass OC character obviously designed to pander to all the horny little middle/high-school boys back home.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Nov 8, 2017 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
I would say yes but then at the same time no.

Never thought that UBW was bad to begin with to be honest, I thought it was good buuuuut, Apocrypha is below UBW for me as of now (I would give it between a 6-7/10), which is in the middle of the stuff that I've watched in terms of Fate animes.
Nov 8, 2017 3:07 PM

Sep 2016
any fate other than zero is garbage. maybe except 2006 stay night, and thats only because i was a kid when i watched it so it looked good.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Nov 8, 2017 3:14 PM
Apr 2017
Unlimited Blade Works featured at least a superior animation, it was faithful enough to the original Visual Novel's route, and it had some actually good characters (though I have to admit the protagonist can be an acquired taste).

Apocrypha has none of these. Sieg is a monstrously bland carbon-copy of Shirou, perhaps a hair smarter(-looking), but far more woobie and incredibly bidimensional. Ruler is yet another Saber clone (which, sadly enough, makes two in one series) with a far more noticeable Mary Sue streak that is only partially justified by her being a saint/martyr and all. The other characters are barely defined at all.

On the technical compartment, it's quite mediocre, and the plot is pretty dang boring. I think I'm only watching it because of inertia and a fair dose of loyalty to the Fate franchise at this point. So far, it's 4-5/10.
Nov 8, 2017 3:29 PM

Jan 2015
I've heard this is worse than UBW and I'm pretty sure it's true. I didn't bother watching Apocrypha because I could tell I wouldn't like it.
Nov 8, 2017 4:45 PM

Nov 2016
its way worse than UBW. Jeanne looks like trash character in here, fuck Sieg and Asstolfo.
Nov 8, 2017 5:15 PM

Jan 2014
Short answer: yes. Long answer: hell yes.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 8, 2017 5:32 PM

May 2012
Fate/Apocrypha in my opinion is one of the best fate anime (maybe just behind fate/zero). The action in Apocrypha is so intense and has more fights than UBW. Also, this Apocrypha had much more content per episode than UBW. I don't remember alot of stuff happened in UBW.

Terrours said:
Unlimited Blade Works featured at least a superior animation, it was faithful enough to the original Visual Novel's route, and it had some actually good characters (though I have to admit the protagonist can be an acquired taste).

Animation ?! So what ? thats seem like weak reason to like an anime. The fights in Apocrypha were longer, more intense and had more fights than UBW. Apocrypha had many episode with non-stop action from start to finish

Faithful to original novel ?! Another weak reason to like anime, specially for anime only watcher like me. Just because something is faitful does not mean it is good (what if the visual novel intself is shit for example, faitful adaptation will make it equally shit)

Apocrypha has lot of good characer like rider of black, carna, saber of red etc

I personally like all fate anime. But Apocrypha was more entertaining for me than UBW

Nov 10, 2017 5:56 AM
Apr 2017
thepath said:
Animation ?! So what ? thats seem like weak reason to like an anime. The fights in Apocrypha were longer, more intense and had more fights than UBW. Apocrypha had many episode with non-stop action from start to finish

Nah, man, it would be weak if you judged a 1990 anime by 2017 standards. However, I'm judging a 2017 anime by 2017 standards. Also, I lol'd at "animation is a weak reason to like an ANIMATED SERIES but the length and number of fights isn't".

Also, the number of fights and their length matters very little if they all look like utter garbage. Quality over quantity, mate.

I can concede that faithfulness to the original work is not influential to somebody who has never read the Visual Novel, and I've never read Apocrypha's light novels either, so...

thepath said:
Apocrypha has lot of good characer like rider of black, carna, saber of red etc

All of these characters are incredibly flat and archetypical, Carna above all, who embodies the "super cool and stylish aloof badass" type of character you can find everywhere, and almost always with a far more fleshed out characterization. Astolfo is a manic pixie dream trap, and Mordred is the rebellious girl with a heart of gold, as well as the other Arthuria clone I mentioned.

I'm replying mostly because of the first part though.

Nov 10, 2017 6:46 AM

Mar 2016
Look at all these edgelorda that hate UBW when it's almost as good as fate/zero
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2017 7:02 AM

Feb 2015
The amount of edgelord replies from keyboard warriors is what keeps the fandom amusing.I really hope it never changes :)
Nov 10, 2017 9:20 AM

Feb 2014
Extect said:
laidellent said:
The amount of edgelord replies from keyboard warriors is what keeps the fandom amusing.I really hope it never changes :)

You guys nailed it....
Nov 10, 2017 11:53 AM
Nov 2017
Now I've read every other comment I wanna make something clear.
I like Fate.

But some things stand out
* I fell asleep while watching fate/Stay night
* I hated fate/zero
* I loved UBW and comparing the animation to Apocrypha would be absurd since the animation in UBW was way ahead of it's time.
* I watched fate/kaleid liner Prisma illya. Let's leave it at that.
* And lastly I've never noticed anything bad about the animation in Fate/Apocrypha but the fights guys, mordred is the basic best girl of the series. The armor of Siegfried and mordred is just so interesting that I just wanna see them more on the screen. My favourite fate anime is simply just fate/Apocrypha
Nov 10, 2017 12:11 PM

Oct 2017
Extect said:

So because you say so its true? UBW sucked ass for many, nothing to do with being an edgelord. It was just generic shit in every way with one of the most annoying MC's ever. It had none of the things that made F/Z so compelling, felt like your typical battle shounen

Nov 10, 2017 12:11 PM

Oct 2017
laidellent said:

Seems like someone is hiding how triggered he is by the amount of UBW bashing, this post seems passive agressive. The only amusing thing is seeing insecure F/SN fans get salty, always fun to see.
Nov 10, 2017 2:05 PM

Mar 2016
Aardwolf94 said:
Extect said:

So because you say so its true? UBW sucked ass for many, nothing to do with being an edgelord. It was just generic shit in every way with one of the most annoying MC's ever. It had none of the things that made F/Z so compelling, felt like your typical battle shounen

Don't you know? My taste is considered objectively godlike. I dont really see how you think its that generic of a series. I haven't seen many generic series that show a main character with a hero complex as being a bad thing but I'll believe you because you've seen like 100 series so you must know all the most common tropes. in fact fate/zero's mc did the same thing, except it was showing the negatives of an anti-hero, though a lot of people don't get that point and just think he's cool while seeing Shiro as an annoying character. If someone dislikes both shows i wouldnt find them edgy though. But i consider people who act like fate/zero is deep and philosophical while calling UBW high school garbage edgy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2017 2:29 PM

Sep 2016
Extect said:
"anyone who dislike my fav animu is edgelords"

ecksdee
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Nov 10, 2017 2:43 PM

Mar 2016
GangsterCat said:
Extect said:

ecksdee

Actually tho. My favorite anime is fate/zero
Nov 10, 2017 3:36 PM

Oct 2017
Extect said:
Aardwolf94 said:

Don't you know? My taste is considered objectively godlike. I dont really see how you think its that generic of a series. I haven't seen many generic series that show a main character with a hero complex as being a bad thing but I'll believe you because you've seen like 100 series so you must know all the most common tropes. in fact fate/zero's mc did the same thing, except it was showing the negatives of an anti-hero, though a lot of people don't get that point and just think he's cool while seeing Shiro as an annoying character. If someone dislikes both shows i wouldnt find them edgy though. But i consider people who act like fate/zero is deep and philosophical while calling UBW high school garbage edgy.

I just preferred having a great ensemble cast full of adults (lead by a compelling anti hero) & a proper battle royale atmosphere. Its just much more interesting than having yet another anime with teenagers, highschool shit and a typical naive hero MC. It also never felt like a proper war to me in UBW, the premise was wasted to show Shirou's boring personal Journey.

And while Kiritsugu suffered for his ideals, Shirou didn't. In fact he got a cheesy happy ending with him defeating the cartoony Gilgamesh via power up and getting the tsundere girl...so his hero complex wasn't so bad after all

So overall it definitely felt generic compared to F/Z and kind of sucked, at least for me.
Nov 10, 2017 3:49 PM
Jul 2018
GangsterCat said:
Extect said:

ecksdee

We are talking about an community that can't respect eachothe a lotr :V
Nov 10, 2017 4:56 PM

May 2013
CondemneDio said:

I agree. UBW might not have the best plot, but it still has high quality animation.

Now Apocrypha not only does not have a compeling plot, it's also not particularly well animated.

I guess we couldn't expect the same level of detail from A-1 Pictures as Ufotable had had with the series.

I have high hopes for Fate/Extra - Last Encore though, since Shaft will be animating it.
Nov 10, 2017 5:00 PM

Nov 2009
It's about as good as the rest of the Fate series which is not a whole lot. In its defense, at least it doesn't spend nearly as much time discussing about ideals and pretentious quibbling about what it means to be a king by characters that couldn't be less faithful to their actual historical selves.

Just treat it like any of the Tales of games in the last decade: stay for the flashy fighting and combat and fast forward/toggle mute whenever the story comes up because you are most likely to find better writing in fanfictions.
Nov 10, 2017 10:47 PM

Jan 2013
telmo_trooper said:
CondemneDio said:

I agree. UBW might not have the best plot, but it still has high quality animation.

Now Apocrypha not only does not have a compeling plot, it's also not particularly well animated.

I guess we couldn't expect the same level of detail from A-1 Pictures as Ufotable had had with the series.

I have high hopes for Fate/Extra - Last Encore though, since Shaft will be animating it.

Comparing A-1 Pictures anime to Ufotable anime is like comparing a rock to pizza in a food contest.
Nov 10, 2017 11:35 PM

Oct 2014
telmo_trooper said:

Don't expect Fate/Extra to have "compelling plot"

But yeah, with Shaft in charge at least the animation will look good, or interesting.
Nov 11, 2017 3:28 AM

Aug 2014
"Alright the title says it all, let's see if this post is the usual "stay night is shounen shit with stupid MC, Zero is the real deal, dark and mature and stuff" repeated over and over like a pointless buzzword mantra..."

Yup

Nothing more to do here for me, sorry
Nov 11, 2017 3:29 AM

Feb 2015
Aardwolf94 said:
laidellent said:

Seems like someone is hiding how triggered he is by the amount of UBW bashing, this post seems passive agressive. The only amusing thing is seeing insecure F/SN fans get salty, always fun to see.

Not really,you won't see me posting in subforums related to anime which I personally don't like.But you on the other hand play a different ball game. Sorry to burst your bubble but, it does identify as your lack in life.Don't worry,being a keyboard warrior in an anonymous forum is a phase you will eventually get out of.....hopefully :)

You remind me of that nude fat emperor who was so proud of his apparel that he didn't consider other people's opinions until he got busted.
laidellentNov 11, 2017 3:39 AM
Nov 11, 2017 3:37 AM
Jan 2016
The little amount that I have watched, it's worse.
Nov 11, 2017 3:51 AM

Mar 2014
LOLWUT? UBW is the vastly superior anime compared to this.

Kek, this sectarian hate for the UBW anime is sad & cringe.
Nov 11, 2017 4:28 AM

Aug 2015
Although UBW is quite bad compared to Zero or Night but still for me atleast it still is way better than apocrypha in almost every aspect.
be it animation,character design (just look at the childish designs of apocrypha characters),music and story

Fate/apocrypha is possibly the worst fate series in every aspect (especially animation)
Nov 11, 2017 4:36 AM
Captain Eyepatch

Dec 2015

Fate/Apocrypha is the worst show in the fate-series so far:

- Fate/Stay night was decent. Afcourse the animation by studio Deen wasn't very eyecathing, but the story + characters were well executed

- Fate/Zero was a beautiful animated show with fantastic fightscenes, interesting characters and a mindblowing artstyle

- Fate/Stay night Unlimited Bladeworks had almost the same quality as Fate/Zero. The problem was that the story was very similar to Fate/Stay Night because it was the second of 3 routes. Other than that; the show wasn't bad at all.

- *Carnival Phantasm is the best parody show I've seen. It was a shame that half of it was from the show 'Shingetsutan Tsukihime'.

- *Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya is... ehhm.. not my cup of tea, but it has some quality animation and a... pretty ok story

MEANWHILE
Fate/Apocrypha has a quality below Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks with some aweful written characters.

The cast of characters was way to big and not interesting, combined with a aweful plot.

So...thinking that Fate/Stay night Unlimited Bladeworks is bad... will probably change IF you see Fate/Apocrypha. But...

I'd recommend you to skip it.
Nov 11, 2017 5:13 AM

Mar 2016
Dinoe said:

Fate/Apocrypha is the worst show in the fate-series so far:

- Fate/Stay night was decent. Afcourse the animation by studio Deen wasn't very eyecathing, but the story + characters were well executed

- Fate/Zero was a beautiful animated show with fantastic fightscenes, interesting characters and a mindblowing artstyle

- Fate/Stay night Unlimited Bladeworks had almost the same quality as Fate/Zero. The problem was that the story was very similar to Fate/Stay Night because it was the second of 3 routes. Other than that; the show wasn't bad at all.

- *Carnival Phantasm is the best parody show I've seen. It was a shame that half of it was from the show 'Shingetsutan Tsukihime'.

- *Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya is... ehhm.. not my cup of tea, but it has some quality animation and a... pretty ok story

MEANWHILE
Fate/Apocrypha has a quality below Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks with some aweful written characters.

The cast of characters was way to big and not interesting, combined with a aweful plot.

So...thinking that Fate/Stay night Unlimited Bladeworks is bad... will probably change IF you see Fate/Apocrypha. But...

I'd recommend you to skip it.
This. you know hehe.
Nov 11, 2017 8:35 AM

Jul 2014
As I've already reached ep 19, this is just as bad if not more than UBW.
Bad animation, bad characters (seriously, cant even relate nor understand anyone's plans or where the hell the plot wants to even go) the character designs are meh besides Jeanne (waifu material indeed) well basically yeah, the only good thing about this is Jeanne.
Nov 11, 2017 9:04 AM

Oct 2017
laidellent said:
Aardwolf94 said:

Not really,you won't see me posting in subforums related to anime which I personally don't like.But you on the other hand play a different ball game. Sorry to burst your bubble but, it does identify as your lack in life.Don't worry,being a keyboard warrior in an anonymous forum is a phase you will eventually get out of.....hopefully :)

You remind me of that nude fat emperor who was so proud of his apparel that he didn't consider other people's opinions until he got busted.

So only blind fans can post in subforums? What kind of thinking is that? That way there would never be any sort of meaningful discussion and instead "fans" jerking of to each other all the time. I'm sure you would like that

You are the one who has watched almost 800 anime and I'm the one with no life? bruh make sense
Aardwolf94Nov 11, 2017 9:07 AM
Nov 11, 2017 9:16 AM

Feb 2015
Aardwolf94 said:
laidellent said:

So only blind fans can post in subforums? What kind of thinking is that? That way there would never be any sort of meaningful discussion and instead "fans" jerking of to each other all the time

You are the one who has watched almost 800 anime and I'm the one with no life? bruh make sense

You literally don't try to comprehend any opinion other than yours.Thats not a discussion. Thats try hard attempt to get self validation.

And so now you are using strawman fallacy to discount a legitimate observation by looking up my number of anime.I bet it took you quite a few hours for an "adequate" reply.

The difference between us I don't waste my time bothering with things I don't like while you continue to keep on trying hard to prove whatever inane points you want to prove in topics that goes beyond your comprehension skill and try to validate it by using buzzwords after every 2 sentences even more so,when people actually want to talk about it.

As I said before ,you are literally the modern version of that delusional fat emperor while in this case,the difference is you are a keyboard warrior with a lot of spare time talking about stuff he "hates" than the ones which actually gathers his "interests".

Congratulations you will be ignored from now on.
Nov 11, 2017 5:24 PM
Jul 2009
K, thanks everyone. I've taken all of your recommendations into account and I'm going to give this show a pass even though it sounds more interesting than UBW.
FMA:B OUTDATED noot KIMI NO NA WA OVERRATED noot LONG HAVE WE WAITED noot PINGU IN THE CITY WAS CREATED noot
Nov 12, 2017 3:29 AM
Jan 2010
It's worse than UBW, way better than zero though obviously.
Nov 13, 2017 6:35 AM

Sep 2014
I would consider UBW and Zero to be of equal quality they both have stuff that I really like and stuff that really annoys me. Neither of them are of the same standard as the Heavens feel route. Apocrypha is good but not great that handles some things better than Zero and some things worse.
Jul 12, 2021 2:23 AM
Sep 2020
I'm at episode 9 UBW I Just watched fate/Zero I'm about to stop watching UBW it's inconsistent, one dimensional characters and FMD enough of the highschool drama. My mind was thoroughly enthralled leaving me to ponder on the episode I watched UBW is bland in comparison. I feel myself getting stupider watching UBW. Extremely disappointed.
Aug 12, 2022 3:12 AM
Jul 2022
Fate ubw was a edgy shonen , it made me lose brain cells , i don't even wanna bother with this series anymore .
Aug 21, 2022 1:42 AM

Dec 2020
Dude I completely agree with your opinions on the franchise !!!

And about the question , F/A is better than F/SN UBW for me

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

Sep 13, 2022 1:50 PM

Mar 2020
In what world is this dumpsterfire in any comparable to a good show like Unlimited Blade Works?

More topics from this board

» A Guide to Fate/Apocrypha

OneBetta - Mar 14

2 by OneBetta »»
Mar 14, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

97 by TheBiggestAm »»
Mar 9, 7:31 PM

» Who is your favorite character from Apocrypha?

Omarumba - Feb 25

28 by Manthors »»
Mar 1, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2017

278 by PirateHasan »»
Jan 5, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

86 by PirateHasan »»
Dec 28, 2023 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.