Forum Settings
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 24, 2017 5:05 AM

Jan 2015
I don't know you guys, but it bothers me a lot. Not just the main characters, but even the supporting characters

Is there a reason behind it?
Jun 24, 2017 5:15 AM

Oct 2013
maybe the author was lazy
or maybe they want to illustrate that regardless of time period there will be men and women of the same kind in regards to out looks to life or something along that
Jun 24, 2017 5:43 AM
Feb 2017
I think there is a reason other than the author being lazy

Something about different eras same kinds of people sounds appropriate
Jun 24, 2017 5:58 AM

Nov 2011
Because making new characters that look like the main characters are sooo cool.

Jun 24, 2017 3:46 PM
Oct 2015
Sora, Shiro, and Stephanie are reincarnations of Riku, Shuvi, and Corone. And they continue there where their previous lives wasn't able to succeed.
Jun 24, 2017 3:52 PM

Oct 2014
lazyness of course
reusing character designs is the way to go when you can not be bothered to think of new ones
to be fair i am expecting some bullshit in series reasoning
Jun 24, 2017 9:54 PM
Feb 2017
Author can clearly invent a great variety of character designs, so I don't think it's laziness. There's plot significance.
Jun 28, 2017 7:35 AM
Mar 2015
from the light novel spoilers: (not major)

the story is told by tet to izuna and she actually questions him about the similarity and he says he might have altered a few things to make it correlate.
Jun 28, 2017 5:29 PM
Jun 2017
Maybe a war broke out,then they went into hiding for survival
Jul 2, 2017 3:18 PM

Jul 2010
- These characters live in a different age and has no chance to exist simultaneously with our MCs.
- Their story is told from imagination and memory (I guess by Steph). When you use your imagination, you take something as reference. It is extremely hard to create new facial features in your imagination.
- They are MCs of this chapter so the person who tells the story bases them off the MCs.

Combining these reasons, I don't see a problem them being alike to our MCs.
Nov 30, 2017 8:23 PM

Jul 2012
Sora and Shiro are the reincarnation of Riku and Shuvi. Riku offered his life to Tet when he asked for the chess piece at the end. Why did Tet bring Sora and Shiro back to the game world in the first place. Tet is the one true god and he knows.
よろしく!
Feb 13, 2018 10:28 AM
Nov 2012
0h4t3a said:
Sora, Shiro, and Stephanie are reincarnations of Riku, Shuvi, and Corone. And they continue there where their previous lives wasn't able to succeed.

I love this interpretation. Whatever the real reason is, I don't care, I like this one XD
Feb 24, 2018 7:57 AM
Jul 2018
When riku dying, he hope that in the next life riku and shuvi will play together and win together against other races in the game without blood and death.
Sora shiro and the other character are reincarnation of the character in the ngnl zero. Thats why tet bring kuhaku to disboard, to play again with riku’s reincarnation and fulfill riku’s hope.
That is what i think. Sorry for my bad english
Feb 25, 2018 2:57 PM

Jan 2018
There's no way that the characters are similar due to laziness, are you serious? Their personalities and beliefs are the same too! For instance, "we are ghosts" from the movie and "The Blank" from NGNL. Even the voice actors are the same, who goes to that extent? Obviously, they want you to see that Sora and Shiro are the reincarnations of Riku and Schwi.

SirKurt said:
- Their story is told from imagination and memory (I guess by Steph). When you use your imagination, you take something as reference. It is extremely hard to create new facial features in your imagination.
No no, didn't you see that Tet is the one telling the story?

ariacelesta said:
Riku offered his life to Tet when he asked for the chess piece at the end. Why did Tet bring Sora and Shiro back to the game world in the first place. Tet is the one true god and he knows.
Thank you!!

That's what I think anyway.

. .  ·        
* ✹   
        ✫ * .     *
  ⊹             ⋆

"いいえ"      

✧ ⋆   profile | anime list | manga list   ⋆ ✧
Feb 27, 2018 11:35 AM

Dec 2015
Tbh in LN if I remember well Izuna told to Tet that he lied , because Riku and Schuvi are too similar to Sora and Shiro , Tet told that it's obvious that he imagine tham as Sora and Shiro because they are really similar but not the reincarnation .
Why Tet brang Sora and Shiro to his world ? It's pretty easy to make a theory , look in the movie he said that he got a draw for the first time , he is the God of the games so probably for these 6 thousands years no one beat him in chess , after losing against Sora and Shiro he just took them to his world cause they are humans and better than Riku and Schuvi :) ( ofc it's my theory so it's not the truth information )
Feb 28, 2018 4:21 AM
Jan 2014
Quoting directly from the LN:

"As soon as Tet finished telling his story with a distance gaze, Izuna open her mouth:
-This story, how much is true and how much is lie, desu?
Her look sayed something as 'depending on how much is lie, I won't forgive you'. Tet laught it.
-Why do you think anything is a lie?"
-Riku and Schuwi... Look a bit like Sora and Shiro, Desu. Don't think I'm a idiot, desu.
She moved her nose as to say that she can see this even without using her werebeast instinct. Her gaze sayed that she knew that was being tricked.
-Haha! You really are smart, yes! I let the things more dramatics, of course.
[...]
-Because it wouldn't be "a legend" that shouldn't be told!
[...]
Yes, Tet put in a little of drama in the story. But, the two that made him want to create this world, the "Disboard", seem like those two, "kuuhaku"... but "only a little". That is because they are stronger than Sora and Shiro. Much more[...]"

If someone who has the Vol 6 of the LN wants to check it, it was from page 410-412 althought my edition is from Brazil so probaly the pages will be different but is from the chapter "Ending talk".
Feb 28, 2018 6:08 PM

Apr 2016
It is possible to lie though, Tet doesn't have to tell Izuna or Shiro and Sora the truth. It seems like they are reincarnations of eachother, though Shwi was a robot so its more like Shiro was designed to be like Shwi.
Feb 28, 2018 8:44 PM

Oct 2010
They may not be reincarnations in canon, if that's what the LN implies, but I don't think Schwi being an artificial intelligence rules it out.

If we're positing

1) A world governed by magic
2) Biological organisms have immortal souls which reincarnate
3) A mechanical organism can truly learn to love

does it necessarily follow that

4) Mechanical organisms cannot have souls?

Or is that just what our own culture's tradition tells us?

"Number 5: those guys' rules mean nothing to us."

NGNL is a highly romantic narrative. As in romanticism.
Mar 1, 2018 7:56 AM

Jan 2014
either lazyness or Sora is just a reincarnation of Riku.
And also Shiro is a reincarnation of Schwi.
Mar 3, 2018 6:19 PM

Oct 2010
^^ Yeah, Schwi also said "Next time, we'll never be apart" at the end. It sounds like where Tet was dishonest would be in how similar he depicted them, not in the obvious implication of their being older incarnations of the same people.

Schwi developing a soul that can reincarnate in human form (albeit a kuudere) makes me think of Ghost in the Shell, where the equivalent of a soul is called a person's "ghost." Machines ("shells") normally don't have ghosts, unless a person's is transferred or copied ("dubbed") into them, but in at least one story an artificial intelligence had developed a ghost of its own.
http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Ghosts_%26_Shells
Mar 7, 2018 10:47 PM
Jan 2018
Second_ace said:
Because Tet is telling the story to Izuna so it might be just her imagining Rikus Schwi and Couronne as Sora, Shiro and Steph since she really admires them and we can see some similarities in traits. (Just my opinion though)

Honestly this is the biggest reason for it, it's a story in a story. Tet could make every character look like Tet if that's what Tet wants. In the end its a story so why does it matter who they look like.

I like the to think of it as reincarnation. Riku and Schwi eventually reincarnated into our world. Yes Schwi is a robot so she doesn't have a soul to reincarnate with but we can say that she gained one from her time with Riku. When Tet found them once again, he wanted to bring them back to show them the world they created and to finally have their rematch in the way Riku would have wanted. Also, I want to believe that the chess game at the end which ended with a draw was setup exactly the way it was at the start before Riko and Tet were interrupted. I have no proof of this since their isn't a good view of their game at the start, but minor details!
Mar 8, 2018 12:06 AM
Jan 2017
Tet jokingly said at the end that all of the story might not be true, so he might be telling the story based on the similar attributes that Sora/Riku, and Shiro/Schwi share — the appearances of Riku and Schwi might have been to make it more relatable to Izuna.

Although, the "next time" monologue with Riku implied reincarnation.

Mar 8, 2018 12:07 AM
Jan 2017
Anerinus said:
Second_ace said:
Because Tet is telling the story to Izuna so it might be just her imagining Rikus Schwi and Couronne as Sora, Shiro and Steph since she really admires them and we can see some similarities in traits. (Just my opinion though)

Honestly this is the biggest reason for it, it's a story in a story. Tet could make every character look like Tet if that's what Tet wants. In the end its a story so why does it matter who they look like.

I like the to think of it as reincarnation. Riku and Schwi eventually reincarnated into our world. Yes Schwi is a robot so she doesn't have a soul to reincarnate with but we can say that she gained one from her time with Riku. When Tet found them once again, he wanted to bring them back to show them the world they created and to finally have their rematch in the way Riku would have wanted. Also, I want to believe that the chess game at the end which ended with a draw was setup exactly the way it was at the start before Riko and Tet were interrupted. I have no proof of this since their isn't a good view of their game at the start, but minor details!

RIKU GAVE HER A HEART.
;'~{
Apr 28, 2018 7:52 PM

Dec 2014
Definetly reincarnations. It makes sense, and there are to many corelations:

- Riku is losing all the time (and Schwi got defeated in battle), while Sora and Shiro - Blank never loses. So they are basically the reverse of the other.
- Both Schwi and Riku talk about meeting a next time and winning the game... And Riku literaly tells Tet that next time when they meet, him and Schwi will definetly win.
- Tet brings them in Disboard and seem totally convinced that they will make a change....

- There are other stuffs too: Steph is with them, she is the reincarnation of Corona Dola who was left without a family after Riku and Schwi died, and now has the chance to be with them once again. Jibril killed Schwi and now she serves Shiro as her slave. So, there is lot of symbolism.

Later in the novel an Ex-Machina will even appear and analyze Sora to see if he is ''their beloved one.''
kronopyMay 3, 2018 1:58 PM
Apr 30, 2018 2:12 AM
Aug 2017
I think Sora and Shiro is their son and daughter... [ofc its not]
Apr 30, 2018 11:15 PM
Apr 2017
kronopy said:
Defietly reincarnations. It makes sense, and there are two many corelations:

- Riku is losing all the time (and Schwi got defeated in battle), while Sora and Shiro - Blank never loses. So they are basically the reverse of the other.
- Both Schwi and Riku talk about meeting a next time and winning the game... And Riku literaly tells Tet that next time they meet him and Schwi will definetly win.
- Tet brings them in Disboard and seem totally convinced that they will make a change....

- There are other stuffs too: Steph is with them, she is the reincarnation of Corona Dola who was left without a family after Riku and Schwi died, and now has the chance to be with them once again. Jibril killed Schwi and now she is serves Shiro as her master. So, there is lot of symbolism.

Later in the novel and Ex-Machina will even appear and analyze Sora to see if he is ''their beloved one.''

Holyyyy that makes so much sense. Damn now im even more thirsty for a season two
May 7, 2018 5:13 PM

Jun 2017
i originally thought it was because tet was telling it,but after thinking about it i fully believe that they are reincarnations of the original group. like @kronopy said,there are way too many similarities and fitting fates.
FFTHEWINNERMay 7, 2018 5:18 PM
May 10, 2018 6:49 PM

Nov 2017
wow everyone thinks so simple here... what if it is all some foreshadowing or some mindblowing plot

plz @ me
May 12, 2018 2:42 AM

Nov 2017
Because right before Riku died he said to tet "Hey, let's play another game. This time I'll show you that we can win. Schwi and I.
Count on it"

And what do you know then Sora and Shiro came to do exactly that.
So coincidence that they are similar? I think not. There's a probability that theres more to it ;)

plz @ me
May 21, 2018 6:04 PM
May 2018
The girl one speak like shiro.I think Author is not lazy.I m happy to see character like orginal sora and shiro and ı think so These important for story.
Sep 28, 2018 12:24 AM

Mar 2014
Why are so many people questioning this? I see a few who put reincarnation and I believe this to be the reason. Tet didn't want a draw and Riku asked to play again, so he took their reincarnations from another world.

Oct 24, 2018 5:22 AM
Sep 2018
Erm,if you guys read volume 9 of the light novel the author actually used the similarity as a main plot. So it can be actually just yuu kamika planning way ahead
Mar 3, 2020 3:55 AM
Nov 2011
KonichiwaKun said:
0h4t3a said:

I love this interpretation. Whatever the real reason is, I don't care, I like this one XD

I just watched the movie and Riku says things along the line of "next time we will win" and "lets play another game, this time ill show you that we can win. Schwi and I." So with that in mind, to me it made since that Shiro and Stephanie are reincarnations continuing to live out their lives.
May 30, 2020 4:19 PM
Dec 2015
Definetly reincarnations. It makes sense, and there are to many corelations:

- Both Schwi and Riku talk about meeting a next time and winning the game... And Riku literaly tells Tet that next time when they meet, him and Schwi will definetly win.

- There are other stuffs too: Steph is with them, she is the reincarnation of Corona Dola who was left without a family after Riku and Schwi died, and now has the chance to be with them once again. Jibril killed Schwi and now she serves Shiro as her slave. So, there is lot of symbolism.

Later in the novel an Ex-Machina will even appear and analyze Sora to see if he is ''their beloved one.''
Modified by kronopy, May 3, 2018 1:58 PM

This. I like this. I approve and I agree.
Jul 14, 2020 11:57 PM
Aug 2011
I disliked the fact that they chose to be phantoms even when they succeeded, history only remember Collonna, at least they give credit to Tet for ending the war but I still hate the fact Steph and Collonna don't know their places, they're the least useful of the group and still have arrogant attitudes for comic relief, even though she has no right to the throne anymore,although the lineage and the role for everyone in the royalty remains confuse.
Jul 14, 2020 11:59 PM
Aug 2011
Pyron said:
I disliked the fact that they chose to be phantoms even when they succeeded, history only remember Collonna, at least they give credit to Tet for ending the war but I still hate the fact Steph and Collonna don't know their places, they're the least useful of the group and still have arrogant attitudes for comic relief, even though she has no right to the throne anymore,although the lineage and the role for everyone in the royalty remains confuse.
Even though Colonna is more mature than Steph, I don't like the fact she is remembered for doing nothing during the war.
Sep 28, 2020 7:45 AM
May 2020
I think why the main characters are similar
Sora and Shiro is reincarnation of Riku And Schwi
Apr 3, 2021 10:24 PM
Apr 2019
Did anyone realized something? Schwi means Black and Shiro means white,also Sora means Sky while Riku means Land, as if they are parallels to each other. Not to mention both Sora and Riku is 18 years old virgin and Shiro and Schwi is 11 and 211 years old respectively(thats a parallel too,I guess?) And also there are a lot of similarities and I personally think it would be too much of a waste to devote an entire volume just on a flashback for no reason.....Kamiya being Kamiya I guess? Also Tet said one thing in first episode(first chapter of first volume for those who red the light novel like me) "have you siblings ever felt as if you were born into the wrong world?"
Sep 19, 2021 10:30 AM

May 2011
Saying the author is ‘lazy’ is pretty dumb. He has created a ton more unique characters than u guys could ever dream of writing. He is clearly a successful professional.

There are clearly narrative reasons for the similarities. They could be re-incarnations. They could be tet embellishing. They could simply easier for readers to follow, relate to and root for, since the main characters don’t exist in the side story.

Naruto also does the re-incarnations theme well, and a lot more than this story actually, with a cool narrative reason (Indra & Ashura of the ancient past infinitely fighting).

So give no game no life a break. There could be a cool reason for this, or it could simply be a coincidence. Saying no 2 humans can ever be similar throughout history and even different worlds is pretty ridiculous. Whether you realize it or not, you are actually similar to many other people in beliefs, personality, looks, reactions, intelligence, etc. you are not really as unique as u may think.

And anyway, the author has smartly left himself a lot of leeway here, as canonically tet admitted to adding more drama as he is the storyteller. This alone could mean a lot of things. Not to mention that actual flaws or oversights are not usually mentioned in the author’s work itself. Izuna’s questioning the similarities also tells u the writer knows what he is doing; you are basically izuna here, so u’d be wise to listen to tet’s answer (as written in the light novel & other replies, plus me of course).
SeijurouSep 19, 2021 10:41 AM
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life: Zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kisaragi - Jul 15, 2017

357 by amlg »»
May 7, 4:50 PM

» this movie is boring

Sunproof21 - Sep 28, 2021

42 by JJT1407 »»
Jan 21, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Schwi + Riku > Sora + Shiro

NotaMasterpiev - May 12, 2023

10 by Ionliosite2 »»
Sep 7, 2023 2:28 PM

Poll: » Preferred the movie to the series

Cestlavie_ - Jan 27, 2022

11 by removed-user »»
Aug 3, 2022 3:43 AM

» watch order?

Raulfin - May 26, 2022

18 by solomino »»
May 28, 2022 2:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.