Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 22, 2017 11:01 PM
Jan 2010
So here is the thing, I know VN readers will tell me to don't watch it and just go to the novel, I'm a fan of VNs as well, but I do like watching animes to give me some initial feeling about the characters, I guess I like animations.

That said, from reviews I know that this anime became shit pretty quickly, so I do plan to read the real thing, as I'm a huge fan of Higurashi I want to experience this in the best way possible. I just want to know at which episode it starts to get bad since I've read someone say that the beggining was actually promising.

May 24, 2017 5:12 PM

Apr 2015
I mean for basic context, maybe a couple of episodes will do. But in all honesty, the anime is a mess altogether. Like take the opening scene of the anime where the main cast enter the island...they skipped out entirely on crucial details like who Battler and co. are like as people when they aren't stuck in that island especially since the VN starts with Battler meeting his estranged relatives for the first time in years since living out with his grandparents. Details like the characters' heights, personalities, even minute things like certain characters being together in situations not described in the VN completely ruins the immersion and the mystery itself. Don't watch the anime for animation cause it's really poorly done, especially later on. The only good thing to take from the anime in my opinion is the soundtrack, but you can listen to that in your own time; you don't need to watch the anime exclusively for that.

Just do yourself a favor and start immediately with the VN...it's the only way to properly do Umineko justice. Otherwise, the manga is also a good alternative and is the closest to a proper Umineko adaptation that you can get.
May 25, 2017 8:51 AM
Jan 2010
swordhermit said:
I mean for basic context, maybe a couple of episodes will do. But in all honesty, the anime is a mess altogether. Like take the opening scene of the anime where the main cast enter the island...they skipped out entirely on crucial details like who Battler and co. are like as people when they aren't stuck in that island especially since the VN starts with Battler meeting his estranged relatives for the first time in years since living out with his grandparents. Details like the characters' heights, personalities, even minute things like certain characters being together in situations not described in the VN completely ruins the immersion and the mystery itself. Don't watch the anime for animation cause it's really poorly done, especially later on. The only good thing to take from the anime in my opinion is the soundtrack, but you can listen to that in your own time; you don't need to watch the anime exclusively for that.

Just do yourself a favor and start immediately with the VN...it's the only way to properly do Umineko justice. Otherwise, the manga is also a good alternative and is the closest to a proper Umineko adaptation that you can get.

I've watched til episode 6. Was actually liking it but it also felt I was missing some details, so I'm playing the VN right now.

But dear god, this VN is so long, holy shit. Even knowing this beforehand it took me by surprise. I've been playing it for the last three days in a slow-moderate pace (probably got around 5 hours of total gameplay?), and I'm not even past episode 1 from the anime lol.
May 25, 2017 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
GBcrazy said:
swordhermit said:

I've watched til episode 6. Was actually liking it but it also felt I was missing some details, so I'm playing the VN right now.

But dear god, this VN is so long, holy shit. Even knowing this beforehand it took me by surprise. I've been playing it for the last three days in a slow-moderate pace (probably got around 5 hours of total gameplay?), and I'm not even past episode 1 from the anime lol.

If you feel that VN is too long, read the manga. It's a really good adaptation and the story is somewhat clearer than the VN there, even tho you will miss the godlike ost.
May 25, 2017 6:44 PM
Jan 2010
Frostbytes said:
If you feel that VN is too long, read the manga. It's a really good adaptation and the story is somewhat clearer than the VN there, even tho you will miss the godlike ost.

Thanks but I will endure it, I prefer VNs to mangas, love some OST. Just thought I would be able to get to where I stopped in the anime faster x.x, but that's okay, I have faith in Ryukishi, literally loved everything I've experienced from him (Higurashi and Lucia's route in Rewrite)

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.