Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 26, 2017 3:50 AM

Sep 2011
allenjke said:
That went pretty dark and the episode felt different from all previous ones like it was a small separate story, but still pretty good.

Rewrite is all about series of separate stories. If you've seen the heroine routes(Only on VN) you'll get what I mean.

Murasa22 said:

I was talking about Rakuen, not Kajitsu lol

Meikyuu and Rakuen's stories are already prepared while doing or after releasing Kajitsu so still Grisaia trilogy came first before Rewrite.

Then again, it's just too stupid to compare the two and make arguments by competing which came first as Tanaka did already make a kind of similar story in a sense like Terra(Humanity Has Declined).
TennoujiFeb 26, 2017 4:03 AM

Feb 26, 2017 4:37 AM

Sep 2015
Still felt a bit rushed, but well they need to cramp all of these in one episode and they must not skip the awesome OP and ED.

Damn Jasmine is cuter than I thought she would be. I mean, didn't the VN describe her as "dark skinned"?
Feb 26, 2017 5:07 AM

Feb 2014
Brutal is one word I would describe this episode with. From Kotarou killing a human for the first time, to Jasmine preventing Kotarou from committing suicide.

Luis was his only proper comrade-in-arms, a true bro, while the other soldiers treated him like shit since he was a newbie and was easy to pummel around. What a bunch of assholes they are. ¬_¬

The way Luis went out was heroic and also sad. That pushed Kotarou into making his new resolve, using his Rewrite ability to save Jasmine, Midou and the two other kids from death and as a result, got a lot stronger, as we see one poor soldier getting pummelled by Kotarou.

The only good cgi was for the Humvee vehicles. The summoned monster looked average at best. The rest of the animation was good and the bgm, especially the re-arranged version of the season 1 opening, was amazingly good.

Best episode so far for season 2. =)
Feb 26, 2017 6:42 AM

Jan 2015
-Trippwire- said:
*Kotarou contemplates suicide, puts gun to head. Screams*

I started laughing. That's how you know when you don't like a show very much.

That's is what you get for watching an anime adaptation instead of reading/playing the original source. This scene is 100% anime original, never happened in the VN. I didn't like this scene as well, Kotarou wasn't affected this much to try suicide like this (VN).
Arikado-Feb 26, 2017 6:46 AM
Feb 26, 2017 7:32 AM
Jun 2014
You're saying that only because it was a scene that wasn't in the VN. In the VN itself there were multiple routes where Kotarou could not get over the fact of killing a human being, most notably Chihaya's route where Midou's death (an act of suicide rather than direct murder) affected him very strongly to the point where he began hallucinating about Midou's ghost talking to him. Even in Shizuru's route, Kotarou displayed a disdain towards Guardian's careless approach towards the lives of their enemies. The anime-only original scene reinforces Kotarou's character so far, of someone with a privileged birth who believes himself to be suffering a great deal, only to realize that the world itself is full of much worse suffering.
Feb 26, 2017 8:12 AM

Jan 2015
Fencel said:
You're saying that only because it was a scene that wasn't in the VN. In the VN itself there were multiple routes where Kotarou could not get over the fact of killing a human being, most notably Chihaya's route where Midou's death (an act of suicide rather than direct murder) affected him very strongly to the point where he began hallucinating about Midou's ghost talking to him. Even in Shizuru's route, Kotarou displayed a disdain towards Guardian's careless approach towards the lives of their enemies. The anime-only original scene reinforces Kotarou's character so far, of someone with a privileged birth who believes himself to be suffering a great deal, only to realize that the world itself is full of much worse suffering.

Even when " affected him very strongly to the point where he began hallucinating about Midou's ghost talking to him" or any other event ... he didn't attempt to suicide yet, then anything beyond this point is just conjecture/speculation. I don't think he would go this far, however, if in the VN he were to try suicide, the VN would build this event very better than this one. - But I don't like to speculating, I like facts only, then Kotarou attempting to suicide doesn't exist.
Feb 26, 2017 8:22 AM
Jun 2014
Because the only route where Kotarou kills another person is Akane's route. In all the other routes, Kotarou's own hands are free from the guilt of taking another human life. And in Akane's route, the decision to kill someone else comes as a very heavy decision for Kotarou to make. What the anime wanted to do was to show that it's entirely different hunting and killing supernatural monsters from actual human opponents, and since that distinction was never able to be made clear in the common route as the VN intended, they slipped in that moment here, and also turned it into an opportunity to introduce and garner sympathy for Yasmin.
Feb 26, 2017 8:29 AM

Sep 2011
aspaknyaa said:

Damn Jasmine is cuter than I thought she would be. I mean, didn't the VN describe her as "dark skinned"?

No it's not. Only Luis was described as "dark skinned".

Feb 26, 2017 9:00 AM

Jan 2015
Fencel said:
Because the only route where Kotarou kills another person is Akane's route. In all the other routes, Kotarou's own hands are free from the guilt of taking another human life. And in Akane's route, the decision to kill someone else comes as a very heavy decision for Kotarou to make. What the anime wanted to do was to show that it's entirely different hunting and killing supernatural monsters from actual human opponents, and since that distinction was never able to be made clear in the common route as the VN intended, they slipped in that moment here, and also turned it into an opportunity to introduce and garner sympathy for Yasmin.

"Because the only route where Kotarou kills another person is Akane's route"

I don't remember this well, but are you saying about when he killed Takasago? Hm ... right, what happens next? Attempt to suicide? No. So you can't be so sure about what Kotarou would do. I don't remember him being such dramatic in this terra scene.

"What the anime wanted to do was to show that it's entirely different hunting and killing supernatural monsters from actual human opponents"
"an opportunity to introduce and garner sympathy for Yasmin."

Those both statements are the truth here, and I don't have to say they have to make things in this way because of those cramped episodes.
Feb 26, 2017 10:44 AM

Dec 2014
well this was a good episode..I really like the story development
Feb 26, 2017 11:07 AM

Jun 2013
Arikado- said:
-Trippwire- said:
*Kotarou contemplates suicide, puts gun to head. Screams*

I started laughing. That's how you know when you don't like a show very much.

That's is what you get for watching an anime adaptation instead of reading/playing the original source. This scene is 100% anime original, never happened in the VN. I didn't like this scene as well, Kotarou wasn't affected this much to try suicide like this (VN).

I suppose you're right. I've committed to seeing this through. If I ever find the time, I might play it. But just from watching this I get the feeling it would take FOREVER. I know if I'll ever have that kind of time, lol.
Feb 26, 2017 1:37 PM
Jun 2014
Arikado- said:
Fencel said:

"Because the only route where Kotarou kills another person is Akane's route"

I don't remember this well, but are you saying about when he killed Takasago? Hm ... right, what happens next? Attempt to suicide? No. So you can't be so sure about what Kotarou would do. I don't remember him being such dramatic in this terra scene.

"What the anime wanted to do was to show that it's entirely different hunting and killing supernatural monsters from actual human opponents"
"an opportunity to introduce and garner sympathy for Yasmin."

Those both statements are the truth here, and I don't have to say they have to make things in this way because of those cramped episodes.

The crux of Kotarou's entire character arc is that as long as he's dedicating himself to another person, he can will himself to do anything. This is why he can even become a horrific murderer in the Akane route. Terra is different in that Kotarou doesn't have anyone to lean on as a crutch for the most part, so he doesn't have the same kind of willpower and determination to see himself through.
Feb 26, 2017 2:43 PM

May 2010
The lolis route is going strong.

God. stop speaking awkward japanese with correct grammar meh this bothers me.

Hmm that was not bad overall.
Feb 26, 2017 4:53 PM
Aug 2013
TragicRomance said:

Well in the novel they are all supposed to be talking broken english, Kotarou, Luis, Jasmine, the kids, probably not the other Guardian guys. So they talk japanese like that to portray that fact, everyone who doesn't know japanese wouldn't notice just reading the subs Hahaha. And considering how most japanese voice actors SUCK when they try talking english in this situations, that awkward japanese is way better.
Feb 26, 2017 10:12 PM
Feb 2017
I dislike vn elitism. I loved this episode. It was so emotional and hits you right in the feels when luis dies! Also i like when he became unhinged after killing someone and attempts suicide. It was a good way to introduce yasmin.
Feb 27, 2017 1:53 AM
Jul 2014
Does anyone know the instrumental song that played after he saved the lolis?

It was also played when that puddle of information expanded, sounds really familiar but just can't get my head around it
HeavensFallFeb 27, 2017 2:04 AM
Feb 27, 2017 2:37 AM

May 2010
HeavensFall said:

It was also played when that puddle of information expanded, sounds really familiar but just can't get my head around it

Could it be that one?
Feb 27, 2017 2:25 PM

May 2010
Rodielx said:
TragicRomance said:

Well in the novel they are all supposed to be talking broken english, Kotarou, Luis, Jasmine, the kids, probably not the other Guardian guys. So they talk japanese like that to portray that fact, everyone who doesn't know japanese wouldn't notice just reading the subs Hahaha. And considering how most japanese voice actors SUCK when they try talking english in this situations, that awkward japanese is way better.

I wish they do a better job at broken japanese tho... The grammar is mostly correct... they just talk slow and awkwardly...
Feb 27, 2017 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Kitsu-nee said:
HeavensFall said:

Could it be that one?

Yeah its that song.
Feb 27, 2017 5:43 PM

Mar 2015
Definitely best episode so far, hope it keeps this up
Feb 27, 2017 8:45 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
That was a bittersweet episode. Luis true bro right there, he was a very cool guy and went out like a hero.

Yasmin and Kotarou had some pretty cute interactions. Liked the scene where Kotarou takes a bite from Yasmin's choco bar and then Yasmin takes a bite afterward.
Sad to see Yasmin cry, she really has become attached to Kotarou. It wouldn't hurt to visit the kids even just for a little bit but oh well, sad way to end the episode.

Feb 27, 2017 11:51 PM
Feb 2017
SweetKotomi said:
That was a bittersweet episode. Luis true bro right there, he was a very cool guy and went out like a hero.

Yasmin and Kotarou had some pretty cute interactions. Liked the scene where Kotarou takes a bite from Yasmin's choco bar and then Yasmin takes a bite afterward.
Sad to see Yasmin cry, she really has become attached to Kotarou. It wouldn't hurt to visit the kids even just for a little bit but oh well, sad way to end the episode.
i agree completely it was a perfect episode
Feb 28, 2017 12:40 PM

Sep 2013
Eienatsu said:
I found this on a Rewrite facebook group in case you didn't catch why Midou and friends became insane and why they alluded to something about his past in s1.

It was mentioned in s1 that Midou and friends grew up in a warzone and killing is all they've known. In all timelines except Terra, Jasmine dies and Midou and friends become the crazy edgelords you see in s1.

Really sad. I really liked this backstory because it shows how easily innocence can be destroyed.

Terra route is the only route where Jasmine doesn't die because Kotarou saves them, which also prevents Midou and friends from going insane.

I remember Midou's backstory and thought his friend Yasmin was killed by militants, but to think she (and other kids) were murdered by Guardians, to hell with their organization......

Liking the new improved and determined Kotarou, still this Terra route is filled with loli harem...XD
Feb 28, 2017 1:44 PM
Mar 2008
This was the best episode so far and only one to make me cry yet.

I also think it is a shame that this episode felt rushed and would been amazing with more story and longer action and put into 2 episodes.

Jasmine also a strong contender for being the best girl to appear in the anime imo, even though I like Lucia and Shizuru a lot. But have not seen them for some time now.
Feb 28, 2017 7:53 PM
Jul 2014
Kitsu-nee said:
HeavensFall said:

Could it be that one?

Yeah that's it thanks a bunch, love this song always brings out the feels
Feb 28, 2017 8:33 PM

Oct 2011
what an episode. LUIS!!!😭😭😭😭
Yasmin and the children 😭😭😭😭
Young Midou!!!! Glad he won't be going crazy etc
Feb 28, 2017 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
rinneganfire4u said:
Eienatsu said:
I found this on a Rewrite facebook group in case you didn't catch why Midou and friends became insane and why they alluded to something about his past in s1.

It was mentioned in s1 that Midou and friends grew up in a warzone and killing is all they've known. In all timelines except Terra, Jasmine dies and Midou and friends become the crazy edgelords you see in s1.

Really sad. I really liked this backstory because it shows how easily innocence can be destroyed.

Terra route is the only route where Jasmine doesn't die because Kotarou saves them, which also prevents Midou and friends from going insane.

I remember Midou's backstory and thought his friend Yasmin was killed by militants, but to think she (and other kids) were murdered by Guardians, to hell with their organization......

Liking the new improved and determined Kotarou, still this Terra route is filled with loli harem...XD

I expected someone to say Loli harem xP well not like it's wrong or bad to say it but when I thought about it then yeah... especially if you look and connect things and then realize something fishy :P (Had to think back when I read the source material)
Feb 28, 2017 10:10 PM
Mar 2012
lollll all em Kotarou screaming so hilarious... but I get his mental quandary on that first headshot.
+1 best episode so far. The dialogues of why they became mercenaries, the pacing, feels, Philosophy of Ours.
Blondie looked familiar, didn't know he was crazy pyro Midou. Besides Kotarous growth, now I see how all his actions affect every loli. Him forming the summoners & superkids group seems a major move against both gaia & guardian.
Yasmin is a cute, lol a coder & stock trader, needs more screentime. Kotarou has an op loli attraction field.
When the CG squid hesitated it implied the summoner knew Kotarou. What happened later, how guardian acts, and Luis was quite tragic.
Wanted more Luis cuz that javelin was cool.
Mar 1, 2017 3:17 AM

Sep 2013
Symphyon said:

I expected someone to say Loli harem xP well not like it's wrong or bad to say it but when I thought about it then yeah... especially if you look and connect things and then realize something fishy :P (Had to think back when I read the source material)

You know it's true, can't deny that he's a loli magnet...XP
Mar 1, 2017 3:30 AM
Jul 2018
rinneganfire4u said:
Symphyon said:

You know it's true, can't deny that he's a loli magnet...XP

Yeh I can't deny this (even I kinda thought it was quite something considering)

Mar 2, 2017 9:38 PM

Oct 2008
This episode is the cool Koutarou first person shooter with daemon enemies + saving kids and forsakening the methods of guardians.
5/5.

Mar 3, 2017 9:33 AM
Mar 2017
I realise I am a new 'face' here, but I've been around on some other anime forums in the past and just had to find one and jump in for this one. I've watched literally hundreds of animes (many of them as they came out) - and Key's have definitely been among my favourite (I don't do the VN as I'm not into the 'adult' content). The original Kannon (and remake), Clannad, Air- seen them all. I really expected to love Clannad and was enjoying it, but the end of it (the 'first season', NOT the After Story) let me down- it didn't have the intensity that struck me from anime like Kannon. It was animes like that which really hooked me on anime: as it wasn't the "Dragonball Z" stuff that drew me to anime, so much as the really deep storylines (like Evangelion, Kannon, Angel Beats, Stein's Gate, and many others). Lately I have felt like a lot of anime have drifted increasingly away from that- that amazing ability to mix the absurd, the funny, the painful, the frightening, and the beautiful- and bring it to a powerful, and inspiring ending. My brother once put it this way after watching Angel Beats: "the (Japanese anime creators) like to rip your heart out and hold it beating in their hand, squeeze it, crush it, throw it on the ground, jump on it, light it on fire... and then sweep up the ashes into a neat pile, and hand it back to you." ;) I thought it was a comical but apt example- its a profoundly intellectual and emotional experience, and extremely cathartic.

So when Clannad: After Story came out, suddenly I LOVED Clannad and it made the entire first season worth it- as though the first season/series was all just to make the After Story that much BETTER. I had watched the first season with my baby boy in my lap for most of it- I sang the "Dango" song to him before he could speak, and as a full time parent he probably heard more Japanese than English (despite us not having Asian heritage ;) ). And then my ex-wife lost her father to cancer and went through severe depression, and gaming addiction- and about that time the After Story came out. It was intense- especially watching it as a parent, by son about the age of the little girl... it left me emotionally ravaged, and yet at the end feeling so moved. It really helped me to appreciate what I had so very deeply- and I had almost lost my son once, at a pool, so that intensity was amped up more.

And then- my ex's depression increased, she went to be with a parent to recover, and wanted a divorce- she had my son. I was left alone in a home, working, and saw my son two weeks in two years. The three year divorce ended, I remarried- yet even then see my son only once a year, living so far apart. And I watch it again- and it took on entirely new meaning.

So how does that relate to this? Well, as someone who majored in cross cultural work and wanted to work overseas- to go outside my cultural box and serve others, and to bring back to my culture the importance of what was going on in the world- this episode really reminded me a lot of Angel Beat's (where they suddenly connected the main character's story to the importance of donating organs) with that intensity from Clannad: After Story and Angel Beat's, or the start of it. It's the first episode in this anime to really amp it up to the level of those- to give the anime a signficance far outside its scope. A scope that encompasses what is going on in the world around us- what soldiers face, what the consequences of war are, the need of children overseas...

In a country which is divided and bursting at the seems, trying to get its head around its own need but also the tremendous need of the world around it- and the fact that the younger generations are now connecting to people all over the world (and my wife herself is from the EU- and speaks 4 languages fluently, is working on two more). I've had friends in Serbia, England, Netherlands, Greece, China, Africa, South America, Canada, Japan... How can you go to war with a country when you know your friends, family, and/or their friends/family will die? When in the end only a select few are the ones at fault- a group, or people in power?

This is the question that I feel anime has wrested with over the years- this idea of noble and evil people being on both sides in a conflict, but the real 'evil' being in the corruption of leadership. In the end the people really 'at war' are the chess players, and the rest are chess pieces - intelligent ones with free will- that the leaders are trying to convince need to fight the 'enemy'. Unity across the world threatens this- because it loosens the grip of the powerful. World peace threatens this- and older generations cling to old hatreds that younger ones don't carry on.

This episode really hits all of this. I look forward to seeing where the anime will go next- and I have a feeling it will get even more intense (if it doesn't take this a meaningful direction I might be disappointed). I also really have liked the episodes earlier in season two that dealt with the main character trying to fit into his mind an underestanding of the world, and reaching that ceiling after suddenly understanding the meaning of love (to me, this is a very real truth- the highest concept is love, but not romantic love, sacrificial love- a love that puts others needs above our own, that can love our enemy, and love our neighbour as ourselves).

This is definitely a very, very intense and brilliantly written anime (and likely visual novel) and I look forwards to more!
-Coro
Mar 15, 2017 3:46 AM

Mar 2009
Eienatsu said:

Thanks for pointing this out. While I was watching this episode, I was reminded of that episode all the way back in S1. Back then, it seemingly came out of nowhere, and I was mostly confused at that flashback scene since it wasn't fully explained. Here, though, it all finally made sense.
Mar 20, 2017 5:03 PM

Dec 2012
Wow, that was surprisingly heavy. The weight of life and the cruelty of war. It seems Kotarou finally found his answer. I wonder if he's going to go rogue and fight both Gaia and Guardian now.
Apr 5, 2017 9:34 AM

Jan 2014
is this the part when Kotarou reach the peak of physical human capacity?
Apr 5, 2017 4:12 PM
Jul 2016
Abyhape said:

Not yet.

That part on the Moon where he transformed into some mindless beast is when he is at full power.
Apr 6, 2017 12:27 AM

Jan 2014
JanusVonMaria said:
Abyhape said:

Not yet.

That part on the Moon where he transformed into some mindless beast is when he is at full power.

I think that's beyond human capabilities, since he's not in human form anymore.
Apr 8, 2017 6:16 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Symphyon said:

^ Pretty much this. I at least appreciate them bringing up in S1 because that's important for Terra Route though. :S despite how lackluster the first season was (I still enjoyed it tbh xD)

Pretty much, I dont have any complains, this episode pacing felt right, I mean, at least it was much better than the pacing from S1.
Apr 9, 2017 7:36 PM

Jan 2013
Probably one of the best episodes :( Glad that Kotarou helped those poor kids.
R.I.P Luis.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 21, 2017 7:42 PM

Jul 2014
So the military part in the beginning was real, guess Kotarou went for some soul searching. In a way he defected by saving the kids.
May 6, 2017 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
HeavensFall said:
Kitsu-nee said:

Could it be that one?

Yeah that's it thanks a bunch, love this song always brings out the feels

Would you also happen to know the piano OST that plays at the end of the episode when Kotarou talks with Yasmine? The one just before the ending song. Have been looking for it everywhere, but can't seem to find it :(

Edit: youtube clip of the OST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWEsPIyonw8
removed-userMay 6, 2017 3:41 PM
May 26, 2017 4:57 PM

May 2012
Not too shabby development if you ask me, let's see what's next!
Jun 18, 2017 10:12 PM

Mar 2015
Intense episode. Poor Yasmin and the others, poor Luis.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 21, 2018 9:52 AM

Jun 2011
WTF this is why I hate Japanese animation sometimes. I get getting into a person's psyche and breaking down every steps he's experiencing emotionally but this is one of the times that it's just annoying and doesn't fit. Kotarou was not ready to take a life but he's working in the business he chose to work for, what gives? He's also getting over-emotional, which I get is a protagonist trait, but so much he's willing to kill his superior who's just doing his job. WTF? He gives me that SJW vibe and it's disgusting.

Also, one Akane is enough. Yasmin doesn't act like a girl her age. This is what's wrong with anime in general sometimes, girls at age 7 acting like they're 23 and girls at age 17 acting like they're 10. Please. Couldn't you have picked an adult for Yasmin's role?

Also that weird Kotarou/Yasmin style of speech, are they speaking weird because they're speaking foreign language and whatnot?

I've liked the anime so far but this episode is no no for me.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 29, 2020 10:29 PM

Feb 2018
Flashback for Koutarou, and you're so cool
Aug 31, 2021 5:31 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
RIP Luis, also sad that Kotaro is leaving
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

182 by White_Alice »»
Dec 16, 2023 2:13 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2017

115 by phantomic109 »»
Jun 19, 2023 12:51 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2017

201 by yveltalkyogre »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:35 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2017

110 by ka7eMARU »»
Nov 5, 2022 6:10 PM

Poll: » Rewrite 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2017

154 by ka7eMARU »»
Nov 5, 2022 5:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.