Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2016 6:22 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sherry discovering something on the experiment.

OMG!! It's very first OP!!

Aquarium case and (more) daily life before becoming Conan and ep.1 amusement park case:

That PV to the new movie... not much, and that new character didn't appear.

Edit: This special to include in Vol. 92, releasing April 10, 2017.
http://www.ota-suke.jp/news/186352
tsubasaloverJan 20, 2018 2:27 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 9, 2016 7:24 PM
Feb 2015
The newly added scenes are surprisingly nice. Still the Shiho scene at the end makes it seem like she has interest in Shinichi from the start.
Dec 9, 2016 11:57 PM

Feb 2016
Good special, though I felt that it was a bit too convoluted at times and they didn't need to showcase that many characters here. Would it even be suitable for an actual introduction to the series? Probably not, so not really that fair to call it "Episode One".

Great treat for long-time fans, and people caught up with the manga/anime though.

Some specifics:
Dec 10, 2016 6:28 AM

Apr 2014
I NEED TO WATCH THIS.
NOW.
Dec 10, 2016 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
This special was fun to watch. I loved it. Shame they made a few animation mistakes here and there.....like this : Dr. Agasa's right hand got a magickal 6th finger at 1:18:14 xD
Dec 10, 2016 9:40 AM
Feb 2015
TRegi08 said:
This special was fun to watch. I loved it. Shame they made a few animation mistakes here and there.....like this : Dr. Agasa's right hand got a magickal 6th finger at 1:18:14 xD

It's a trick, Agasa is planning to kill someone with that finger. XD
Dec 10, 2016 1:12 PM
Jul 2018
ixarising said:
TRegi08 said:

That.. would be the perfect crime......why did i not noticed that before xD
removed-userDec 10, 2016 1:41 PM
Dec 10, 2016 9:29 PM
Mar 2010
GOOD STUFF! I'm just a bit sad this remake made me reminisce about ZARD!
That song in the tropical land is so nostalgic, of course, the oldest OP song too. The omission of the Detective Boys in the Mystery Coaster kinda bugged me, but well, the inclusion of lots of new footages definitely did wonders, like Ran's karate competition, Makoto's destined love at first sight on Sonoko, Korn and Chianti's short skit, Akai and Jodie and lots of other stuffs.

Although, overall, I'm happy to see this remake of the first episode, Koyama Rikiya's Mouri Kogoro is still tons inferior to the Kamiya Akira's Mouri Kogoro! I still can't move on regarding this fact. (T_T)
Dec 15, 2016 11:01 AM

Dec 2011
That was an amazing special.I like how they add many little things for this like seeing Makoto falling in love with Sonoko and many small details.
Also really nice we get almost an hour of Shinichi xD
Dec 15, 2016 1:13 PM

Jun 2016
Amazing special (y)
a lot of changes and many additions...

Fun episode
EG99
Dec 16, 2016 3:57 AM

May 2014
Freaking loved this to no end.
Art and animation were fabulous, the cameos of basically EVERYONE were so much fun.

Playing the first opening made me so nostalgic, and the fountain scene reminded me of the movie where Conan tells Ran he loves her so much.
The end bit of Shiho was awesome, now we know that the BO have Shinichi as dead in their database or whatever, it was kind of a Vermouth-Jodie moment if we didn't know any better though lol.

The VA of Shinichi did a pretty good job expressing how it hurt for his body to shrink, I really felt that scene.
Speaking of VAs, does Conan's VA never get tired of the role she plays? He always sounds the same and in full energy, I never grow tired of it, and I rarely hear her in some other anime, she doesn't do a lot, does she?
But whenever she's voice acting I can know for sure it's her, like Satorou's mother in Erased, Envy from FMA and the Kid Hero from OPM.

The interactions with Ran were surprisingly really awesome, I always kind of feel like Ran is so one dimensional and her lines are always generic and predictable, but the interactions with Shinichi were really funny and nice, maybe I forgot the beginning was like this.

Introduction of Gin and Vodka was really cool.
The mention of rats is beginning to annoy me between this and the 20th movie though xD
The reanimating of the first KID encounter was badass as well, always loved that moment from my childhood.

But yeah, this has got to be one my favorite OVAs of DC, even though most of them are decent to good already.
This is motivating me to watch the anime again, since I have not been watching for like a year now.
ZoroZoldyckDec 16, 2016 4:03 AM

Dec 17, 2016 2:21 PM

Apr 2014
love this special and how it showed alot more of what happened and then some new over all stuff they added

but all in all this just reminds me of how much i want older Kudo eps to happen but seems like its still a far ways off till that happens

but yeah this was amazing
"one step at a time"
Dec 23, 2016 12:02 PM

Sep 2014
ZoroZoldyck said:

Speaking of VAs, does Conan's VA never get tired of the role she plays? He always sounds the same and in full energy, I never grow tired of it, and I rarely hear her in some other anime, she doesn't do a lot, does she?
But whenever she's voice acting I can know for sure it's her, like Satorou's mother in Erased, Envy from FMA and the Kid Hero from OPM.

She also did Hajime Hinata from Danganronpa 3. I'm so happy she got that role since not only was she able to give life to Hinata, my DR-playing friends also got to know more of Detective Conan once I told them she's Conan's VA. (I plan to do the same thing once NDVR3 comes out since Megumi Hayashibara-sensei's in it <3)
Dec 25, 2016 10:07 AM
Oct 2014
I really love this one!
But I got some speculation about Black Organization. I think BO is the organization that help some vicious organization to survive from their problem. I mean when Gin and Vodka met someone in Tropical Land they talk about video or something and then Gin and Vodka gave it to him and he gave a lot of money to them. So I think BO work is to be the one who play the "dirty things" and they will pay them.

Sorry for bad English btw XD
Dec 29, 2016 3:49 PM
Mar 2016
TRegi08 said:
ixarising said:

That.. would be the perfect crime......why did i not noticed that before xD
that make sense ! Now the truth has been revealed !!! Dr.agase is the head of the organization (ano hito) XD
May 9, 2017 8:57 AM

Apr 2011
As a long time fan of DC I thoroughly enjoyed this special! While people say some of the cameos were "unnecessary" and "out of place", this is a special after all so it's all in good fun I think. I personally enjoyed all the easter eggs and cameos.

I initially thought this was a pure remake of the first episode so wasn't expecting that much but it was actually worthwhile. Definitely wouldn't use it to introduce DC to a newbie since there are wayyyy too many spoilers, but highly recommend it to the long time fans of the series.
Jun 2, 2017 3:21 PM

Feb 2013
Their date was really great, I loved it.
Jun 17, 2017 9:45 AM

Apr 2014
First half hour was dull. But beginning with the content of real first episode, the special got better and better. Good special.
Jul 7, 2017 4:51 PM

Feb 2015
This was super nostalgic! I loved it.
Sep 27, 2017 12:19 AM

Jul 2013
This was very nostalgic and enjoyable to watch! @_@ The Black Organization made me feel intense because of how evil they were.
Nov 25, 2017 4:00 AM
Nov 2014
A little boring but otherwise a good special. Korn wanting to ride the Ferris wheel was priceless lol. I also liked ran's karate fight. I wished amuro actually appeared instead of being mentioned only.
Jan 12, 2018 2:42 PM

Jul 2012
The last part O.O Really intense.

A good remake overall.
Feb 25, 2018 7:56 PM

Jan 2008
I liked it. It was nice seeing all the new additions that were blended seamlessly into it. Finding all those easter eggs was fun. A nice treat for long-time fans.

That decapitation scene was far more gruesome than I remembered it, looking like it was straight out of Kill Bill...they really didn't pull any punches there, and quite glad they didn't censor the hell out of it with a giant white light-beam blob or a black censor block.
Oct 31, 2018 6:29 AM

Nov 2016
So much nostalgia and I liked the additions too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 3, 2019 4:06 AM

Jan 2013
Yea, so this basically confirms I won't watch this anime ever.

So many logical errors.

One nitpick I found kinda hilarious is how his "new, younger" voice is a lot more mature than his teenager voice.
Mar 26, 2020 10:35 PM

May 2008
1) I'm surprised by how tolerable Ran was. She was more tolerable than Shinichi was, funny enough. And I now know who to blame: Professor Agasa. His logic makes sense, but really, for Ran, it ruined the fun of her character (more than being the love interest already did). Thanks, Agasa!

2) The romance is still garbage annoying. Thanks, Shinichi!

3) Surprised they allowed the gory to remain in this age of censorship. I thought they changed censored it via changing the blood color at first (they kinda did later on - that stuff was BLACK!) but it was identifiable as blood. Thumbs up on that.

4) It's good to see the change between Shinichi and Conan. Going from a person who was ready to not hide his secret to a guy who basically becomes a criminal.

5) A bit too many unnecessary cameos. What point do they serve? It's not like they do anything for the narrative or the characters at large; lowest form of fan service.

6) Karate fight was great, I can't lie. Animated real nice and had a good flow. It's good to see an actual fight for once.

7) The Sherry parts were the best ones. I wish the special was all about her rather than ShinRan.

All in all, it's okay. It's mostly for the ShinRan fans, tbh. For everyone else, you can literally watch the first and last 5-10 minutes and the karate fight and not miss anything.
Jul 25, 2020 3:55 AM

Jul 2016
I liked this episode a lot.

nanyatimz said:
GOOD STUFF! I'm just a bit sad this remake made me reminisce about ZARD!
That song in the tropical land is so nostalgic, of course, the oldest OP song too. The omission of the Detective Boys in the Mystery Coaster kinda bugged me, but well, the inclusion of lots of new footages definitely did wonders, like Ran's karate competition, Makoto's destined love at first sight on Sonoko, Korn and Chianti's short skit, Akai and Jodie and lots of other stuffs.

Although, overall, I'm happy to see this remake of the first episode, Koyama Rikiya's Mouri Kogoro is still tons inferior to the Kamiya Akira's Mouri Kogoro! I still can't move on regarding this fact. (T_T)

Kogoro hasn't felt like the same character ever since the voice actor was changed.

More topics from this board

» Can I watch this as my introduction to the series?

MrYandereFan26 - Jul 30, 2021

3 by Alexioos95 »»
Jul 30, 2021 10:32 AM

» Can't even use this to get someone into Detective Conan

Arcofdream - Dec 12, 2016

2 by Heliotropic84 »»
Dec 12, 2016 7:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.