Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 7, 2016 4:48 AM

Mar 2014
I have never watched Ghost in The Shell before and I want to get into the series. I honestly have no idea where to start and I wanted to know a fan's opinion on if i should start with this movie first, since it's a prequel according to the MAL database, or should I start with the original 90's movie and work my way through all the series and watch this last?

Thank you ^^

-Fooly
Dec 7, 2016 1:16 PM

Oct 2009
FoolyFate said:
I have never watched Ghost in The Shell before and I want to get into the series. I honestly have no idea where to start and I wanted to know a fan's opinion on if i should start with this movie first, since it's a prequel according to the MAL database, or should I start with the original 90's movie and work my way through all the series and watch this last?

Thank you ^^

-Fooly

MAL's database is totally wrong on this one so it's a good thing you asked.

Ghost in the Shell now has three separate anime adaptations/continuities. This movie is not a prequel to the original 1995 Ghost in the Shell and doesn't actually connect to it at all, I've tried submitting edits to avoid the MAL database confusing people but none of them seem to have gotten anywhere.

Production order is the best way to go about watching them all, keep in mind they aren't all connected.

Mamoru Oshi movies:

Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Ghost in the shell 2: Innocence.

Stand Alone Complex Series:

Stand Alone Complex
Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig
Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society

Arise series:

Ghost in the Shell Arise Border 1
Ghost in the Shell Arise Border 2
Ghost in the Shell Arise Border 3
Ghost in the Shell Arise Border 4
Ghost in the Shell Arise Alternative Architecture (just the last two episodes 9-10 are new content)
Ghost in the Shell (2015)
Dec 7, 2016 7:10 PM

Mar 2014
TopgunUK said:
FoolyFate said:

Thank you ^^

-Fooly

MAL's database is totally wrong on this one so it's a good thing you asked.

Ghost in the Shell now has three separate anime adaptations/continuities. This movie is not a prequel to the original 1995 Ghost in the Shell and doesn't actually connect to it at all, I've tried submitting edits to avoid the MAL database confusing people but none of them seem to have gotten anywhere.

Production order is the best way to go about watching them all, keep in mind they aren't all connected.

Mamoru Oshi movies:

Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Ghost in the shell 2: Innocence.

Stand Alone Complex Series:

Stand Alone Complex
Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig
Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society

Arise series:

Ghost in the Shell Arise Border 1
Ghost in the Shell Arise Border 2
Ghost in the Shell Arise Border 3
Ghost in the Shell Arise Border 4
Ghost in the Shell Arise Alternative Architecture (just the last two episodes 9-10 are new content)
Ghost in the Shell (2015)

Thank you for the reply! That is some really helpful information! Very much appreciated. :)

It's a shame that the MAL database has that messed up ;-;
Jan 6, 2017 5:10 PM
Mar 2008
FoolyFate said:

Thank you ^^

-Fooly

The end of this movie is the beginning of the 1995 movie.

So maybe it is considered a different series. But if you want to watch the anime in the most chronological order, I would say watch the Arise series followed by the 2 other movies followed by the Stand Alone Complex series.
Jan 6, 2017 9:09 PM

Oct 2009
The above poster is totally wrong so I'm just posting this in the hope no one is led astray by him, the end of this movie is a similar scene to the start of the 1995 movie, both taken roughly from the Manga, it is not the start of the 1995 movie, and there is no way to watch these separate continuities in chronological order.

Watch in production order.
Feb 9, 2017 6:50 PM

Apr 2012
Don't start with SAC, start with the 1995 film for the best introduction. Depending on your tastes maybe then watch the sequel Innocence (philosophy-heavy but great to look at), some of the SAC films (SSS is best), or Arise + this, which is for all purposes a prequel, then watch the 1995 film again.

SAC would probably put newbies off since it's mostly tedious "crime of the week" police procedural imo.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell (2015) Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

40 by dbatta »»
Oct 12, 2022 5:43 AM

» The last 5 minutes

shinomonogatari - Dec 12, 2019

0 by shinomonogatari »»
Dec 12, 2019 3:09 PM

» Inconsistency with rest of the series ??

Blackouting - Sep 30, 2017

3 by Blackouting »»
Dec 6, 2019 6:26 PM

» Question about the new movie " Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie"?

gusta-david - Nov 16, 2015

2 by _Rook_ »»
Nov 16, 2015 4:55 PM

» Promo/Preview and Visual (Update 6/21)

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

23 by kumashock »»
Aug 10, 2015 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.