Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 4, 2016 6:34 PM
Nov 2015
I finished watching it about 20 minutes ago and I have no idea what just happened.
Nov 4, 2016 6:46 PM

Oct 2014
I have no idea myself. I actually didn't understand the film at all and even wrote a review complaining about it. https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=220780
Nov 4, 2016 6:49 PM

Nov 2008
What is it you don't understand? It's not a difficult movie.

Nov 4, 2016 6:53 PM

Jan 2012
RandomGeekStuff said:
I finished watching it about 20 minutes ago and I have no idea what just happened.

lol was just discussing Akira with some guys yesterday in this club

https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?id=18611&action=view&t=comments&show=0

they may help you

the ending is mind blowing

Nov 4, 2016 6:56 PM

Jan 2011
Basically, "Read the manga." filler
Nov 4, 2016 7:00 PM

Nov 2008
ReaperCreeper said:
Basically, "Read the manga." filler
No. The movie is an alternate story with similar themes. The manga is abstract too.
EzekielNov 4, 2016 7:09 PM

Nov 4, 2016 7:09 PM

Jun 2015
Ezekiel said:

If it's not a difficult movie, then why are you not, you know, EXPLAINING THE ENDING?
Nov 4, 2016 7:20 PM

Nov 2008
bmoore07 said:
Ezekiel said:

If it's not a difficult movie, then why are you not, you know, EXPLAINING THE ENDING?
Because they haven't explained what they're confused about and it takes five seconds to find an answer on Google. I haven't seen it in a few months, so I can't recall all the details off the top of my head. I'd try if the OP were more specific.

Nov 4, 2016 7:29 PM

May 2015
From what I understood:

The espers resurrect Akira in a last ditch effort to stop Mutant Tetsuo.

Akira's power then goes critical mass causing a huge explosion, taking Tetsuo into some alternate plane of existence. This creates an entirely new universe in the process that is an extension of him, where he becomes a "god."

I think.
Nov 4, 2016 7:31 PM
Mar 2011
the ameoba did it simple as that ....
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 4, 2016 7:34 PM

Feb 2015
Tetsuo died, in an extravagant way.
Nov 4, 2016 7:41 PM

May 2014
Read the manga, it's so much better than the movie.
Nov 4, 2016 7:42 PM

Nov 2008
Gexis said:
I don't agree. They're both very good. The manga doesn't have the awesome sound, animation and atmosphere of the movie.

Nov 4, 2016 7:46 PM

Jun 2015
I mean, you can get really into it, but take it for face value. The kids call back Akira and in doing so get rid of gross and scary Tetsuo.

Ezekiel said:
Gexis said:
I don't agree. They're both very good. The manga doesn't have the awesome sound, animation and atmosphere of the movie.
Yup, the film is one of the nicest looking and sounding things I've ever experienced.

Nov 4, 2016 7:48 PM

May 2014
codephat said:
I mean, you can get really into it, but take it for face value. The kids call back Akira and in doing so get rid of gross and scary Tetsuo.

Ezekiel said:
Yup, the film is one of the nicest looking and sounding things I've ever experienced.

I agree the movie sounds amazing looks amazing and is amazing, but that doesn't take away the fact that the manga has a lot more material.
Nov 4, 2016 8:02 PM

Mar 2016
Portrait of a desperate world ruled by desperate men and the children who shall inherit this small planet after them. In a cruel attempt at playing God, they achieve both of that which the Almighty is known for: creation and destruction. But, whether one is a grown man or a child, they will always seek answers. For Tetsuo, those answers may be found in a place not of this Earth or not of this plane of existence. Answers that may onlyl be found in that place which we call, "The Twilight Zone".

Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Nov 4, 2016 8:16 PM

Oct 2014
Ezekiel said:
bmoore07 said:

Because they haven't explained what they're confused about and it takes five seconds to find an answer on Google. I haven't seen it in a few months, so I can't recall all the details off the top of my head. I'd try if the OP were more specific.
If you think it's so easy to understand could you try deconstructing my negative review of it? My cousin who liked the movie told me that I should just "sit back and enjoy it", but that honestly sounds about as easy as doing the same thing to Glasslip or FLCL. Whether if the plot is nonexistent or simply 2deep4me there's obviously something I'm not getting and it's not an anime I am able to enjoy.
Nov 4, 2016 11:08 PM

Nov 2008
zombie_pegasus said:
Ezekiel said:
If you think it's so easy to understand could you try deconstructing my negative review of it? My cousin who liked the movie told me that I should just "sit back and enjoy it", but that honestly sounds about as easy as doing the same thing to Glasslip or FLCL. Whether if the plot is nonexistent or simply 2deep4me there's obviously something I'm not getting and it's not an anime I am able to enjoy.
They're teenagers. Boys' and girls' faces do often look similar. Kei and Kaori definitely look more feminine than the other characters, though. I found it easy to tell the characters apart. I really don't see what you're talking about, looking at all the characters together in the link below. Obviously, there's a consistent art style between all of them, which is normal.

http://akira.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters

Kaneda and Tetsuo aren't alike. Kaneda is more easygoing and Tetsuo more bitter and indignant. Kei isn't like the other children either. She's more composed. Kaori is a dependent weakling. The characters are unique.

In addition, Akira has some of the most expressive characters of all anime.

What do you want, a synopsis? Basically, thirty years ago the Japanese military experimented with powers they couldn't comprehend, with brought about the destruction of Tokyo. They couldn't destroy Akira, so they kept it dormant and buried.

You know what... I change my mind. I'm not gonna tire myself writing this all out. Just go to Wikipedia or google it. I'm sure I'll just repeat what you already know. The story between Tetsuo and Kaneda is about lust for power, loss of humanity and friendship. The second half is an awesome power fantasy. Beyond that, the film is about man's misuse of technology, society and draws parallels to the atomic bombs. It has political corruption, religious undertones, intertwining plots (the resistance, the espers who wish to avoid destruction, the colonel who is torn about his duties and assumes martial law, the double crossing parliament member, Kaneda and Tetsuo...). The story does so much in two hours. Calling Akira generic and saying there isn't a story and nothing of value is ridiculous.
EzekielNov 4, 2016 11:20 PM

Nov 4, 2016 11:32 PM

Oct 2014
@Ezekiel Thanks for taking your time. Reading this sort of reminds me of those things that have red lines over them so that when you put red glasses on you can see the picture because I didn't get any of the story when I watched it. I think I would honestly have to read Akira in light novel form to get the story because if all that plot was in there yet somehow I didn't get any of it then I doubt rewatching it or even reading the manga would be too much better (at least the manga I could read at my own pace and re-read things I don't understand, though). I would say that it's just too chaotic for me, but I watched, enjoyed, and understood Serial Experiments Lain so I don't think that's quite the whole reason. Also, with the character designs I guess the faces do look a bit different but there are few of the characters who look like they just have different hairstyles just like how Ui in K-On! could wear her down and look exactly like her sister. Light novel form would be telling exactly which character is doing what rather than me having to remember exactly what type of spiky black hair and which red jacket represents each character. The story does sound interesting from what you describe, but I think I was just spending my effort trying to figure out who was even on screen that I wasn't really able to pay attention to the actual plot (I also watched it subbed and I don't watch too many action anime subbed).
Nov 4, 2016 11:34 PM
Jan 2013
The PSI boy goes goo goo dah dah then goes goo goo boom boom

It's pretty self explanatory
gone bai bai
Nov 6, 2016 6:47 AM

Feb 2010
It's the creation of the universe

Desktop Specs: CPU: AMD FX-4130 Quad Core @ 3.8GHz, Motherboard: ASRock N68-VS3 FX, GPU: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC (EVGA), Ram: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz, Case: Raidmax ATX (Black), Storage: 931GB Western Digital Blue (SATA), PSU: 550 watt, Display: BenQ RL2455
Nov 6, 2016 6:56 AM

Feb 2015
Everyone dies and then the movie ends.
May 22, 2017 10:53 PM

May 2017
codephat said:

Ezekiel said:

One of the earlier scenes where they're riding their bikes through Neo Tokyo is something that always resonated with me. Film is beautifully done.

Manga was impressive though.

Cant go wrong with both
Sep 23, 2019 4:49 PM
Sep 2019
Akira is a little God) Tetsuo once have met with Takashi and was involved. After all that happened, Tetsuo with all friends were happy:) love this movie

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akira Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Friendlysoul - Apr 12, 2008

221 by Kirito-and-me »»
May 31, 8:07 AM

» Am i the only one who think that akira is a bad movie? ( 1 2 )

Harley3579 - May 14, 2019

62 by Absurdo_N »»
May 16, 6:39 PM

» Akira is not cyberpunk, it's just a paranormal genre ( 1 2 )

TheRedComment - Jan 22

51 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 27, 5:11 AM

» Ending interpretation

Fukoku - Apr 13

0 by Fukoku »»
Apr 13, 11:25 AM

» Tropes created in Akira

curvedtree - Dec 22, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.