Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 6, 2016 4:09 AM

Feb 2016
I watched eva and eoe in like 2 days and i m ashtonished on how beautiful and mindfucker was...but i m confused and now i m going to put it under spoiler so if u haven t watched evangelion or code geass do it at your own risk
what do u guys think?
Sep 6, 2016 4:31 AM

Mar 2008
Is it really a borrowing worth fussing over though? After all, it wasn't actually that big a plot point in the end, being wrapped up in what, two episodes max? I don't think it even had much bearing - if any - on Britannia's oppressiveness, nor Lelouch or C.C.'s motives, so its effect on the series was pretty superficial.

Code Geass was chock-loaded with mecha/anime tropes to begin with, so one more hardly hurts.
Sep 6, 2016 5:23 AM

Feb 2016
Ckan said:
Is it really a borrowing worth fussing over though? After all, it wasn't actually that big a plot point in the end, being wrapped up in what, two episodes max? I don't think it even had much bearing - if any - on Britannia's oppressiveness, nor Lelouch or C.C.'s motives, so its effect on the series was pretty superficial.

Code Geass was chock-loaded with mecha/anime tropes to begin with, so one more hardly hurts.

I know i know but this is the ultimate goal .. I mean after so many eps asking wtf is happening u ll finally discover what they wanna do "the enemies"--> in both series so it doesn t really care if it s involved in just 2 eps.. it s the main idea of the series, the omfg moment (at least it was for me)
Sep 15, 2016 5:02 PM
Aug 2013
I don't know but I like Eva more. Code Geass was boring tho. ;)
Sep 16, 2016 2:37 AM

Feb 2016
Well boring definitely not, at all... i consider both masterpieces but Eva has something more.. The way you feel at the end.. and the osts.. come sweet death is amazing
Sep 16, 2016 6:17 AM

Apr 2015
Hello new Evangelion fan!

I also love both Code Geass and NGE/EOE to death. But the idea of unifying all of humanity under one consciousness is something not exclusive to these two series. Many, many different pieces of media have tackled this, beyond anime. It's not a new concept. The thing is, both of these series tackled the concept very well, and both can be judged independently of each other.

Evangelion was MASSIVELY influential when it was released, and it has inspired many series. From something like Code Geass to Attack on Titan, there are references to NGE, ranging from small Easter eggs to parts of a series' core story.

So no, CG didn't steal the concept. They merely took the concept and executed it in their own way, with a vastly different cast and setup.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 16, 2016 6:28 AM

Apr 2015
CG is more enjoyable
Eva is more deep but End of Eva triggered me so much that I wanted to throw my laptop away seeing that red/orange cyka is still alive, SHE MUST FUCKING DIE!!! Such a fucking degenerate doesn't deserve to live, I wish Shinji kill her in the unshown end.
Nov 26, 2016 6:49 AM
Aug 2015
In Evangelion, that entire plot point is the series' main goal. In CG, about two episodes are spend on that "revelation" and it doesn't go anywhere either. If you removed Charles' motivations from the series entirely, the outcome would have been more or less the same.
Nov 26, 2016 6:56 AM

Oct 2012
Evangelion draws inspiration/borrows/steals (depends how you see it) from other things prior to its inception. I have not seen CG, but Evangelion is by no means "original" but merely explores things in depth not commonly told.

So saying something stole something from Eva, well, it's not like Eva is above that either (and most stories in general aren't immune to this anyway). So go back to enjoying your CG, if you wish.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Nov 26, 2016 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
You don't have to feel anything cause there are older shows that have the premise of Eva and CG first anyways
Nov 29, 2016 10:04 PM

Dec 2015
Someone from Geass stated that he wanted to make his own "Char Aznable" (first Gundam antagonist), sol there is more than a single element.

Anyway, everyone borrows from elsewhere. And when it's not the case, the human mind will still come up with common things no matter where it comes from. Just look at how many similar stories mythologies share.

Last point, a warning:
Do not ever read the french novel Le compte de Monte Cristo".
Feb 5, 2017 4:28 AM
Oct 2015
How did they steal an idea lol. Just because there are mecha fights doesn't mean it's a ripoff lool
Jul 31, 2017 7:10 AM

Feb 2015
Eva is to Code Geass as Brussels Sprouts is to Pizza.
Oct 13, 2017 11:41 PM

Nov 2016
I love CG but Eva is way better.
Nov 8, 2017 11:18 AM
Jul 2017
Code geass wins by a small but important margin
Jan 25, 2018 4:48 PM

Jan 2018
Nishi_23 said:
Eva is to Code Geass as Brussels Sprouts is to Pizza.
revyHOLiC said:
I love CG but Eva is way better.
Mrkulci said:
Code geass wins by a small but important margin

honestly theyre both awesome animes in their respective genres. eva focuses more on philosophy and motivation than code geass. code geass, even tho it had the potential to, never really capitalized on the idea of the collective unconscious and it kinda felt almost like a side plot. lelouch, tho he definately does have mental battles, is never characterized in the same way shinji is; we can see inside shinji's mind and the conflicts within, but we dont ever know whats up with lelouch. code geass is more intellectual and less philosophical than evagelion. eva is a psychological anime (like serial experiments lain) and code geass is an intellectual anime (like death note). which one u like better more depends on what genre u like better than anything else
"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it." - Lord Orochimaru
Jan 25, 2018 4:50 PM

Sep 2009
Uh, that's wrong lmao. Eva stole a bit from Gundam, while Code Geass pretty much only bears resemblance to Gundam—but they're both owned by Sunrise in the first place. You can't really rip off your own work.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 19, 2018 2:00 PM

Mar 2017
CG is dozen times better than Eva.

Eva has lots of plot holes, stupid ending and 4 years worth of depression.
Feb 19, 2018 2:01 PM

Apr 2016
Yeah like why not, lets necro this completely not a bait thread.
Mar 14, 2018 1:23 AM

Sep 2017
InsaneLeader13 said:
Hello new Evangelion fan!

I also love both Code Geass and NGE/EOE to death. But the idea of unifying all of humanity under one consciousness is something not exclusive to these two series. Many, many different pieces of media have tackled this, beyond anime. It's not a new concept. The thing is, both of these series tackled the concept very well, and both can be judged independently of each other.

Evangelion was MASSIVELY influential when it was released, and it has inspired many series. From something like Code Geass to Attack on Titan, there are references to NGE, ranging from small Easter eggs to parts of a series' core story.

So no, CG didn't steal the concept. They merely took the concept and executed it in their own way, with a vastly different cast and setup.

Spoilers follow(Post doesn't reference the Evangelion movies)
That's exactly true. Code Geass deals more with the perception of evil and is more of a psychological anime than it is a dementia anime, which NGE is. For me, I like Code Geass more, but NGE is still a great anime, which was great for its time.

In NGE, it is the character's mindset that becomes their ultimate enemy, for Shinji, it is his reluctance to connect with others and trust them, along with the hate he harbors for himself, and similar feelings are expressed by Rei, Misato and others. And, combined with the scenario they are in, it is more like they are damaged by themselves rather than being damaged by others. Sure, the EVAs and the angels had some part in it, but they did not trigger the damage, they only made it more magnified.

In Code Geass however, it is not the mindset, but the circumstances that lead to each one's eventual downfall. The roles are reversed. The mind becomes the fuel for the damage done and the events become the trigger. Of course, this doesn't apply to each case per se, but it is the general case. From Lelouch's promise to his sister to his eventual downfall, everything arose due to circumstances rather than a change in mindset. Lelouch acknowledges that everyone has a little evil inside them and use masks to conceal it, however, he also says that those masks are crucial for them to look forward to the future. Without them, they would have no reason to exist. Lelouch's plan moves in accordance to this and his plan ensures that people will have a future. He sets the trigger and allows the world to magnify it positively rather than negatively.

Compare this to NGE, where the mind is the scene of the crime. What Shinji realises is that he has to change his outlook on reality. He changes his viewpoint and allows himself to connect with the world to magnify it further. He hates himself because of the actions that he took, such as killing Kaworu and following his father's will. He instead opts to go for acknowledging his mindset in the end and reconnects with everyone in the end.

While both of the series expressed it in a beautiful way, I find CG's realistic explanation better than the NGE's idealistic one. Not that I am bashing away NGE's outlook,cause I find it to be quite necessary too. And while it is blatantly obvious that Code Geass uses NGE references more than not, Code Geass uses more references from Gundam and other mecha anime as well. In fact every anime will inevitably borrow material from other anime, especially mainstream ones. That is just something that has to do with tropes and ideas. Deriving ideas is often common, but it just makes it a lot better to explore it further. Even NGE derived a lot of its ideas from earlier works.

Both of the series do try to use combining consciousness as a way to achieve global happiness, but in NGE, Shinji decides to abandon the project by being willing to do it on his own(It is not clear whether the human instrumentality project actually failed, though that is the impression NGE gives), while Lelouch decides to destroy the Connection by granting the people's wish to look forward to the future(in both the Sword of Akasha and in the end). There is not the same idealism in CG compared to what NGE preaches(that idealism is inherant in everyone) but, CG opts to go on the route that the wish to undertake the pursuit of happiness can be undertaken by everyone themselves.

Both of them are paradoxical, but are incredible pieces of work, and I am glad to have watched both of them.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Jan 25, 2019 4:50 AM

Sep 2018
Who tried to compare these two,both are great in there own ways

Eva is a piece of art that you have to pay attention to when you even wanna try to understand something.
Code Geass on the other hand is a blockbuster with a kinda easy to understand plot that isnt about interpredation or something its just for a great story and action.

The Characters are the complete opposite,Lelouch has trust in himself and is "superior" top other Humans and Shinji you know is a little child with a Trauma,lack of self confidence and Depression.

I love both but i prefere Eva because i love more in depth Storys with a wide space for inderpredation but if you are more into the pure action and more easy to understand story than code geass is maybe better for you,but watch both.

Edit: i dont say code geass has no depth but because it has the concept of "what is evil" and some other things but you cant compere it to eva with its religious references,metaphors,the idea of what is reallity and so many more things.
And wtf why even think one show stole something from the other no show stole somehting Code Geass is just inspired by Eva but so many shows are too like SnK and basicially 80% of great anime after 1998
-Mullerio-Jan 25, 2019 4:55 AM
Jan 8, 2021 8:53 AM
Aug 2020
Oh sweet hell. I'm flat out saying it fuck Geass. Okay, fuck it. Seriously this is one of the most overrated anime out. Oh what about Death Note, are kidding is incredible, some of you guys might think that it got bad after you know who dies, I don't agree. I mean for me it really went down after a certain a character lost his memory not after X's death, I mean that shit a nine, the fact that some people think Geass is better I'd frankly insulting.
God, I'm gonna sound like a hypocrite after this but, I really enjoyed watching Geass but I absolutely cannot forgive the first episodes, like let's not act like episodes 2 to nine didn't happen, cause they happened and I dispose those episodes, like I would legit continue watching bleach or FMA( I don't like those shows they're mediocre) than watch that crap again.
So what about NGE, oh you mean one of the best things to out of Japan. Like if you haven't watched NGE ( if that's even possible) do yourself a favor and try it out, note that it's not for everyone though.
NGE wins.
But still watch Geass for C.C's thighs( fucking lovely)
Jan 16, 2021 11:10 PM

Sep 2020
If you want a psychological anime that sucked at first and seething with hanging emotion and anxiety take nge,if you want a enjoyable ride take code geass,both are awesome tbh
Jan 17, 2021 5:34 PM
Dec 2020
personally I loved both but the raw emotion and pain you experience through the characters in nge just can't be matched. I found cg to be more superficial but still really enjoyable. NGE just has to win in my book though
Sep 11, 2023 6:17 PM

Mar 2021
"Eva vs code geass"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

21 by fizzydrinkk »»
Apr 24, 9:32 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Zerachroma - Jun 13, 2008

533 by rengoku09_ »»
Apr 1, 5:57 AM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.