Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 31, 2016 6:31 PM

Sep 2014
So, I've heard this season is when Fate/Kaleid Liner gets really good. But looking at the current score, this season doesn't seem to be nearly as good as the manga.

I haven't started the series yet, but I do intend to read the manga soon. I'm curious to hear about the quality of the anime and why you guys think there's a significant difference in their scores. The difference between 7.79 vs 8.34 seems considerable to me, especially when only people who enjoy it are probably watching since you have to go through multiple seasons to watch or read it.

please, NO spoilers
(feel free to talk about the F/SN vn though if necessary)
FlamepriesTAug 31, 2016 6:34 PM
Aug 31, 2016 6:46 PM
Sep 2015
I believe the difference in scores is more of a result of people voting after a certain flashback arc starts and I have a feeling that the score for the anime will rise to match the manga (or fall) depending on the next episode(s).

As for the manga vs anime, I'd say that the illustration details are better than the anime but only because still images make for better drawn illustrations of any scene. Overall the two are comparably similar, though some scenes are missing or somewhat differ from the the two.
Aug 31, 2016 6:47 PM
May 2015
There's a significant difference because of the current point the manga is at and where the anime is at as well as the art style of the manga compared to the anime. It's much more "hype" and reminiscent of a FSN route than the Fate/Kaleid we've known until now, and that seriousness is just starting in the anime on the episode that came out today. In addition to that, Hiroyama's (the author of the manga) art has increased significantly since the first part, and the anime's art hasn't been able to capture all the intensity and detail of the 3rei manga(it's really detailed at times so I don't blame them). It also seems that the art quality is decreasing in the anime, don't know if it's because of budget or because of something else, but it's definitely showing compared to the previous seasons. It's a pretty faithful adaptation, but it is lacking in some of the tension that the manga has in multiple scenes. Some foreshadowing and a little bit of minor things are missing as well, but overall, it's good. Actually got better in terms of tension on this episode, and Silver Link probably knows that the last few episodes this season need to be done really well.
Aug 31, 2016 6:59 PM

Apr 2012
I think the anime is about the same as the manga. Personally I do think 3rei is where the story gets much more interesting and Fate-esque, but I do not really think it is as good as some hype it up to be (I still like it a lot though). As for the score, the ranking for 3rei is already doing much better compared to the earlier seasons of Prisma Illya.
Aug 31, 2016 7:20 PM

Apr 2010
So far, like previous seasons, it has been a faithful adaptation.
Aug 31, 2016 7:22 PM

Sep 2014
antonn said:

Huh? I heard the second part of season 2 went full-blown yuri and had pretty much nothing to do with the manga.
Aug 31, 2016 7:33 PM

Apr 2010
FlamepriesT said:
antonn said:

Huh? I heard the second part of season 2 went full-blown yuri and had pretty much nothing to do with the manga.

You heard wrong then. I can see that being said about the OVAs though.

There's plenty of yuri fanservice scenes, but those are also in the manga.
Aug 31, 2016 8:13 PM

Nov 2010
After the first half of ep1 which serves to tie the anime-original ending of 2wei Herz! with the 3rei (and it is surprisingly well done), 3rei anime adapts the manga with cca 95% accuracy. There are some omitted stuff, but those are mostly short minor scenes, few lines, et cetera. Nothing major is dropped nor changed.

As for the score difference between manga and anime, that's because manga has just finished a certain arc which is on par (or better) with Stay Night routes. I can guarantee you that 3rei S2, which will cover that arc, will have at least 8.5 score when it airs if Silver Link delivers like they're delivering current season.
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Aug 31, 2016 8:49 PM

Sep 2014
Okay, things make more sense now. I thought shit hit the fan from the get-go. Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll never understand why they decided to go for such a weird theme like magical girls instead of making a solid, serious fate spin-off from the start. But whatever.
Aug 31, 2016 9:16 PM

Nov 2010
FlamepriesT said:
I'll never understand why they decided to go for such a weird theme like magical girls instead of making a solid, serious fate spin-off from the start. But whatever.

Blame Nasu for that XD He introduced Kaleido Ruby in Hollow Ataraxia, and Hiroyama just... took it as an inspiration. XD
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Aug 31, 2016 9:24 PM

Sep 2014
Aurioch said:
FlamepriesT said:

Blame Nasu for that XD He introduced Kaleido Ruby in Hollow Ataraxia, and Hiroyama just... took it as an inspiration. XD

Well, yeah... I mean, what was he thinking? It's kind of funny that an idea like that was taking seriously.

Nasu needs to stop slacking off and find inspiration to write another masterpiece. Yeah, like that's gonna happen...
Aug 31, 2016 9:32 PM

Nov 2010
Well, to be more serious, it's actually hard to make a spin off using Stay Night characters. Usually spin offs end up like Fate/Extra, Fate/Strange Fake or Fate/Apocrypha, which share the same universe but have no relation to Stay Night "trilogy" (Zero, Stay Night, Hollow Ataraxia).

What Hiroyama did was actually genius - take Kiritsugu's other choice (abandoning 4th HGW) and craft a new set of rules using something existing to make up for 5th HGW (Kaleidosticks + Class Cards).
astroprogs said:

Not air.
Aug 31, 2016 10:26 PM

Jul 2007
Its as good as the manga, even better in places.

The difference between manga rating and anime rating is that manga is mainly known by nasuverse peeps, while the anime is watched by far more people who refuse to treat it seriously.
Sep 1, 2016 4:27 AM

Mar 2015
There are parts that the anime either cut offed or did not deliver as well as the manga. Like the scenes were still good scenes but lacked impact due to the voice, art, or expressions. The parts that weren't adapted were pretty minor but they were pretty good moments which is quite a shame that they didn't add them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2016 4:51 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It's a faithful adaptation. Just that the parts of the manga which made it stand out so much from its predecessors don't come immediately from chapter 1. The anime is just now starting to get into the really good parts the last two episodes

Honestly though they won't get to cover all of the top tier content in this season. If/when another season comes along on the other hand it should be filled with it from start to finish
Sep 1, 2016 8:53 PM
Jul 2011
It's a good adaption, but it just has a hard time truly comparing to the manga due to just how well it is drawn. Also unlike the previous seasons where they had plenty of time to include everything as well as some anime original stuff, this time around this have to cut stuff out to make sure they can reach the point in the manga they want to. Also lastly, some of the things just work better in manga than anime form, current episode being a good example. It was a really good episode but it feels pretty weird how they just stand around and talk so much in the middle of a battle, makes the pacing feel weird, which is not an issue in the manga.

So yeah, the adaption is fine but it's just hard to compare to the manga and so it's recommend to both read the manga and watch the anime to get the full experience, the high quality art and full story in the manga and voice, sound and animations in the anime.
Sep 2, 2016 1:17 AM

Jul 2007
Fleckens said:
t was a really good episode but it feels pretty weird how they just stand around and talk so much in the middle of a battle, makes the pacing feel weird, which is not an issue in the manga.

Except it does not as it makes sense on why they would be having that conversation right now and if you alter that you get shallow fireworks of ufoubw where nofuckingbody talks about anything and shit just explodes everywhere.

Fate is about talking anyway.
Sep 2, 2016 4:11 AM

Mar 2015
Fai said:
Fleckens said:
t was a really good episode but it feels pretty weird how they just stand around and talk so much in the middle of a battle, makes the pacing feel weird, which is not an issue in the manga.

Except it does not as it makes sense on why they would be having that conversation right now and if you alter that you get shallow fireworks of ufoubw where nofuckingbody talks about anything and shit just explodes everywhere.

Gotta save that budget. ;)
Instead of talking while fighting, although it is weird but it's still preferable than just having it all fights and no talk, at this point of the story anyway, since they needed to explain some things like the current situation and why they do what they do.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2016 9:26 AM
Jul 2016
DodeDagon said:
Fai said:

Gotta save that budget. ;)
Instead of talking while fighting, although it is weird but it's still preferable than just having it all fights and no talk, at this point of the story anyway, since they needed to explain some things like the current situation and why they do what they do.

Well, all of the budget is basically focusing on the main star of the season anyway. They fact that they didn't skip the bomb that Angelica dropped about the Archer card gave how much weight they cared her the true MC of this arc.
Sep 2, 2016 11:18 AM

Jul 2007
DodeDagon said:

Gotta save that budget. ;).

There's no budget saving. Fate is moral conundrums and dialogues about philosophy between characters. ITs nice that at least ONE part of the franchise remembers that.

zhaoyun99 said:

Well, all of the budget is basically focusing on the main star of the season anyway. They fact that they didn't skip the bomb that Angelica dropped about the Archer card gave how much weight they cared her the true MC of this arc.

The nonsensical overhype like that is making me cringe more than "people die when killed" meme. "true mc"...LOL

At this point everything about this will be spoiled to people.

Illya is the main character. 3rei is great because of the whole not because of

Reminds me of people who claimed Archer was true MC of ubw.

Fights are not what makes nasuverse good.
AhenshihaelSep 2, 2016 11:21 AM
Sep 2, 2016 11:26 AM

Nov 2010
Oh come on @Fai, as much as I agree with you that Fate is mostly about morals and clashes of philosophies, you cannot say hype is a bad thing. Problem only arises when that hype is misfocused.
astroprogs said:

Not air.
Sep 2, 2016 11:31 AM
Jul 2016
Fai said:
DodeDagon said:

Gotta save that budget. ;).

There's no budget saving. Fate is moral conundrums and dialogues about philosophy between characters. ITs nice that at least ONE part of the franchise remembers that.

zhaoyun99 said:

The nonsensical overhype like that is making me cringe more than "people die when killed" meme. "true mc"...LOL

At this point everything about this will be spoiled to people.

Illya is the main character. 3rei is great because of the whole not because of

Reminds me of people who claimed Archer was true MC of ubw.

Come on, dude. Don't be so salty. You can write 10 essays of saying how great the Illya stuff but the true beef of Drei was always about him. The fact that the rating and sales got boosted was because of him doesn't change. You can tell me how great Illya was like but it was "him" and Miyu now that draw a lot more attention to the franchise. You can disagree my statement all you liked but the green paper (or Yen paper?) said otherwise.
Sep 2, 2016 11:33 AM

Jul 2007
Aurioch said:
Oh come on @Fai, as much as I agree with you that Fate is mostly about morals and clashes of philosophies, you cannot say hype is a bad thing. Problem only arises when that hype is misfocused.

Hype is ALWAYS bad, because it sets up expectations.
Its better to be surprised than to feel something under-delivered.
I was hyped as fuck about ufoubw and it hurt so much more when it delivered a stinker focusing on all the wrong things.

And yes, Hype is also bad in that it usually is misplaced and leads towards people treating something as inferior in order to hype up something else.

We already experienced something like that when fate zero viewers approached ubw or rest of nasuverse expecting death games and adults because that was what people hyped up about FZ. Remember how Gigguk hyped up Fate Zero for "all the fighting" and then we had bunch of shonen people in the episode threads crying that everybody just sits and talks for an entire episode in the show?
Or with people who got hyped up about Archer and ended up being spoiled on his identity or misunderstanding ubw conflict and cheering for the wrong guy.

With 3rei

I have seen this so many times in many fandoms - people hyping something up to the point of spoiling it, till all the surprise is drained. And the people who are new start treating everything else as "something to get through to get to it. Hell remember the "Hey HF is like Fate Zero and is the true route so just get through the other two to get to the good stuff" nonsense argument people use?

We already had this with 2wei when
AhenshihaelSep 2, 2016 11:41 AM
Sep 2, 2016 12:36 PM

Sep 2014
Just to make things clear, it's not like I'll be skipping the manga. In fact, I'll be reading it first. The thing is, I'll be reading the manga in Japanese, but I haven't gotten to the level I can easily read a whole volume in a sitting yet.

Hopefully things will be different by the time I finish reading Shingeki no Kyojin, but it'll still be a time consuming endeavor so it's a good idea to know what I'm getting into in the first place.
Sep 2, 2016 8:43 PM

Mar 2015
Fai said:

Agreed, although,

I wholeheartedly agree with the hype thing tho. Hype isn't bad but people overhype what's to come to the point that they might as well have spoiled the surprise lol
Sep 3, 2016 3:03 AM

Jul 2007
DodeDagon said:
Fai said:

Agreed, although,

I wholeheartedly agree with the hype thing tho. Hype isn't bad but people overhype what's to come to the point that they might as well have spoiled the surprise lol

And I agree with the spoiler. Its certainly some of the best written prillya material
Alas that is not what people are hyping
and the like.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2016

255 by GavrocheN7 »»
Apr 7, 2:51 PM

Poll: » Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2016

128 by GavrocheN7 »»
Apr 6, 2:48 PM

Poll: » Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2016

68 by The_Void_State_ »»
Mar 9, 12:26 PM

Poll: » Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2016

101 by Karva1 »»
Feb 22, 11:26 AM

Poll: » Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2016

104 by Karva1 »»
Feb 22, 11:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.