Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2016 1:02 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Huh, that monster or animal hybrid or whatever looked really weird. At least it's defeated so I guess there's some hope?
Mar 23, 2016 9:24 AM

Jun 2010
Ok, but everyone died?, only her survived?
Mar 23, 2016 10:30 AM

Jul 2012
Everybody is dead. Ok then.

Mar 24, 2016 1:19 PM

Dec 2013
FlareZero said:
Ok, but everyone died?, only her survived?

It's a bit of a spoiler if you haven't read Gantz,
Cos'è sta merda?
Mar 25, 2016 6:45 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
NeverStrikes said:
I start getting into this slowly.
I'm sure, that it can't surpass Gantz itself, but let's hope for a decent series at least

A decent series... you're a hopeless optimist, aren't you. I'm trying to give Oku the benefit of the doubt, but I can't help noticing how the writing keeps deteriorating with every single chapter. "This is bad." "I want to eat ramen one more time." Yeah okay, mate...

I've just reread the first chapters of Gantz and Gantz:G back to back, and if you think this has any solid chance to become a decent series you should probably do the same. So far the G has been exact same story shamelessly piggybacking on the world established by the original, except this time the characters have zero personality to them, and every dialogue feels like it's been written by a complete amateur. I mean, if having "a completely new Gantz story" with a character named Kei Kurona hasn't tripped the literary impotency flag in your head, I don't know what would.

In the original Gantz, we're immediately presented with a Holden Caulfield-like main character with a strong personality and a conflicted moral code, and his childhood friend who is pretty much his inverse: fit on the outside and with a strong sense of morals, but nowhere near having the bravery and reckless abandon of his friend he admires so much. The character dynamics between them are immediately visible and very realistic. Kei Kurono's story arc starts with him being a self-centered outsider, a person who once was at terms with oneself but ended up giving up on the society and its values; as the story goes, he experiences loss, true love, a sense of friendship and camaraderie, the will to protect his loved ones with his own life, and he reestablishes his self-respect and the will to live. He starts with nothing and ends with everything.

Fast-forward to Gantz:G. The main character immediately shows herself to be selfless and heroic, eager to show her pantsu to reader-kun in her overbearing selflessness. She doesn't have any kind of visible character conflict that would make her remotely interesting. She's not much of an outsider among her peers, she doesn't have an open conflict with society, and compared to Kurono she doesn't look like she's starting her way at the bottom of the ladder. She's basically a cookie-cutter protagonist, a flat cardboard cutout given a name of a character that is orders of magnitude deeper.

I'll probably keep reading this a while longer because I like to believe in miracles, but this work has already tripped all the loser flags in my book. I don't expect anything good out of it by this point. IMO mr. Oku should just do some contract work for a good writer for a story that has nothing to do with Gantz. No need to taint its legacy any further.
Mar 25, 2016 8:12 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
I think you're reading too deep into what I'm saying. Gantz:G is not a bad manga and I don't hate it. It's just mediocre compared to the potency of the original work and, so far, is poorly written in general. It's undoubtedly guilty of self-plagiarism and piggybacking upon an established world and its premise. But I like that premise and I don't want to be unduly harsh in my rating simply because the writing isn't as good as it was a decade ago—but I will drop it to 6 or lower if it keeps up being as mediocre as it is. Note that I usually don't keep reading anything I rate 5 or less unless it's a one-shot.

That being said, my main beef with Gantz:G is that it claims to be "shocking and fresh" but is anything but: it's very much a case of the proverbial old dog and new tricks; a piece of a birthday cake that, while retaining some of the taste, has long gone stale. I can't even say I'm disappointed because every side-story and adaptation of Gantz so far has already been a rather hopeless cash grab for the most part (the TV anime's second season kind of put itself on track by the end. A different track, yes—but it managed to save its face at least), and the original story's final few chapters felt rather unrealistic and unsatisfying in many ways (that nonchalant escape from the orbit... yeah). Which is why Oku should have let the world rest and focused on Inuyashiki or whatever he's been doing since the end of Gantz.

You've mentioned Attack on Titan. There's a prequel to it (endorsed but non-canon as far as I know) called Before the Fall. Similarly to the situation with Gantz, I started reading it because I liked the world of SnK. The first few chapters felt pretty terrible as they were just reciting every bad manga/anime trope out there, and seeing it in the well-established setting of SnK, relatively free of the bad cliche, was doubly insulting. I was on the verge of dropping it, but decided to humor it for a few more chapters. And then some more cast/character development had occurred and it somehow got rid of some of the badness and became alright. I'm not dropping Gantz:G because I'm hoping a similar thing will happen to it.
Mar 25, 2016 8:14 PM

Apr 2012
The Beast Alien was way more awesome than I expected. I loved this chapter but seriously the pacing totally felt off. Kurona is as badass as Kurono without even surviving a single mission. The two veterans might as well be chump noobs. & was it just me or was the time lag on the guns nil here? My major disappointment was with how the Beast Alien died off with one shot but could rip threw suits like paper. Talk about anticlimactic...
Aug 25, 2016 3:41 AM

May 2015
It feels quite weird seeing that Nishi doppelganger actually acting like a decent human being. Go back to being a psychotic chuunibyou dude!
Jun 12, 2017 5:26 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Cool "Lion"!!! xD
Will it be the end of the mission? How many comeback to the room? :/
Jan 14, 2018 3:45 AM

Jun 2012
That's some nasty lion.

It's a shame the chicks group died earlier hahaha
Dec 13, 2021 2:35 AM
Oct 2008
I feel like it's a joke at this point to have the suits offer essentially no protection anymore. One hit is all it takes to take off limbs or just bisect you.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gantz:G Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

30 by Pain_The_Kami »»
Apr 24, 7:34 AM

Poll: » Gantz:G Chapter 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2016

14 by FedeMetal »»
Nov 27, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Gantz:G Chapter 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2016

6 by FedeMetal »»
Nov 26, 2023 10:50 AM

Poll: » Gantz:G Chapter 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2016

11 by FedeMetal »»
Nov 26, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Gantz:G Chapter 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2016

6 by FedeMetal »»
Nov 26, 2023 8:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.