Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 20, 2016 9:24 PM

Sep 2015
At the time of typing this, I have watched up to episode 31 of Slam Dunk. I almost feel like Sakuragi has barely improved at all despite being the main character.

Slam Dunk so far has led me to believe that Rukawa should have been the main character since he gets all the credit for practically everything. Sakuragi is assumed to be an idiot who always lets the team down. (Which pisses me off).

Maybe Sakuragi's character will improve later on and he will become a valuable asset to the team. With out spoiling, can you tell me if Sakuragi's character develops and becomes an important member of the team?

I'm really unsure if I should watch 70 more episodes of Rukawa and the "not important" character Sakuragi Hanamichi.
Feb 20, 2016 9:36 PM

Sep 2014
@Nexorce
I don't really remember all to well. I got about 80 episodes in but stopped watching because of how dragged out the games felt.

Without sounding too spoilerish, Michi has a really good jump as shown in the first few episodes. Meaning his dunks should be astounding. As far as scoring goes, he really hasn't scored much to where I am. I don't think he even qualifies for a 5 points per game average or my memory is just playing tricks on me.

I remember that he is a monster under the rim when it comes to rebounding. He does develop quite well actually (I think).

I hope I'm not misinforming you, because I don't remember much about the series.
Feb 20, 2016 10:26 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion
Feb 20, 2016 10:37 PM

Apr 2015
Yes, Sakuragi (progressively) becomes very important to the team. Other than the practice match with Ryonan, they haven't faced a team where Sakuragi was needed. His potential impact becomes very apparent by the late 30s/early 40s episode. By the end of the anime, Sakuragi is almost as instrumental to victory as Akagi and Rukawa. By the end of manga, I think only Rukawa is more important from a production standpoint. Though of course, Akagi's is the spiritual and structural foundation of the team.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Rukawa is so much better than Sakuragi. Both are blessed with talent, but Rukawa's played competitively for years. In comparison, Sakuragi has about 2-3 months experience. Plus, its not like Rukawa's stagnant, he's improving steadily as well. You might be disappointed if you're expecting him to surpass Rukawa within their first year.
Feb 21, 2016 12:43 AM

Sep 2015
Austershalin said:
Yes, Sakuragi (progressively) becomes very important to the team. Other than the practice match with Ryonan, they haven't faced a team where Sakuragi was needed. His potential impact becomes very apparent by the late 30s/early 40s episode. By the end of the anime, Sakuragi is almost as instrumental to victory as Akagi and Rukawa.

Alright I'll give this anime another shot, I've also just started reading the manga as well since I heard it was better than the anime.
Feb 21, 2016 12:48 AM

Jan 2009
Nexorce said:
Austershalin said:
Yes, Sakuragi (progressively) becomes very important to the team. Other than the practice match with Ryonan, they haven't faced a team where Sakuragi was needed. His potential impact becomes very apparent by the late 30s/early 40s episode. By the end of the anime, Sakuragi is almost as instrumental to victory as Akagi and Rukawa.

Alright I'll give this anime another shot, I've also just started reading the manga as well since I heard it was better than the anime.

the manga have the inter-high story arc and its the final story arc too which the anime did not animate, so thats why a lot of people are saying the manga is better
Mar 29, 2016 9:14 PM

Dec 2015
yep 100% needed, and when you've done with the anime read the manga, he's a savior in Shohoku vs Sannoh
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky

More topics from this board

» I don't like sports in general

mydaddy - May 17

9 by Dragon456hon »»
May 21, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Mar 24, 2008

79 by oikawaprai »»
May 4, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 46 Discussion

Jawaese - Jul 31, 2011

28 by kudzuken »»
May 2, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 84 Discussion

Zerachroma - Mar 24, 2008

41 by oikawaprai »»
May 2, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 95 Discussion

ember-moon - Jul 12, 2013

6 by bucciest »»
Apr 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.