Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 12, 2015 6:22 AM

Aug 2009
2nd episode and I'm still going
Jul 12, 2015 8:29 AM

Jun 2008
Yuck more bug monsters :(
Really liked the soundtrack in this episode.
Jul 12, 2015 9:54 AM

Aug 2013
Kay_Lite said:
Too bad they changed the scenes where Tora used the stoned Asako to brushed off the bugs! It was kinda funny in the manga.

All in all, great adaptation. They better not make this into a monster-of-the-week kind of anime though.

No, it's in there, they just do it so quick you might miss it.

A lot of shounen anime start off with a few episodes of monster of the week, before getting into the plot. It gives the protagonists a chance to get introduced, and to discover a few of their basic abilities before getting thrown into the fire of plot and antagonists.

I think Tora might mellow out on killing humans a little bit after he discovers all the fun shit we've come up with in the last few hundred years. Modern humans would love the shit out him, as long as he's not murdering people.
Jul 12, 2015 12:18 PM

Jun 2011
That was a pretty entertaining episode. I'm liking the chemistry between Ushio and Tora. The juxtaposition of the comedic and serious moments is handled well for the most part.
Jul 12, 2015 12:19 PM

Jun 2011
Pat_To_Do-List said:
There were definitely some questionable things that need to get answered:

1. Why didn't Tora just help Ushio by bring his spear to him? Instead, he tried to avoid the barrier to close again. This feels like a forced drama.

2. We, & even Tora said it again, knew that Ushio was in a normal human state when he's not holding his spear. And at that time, his neck got punctured by that rock samurai. He should've bleed to death! I mean, he got punctured in the neck & got destroyed. I do not think normal human could withstand that.

3. The spear suddenly moved by itself right at the moment where Ushio & Tora almost got defeated was too convenient.

4. When Ushio broke free from the rock curse, his clothes still on. But when his friends broke free, their clothes somehow disappeared? Why?

But I must say I am still enjoying solely because I fancy the old school style of this anime show, nothing else.

1. As soon as Tora realised that he was about to lose his prospective 'prey' to the Rock Eater, he was going to do just that, that is, help Ushio, for which he needed to stop the barrier from closing in and make space for himself. In the process, however, he winded up getting impaled by the Rock Eater, rendering him powerless.

2. I think the very fact that the Rock Eater didn't release him after impaling his neck prevented him from bleeding to death. He was injured, yes, but he didn't bleed enough to lose consciousness or die altogether, because the tentacle/trunk(?) his neck was pierced with kept the bleeding under control. Had the Rock Eater pulled out, it'd have had been the end of him I suppose.

3. Yeah, I was thinking the same. I'd prefer if they keep tabs on such instances. But on another thought, this was but the second episode of the show and we don't know much about the spear at this point. So, in my opinion, we should wait for the show to let us on a bit more about it, instead of jumping the gun.

4. Because, fanservice.
_RikaJul 12, 2015 8:09 PM
Jul 12, 2015 5:12 PM

Jul 2010
AOTY. Simply as that.
It's been awhile since I enjoyed a old school shounen, I thought I would never come to like them again but here we are.

Btw, it's funny how people still complain on MotW format again, are we back on JoJo's threads again? Jeez.
Jul 12, 2015 8:18 PM

Sep 2013
Tora is best girl. No really I think I'm going to love this show if they keep the focus on them tryig to work out as a team.
Jul 12, 2015 8:38 PM

Jan 2013
Akanezora said:
AOTY. Simply as that.
It's been awhile since I enjoyed a old school shounen, I thought I would never come to like them again but here we are.

Btw, it's funny how people still complain on MotW format again, are we back on JoJo's threads again? Jeez.

"oh it's the chain of events again dropped" will happen in a few years I hope.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 13, 2015 10:27 AM

Dec 2008
I think I watched to many this kind of series as this one is average for me so far.
Jul 13, 2015 6:04 PM

Jul 2010
Getting better and better with each minute.Animation is glorious, and Ushio and Tora's relationship is just funny and epic at same time, the way i like it.
Hopefully this gets a decent villain too, but yeah...for now i can say this is shaping up to be one of best shows this season.
Jul 13, 2015 7:02 PM

Feb 2012
Best anime this season hands down, heck maybe AOTY. Amazing episode.
Jul 14, 2015 10:47 AM

Dec 2011
Really love the comedy antics between Ushio and Tora. I also like the part where Tora is sooo amazed seeing himself on the TV. Hahaha. Old age meets technology.

I wonder if Ushio (as an exorcist) will become a secret like most characters hiding their true self or will be revealed to others soon enough. I can't wait for more, hopefully we get to a great arc soon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2015 2:41 PM

Dec 2014
Good stuff once again. It's gonna be episodic for a while by the looks of it. But it will get serious, unlike Kyoukai no Rinne
Jul 14, 2015 3:48 PM

Jul 2008
People complaining about the monster-of-the-week in episode 2 of a Shounen... I mean, most Shounens start as monster-of-the-week to introduce the main characters (and to let the Mangaka buy some time to plan out the future chapters) and then start a more linear plot.
Jul 14, 2015 3:53 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty sure I just watched another episode of Ghost Stories.
There's no need for all this tension.
Jul 15, 2015 12:28 AM

Mar 2012
The thing that's really bugging me is how Tora gets easily defeated by Ushio but then Ushio gets his ass beat by the Rock Eater. Tora also seems stronger than that monster.

There's also the fact that he could kill Ushio at any given moment since he's just chilling on top of his shoulders. Hell he could do it while he's sleeping, taking a piss or showering. He also ends up helping him out in the end.

So what I've gathered here is that either the writers couldn't come up with a better way of having the two of them become buddies or Tora is just a tsundere who never planned on killing Ushio.
Jul 15, 2015 11:04 AM

Jul 2015
Best anime this season.
Jul 15, 2015 4:40 PM

Apr 2015
I wasn't even going to watch this anime, but a friend convinced me. Glad he did, this is actually pretty good. o-o
Jul 16, 2015 9:09 AM

Dec 2012
Another good episode, the parternship begins !
Jul 16, 2015 11:00 AM

Feb 2013
Avenger-senpai said:
The thing that's really bugging me is how Tora gets easily defeated by Ushio but then Ushio gets his ass beat by the Rock Eater. Tora also seems stronger than that monster.

There's also the fact that he could kill Ushio at any given moment since he's just chilling on top of his shoulders. Hell he could do it while he's sleeping, taking a piss or showering. He also ends up helping him out in the end.

So what I've gathered here is that either the writers couldn't come up with a better way of having the two of them become buddies or Tora is just a tsundere who never planned on killing Ushio.
Thing is Tora had a moment to charge up lightning against that Samurai thing and was able to break it apart, something that Ushio wouldn't allow if they were to fight seriously. Also he actually is serious about killing Ushio, he just wanted to go to school with him and learn about human culture and stuff.
gedataJul 16, 2015 11:04 AM
Jul 16, 2015 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
So much fun!! This anime is awesome so far and I love everything especially the action.

The interaction between them is pretty fun to watch as well :D
Jul 16, 2015 4:56 PM

Jun 2014
Awesome episode, Tora was too cute while watching himself on tv. & they were both so beastly when watching the Rock Eater, I can't get enough of Ushio's transformation, the long hair looks so good.
4/5

Mirorin said:
And the ED is better the 2nd episode around. :D

Right, I didn't like it last week but now I wanna hear the full version.

Voidling said:
Also, that spear acting on it's own was such an asspull.

If it happened towards the end of the series then maybe but we just got introduced to the spear, we don't know what it's capable of yet. It was very convenient but saying it's an asspull is ridiculous.
babymimiJul 16, 2015 5:02 PM
Jul 17, 2015 8:16 AM

Jun 2014
Wow this was an amazing episode. The humor was nice. Looking forward to the next episode!
Jul 17, 2015 9:10 PM

Mar 2014
First episode was better, but this was still great.

I find it a little distracting how they updated the technology to be cell-phones and flatscreen TVs, though. It would have been more nostalgic if they kept it set in the 90's, but I guess it's not really a big deal.
::End of Transmission::

Jul 19, 2015 2:30 PM

May 2014
So this is Yuma's VA?
I knew I heard him before when I watched the first episode but I just noticed it here XD

I'm really enjoying this series, and I'm pretty much watching because of Mapps, so let's hope they do a good adaption.

Jul 22, 2015 5:08 PM

Jun 2013
Tora is love, Tora is life.

Love how Ushio's hair seemingly disintegrates like powder when he's not holding his spear.
臭い-
Jul 25, 2015 5:56 PM

Jul 2009
Tora is so funny! I adore him!
Aug 1, 2015 4:15 PM
Mar 2012
Ushio makes long hair so manly! Good action.
Pokemon's ojiisan confirmed.
fantastic ED music.
There's a new VOLN studio cooperating besides mappa.
gophercgAug 1, 2015 4:23 PM
Sep 4, 2015 7:46 AM

Jan 2014
Another great episode!
Tora is such a tsundere :3
Sep 4, 2015 7:54 AM

Oct 2013
Worse than the first episode, yet still quite enjoyable. I'm surprised by the speed Ushio and Tora's relationship is developing. Honestly, I expected a good half a dozen or more episodes before Tora started willingly helping Ushio.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 10, 2015 8:49 AM

Nov 2011
Too bad this episode bring with it a situational context a little obvious, since certain situations are already corny, but that still did not give me much trouble; But this was right to do it. Narratively it excites as above but the action was and is well made. A final criticism is necessary because some misplaced nude scene at the end, oh well!
The only criticism of the opening, is the fact that already show the main characters of the story, Ugh!
Sep 17, 2015 8:18 PM
Apr 2015
ThrashMatto said:
Drake1000 said:
Meh so far I'm really not seeing what's so legendary about this shonen, it's going a cliche monster of the week route which I really don't like.

Agreed, i'm dropping it here because it's obviously not for me. Nothing against people who do like it it's just not my thing.
Won't be adding to my dropped list or rating it low, seems unfair to do so this early on, don't want to skew the overall site rating of it.

It's monster of week in the same way that One Piece's arcs are monsters of the week - the plot still moves.
Sep 17, 2015 8:36 PM
Apr 2015
_Rika said:
Pat_To_Do-List said:
There were definitely some questionable things that need to get answered:

1. Why didn't Tora just help Ushio by bring his spear to him? Instead, he tried to avoid the barrier to close again. This feels like a forced drama.

2. We, & even Tora said it again, knew that Ushio was in a normal human state when he's not holding his spear. And at that time, his neck got punctured by that rock samurai. He should've bleed to death! I mean, he got punctured in the neck & got destroyed. I do not think normal human could withstand that.

3. The spear suddenly moved by itself right at the moment where Ushio & Tora almost got defeated was too convenient.

4. When Ushio broke free from the rock curse, his clothes still on. But when his friends broke free, their clothes somehow disappeared? Why?

But I must say I am still enjoying solely because I fancy the old school style of this anime show, nothing else.

1. As soon as Tora realised that he was about to lose his prospective 'prey' to the Rock Eater, he was going to do just that, that is, help Ushio, for which he needed to stop the barrier from closing in and make space for himself. In the process, however, he winded up getting impaled by the Rock Eater, rendering him powerless.

2. I think the very fact that the Rock Eater didn't release him after impaling his neck prevented him from bleeding to death. He was injured, yes, but he didn't bleed enough to lose consciousness or die altogether, because the tentacle/trunk(?) his neck was pierced with kept the bleeding under control. Had the Rock Eater pulled out, it'd have had been the end of him I suppose.

3. Yeah, I was thinking the same. I'd prefer if they keep tabs on such instances. But on another thought, this was but the second episode of the show and we don't know much about the spear at this point. So, in my opinion, we should wait for the show to let us on a bit more about it, instead of jumping the gun.

4. Because, fanservice.

1. Beyond that, Tora at this time 1) still on the fence about helping human, and 2) afraid of the spear.

2. That's the Rock Eater's opus moderandi. He eats human fear by turning them into rock with the impaling, he won't let Ushio die before that happens.

3. There is a huge back story about the spear. It's not ass pull like many here are already alluding to - they might want to read executive summaries instead of watching anime.

4. Fan service is the main reason. An unofficial explanation is that they've turned into rocks longer (it's a bit hard to tell the time lapse in the anime format - more clear in the manga).
Sep 17, 2015 8:56 PM
Apr 2015
Voidling said:
It was an alright episode. It looks like Tora's character developed from the last episode, which is nice. Why didn't the policemen follow Ushio when he was clearly trespassing? Also, that spear acting on it's own was such an asspull.

It looks like the show is going to follow the "monster of the week" formula, which I'm not particularly a fan of. Hopefully it will introduce a more linear plotline later on. Overall 3/5

Asspull? That only makes sense if you actually know the logics governing this world, which you don't after only two episodes.
Sep 17, 2015 8:58 PM
Apr 2015
il-Palazzo said:
Amusingly, when I first heard that Fujita is going to cut something to end this anime in 3 cours, the first think I thought is "They probably cut the stone armor thingy, that's totally filler".

I guess what I forgot is this is the first time U&T is caught on camera and broadcasted, which become important later on.

Next episode is still pretty much filler IMO, but a visually impressive filler (read: creepy as fuck) so I'm OK with it.

Not a filler. It introduces another character that'll play a role in the plot, though not a main.
Nov 9, 2015 12:34 PM
Dec 2013
Very fun episode.
I liked it! ^_^
Nov 14, 2015 1:49 AM

Nov 2014
I loved the episode even though it was pretty cliche.
The humour gets me every time XD
May 11, 2016 12:57 PM

Apr 2016
This show is funny as hell :)
Jun 26, 2016 7:59 PM

Sep 2015
This episode was a lot of fun, already picking up what it's dropping in a major way. Like everyone else I love Tora. His constant near lethal skirmishes with Ushio, him getting into Ushio's History class, and his surprise decision to save Ushio at the end. He can use the "I'm the only one who gets to eat him" excuse all he wants, but I think we're already seeing him begrudgingly get attached to Ushio.

I also thought the monster of the week was pretty entertaining. I give it some props that it was set up to do some pretty groddy fanservice but it essentially cut straight from the girls being freed to them in like shock blankets. I like a little ecchi but I respect a show with a little restraint too. Wonder if it was more graphic in the manga.
Apr 14, 2017 4:42 AM

Feb 2013
Tora destroyed the TV and lol, he likes being in class.
Cool fight, I want them to figure out that Ushio saved them fast.
Sep 17, 2017 11:42 PM

Dec 2012
Oh shit. Of course the cute girl got turned to stone.
Stonetacle.
LMAO Tora used the stone girl to hit those tentacles.
Okay...I'm pretty sure the spear stabbed him so how did he not get wounded?
Sugoi! They're naked.

Dat OST gets to me again.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 19, 2019 8:59 AM
Jun 2013
nice buddy moment between leads, but I still ask what happened to the girl who turned to stone asking for help. I mean is she dead or what?
Oct 30, 2021 7:51 PM

Aug 2018
great episode, i love it

Aug 3, 2023 11:05 AM
Aug 2022
Spitting on his spear, hmm hmmm very nice.
Sep 2, 2023 9:09 PM
Oct 2021
It just keeps getting better. I dare say, the only thing I don't like so far are the character designs of the two MCs
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2015

63 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 8, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2015

216 by LancelotSB »»
Mar 18, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2015

75 by Maou_heika »»
Mar 11, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2015

48 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Aug 13, 2023 9:06 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2015

73 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Aug 13, 2023 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.